Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

TD Starts soon

Old 06-14-19, 07:25 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
TD Starts soon

I know that there are other subforums dealing with long distance competitions and such but a lot of people don't know about some of the events that go on in the country.
So, FWIW, the Tour Divide kicks off in about 40 minutes from now.

Tour Divide 2019 live tracker by trackleaders.com

Several years ago, my son told me about a movie regarding this big mountain bike race. At the time I was only road riding and had no interest in mountain biking or racing in general. I had even less interest in watching a movie about it. One Friday night with nothing else to do, I relented and we watched the movie "Ride the Divide". At the end, I was quiet, my wife looked at me and said, "Oh God, you want to do that, don't you?"
I've never started the race with the grand depart, but I've ridden South out of Banff 3 times in the last 3 years. I would have been up there 2 weeks from today had my wife not broken an ankle. We will fly up in late August though and my son and I will be riding it again next year.
Old 06-14-19, 07:35 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,272 Times in 7,224 Posts
I saw groups of participants twice on the Pioneer Mountains Scenic Byway and in the town of Wise River, both of which are in Montana, while I was touring out there. I am not a minimalist, so it was neat to see the different setups they had. One year I was having lunch at the Wise River Club when a few of them came in. A couple of them ordered really high caloric foods, including milk shakes. A storm had blown through earlier and they were pretty wet and dirty. Next up for them was the 26 mile climb up the Byway, which I had just come down. At least that section is paved.

Cannot imagine doing what those guys and gals do.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-14-19, 07:46 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
My first time, I covered 330+ miles in 3 days before a heat rash made it unbearable to sit on a saddle.
The funniest part was that we the first time that I'd ever ridden more than 100 miles in 1 day. I ended up doing it 3 in a row.