Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

How long after hip replacement

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 07-12-17, 05:11 PM
oldschool56

Bikes: 2016 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm 60 years old and have been riding for a little over a year now. Four weeks ago, I had a total right hip replacement. I'm back on my feet, walking (slight limp). I am getting antsy and want to get on the bike as soon as possible. I know everyone is different and recovery varies,but for those of you who have had hip surgery, how long before you were riding again?
Old 07-12-17, 06:18 PM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
I do not have the exact situation, but I feel that I can give a little insight. I am 56, and had major foot surgery, and total non weight bearing for a month. I was riding a little in six weeks. The big thing is that when I started riding again, I was considerably slower, because of in general weakening (atrophy). I do not know if you value how you feel on a bike??? I tried to ride for strengthening, but very little improvement because of the relative hi RPM's with cycling. I gained much better strengthening by going to a gym and doing the leg press. I used to start at 250 lbs and press 3 times a week and increase 5% per week, but now I am older/ weaker, had to start at 180 and have to increase less than 5% or my legs really really hurt. sooo start easy, trust me.
Old 07-12-17, 09:51 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
No personal experience but a good friend had hip replacement surgery at 72 and knee replacement surgery at 74, last summer. She rebounded remarkably quickly and was playing tennis again (very slowly) within 4-6 weeks.

But she was fit to begin with, had no unusual reactions to surgery, and cooperated with the physical therapy. That makes a huge difference.

In contrast, my mom and grandfather were terrible patients where joint replacement surgeries were involved. Both were mostly inactive, and neither would do any exercise before the surgeries to prepare themselves. And both were very uncooperative with physical therapy. As a result my mom never regained range of motion from her first knee surgery in her 20s, so she limped and struggled to climb stairs or even get in and out of a vehicle. And my granddad's knee kept popping out of joint because his muscles and connective tissues had atrophied because he refused to do any exercise. I had to pick him up a few times after he fell, and he was a big man.

Worse, my mom had severe reactions to the anesthesia and morphine for pain, with hallucinations and disorientation that lasted for weeks. In a way that was a good thing. I stayed with her for months afterward to ensure she didn't have to stay in a nursing home, and did her physical therapy whether she liked it or not. She argued, cussed and screamed but she recovered better from her knee surgery at age 70 than the previous one in her 20s. Unfortunately she was less cooperative with her 2011 shoulder replacement surgery and still has trouble. She wants a joint replacement for her other shoulder but her doctor told her bluntly she wasn't a good candidate because of her age, reaction to anesthesia and morphine, and because she won't cooperate with physical therapy.

That's the real key. Staying as active as you can without endangering the surgery and new joint.

Personally I'd be cautious about riding an upright bike too quickly, but I'd seriously consider a recumbent at least for the recovery period.
Old 07-13-17, 06:36 AM
donheff

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I don't know about replacements but I had a pin installed in my broken hip at the end of August last year (really more like a post and beam). The doc had my off the bike until the end of the year. I went on a bike trip to Costa Rica in January and was fine. I rode recumbents in the gym in December, maybe even November.
Old 07-13-17, 07:07 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not a hip replacement, rather less dramatic. My daughter-in-law broke a foot. She quickly got back on her bike... and was cleaned up by a car which really messed up her foot. Seven months later, she's still not riding.
Old 07-13-17, 02:20 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
Everyone I've talked to that have had hip replacement say that the docs want you up and walking the next day. Because of that, I'd think that pedaling a bike would be OK just as soon.

Dan
Old 07-13-17, 03:27 PM
oldschool56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks to all for your feedback. In a week or so, I may try riding my wife's bike around the neighborhood. It's a step through hybrid. I don't think I'm quite ready to straddle my road bike and ride with clipless.
Old 07-13-17, 03:57 PM
Robike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had a Total Hip Replacement when 52, 8 years ago, and started back on an exercise bike to regain strength after about 4 weeks, if my memory serves me well. Then when feeling stronger, got back on road bike and gradually built up the miles. The cycling is good for the hip, you just got to make sure that you do not fall off and damage yourself. You feel more vulnerable, but as long as you are careful, you will be ok. Hope that this helps.
Rob
Old 07-14-17, 11:18 AM
Cuyuna

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There are a huge number of variables in that question that make soliciting recovery experiences on the internet kind of pointless.

Of course, the most important answer to your question is "what did your surgeon say?"

The answer to that will vary according to your age, your condition, the quality of the bone he attached the hip to, the type of hip he used, the surgical technique he used, the quality of your muscles, and his experience and opinions on post-op recovery and resumption of various activities.
Old 07-14-17, 09:34 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I had my left hip replaced last November. I was on the stainer after a couple weeks, did one ride outside on a nice December day and found getting on and off a bit difficult without using the curb to help me get over the bar. A step through frame would fix that. I have about 1200 miles in so far this year and have been feeling close to normal for about a month. I turned 55 last Feb. Keep moving was the key for me.
Old 07-15-17, 01:24 AM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Age 60, too. I've had both done...anterior via "Superpath". Last one was 6 months ago. Pretty quick recovery. Did the PT. My doc okay'd me for leisurely riding at 6 weeks. I took it low and slow on my hybrid - but still managed about 12 mph. I think it is a great way to rehab and awaken the muscles.
Old 07-15-17, 10:35 AM
oldschool56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Signed up today at the local gym. I'll be spending time on the stationary bike to build up muscle and cardio. Each day has been a noticeable improvement in range of motion and less pain. My goal is to be back on my bike in three weeks. Time (and the doctor) will tell. In the meantime, I've been mapping out new bike routes and typing up the cue sheets. That and watching the Tour are keeping me sane.
Old 07-15-17, 01:46 PM
2metalhips

