Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Dallas / East Texas Spring Rides - Spring Fever and Tour de Cypress - and others

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Dallas / East Texas Spring Rides - Spring Fever and Tour de Cypress - and others

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-06, 08:37 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Trying (again) to get a roll call of any BF members thinking of, planning on, or will be at any of these rides.

1) Spring Fever - March 25th - about an hour and a half outside DFW. I'll be on the 44mi route, they also have longer and shorter routes.

2) Tour de Cypress - April 8th - This is my "birthday" ride this year. I'll be 25 on the 7th and moving into my new apartment on the 11th, but inbetween I plan to be headed for Mt. Vernon, Tx for this ride. I currently don't know of any other riders attending so finding a couple of people to ride with on this one would be great. It's a fair distance outside DFW though so it would make for a fairly long day.

3) suggestions or anyone else planning rides for in around Dallas / East Texas
Old 03-15-06, 09:08 AM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
J- Talked to the wife, the TD Cypress is probably doable, esp. if this weekends ride is rained out. Just have to clear it with the soccer coach now. We need to ride White Rock again soon too. -JS
Old 03-15-06, 10:24 AM
kingsfan4life
GO KINGS!

Bikes: 2006 Specialized Allez Elite, Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm doing the tour Dallas on April 1st but can'tmake these

just look for the California flag jersey amongst the angry Texans
Old 03-15-06, 01:16 PM
aggie_grad

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes I will be doing the Sulphur Springs ride. I am signed up to ride the 70 mile route on the tandem with my wife. I may have to ride it alone if she backs out and does the shorter distance with the rest of my family. I was also planning on doing the Mt Vernon ride again this year but I have not decided definately. If you do the Mt Vernon, be sure to do the 45 or 80 mile route as this is nicest route with all of the lake crossings. Of course it is also a little more hilly.

I am sure I will see some of you at the SS ride. There will probably be 350 riders but only a handfull of tandems.
Old 03-15-06, 01:27 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Sulphur Springs - look for me on my Barracuda Mk.I. It will be the only metalic blue lugged steel bike with a big grinning fish on the head-tube. Depending on weather, I'll probably be either in my bright yellow long sleeve jersey or my SS Peloton Pale Ale.

Mt. Vernon - look for me on my Gazelle Champion. See above for likely clothing choices. I will be doing the 45mi route. We had a lake home out that way at Lake Cypress Springs so I know the area well, and yes, the hills will be something of a challenge.

If anyone wants to try to meet up prior to the start send me a PM.
Old 03-17-06, 12:26 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

*crossing fingers that the 25th's weather forecast stays where it is now*
Old 03-21-06, 05:58 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Update on weather for Spring Fever:

Low in the upper 30's - guess low 40's for a start time temp. Winds claim to be light, and I hold out hope for that after the last few weeks/month of 20+mph every other day. I have decided to ride the Barracuda Mk.I that day - either a bright yellow or my Peloton Pale Ale jersey.

Hope to see some of you out there!
Old 03-21-06, 10:36 PM
Lecterman
The Guadfather

Bikes: Trek, Centurion, Kuwahara coming soon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am up for the Sulphur Springs ride this weekend, just working on the transportation angle, as my wife needs the car.
Old 03-21-06, 11:39 PM
formulaben

Bikes: Felt F2C, Scott Spark 40, and Custom Fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As of right now, I'm supposed to be in Dallas during the weekend of the Spring Fever ride. I'm staying at the Wyndham next to the Galleria, just South of Addison airport. I would love to join you guys if I can get my bike there. How long would it take to get to Sulphur Springs from Addison early in the AM on Saturday?!
Old 03-21-06, 11:46 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

formulaben - mapquest puts it at 1hr 30mins. Which by my experience is probably about right - esp for someone not fimilar with the roads.

btw: what days are you in town? I work in the Galleria towers myself.
Old 03-22-06, 02:19 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Sulphur Springs 45mi route - w/ elevation - https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=77609

Tour de Cypress 45mi route w/ elevation - https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=77649

Tour de Cypress 36mi route w/ elevation - https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=77674

Note - major difference in climbing between 45 and 36mi routes. I grew up with a lake home on Cypress Springs and know the area - and some of these hills. I hope I am in shape for that 45mi route. School is going to keep me busy - but the challenge is calling my name.
Old 03-22-06, 02:29 PM
mike9903

Bikes: 09 Orbea Orca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where is the start point for the Tour of Cypress? I am in San Antonio and would love to do it, but I am not sure how far it is from me. Also, I am not sure if I could keep up with all you savy vets!

