Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

All City SpaceHorse vs Gorilla Monsoon

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 04-16-18, 12:55 PM
rockermike
rockermike

Bikes: Surly Troll and Soma DoubleCross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

what's the difference?.... other than wheel size (though both will take either 700 or 650b) I don't see much difference. Can someone enlighten me. And while you're at it, if you're informed on such matters.... how do they compare to the Soma Wolverine? TIA
Old 04-16-18, 01:16 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1210 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 107 Posts
Spacehorse is a fat tired road bike with a touring slant.
This blend of geometry and our 612 Select tubing creates a bike that is capable of quick road centuries, gravel racing, commuting, and of course loaded touring.
Gorilla Monsoon is a rigid mountain bike with drop bars.
Want to do mixed pavement and single track rides? Put in long days off-road? Do some fire road touring? Camping? Ride across the continent? No problem.
The Wolverine is more similar to the Spacehorse than the Gorilla Monsoon. It rides a little better too IMO but they're both fairly similar. The Wolverine has also had some issues with dropouts failing prematurely which has lead to the new 3.0 models. Some believe the changes are merely cosmetic and do not correct the overall design issue. Quality control for Soma is always much less consistent than All-City in my experience.

I have not ridden the Gorilla Monsoon but feedback from a friend that has one is that it is very much a mountain bike. Rides stiff and sorta dead on the road but comes alive on singletrack and rough gravel. Also much heavier than a road-focused bike.
Old 04-17-18, 07:27 AM
Big Pond

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It will be interesting to see what insights an expert will suss out. From my own limited understanding, the all city’s are cut from the same cloth wrt a by the charts analysis. The most significant geo aspects I could identify are GM is slightly taller and has shorter chainstays. I believe the tires are even compatible between the two frames. So then, a dropper seat post, fork mounted waterbottles and through axles on the GM vs quick release on the SH further divide. All city didn’t publish details about about the tubing or weight between frames though I bet they would if asked.

The space-horse is marketed as commuter and long distance rider I believe the GM fits that mold equally well but adds a dropper post, TA’s and a hair less head angle in nod to off-road trends.

The wolverine is a bit different. It’s longer, lower and with less trail then the AC’s. It design goals seem to be a fatter wheeled, more flexible cross bike. The sliding drop allow you to tailor the handling a bit. And it has more tire clearance the SH.

They all look like they would take you anywhere you want to go in style. A good problem to have imo.
Old 04-17-18, 02:18 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
after Sharknado 5, they're having a monsoon of Gorillas?
Old 04-17-18, 04:34 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Beats having another Fast and Furious or Tokyo Drift
Old 04-18-18, 09:15 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
I guess you didn't grow up watching WWF/WWE. Note also: Macho Man / Macho King
Old 04-18-18, 11:16 AM
Squeeze
High Plains Luddite

Bikes: 3x8 & 3x9

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
I guess you didn't grow up watching WWF/WWE. Note also: Macho Man / Macho King
I never thought of All City's Macho Man as being related to wrestling. I figured it was a '70s thing, such as the example below. But, now that I think of it, All City has the Nature Boy also.

I'm slow, but I catch on eventually. !

And I sure wish I could bring myself to even consider spending $$$$ for any of the bikes being discussed in this thread. They all look amazing for the kind of mostly dirt/gravel riding I do these days.