Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is it weird to ride just on trails?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 09-22-15, 07:47 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts

Well I have a mountain bike and road bike. For the longest time, I was riding my mountain bike on long, paved trails. Then I got a road bike and started riding them on the paved trails. I also recently just started riding my mountain bike on mountain like trails. And that's a whole new ballgame in of itself and am really starting to like mountain biking as well.

But I do have a little bit of a phobia riding in traffic, next to cars. I haven't done it very much other than around the block and maybe a little bit on bike lanes. But other than that, I've just felt a little apprehensive, so basically I've just been a trail rider with both my mountain and road bike.

But I feel like I'm not really being a true cyclist by not doing the roads. When I watch The Tour De France, that looks appealing in a sense and at times I just wish roads were free of cars. So I feel like I'm limiting myself by not doing the roads and I just don't feel like I'm being the full cyclist that others are.

I've seen some youtube videos, and have read stories of some crazy things happening on the road. You can't stop a drunk driver or a selfish truck driver, no matter how safe you are. Some people don't care if they hit you, they just wanna go fast. I feel like if you're driving a car and get hit, at least you have protection. But what happens when you get hit on a bike? I just can't even imagine.

Am I too paranoid? Or is my phobia justified? Should I ride only on the quietest roads? Or is trail riding good enough? I mean since there are a lot of trails both paved and mountains, would I be an idiot trying to ride with traffic?
Old 09-22-15, 08:01 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by DreamRider85
Well I have a mountain bike and road bike. For the longest time, I was riding my mountain bike on long, paved trails. Then I got a road bike and started riding them on the paved trails. I also recently just started riding my mountain bike on mountain like trails. And that's a whole new ballgame in of itself and am really starting to like mountain biking as well.

But I do have a little bit of a phobia riding in traffic, next to cars. I haven't done it very much other than around the block and maybe a little bit on bike lanes. But other than that, I've just felt a little apprehensive, so basically I've just been a trail rider with both my mountain and road bike.

But I feel like I'm not really being a true cyclist by not doing the roads. When I watch The Tour De France, that looks appealing in a sense and at times I just wish roads were free of cars. So I feel like I'm limiting myself by not doing the roads and I just don't feel like I'm being the full cyclist that others are.

I've seen some youtube videos, and have read stories of some crazy things happening on the road. You can't stop a drunk driver or a selfish truck driver, no matter how safe you are. Some people don't care if they hit you, they just wanna go fast. I feel like if you're driving a car and get hit, at least you have protection. But what happens when you get hit on a bike? I just can't even imagine.

Am I too paranoid? Or is my phobia justified? Should I ride only on the quietest roads? Or is trail riding good enough? I mean since there are a lot of trails both paved and mountains, would I be an idiot trying to ride with traffic?
Well, you can't live your life in fear, but you also have to balance that line of paranoia and just good common sense. Sounds like you are leaning on the common sense side to me.

I love trails and greenways. The surroundings, scenery, simplicity, and yes... the safety aspect which is less stressful. Who says you have to ride on the roads and streets to be a "full cyclist?" The fact that you are RIDING makes you a cyclist, in my book. That's the main thing. Honestly, I only ride on the streets when I need or have to. I'd much rather be on a greenway, and have no problem whatsoever saying it.

Ride where your heart and mind combined ...lead you.
Old 09-22-15, 08:04 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I also recently just started riding my mountain bike on mountain like trails...
That's a start. Life just got more interesting, didn't it?

.. little bit of a phobia riding in traffic, next to cars. I haven't done it very much ...

...not really being a true cyclist...
...I'm limiting myself ...
... have read stories...
... I just can't even imagine...
...paranoid...
...phobia...
... would I be an idiot...
Well, you've defined the boundaries of your problem. Idiot, no. Risk averse...maybe.

To what are you clinging? What are you willing to risk/lose to gain the freedom and experience of riding on the road. What holds you back?

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 09-22-15 at 08:07 AM. Reason: clarifying questions
Old 09-22-15, 08:18 AM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on the location and environment too, people do get hit. City is probably the most dangerous but in some ways i think the middle is most dangerous, a fairly crowded place with medium constant traffic and no bike accommodations. Cities are busier but have some accommodations and slower traffic. In the boonies, you have space and may not see any cars all day. In the suburbs you may have some quiet roads but I think some roads people shouldn't be riding. There's no room, cars are going too fast, the roads curve all over and its busier and busier every year. Mountain biking is inherently dangerous too but you're a little more in control and there's everything from smooth flat dirt trails to going straight down a mountain.
Old 09-22-15, 08:22 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

I quoted your post in its entirety because it’s a pretty comprehensive description of attitudes among many new to riding (not otherwise specified). FYA, see this thread, ” Bike Riding vs Cycling”.

For me, cycling is a lifestyle for transportation and fitness, so road riding is necessary (and enjoyable). My one piece of advice is to use a rearview mirror to instill confidence. It’s probably also a good idea to start on lightly traveled roads and work your way up.

BTW, I was hit and off work for three months with a fractured sacrum that still bothers me, but allows for riding, more enthusiastically than ever. Nonetheless, in acknowledging your concerns, I have previously posted,

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice...

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened…

In this Society, IMO, it is what it is, and I just wanted to expose the Dark Side, FWIW. Nonetheless, the Force (to ride) is strong within me and is my own individual responsibility.
Old 09-22-15, 08:28 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Umm, where to start. Mountain bikers are true cyclists, adrenaline junkies with mad skills. Unlike some roadies who just pedal pave. Tour de Farce? How much doping are you going to do? Carpe diem. Get a mirror, use it, take some bike skills classes to get a better feel for biking on the road. Ride what you like, pave, dirt, bike paths, tour, race, bikepack, whatever. You only have to answer to yourself. Saturday I left early, took the fat bike on singletrack, gravel roads and paved roads. Did 4 hours of mountain bike trail work and pedaled home, all good.
Old 09-22-15, 08:34 AM
Supermau

Bikes: 2015 Giant Anyroad 1, 26 HT MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First rule of cycling - throw away the rules (except the safety ones!). I think it's perfectly normal to be apprehensive about road riding because let's face it, it's potentially quite dangerous. Once I started commuting I grew more comfortable with riding on the road, but only certain roads.

I see a lot of roadies in my area riding on what seem to me to be very risky roads - high traffic, high speed areas with no shoulder. Most of them have no lighting. It's insane! At least to me it is.

You have to do what is fun and safe for you. Fitting in with "real cyclists" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Have fun and ride to your comfort level. The more you ride the more your comfort level evolves.
Old 09-22-15, 08:46 AM
Catinella

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX (2015), Trek 1500 SLR (2005)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It sounds like you have many trails available to you, great! If you enjoy riding them and feel safe while doing so, why change anything? If you feel you are missing something by not riding on the road, maybe try an early Sunday morning ride with a friend.
Old 09-22-15, 09:29 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's not weird. Most of the riders I see on my commute are probably trails-only cyclists.

It depends on the trail and roads and how you ride, but there's a chance that your traffic isn't as dangerous as you fear. I do enjoy being away from cars on a trail or mup, but I also feel at less risk of an accident when I'm on the streets.
Old 09-22-15, 09:29 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But I do have a little bit of a phobia riding in traffic, next to cars. I haven't done it very much other than around the block and maybe a little bit on bike lanes.
I think this is normal for anyone with very little experience riding on the roads. I learned how to ride a bike just this past May. Fear of being on the road with cars was one of several fears I had to overcome, if I wanted to commute by bike to work. Also, I didn't really have a choice because there's no safe way to get to any trail from my house without riding on the road. After a couple of months of riding experience, I got used to being on the road with cars.

I think the sidewalks are a bit more dangerous to ride on here. My first cycling injuries happened on the sidewalk because I was trying to go around boxes and other junk left on the sidewalk and I wiped out. Also, motorists are known to pull out of driveways and suddenly block cyclists riding on the sidewalk, or even worse hit them.

