Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Ibis Hakka MX opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 05:56 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris(NJ)
Sick bike man, congrats. I have one in red. If I saw this thread sooner I would've chimed in and recommended it. I've used this bike for relaxed road rides w/ the gf as well as plenty of legit gravel events. I'll be using it this year at Barry Roubaix, Rebeccas Private, unPAved, d2r2 and a few others. Also used it for cx, but it's not really the best for racing cross. It does fine for what it is in that category though.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll be very happy w/ the bike. It really is an amazing ride.
Thanks! Only been on the road so far and I'm quite impressed. Hoping to take it on some dirt this weekend... And then hopefully doing Nova Eroica (California) on it.
Old 02-26-19, 09:42 AM
Caliwild

Update: Finally got a chance to put it through its paces. The bike climbs REALLY well due to the light weight. The Schwalbe Thunder Burts are also fantastic... they roll pretty darn quick on pavement and are a pleasure to ride on the dirt. Coming from a road bike, it's amazing that you don't have to pick a line through the gravel. Just point it where you want to go and plow over everything. I now see how bikes like these become quiver killers... I'm glad I put helicopter tape on the bottom of the downtube.... the tires kick up a lot of small stones. Anyway, very impressed with the Hakka so far...
Old 06-15-19, 10:27 PM
Rvav8r

Bikes: 2019 Ibis Hakka MX, 2011 Giant Defy 3 Composite, 2012 Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Helicopter tape

Originally Posted by Caliwild
... I'm glad I put helicopter tape on the bottom of the downtube.... the tires kick up a lot of small stones. Anyway, very impressed with the Hakka so far...
Would mind telling me the source and size of the helicopter tape? I've got the MX on order and I do want to protect it.

BTW, which color did you get?
Old 06-24-19, 01:46 PM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by Rvav8r
Would mind telling me the source and size of the helicopter tape? I've got the MX on order and I do want to protect it.

BTW, which color did you get?
Sorry for the late response... I bought a roll from Amazon in clear. See below... You can cut it to fit any part of the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotchgard-Cl...gateway&sr=8-8
Old 06-24-19, 05:03 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
post mount front should be a feature, it allows you to use 180mm+ rotors, flat mount is limited to 160mm
Old 06-24-19, 09:10 PM
Rvav8r

Bikes: 2019 Ibis Hakka MX, 2011 Giant Defy 3 Composite, 2012 Specialized Hardrock

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank You!!
Old 07-14-19, 10:56 PM
Rvav8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I took delivery of my Hakka two weeks ago. It exactly like Caliwild's, except that they were out of the alloy crank arms and substituted the carbon ones at no charge. Saves me 7 ounces. I absolutely love the bike. Handles chip sealed rods like smooth tarmac. It is my first bike with Sram components and as a life long Shimanno user I'm not sure that I like it.

I recommend this bike without any reservations!
Old 07-15-19, 10:21 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by Rvav8r
I took delivery of my Hakka two weeks ago. It exactly like Caliwild's, except that they were out of the alloy crank arms and substituted the carbon ones at no charge. Saves me 7 ounces. I absolutely love the bike. Handles chip sealed rods like smooth tarmac. It is my first bike with Sram components and as a life long Shimanno user I'm not sure that I like it.

I recommend this bike without any reservations!
Congrats! Yeah, the SRAM shifting is more clunky than Shimano but the plus is that it's a more positive engagement (you sure know when it shifts!). Carbon cranks for free? Nice! I actually recently replaced the stock aluminum seapost with a carbon Ritchey Flexlogic one and it now feels even smoother over small bumps... I'm debating whether I need a dropper on this thing... And also debating whether I need some flared gravel bars instead of the stock road bars on there now... Anyway, enjoy the ride!
Old 08-30-19, 11:18 AM
Caliwild

new bars

Threw on some new handlebars (Enve gravel bars) and couldn't be happier... the bars that came with the bike were basically road bars and weren't too confidence-inspiring on the descents... The Enve's have a nice flare and position the levers in a nice spot... Also upgraded the bar tape to Fizik's Terra tape and it feels really grippy and comfy. Super happy with the upgrade...

Old 09-21-19, 07:07 PM
Juliano_rider

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips... Will do some riding before deciding on the dropper...

Went with 27.5 wheels and I'm glad to report that there is NO toe overlap with a 9.5 shoe...

Also, bike (size 55) weighs exactly 19.2 lbs with the XT pedals and the carbon bottle cage...

I am very impressed with the fit and finish of the frame and components.
what's your height? I'm 181cm (5'11 ") and I'm in doubt between 55 and 58
Old 09-22-19, 09:12 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts

Ha, I didnt realize Ibis still rocks the juvie handjob, even on disc bikes.
Old 09-23-19, 10:31 AM
Caliwild

Originally Posted by juliano_rider
what's your height? I'm 181cm (5'11 ") and i'm in doubt between 55 and 58
5'9"
Old 09-30-19, 07:23 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I just saw an OPEN UP bike on my regular road ride today and, boy, that's a nice frame as well. But even more spendy than the Ibis...
I own a bike shop and carry 18 models of gravel bikes. I ride an Open myself. Absolutely the best ride, better than any of the mass produced bikes like the ubiquitous ones from Trek, Giant, Specialized or C'dale. And you can build it exactly like you want it...
Likes For gravelslider:
Old 12-27-19, 10:08 AM
Caliwild

Quick update... The true sign that the Hakka is a great bike is that I seem to grab it no matter what kind of ride I am doing (road or gravel). I pick it over several dedicated super light road bikes. It just rides so nicely over crappy streets and is comfortable yet responsive. I've owned lost of bikes over the past 30 years, but this might be the best one I've ridden.... High praise but it's very deserved...
Old 12-29-19, 09:35 PM
Rvav8r

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick update... The true sign that the Hakka is a great bike is that I seem to grab it no matter what kind of ride I am doing (road or gravel). I pick it over several dedicated super light road bikes. It just rides so nicely over crappy streets and is comfortable yet responsive. I've owned lost of bikes over the past 30 years, but this might be the best one I've ridden.... High praise but it's very deserved...

I couldn't agree more!! I think I've only been on my road bike twice since I got it. I am really looking forward to riding around Diamond Valley Reservoir in February/
Likes For Rvav8r: