Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Surly Troll/NJ Pine Barrens trip report

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-12, 08:33 PM
Jude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back when I was thinking about getting a Surly Troll, some people asked for reviews of it if I got it. Well, I did, and though I've unfortunately been too busy to ride it off-road much in the month I've had it, I thought I'd put up an initial report and and some pictures from my trip last week (29th-30th) to the Pine Barrens in south Jersey.

I picked that area because looking at Google Maps shows it's the largest contiguous green area close to Philly, and there are a bunch of dirt roads crisscrossing the pine woods. I thought it would be fun to go out for two nights of camping and riding around the forest. I have biked all the way out there twice before, both on a road bike; this time I took the train from the middle of Philly to the end of the line about 10 miles away to cut down on the road-riding so I could get to the good stuff. (The rides along the roads getting there are OK at times, but pretty dull really. I prefer my riding more scenic).

Right off the bat, I realized I may have picked one of the few places the Surly Troll (with 2.3 inch slick-ish tires) has trouble going. The terrain out there is REALLY sandy, and riding with all my weight loaded on the rear of the bike was just asking for trouble. The dirt-road conditions alternated between quite nice (the areas blanketed with pine needles) and pain-in-the-butt (the sandy parts), occasionally forcing me to walk the bike. The Troll, even with a heavy rear load, performed really well, although the handling was noticeably shaky compared to a very confidence-inspiring handling when it's unloaded. I'm sure putting weight on the front as well/instead will make this a different story. I rarely used my small chainring due to the lack of any hills, but the middle one got lots of use, in contrast to riding in town where I only use the big one.

The comfort of the bike still needs some dialing-in - the stock grips are comfortable enough only for short rides (can anybody recommend some good ones? I've heard really good stuff about Ergon grips) and I was tweaking the saddle position still (I think I've got it where I want it). One thing that pleasantly surprised me about the Troll is that, instead of the fat tires slowing me down a lot, I'm able to ride on the streets just about as fast as I was going on my road bike. Of course, long rides without lots of stops are a different story, and part of it is that the shifting is a lot more convenient to use than with my old stem shifters. Still, I don't feel sluggish on it except on uphills, and even then, I can mash up them if I really want to.

In summary, next weekend I'm going to be taking the Troll to some place with nice, firm-packed terrain and nary a grain of sand in sight! If I go back to the Pine Barrens, it'll definitely be with an unloaded Troll, and if at all possible, a fatbike (I'd love to rent one, but I don't think there's one in my time zone to be rented...) That sandy terrain can be pretty nightmarish.

Also, don't go there after rain - the ground will be even mooshier, and the roads will be littered with puddles you'll have to walk around. I came across one towards when I was heading back that had no way around it, so I thought, well hell, I'll just power through. Bad idea - it turned out to be a lot deeper than I thought, and the ground was so uneven that the bike started falling over. The rear-heavy load and my inability to get a foot down in time sent both it and me falling into about a foot of water! Luckily it was sunny and in the 50s out, and my camera was on the side that didn't fall in, but my panniers are not waterproof and all my stuff on the left side got soaked. Yet another reason to get Ortliebs...

Anyway, some pictures of the trip! They were taken with a disposable camera since my DSLR is broken right now, which explains the quality...although it turned out to be so expensive that if I do it a few more times the camera repair would end up being a way better deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14.jpg (100.7 KB, 139 views)
7.jpg (108.0 KB, 99 views)
2.jpg (99.0 KB, 152 views)
4.jpg (96.1 KB, 108 views)
5.jpg (107.1 KB, 100 views)
11.jpg (107.8 KB, 103 views)
10.jpg (108.6 KB, 119 views)
6.jpg (100.9 KB, 100 views)
9.jpg (106.4 KB, 127 views)
Old 01-04-12, 06:30 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nice report. When I lived in NJ, I loved to paddle the waterways of the Pine Barrens. Amazing area of NJ, and one that relatively few people take advantage of. Did you happen to hear the call of the Jersey Devil while you were there ;-)
Old 01-04-12, 10:13 AM
pasopia

Bikes: soma double cross DC, giant reign

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the update, looks like a fun trip! I love seeing these Trolls out in the wild.

You should try moving those rear panniers to a front rack, the handling will most likely be much better.
Old 04-01-13, 10:08 PM
philkratz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool! I live in Philly and work over in Lakehurst nj. I wanna do a trip just like that with my fargo. Looks like the fatter the tires the better! I'm totally clueless on where to go there and where is cool to camp I've never actually been out there before. Thanks for posting!
Old 04-02-13, 04:38 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for the report, really appreciate the follow up.