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
I had both done in 09, 56 at the time, both same day, Birmingham Resurfacing. At about 6 weeks I was on the trainer, was a bit tricky getting on an off, had to use a little step ladder. Gentle SAFE road rides at 9 weeks or so. Cycling is one the best movements for hip replacements, take it nice and easy.
Old 07-15-17, 05:34 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
I fractured my right hip in '09 that necessitated a hip replacement because of the location of the fracture. I was back on the trainer in 2 weeks, with clipless pedals, and back on the road in 6 weeks. Took it easy at first but as I recall it was a quick recovery. I really worked the rehab and it made a difference.
Last year I had a malunion of a pelvis fracture which involved a more complicated surgery. The location of the fracture required a revision of the hip replacement. That recovery was more difficult. I was back on the trainer in just under 6 weeks and back outdoors in about 9 weeks.
Listen to your Doc, PT and your body and you should be back at it quicker than you think.
Old 07-27-17, 06:27 PM
oldschool56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hot Diggity Dog!! Six weeks following surgery, I saw my doctor today. He's given me the green light to get back on the bike. For the past two weeks I've been going to the gym and putting in time on the stationary bike in preparation for today's news. Tomorrow morning, bright and early before the day becomes a scorcher, I'm hitting the road for hopefully a 15 miler or so. I am stoked!!!
Old 07-27-17, 08:00 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by oldschool56
Hot Diggity Dog!! Six weeks following surgery, I saw my doctor today. He's given me the green light to get back on the bike. For the past two weeks I've been going to the gym and putting in time on the stationary bike in preparation for today's news. Tomorrow morning, bright and early before the day becomes a scorcher, I'm hitting the road for hopefully a 15 miler or so. I am stoked!!!
Great news! Get out there and enjoy every pedal stroke.....and for the love of God keep the rubber down.
Old 07-28-17, 08:03 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschool56
Old 07-28-17, 01:03 PM
KenR

Bikes: 2017 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1, 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2016 Trek 7.4FX hybrid

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had full hip replacement a couple of years ago. I was on an exercise bike, starting for slow 10 minute ride at my physical therapist, approximately 3 weeks after surgery. My best advice is to take your recovery very seriously but listen to your doctor and therapist.
Old 07-28-17, 04:30 PM
oldschool56

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a short 14.3 mile ride this morning. The route was perfect. Easy on the hills and plenty of shade. It felt great. Thanks again to all for the words of encouragement and wisdom.
Old 12-23-18, 05:26 PM
R32Hoo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first total hip replacement was 7.5 years ago at age 49. At that time I was riding the bike outdoors by the fifth post operative week. I just had the other hip replaced 18 days ago (bilateral congenital hip dysplasia). Both surgeries were posterolateral approach. I will be 57 in about 2 months. I now have an indoor spinning bike (Stages SC3) and have been riding indoors since post op day 3, and I am now up to an hour with maximum force of about 500 watts according to the power meter. I use the XERT workout player indoors to train.

Today, I went for an outdoor ride of about 40 minutes in the neighborhood at about 14.5 mph. Piece of cake. I put some pedal platforms on my Look Keo pedals and rode with running shoes, so I didn't have to worry about unclipping, but I don't think it will be a problem. Surgeon said just be careful. I hit 400 watts, less than half of my power max before surgery, but I didn't have cleats, and I am in no hurry to mess things up. I go back to work on post op day 21 in just 3 days. I am almost normal in my gait. I think it helped that I rode 4850 outdoor miles in the last 11 1/2 months.

Search pedal plate Netherlands for the pedal adapters. My wife wants me to use them, but I think they will come in handy in the summer riding to the swimming pool. Happy Holidays!
Old 12-23-18, 07:57 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,690 Posts
Thread moved to 50+ Pill and Ills.
Old 12-28-18, 11:45 AM
eatontkd

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale road w/ MANY upgrades, 2017 Trek Fx7.5 Hybrid, 1953 Rudge "work-in-progress", a 1956 Hercules "Royal Prince", and an unknown year, unknown frame lot's a fun single-speed!

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 58 Posts
I had my right hip replaced in October of 2007. Honestly, it's been a blessing; no more pain! I have better range of motion and have been able to enjoy life without being the "Advil poster boy"! Great to see you're doing well Oldschool. Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-10-19, 12:38 AM
Cuyuna

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I just visited a buddy in the hospital yesterday about 6pm. He had an anterior approach hip replacement about noon. He was debating whether or not to go ahead and go home. The part that was interesting to me is that he and several others of us are leaving for Montana to go snowmobiling in about two weeks. His surgeon wasn’t particularly enthusiastic about the concept but did show him the best way to get on and off the sled without breaking anything.