EDIT: Just found the start point, did not realize that the OP had posted a link. Still, how far of a drive is this?
Old 03-22-06, 02:48 PM
formulaben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
formulaben - mapquest puts it at 1hr 30mins. Which by my experience is probably about right - esp for someone not fimilar with the roads.

btw: what days are you in town? I work in the Galleria towers myself.
Well, the plan is always fluid, but as of right now, we'll be getting in late on Thursday, so I'll be around on Friday and Saturday, leaving Sunday...changes to the plan are at the whim of the boss. Are you working at the towers on Friday? And by towers, do you mean the Westin?
Old 03-22-06, 02:53 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

formulaben - the Galleria mall has 3 attached office towers plus the Westin Hotel. If you are going to be at the Westin/Galloria at lunch time Friday I'll be free.

distance from San Antonio - probably a good lengthy drive, probably long enough it wouldn't be a 1 day thing unless you had a couple people to share driving duties... going to check mapquest...

Survey... eh... Mapquest... says - 6 hours each way from San Antonio. However you should be able to find a cheap hotel in the area or in the Dallas area to stay at Friday night. Ride and drive home (and hopefully not fall asleep at the wheel!)
Old 03-22-06, 02:54 PM
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by formulaben
Well, the plan is always fluid, but as of right now, we'll be getting in late on Thursday, so I'll be around on Friday and Saturday, leaving Sunday...changes to the plan are at the whim of the boss. Are you working at the towers on Friday? And by towers, do you mean the Westin?
My wife works in the towers as well, Guardian Life. You can rent trek 1200, maybe other bikes from richardson bike mart. www.bikemart.com
Old 03-22-06, 02:56 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We'll be on our orange CoMo tandem if I start feeling better, otherwise I'll be laying in a binjo ditch somewhere on Saturday.
Old 03-22-06, 02:58 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Yeah, forgot to mention RBM's rentals. Had thought of that late last night when I posted first but went to bed before actually making the post.
Old 03-22-06, 04:26 PM
formulaben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doggus
We'll be on our orange CoMo tandem if I start feeling better, otherwise I'll be laying in a binjo ditch somewhere on Saturday.
What's a binjo?
Old 03-22-06, 05:34 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

What's a binjo?

"binjo ditch" (Natural Irrigation Conduit)

- the google saves the day again.

doggus, hope you're feelin better soon man. I'll keep an eye out for the bike and you. I'll probably have about 5 square inches of skin showing, so spotting me will likely be done by the bike too.
Old 03-22-06, 08:07 PM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's a binjo?
'Natural irrigation conduit' - ha...that's a nice way of putting it.

Open raw sewage ditches in Korea and other parts of Asia. i.e. where I go to lay when I feel like poop.

Here's a fresh one. I bet this cyslist is really enjoying the smell...

Old 03-22-06, 09:33 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

^^ I was afraid that was another traslation of the term. Again - get to feelin better soon. Though I wouldn't ride till you got to feeling pretty close to 100% in the temps that they are forecasting for that morning. Every time I go back to weather.com it seems the low temp has dropped by a degree - maybe I shouldn't look so often!
Old 03-22-06, 09:49 PM
formulaben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Geez, I'm usually the Google nazi and here I forgot. Thanks for the pics, guys.
Old 03-22-06, 11:19 PM
formulaben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Sulphur Springs - look for me on my Barracuda Mk.I. It will be the only metalic blue lugged steel bike with a big grinning fish on the head-tube.
Got a picture?!
Old 03-23-06, 08:21 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Lots-o-pictures in the 'Barracuda Mk.I' link in my Signature - but here's a couple shots that should hopefully make me easy to spot:

- note the triangle frame bag. Shouldn't be too many out there with one.
Old 03-23-06, 11:58 AM
formulaben

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Geez, I don't know what my deal is. I forgot to google and then I didn't bother clicking on the bike link. Work has been very busy lately and I think I've lost my mind. Cuda, I'll PM you regarding the ride.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.