looks like loading for sand is quite important, thanks for the heads up, have experienced similar issues in loose unconsolidated sand with weight on rear, but didn't give it too much thought till i also read your report.
Old 04-02-13, 05:25 AM
RyeRey521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great write up. I live in South Jersey and ride the pine barrens quite frequently. Caranza memorial and Batsto make great starting points.... I have thought it would be cool to do the Botona Trail from start to finish on a bike, but that is apparently frowned upon. Where did you ride?.... I ride with some guys who have fat bikes (Moonlander, Pugsley, and Mukluck) and even they have issues with the sand.... That their isn't enough lol. Seriously, they just glide over the deepest sand like it was the tinyest bit of mud ofr regular mtbs. Riding with them and my pewny 2.1 rear tire always leads to a good workout and a bit of envy. Thanks for the write up again and hope your trips just get better from here.
Old 04-02-13, 09:08 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by philkratz
Very cool! I live in Philly and work over in Lakehurst nj. I wanna do a trip just like that with my fargo. Looks like the fatter the tires the better! I'm totally clueless on where to go there and where is cool to camp I've never actually been out there before. Thanks for posting!
Here is the site for Wharton State Forest:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...s/wharton.html

There is an internal link for camping.

There are also some off-road trails here that you can bike, although I believe there are fewer miles of them:

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandf...rks/belle.html

From the park you can do some road riding out to Heislerville Fish & Wildlife Management Area, where there are a few dirt roads. I have ridden paved roads in that area to East Point Lighthouse, which is a great place to see horseshoe crabs mating in late May/early June. Lots of birding opportunities back there, too. One caveat: Don't know what, if any, damage Sandy did down that way.

You can take PATCO to Lindenwold to cut down the road miles. Here is a route from Lindenwold to Belleplain that's 52 miles:

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/lin-belle

One problem with Belleplain is that there is no grocery store anywhere near. There is a small market in Woodbine that recently re-opened (Corner of Washington & CR 550). I haven't been there since it did so I don't know what they stock. East on CR 550 toward U.S. 9 there is a pizza place called Soprano's. Further east, near the junction with CR 610, there is a deli/liquor store and a sit-down restaurant/bar. All are within a few miles ride from the park entrance.
Old 04-02-13, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Jude
In summary, next weekend I'm going to be taking the Troll to some place with nice, firm-packed terrain and nary a grain of sand in sight!
Where?
Old 04-02-13, 10:20 AM
RyeRey521

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz

You can take PATCO to Lindenwold to cut down the road miles. Here is a route from Lindenwold to Belleplain that's 52 miles:
If you transfer to the NJ Transit line you would be better off getting off in Atco or Hammonton. I can tell one of the pictures from the OP places them on the corner of Jackson and Atsion rd which means they likly started their ride near Atsion Lake. Hammonton would set you off closer to Batso are which has better trails imo...
Old 04-02-13, 12:57 PM
tom cotter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Off road in the Pine Barrens, good for hiking, not so much for biking. The sand is just too deep. There are Mountain Bike Trails at Batsto. They are maintained by the local South Jersey Mountain Bike Club. The trails don't have the deep sand you'll find on the Fire Roads, but aren't extensive enough for extended touring. Great day riding though!

One other thing for anyone reading this and saying to themselves hey I wanna do that - the Pine Barrens is truely a beautiful and unique place, but it's main inhabitant is something that could do you great harm. That is the deer tick. About 30% of the population of these incidious little monsters are infected with Lyme disease. Any time you are in these woods when it is above freezing you are a potential meal ticket. The minimum result being 3 weeks of Doxy and no sun exposure to the max being a life long debilitating illness or even death.

From about this time of year until November my only trips into the pines are on the waterways. And even there these bastards will get you. I get bitten two or three times a year. Usually, when i'm kayaking.

Prevention ranges from staying out of the woods and fields to using chemical repellents like Permethrin. Barrier systems have no way of working with a cyclist in shorts. Knowing the tick's habitat is also a biggie in knowing how to safely set up camp etc. It is possible to come out of this area without ticks on you. But, it is an experiment in awareness and caution.

Last edited by tom cotter; 04-02-13 at 01:02 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 01:16 PM
tom cotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RyeRey521
If you transfer to the NJ Transit line you would be better off getting off in Atco or Hammonton. I can tell one of the pictures from the OP places them on the corner of Jackson and Atsion rd which means they likly started their ride near Atsion Lake. Hammonton would set you off closer to Batso are which has better trails imo...
+1. Good point Rye! Hammonton station puts a rider about six or seven or so miles outside of Wharton and in the heart of the Pine Barrens. It's also closer to Mrs Leeds house - so watch out for that night riding!!!!

Easy camping destinations from there.

From Philly, a rider looking for more of a ride could exit the PATCO Line at Woodcrest Station and ride the 3 easy miles to Kresson Road in Cherry Hill. Kresson passes within a half mile of my house. For that reason it is a route we know well! Once on Kresson it is about 32 miles to Batsto with traffic ever decreasing as you go east.

A three campground tour might include Bass River, Belleplain, and Parvin State Parks or for the more adventurous short tourers, a trip across the Delaware Bay at Cape May with night spent in Cape Henelopen State Park in Delaware. All sorts of possibilities.

