Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Wool knickers

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Wool knickers

Old 10-27-08, 08:33 PM
veggie_lover

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wool knickers

Are these any good, the price seems right:

https://www.swisslink.com/products/pr...hp?id=29&sid=4
Old 10-27-08, 08:41 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would be afraid of those for road biking, as they are more "fashion" type knickers and will not be appropriately cut.

These are good wool cycling knickers. In this day and age, you pretty much get what you pay for.
Old 10-28-08, 08:40 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $10 I'd give 'em a whirl. Personally, I like my Endura and Ibex knickers depending on use. Not so good for actual winter, though.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 10-31-08, 12:23 PM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pair of these:

https://bicyclefixation.com/prod_wool_knickers.html

The only thing I don't like about them is that they come only in black.

I also have a pair of the "Par 5"'s:
https://www.golfknickers.com/knickers.html
Old 10-31-08, 12:57 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
most military surplus knickers are

1) heavy; and

2) scratchy.

for better riding knicks, get to a thrift shop, and chop down some suitable wool pants found there.
Old 11-10-08, 01:07 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
Personally, I like my Endura and Ibex knickers depending on use. Not so good for actual winter, though.

Was there anything specific about the Ibex that you found "not so good" or was that comment supposed to be about knickers in general being inappropriate for winter? (I.e., it would seem axiomatic that knickers are not warm enough for actual winter riding since they leave your calves exposed.)

I've been interested in getting a pair of knickers for cool autumn rides, & the Ibex look attractive enough, but I'm concerned that, like other Ibex products, they might be too warm for the type of weather I'd want them for (~40-50°F)
Old 11-10-08, 01:19 PM
Glynis27
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wore the Italian surplus wool knickers all last year and loved them. I wore a very thin baselayer under them so my legs wouldn't itch, and knee-high wool socks. I was good down to 10*.
Old 11-10-08, 11:41 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Was there anything specific about the Ibex that you found "not so good" or was that comment supposed to be about knickers in general being inappropriate for winter? (I.e., it would seem axiomatic that knickers are not warm enough for actual winter riding since they leave your calves exposed.)

I've been interested in getting a pair of knickers for cool autumn rides, & the Ibex look attractive enough, but I'm concerned that, like other Ibex products, they might be too warm for the type of weather I'd want them for (~40-50°F)
Knickers can work very well for cold winter rides when used in combination with cycling shorts underneath and cycling tights over long wool socks. You can have three layers over your thighs and two over the lower leg but the knee which is covered by the tight only can move freely. Yet the knee will stay warm if the rest of the leg is warm.
Old 11-11-08, 04:07 PM
GV27
Light Makes Right

Bikes: Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CastIron
For $10 I'd give 'em a whirl. Personally, I like my Endura and Ibex knickers depending on use. Not so good for actual winter, though.
+1 Think I'll order myself a pair.
Old 11-12-08, 09:33 AM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Was there anything specific about the Ibex that you found "not so good" or was that comment supposed to be about knickers in general being inappropriate for winter? (I.e., it would seem axiomatic that knickers are not warm enough for actual winter riding since they leave your calves exposed.) BINGO. Much below ~40f you need full coverage, especially if you like warm feet.

I've been interested in getting a pair of knickers for cool autumn rides, PERFECT USE IME & the Ibex look attractive enough, but I'm concerned that, like other Ibex products, they might be too warm for the type of weather I'd want them for (~40-50°F)
Answered your own questions.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 11-12-08, 08:32 PM
NealH

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hezz
Knickers can work very well for cold winter rides when used in combination with cycling shorts underneath and cycling tights over long wool socks. You can have three layers over your thighs and two over the lower leg but the knee which is covered by the tight only can move freely. Yet the knee will stay warm if the rest of the leg is warm.
I'm confused, how does this layup schedule only cover the knee with one layer of fabric? Seems to me it is two layers over the knee.

You can wear a pair of bib shorts and a pair of these on top, then the knee is only covered by one layer and, the layup is good to the teens.

Last edited by NealH; 11-12-08 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 07:02 PM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NealH
I'm confused, how does this layup schedule only cover the knee with one layer of fabric? Seems to me it is two layers over the knee.

You can wear a pair of bib shorts and a pair of these on top, then the knee is only covered by one layer and, the layup is good to the teens.
Well I guess it comes down to how long your knickers are and usually they are below the knee a bit. But some are just barely at the bottom of the knee. I was visualizing more modern non bike specific styles which are usually loose fitting and might be more like long shorts. Technically the knee is covered with a second layer but because it is so close to the knicker opening it is exposed to some air flow and is not full coverage. Unless of course you are using the older style that fasten around the leg below the knee.

Anyway, semantics aside, the method can work well if you use the loose fitting types because they don't bind the knee since there is no material gathered around the knee to restrict movement. The tight fitting older style of knickers will not work as well since they basically wrap the knee.

Something more like this is what I had in mind:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
7ce5_1.JPG (17.9 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Hezz; 11-18-08 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-18-08, 11:00 PM
cabana 4 life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we just got pair of these to review. my friend ended up with them and totally digs them.

https://www.swobo.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=758
Old 11-19-08, 09:18 AM
Elkhound

Bikes: Trek Mountaineer modified with a NuVinci; Montegue Paratrooper folding mountain bike; Greenspeed recumbent; Surly Big Dummy with Stokemonkey

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cabana 4 life
we just got pair of these to review. my friend ended up with them and totally digs them.

https://www.swobo.com/catalog/product...roducts_id=758
The only thing that I don't like about Swobo is that they are apparently under the impression that all cyclists are skinny. They don't make them in big-guy sizes.