Or is trail riding good enough? I mean since there are a lot of trails both paved and mountains, would I be an idiot trying to ride with traffic?
Trail riding I think is good enough. You should ride where you're happy.

I only ride on the roads when the road is the best or only choice during my commute ride. I was really motivated to start bike commuting, so I kind of forced myself to ride on the roads when no trail is available. I wanted to take a City Cycling class with our local bike association but none was scheduled for the foreseable future at the time. Thus my "city cycling course" turned out to be frantically following my coworker into the city, followed by beginner level group rides with a "casual cycling group". So far, it's worked out fine.

Again, though if you're happy just riding the trails, then just keep enjoying.

Last edited by GovernorSilver; 09-22-15 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-22-15, 09:51 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yes you are too paranoid. No, your phobia is not justified. The stats show that per mile travelled, cyclists are no more likely to be killed or injured on the streets than are pedestrians. But if you don't want to do it, don't do it.

And how many different forums are you going to post this question in?
Old 09-22-15, 09:52 AM
bakes1
Banned

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Le Champion lilac, 2015 Specialized Secteur Elite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Why is this such a recurring theme lately?
Why are bike owners constantly asking random strangers if it is safe to ride a bicycle?
Do people constantly post on automobile forums asking if it is safe to drive their car down the street?
Why buy the car or bike in the first place?
Millions of men, women and children of all ages ride their bikes on the road every day.
I personally am not seeing a rise in the % of bike injuries/deaths in the news and I am ofc smart enough not to gauge the overall % of bike issues on something like an internet safety forum which revels in the same 17 people spouting doom and gloom.
I believe there is another thread right now where someone is uber concerned about drunk drivers.
Drunk drivers are a real concern for everyone.
How about just not riding your bike at night and avoiding 99% of all interaction with them?
You really shouldn't be in a car late at night either unless you have to. Lot of reasons for that but you don't just obsess over it and live in fear 24/7 imo.
My 2 cents
Old 09-22-15, 09:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
You might be making this bicycling thing too complicated. Try to identify your ultimate objective.

Did you start riding bicycles to have fun?

Are you having fun? If so, you're are accomplishing what you set out to do.

Why do a form of riding that you find unpleasant? How other people choose to ride their bicycles is of no concern.
Old 09-22-15, 09:55 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
While you may be a little paranoid, like others have said you do have to be smart and choose the best route for riding. There are just some roads that are not good choices especially at certain times of the day.

As far as mountain biking, it is a totally different animal. The bike skills are so far beyond road that it is hard to grasp when you first go on fairly flat wide dirt trails. Depending on how far you take your riding, there will be times when you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time and you just can't stop next to the curb like a road bike.

Since I started to ride mountain bikes when I was 61, I don't have that skill set and have gone down more than once, but mountain biking is addictive. The biggest issue for me has been my intestinal fortitude to go for a section. After negotiating my way through sometimes successfully, and sometimes not, those cars don't seem that intimidating.

John
Old 09-22-15, 10:11 AM
mystang52

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite; Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I live in relatively heavy-traffic Bergen County, New Jersey. I ride the streets as much out of necessity than choice - there aren't too many options other than one great local MUP. I use that MUP a LOT, but it too has quite a bit of "traffic" with pedestrians and other cyclists. If I had my druthers I would ride exclusively on bike paths; I just enjoy them more, especially not having to worry about cars.
I don't think that makes me any less of a cyclist. You do what you enjoy. This is not a "contest." Incidentally, although I only have one good bike path nearby, there are quite a few within reasonable driving distance. I often drive to one of them.
Old 09-22-15, 10:42 AM
ganchan

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Everyone has to define their own parameters of acceptable risk and incorporate strategies that accommodate those parameters. I'm kind of of a wimp by nature, but I don't own a car so I pretty much have to ride, not just on trails but on streets. My personal strategies to lower my risk level somewhat (100% is impossible) include:
-Wearing a safety vest and front/rear helmet blinkers
-Frequenting a select few regular routes where I really know the traffic patterns and driver behaviors
-Walking the bike through trickier/scarier intersections
-Making eye contact with drivers as needed
-Using a rear view mirror (although I'm still looking for one I like enough to use regularly)
-Riding only in designated bike lanes unless it's actually safer (or necessary) to take the lane
-Riding during off-peak traffic hours and in full daylight (between rush hours and before happy hour)
-Avoiding rainy/icy streets (the drivers in my area have no clue how to manage such conditions)

You'd be surprised how much riding I can still get in under those conditions. And when I feel like i'm doing what I can to stay safe, I enjoy the ride that much more.
Old 09-22-15, 11:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
While riding on the MUP, I've never been yelled at or punish-passed by a meathead in a diesel pickup.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-22-15, 11:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
This is the second fear-related thread you have started today. Care to try for No. 3?

Heh. Now I remember your earlier trolling:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post18121581

Last edited by indyfabz; 09-22-15 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-22-15, 11:21 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
This is the second fear-related thread you have started today. Care to try for No. 3?

Heh. Now I remember your earlier trolling:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...l#post18121581
Give the boy a break, it's only three days since he was bleating about being afraid to ride downhill. https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-b...le-scared.html
Old 09-22-15, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

The responses to this troll post of yours are also funny:

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...bike-okay.html
Old 09-22-15, 11:33 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by chasm54
Give the boy a break, it's only three days since he was bleating about being afraid to ride downhill. https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-b...le-scared.html
Heh. He's going to the well too often. Then again, there are so many people on BF who are easily hooked.
Old 09-22-15, 12:14 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
While riding on the MUP, I've never been yelled at or punish-passed by a meathead in a diesel pickup.
I doubt anyone has. However, MUPs have their own special kinds of accident-encouraging idiots:

-Full-kit wannabe pros, riding 20mph+ weaving in and out of traffic, who love to cut passes waaaayyy too close.
-Middle-lane runners with headphones in.
-The 2/3 abreast oncoming runners who refuse to move over when you only have 6" before a shoulder drop off.
-University cross country'ers running in packs of 10-15 who take up the entire trail with little regard for anyone else.
-Leashed animals with poor owner control.
-Newbs who generally have no idea that etiquette exists, and don't know what to do when approached from behind. "Look at those butterflies! Oh ****, a bike is coming...what the **** do I do???!!"
Old 09-22-15, 12:24 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I don't see any need for someone to ride in traffic just because they haven't yet and are curious. I would much rather NOT ride in traffic. But I don't have enough other options. If you don't need to, I wouldn't encourage you to.
Old 09-22-15, 12:34 PM
series1811

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale SuperSix EVO 105, 2012 Fuji Roubaix, 1988 Basso Gap

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not like riding on paved trails. Invariably it means more cyclists, pedestrians, and dogs - all of which can be very unpredictable. I recently rode the Cherry Creek trail in Denver and it was a royal pain. Constant acceleration and braking and waiting for trail traffic to clear, not to mention some outright rude people. I feel safer riding on the roads in the rural area where I live. I can ride for miles and not see another cyclist and very few cars.

To each their own though. People have different predilections and comfort levels for different types of riding.
Old 09-22-15, 12:45 PM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by series1811
I do not like riding on paved trails. Invariably it means more cyclists, pedestrians, and dogs - all of which can be very unpredictable. I recently rode the Cherry Creek trail in Denver and it was a royal pain. Constant acceleration and braking and waiting for trail traffic to clear, not to mention some outright rude people. I feel safer riding on the roads in the rural area where I live. I can ride for miles and not see another cyclist and very few cars.

To each their own though. People have different predilections and comfort levels for different types of riding.
Bingo. Trails are not definitively safer than roadways. Best time to MUP it is when hot/cold weather keeps all the recreational users at home/in a car. Worst time to use it is right after college kids return for the fall and when the weather turns agreeable.

Roads have defined boundaries which the vast majority of drivers respect. The presence of enforced law (albeit lacking many times) also helps. MUPs do not have this...people just generally do whatever they want, and there are not license plate numbers to report when someone commits an egregious act.

Last edited by jfowler85; 09-22-15 at 12:53 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.