Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Trainer Recommendation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 01:30 PM
Jiles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My wife and I are in our late 60s and want to stay somewhat in shape over the coming winter. We are thinking about a Bike Trainer but have many choices and questions.
Do any of you have a particular brand to recommend?
Any good advice will be appreciated.

Last edited by Jiles; 10-08-15 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 01:43 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Its that cold in Alabama winters ? taking a spin class may be less boring than sitting on a bike in a trainer stand in your house.

the ones they promoted during the TdF have computer inputs.. and can be programmed to alter the effort
while watching a picture on a screen
High er end Tacx NL trainer stands offer some of the computer image software with theirs ..

I just put on my rain gear and go about my business ..
Old 10-08-15, 01:51 PM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a used cyclops fluid trainer. It's the only one I have ever used so I can't really make comparisons. I really like it though, it's quiet and has good resistance and setup takes just a few seconds.
Old 10-08-15, 04:21 PM
wheelsmcgee

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
I bought the Nashbar basic fluid trainer...works great for me. Ive done around 2500 "miles" so far an no complaints. I'd suggest waiting for one of their regular 20% off sales if you go that route. Cyclops and Kurt kinetic also seem to get good reviews, though a little pricier. Whatever you get, I'd also suggest investing in a workout mat and a good fan.
Old 10-08-15, 05:17 PM
ltxi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe useful, maybe not....I have a gym/commercial class Life Fitness recumbent in the basement for bad weather and the off season. Flat panel and a DVR provide the needed substitute for passing scenery. A perhaps a bit pricey solution but at 72 well worth it to me to stay in good shape.

Last edited by ltxi; 10-08-15 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 05:40 PM
KenshiBiker

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an old Cyclops fluid trainer. The first year I got back into biking I decided to use it to get/stay in shape during the winter. By the end of the winter I decided that outdoor riding in the winter really isn't that bad (of course, I live in California) compared to the mind-numbing monotony of the trainer. Of course, YMMV.

To be honest, the trainer did exactly what I needed it to do - allowed me to get in riding shape (even without being able to fit into my old bicycling clothes anymore) without leaving the comfort of the house, and motivated me to get outside and ride more. These days it just sits in the garage, getting in the way.
Old 10-08-15, 07:50 PM
yooperbiker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest you think about a spin bike (indoor exercise bike) instead of a trainer (uses your normal bike). The heavy flywheels make a spin bike much more enjoyable to use I think. Can usually find one used on Craig's List for cheap. I find the normal bolt-on trainers difficult to ride on, and can be a problem to fit properly to the bike.
Old 10-08-15, 08:21 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Jiles
My wife and I are in our late 60s and want to stay somewhat in shape over the coming winter. We are thinking about a Bike Trainer but have many choices and questions.
Do any of you have a particular brand to recommend?
Any good advice will be appreciated.
Kurt Kinetic if you're not going to spring for an expensive (approaching $1K) electronic trainer.

It comes with a 6.25 pound flywheel (versus 2.75 for the CycleOps Fluid 2) and can be upgraded to 18.25 total with the pro flywheel so it feels more like riding on the road and your work-outs are less likely to be limited by dead spots in your pedal stroke. The magnetic coupling makes it leak proof, resistance is stable with temperature so it works well with virtual power, and the quick release on the right mounting knob is quicker to use than inexpensive trainers without it.

Kurt on left - pro flywheel stacked atop standard; Performance on right. I regret not returning the Performance sooner .

Riding outside in the cold (wear warmer clothes in layers), dark (get good lights), or even rain (rain gear, shoe covers, and fenders) is more pleasant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
trainer_flywheels-small.jpg (97.5 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-08-15, 10:20 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I just bought a Tacx Bushido Smart trainer from Ribble. I use it with Zwift and it makes the indoor days a lot less boring.

Old 10-09-15, 02:33 PM
kini62

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My $.02, CycleOps SuperMag Pro. Quietest "dumb" trainer on the market. 4 progressive resistance curves 2 of which are less aggressive than fluid trainers like KK or CycleOps, 1 that is the same and 1 that is more aggressive.

All fluid trainers have a warm up period which I found very annoying on my previous trainer.
Old 10-09-15, 03:52 PM
etw

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. It works great.
Old 10-09-15, 03:56 PM
Cheese Head

Bikes: 2013 Sisu Estavant Ti road bike, 2011 Jamis Supernova, 1994 Giant Sedonna, 2 1987 Miyata 615 GT's, 1970's all chrome Fuji

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Kurt Kinetic if you're not going to spring for an expensive (approaching $1K) electronic trainer.

It comes with a 6.25 pound flywheel (versus 2.75 for the CycleOps Fluid 2) and can be upgraded to 18.25 total with the pro flywheel so it feels more like riding on the road and your work-outs are less likely to be limited by dead spots in your pedal stroke. The magnetic coupling makes it leak proof, resistance is stable with temperature so it works well with virtual power, and the quick release on the right mounting knob is quicker to use than inexpensive trainers without it.

Kurt on left - pro flywheel stacked atop standard; Performance on right. I regret not returning the Performance sooner .

Riding outside in the cold (wear warmer clothes in layers), dark (get good lights), or even rain (rain gear, shoe covers, and fenders) is more pleasant.
Originally Posted by etw
I have a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. It works great.
Heading out to pick up a Kurt Kinectic Road Machine in a few minutes. Found a barely used 2013 model on craigslist for $200. Seems like a decent deal (I hope)!
Old 10-10-15, 05:07 AM
AVLThumper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I picked up a Performance Bike brand Travel Trac Fluid Trainer for around $120 with one of their sales. It's been great. It's quiet, fits my mountain and road bike, and seems to be good quality. Lots of positive reviews on their website as well. I was looking for a used Road Machine, but the cheapest I could find was $200. I'm just a guy who rides mountain bikes and road bikes for fun and fitness. I'm happy with the Travel Trac.
Old 10-10-15, 09:48 AM
Filerunner

Bikes: 2016 Trek 8.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1Up USA is very good.
Old 10-10-15, 11:03 AM
CarbonPothole

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc. 2012 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wahoo Kickr is awesome. But, if you don't want all the technology and stuff, CycleOps Supermagneto.
Old 10-12-15, 08:34 PM
qajaq

Bikes: TREK Domane 5.2 Giant Defy Wilier Triestina Cento

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Another vote for the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. Rugged, magnetic coupling won't leak oil and it's quiet too.
Old 10-13-15, 04:18 PM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Nashbar fluid trainer. It works great, but damn the boredom!
Old 10-15-15, 04:32 PM
gmanpma

Bikes: Spot Wazee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Kurt Rock and Roll. I'm reintroducing myself to biking, and this has helped me work on my skills. I can practice technique without the concern of road rash. I set up in front of either the tv, or my mac, so I can either watch the game, or work with a training video. I can use it anytime I want which I find a big plus. My pace, high or low. I would definitely recommend Kurt. I'm 63 and a committed pedaler. Good luck.