There are also places like Bodine Field and Crowley's landing where camping cost is just a few dollars per night ( permits purchased at Batsto)

Stealth camping is also a big possibility in the Pines. Butttt, as warned in my previous post, trying to mix in with the foliage could come at high cost. Best to stay on the sandy open areas.

Last edited by tom cotter; 04-02-13 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-02-13, 01:21 PM
ksisler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jude -

Awesome report! Will you every be able to set around with bike buddies and not tell about the time you went over in a foot of cold water... not likely and that is one of the most important benefits of biking; the experiences!

I think you have already decided to move some weight to the front. A low rider rack might be good to go. Could also downsize your sleeping pad, etc., to get your bulk under control. Agree with you that the Ortlieb bags will make a great upgrade. I myself am wrestling with the cost of making that same decision (which would also finally allow me to have a complete, fashionable set of water resistant bags front, rear, racktop, handlebar & seatpost, etc. in matching yellow color).

Plow on
/K
Old 04-02-13, 05:17 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you plan on riding a lot of sandy areas where more floatation would be helpful you can always build a set of wheels with 65mm wide rims, I turned my Troll into a Semi-fatbike with a quick wheel swap, I bounce between these and my "normal" wheels depending on terrain/mood.

This one is my Troll with 2.35 Nevagals next to a Pugsly, it actually did well hanging with "proper" fatbikes on snow and frozen rivers.

Old 04-02-13, 08:54 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
those trolls are neat looking bikes, I drooled over one at a shop during the winter. Neat looking versatile bikes.

re grips, Ergons can be pretty expensive, I have a reasonably priced pair of another brand on my mtn bike (under $20), they work great. They have a lock thing to keep them in place, and the shape works well for me. Havent used Ergons, Im sure they are great, but I believe the most inexpensive model is around $50, and others much more. Not to say they arent great, might be worth it as with all things well made and work well, but the cheaper ones imo are a good value/comfort deal. Going from traditional round grips to ones with wider end bits really made a big diff in long term hand comfort, distributing the pressure over a wider area works wonders.
*its really important to get ones that are locking, using a small 2 or 2.5mm allen key, non locking ones will change angles invariably over time.
These are a second pair I got to put on another bike in the family, just never got around to doing it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
grips.jpeg (50.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-03-13, 11:46 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by RyeRey521
Hammonton would be the logical stop for either Belleplain or Wharton/Batsto.
Old 04-04-13, 08:22 PM
Pukeskywalker

Bikes: '93 Cannondale T-1000, '03 Cannondale R800

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tom cotter
Off road in the Pine Barrens, good for hiking, not so much for biking. The sand is just too deep. There are Mountain Bike Trails at Batsto. They are maintained by the local South Jersey Mountain Bike Club. The trails don't have the deep sand you'll find on the Fire Roads, but aren't extensive enough for extended touring. Great day riding though!

One other thing for anyone reading this and saying to themselves hey I wanna do that - the Pine Barrens is truely a beautiful and unique place, but it's main inhabitant is something that could do you great harm. That is the deer tick. About 30% of the population of these incidious little monsters are infected with Lyme disease. Any time you are in these woods when it is above freezing you are a potential meal ticket. The minimum result being 3 weeks of Doxy and no sun exposure to the max being a life long debilitating illness or even death.

From about this time of year until November my only trips into the pines are on the waterways. And even there these bastards will get you. I get bitten two or three times a year. Usually, when i'm kayaking.

Prevention ranges from staying out of the woods and fields to using chemical repellents like Permethrin. Barrier systems have no way of working with a cyclist in shorts. Knowing the tick's habitat is also a biggie in knowing how to safely set up camp etc. It is possible to come out of this area without ticks on you. But, it is an experiment in awareness and caution.
Can't worry enough about ticks. Infection rate keeps going up. I saw a roommate of mine go a few months before she realized she had lyme. Not a good experience. There's also a debate in the medical community about the effectiveness of lyme disease treatments.

Then there is rocky mountain spotted fever and a few other nasty things those deer ticks carry. I'm done with camping in the east coast woods unless it's a touristy area with low deer/rodent population.
Old 04-08-13, 09:50 AM
tom cotter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly right!!! Lota respect is the best way to go!

There are ways to minimize the threat. But it is a PIA! And, not fool proof! If you stay away from bushes, grasslands, and trees you should be OK. In the Pine Barrens i stay out of the woods 9 months out of the year. That is, no trail blazing in above freezing temps. Set up camp on sand and sand only. Even those inviting pine needle covered sites are trouble. Make sure trail to campsite has a tick free way to traverse. Sticking to center of sand covered trails is the way to go.

I see people hiking or even by the side of the road picking berries and say, no way!!!! While kayaking, getting swept into a bank of bushes or grass, trouble! Like i said, doable ,but a big PIA!

Right now, the Mountain Bike is mostly parked. there are a few places to take it, but much of NJ IMO, is now out of bounds.