Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Wipperman 11 Speed Quick Link

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 06-16-19, 12:44 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

We had to perform a first ever field conversion to single speed yesterday. None of us had a Shimano quick link so, we had to make sure that the link pin was not completely pushed out of the link. It took some effort and we were successful in our conversion.

I watching a YouTube video last night to see if there was something we could have done differently. A video popped up regarding the Wipperman 11 Speed Quick Link.

This looks particularly interesting. Not only for in the field use but, also for everyday use.

Any exercise from the gravel crowd.
Old 06-16-19, 01:10 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Wipperman says they're re-usable....but dirty secret, many many of us open/close KMC links that cost 6X less each once or twice over the life of a chain. Yes, we're terrible human beings that are probably going to die horrid deaths.

Buy a 6-pack, leave one always in your tool bottle/bag. Since chains became non-pinnable in the field without peening, I haven't left home without at least one link-set.
https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Missing-s.../dp/B01G9RYY5O
Old 06-16-19, 01:14 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Yep, the Wipperman/Connex link is a false economy, because the "one time use" quick-links from SRAM, Shimano, KMC, etc, will all last the life of the chain at minimum. I do hot wax on my chains, so every one of my quick links gets popped open and re-closed 10-12 times during the lifespan of the chain. I carry two spares, but have never needed one.

I've only broken one quick link ever. A Wipperman. Pin pulled right out of the plate.
Old 06-16-19, 08:02 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Yep, the Wipperman/Connex link is a false economy, because the "one time use" quick-links from SRAM, Shimano, KMC, etc, will all last the life of the chain at minimum. I do hot wax on my chains, so every one of my quick links gets popped open and re-closed 10-12 times during the lifespan of the chain. I carry two spares, but have never needed one.

I've only broken one quick link ever. A Wipperman. Pin pulled right out of the plate.
+1, once or twice? At least a dozen times per chain for KMC/sram 11 speed and I've never broken one
Old 06-17-19, 01:30 PM
MAGAIVER

Bikes: Kona Unit, Kona Kahuna, Kona Dew DL, Scott Big Jon, Trek Checkpoint ALR4, KHS Urban Soul, Haro Team Issue, GT Force Expert Carbon, Bernardi Quadra.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 25 Posts
I run KMC quicklinks on all my bikes and I didn't even know you're not suposed to reuse them. Never had an issue reusing those links.
Old 06-17-19, 07:05 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 483 Posts
If you don't mind getting dirty, they're no problem to separate using just your fingers.

I have the goofy chain tool/headset cap. In it resides a spare link. I have never used it.
Old 06-17-19, 07:06 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I use Connex chains on all of my bikes. The chains come with the wipperman quick link. I have never had a failure and they make maintenance and cleaning a breeze because you can remove the chain as many times as you want without any ill effects.