Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Are bike paths more dangerous than roads?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Are bike paths more dangerous than roads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 01:38 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5890 Post(s)
Liked 3,475 Times in 2,080 Posts
MUPs vary. I ride one regularly that has very low traffic M-F. I rode it this Sunday morning with a buddy of mine. The vast majority of the users were cyclists and most of them have a reasonable idea of what they are doing. So it's pretty safe but you need situational awareness esp. around corners and the like.

The point is that a lot depends on the road and a lot depends on the MUP. Some roads are dangerous and so are some MUPs. Others are not.
Old 06-08-14, 01:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Location, Location,location (rule 1 in Real-Estate)

Which one, where ?

Al did you make a comment to the local, City Council
about erecting a Sharp curve, slow down! cautionary sign?

Europe, on their Hairpin highway turns they often mount a Dome mirror on them,
so you can see around that corner .

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-23-14 at 03:21 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 02:36 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked 834 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Which one, where ?

Europe, on their Hairpin highway turns they often mount a Dome mirror on them,
so you can see around that corner .
Some of the bike paths, MUPs, in Europe have speed bumps, "drempels" in The Netherlands.
Old 06-08-14, 02:50 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Wow! While it can be dangerous riding a bike anywhere, the MUPs in my area are nothing like what you guys are posting. I ride one daily and will not ride on a public road anywhere in my county unless it's with a group.

The MUPs here are well paved and well maintained. Those that have roads that cross the path give you plenty of warning that a stop is approaching. The MUP that I ride is vehicle free, except for the park rangers and the vehicles that come to maintain the well field. These vehicles normally don't ride on the path and if they do, will get off the path and yield to anyone on it. The path is a one way loop with only the paths from the parking lots having two way traffic. While it gets crowded on weekends, very few incidents happen. The other MUPS I have ridden in my area are pretty much the same.

Florida has some awesome paths and rail trails and the state has just approved a connection of several trails to make a continuous user trail of close to 250 miles that crosses the state from coast to coast.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 06-08-14, 02:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Likewise Drempels in the Streets.
Old 06-08-14, 09:33 PM
jschlarb

Bikes: '06 Giant OCR3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of my accidents have been on MUPs. Ours path have a lot of boardwalk, which gets really slippery after a rain. I agree with those who say that riding fast on a busy MUP is dangerous and dumb.

I prefer to ride on the road with cars, and I do everything I can to ride safely there: obey traffic signs, wear bright colors, use a taillight, ride predictably, and "take the lane" when it's appropriate. I prefer roads where it's easy for cars to pass me, and avoid busy roads.
Old 06-09-14, 05:58 AM
VACaver

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, a MTN bike, and a road bike gathering dust

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently rode the Pinellas trail while on vacation in Florida and really enjoyed it. Having one paved section for pedestrians and one for cyclists, with grass in between, was awesome!
Old 06-09-14, 06:08 AM
sirupate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike path nearest me is very crowded on the weekends. Speeds are high too, at least among the better riders. Tight turns in wooded areas with no visibility through the turn can be a problem. The park service also drives their trucks on the path, so you never know when you will be approaching one of those.
Old 06-09-14, 07:13 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
Bike paths are perfectly safe if you travel 7mph. At 12mph it's a little dicey if there are kids on the path. At 15mph it's dangerous. My wife's only accident in the last 10 years was on a bike path travelling at a reasonable speed as another woman veered to her left in spite of our warning of passing and care being taken. By their nature bike paths are for non-cyclists and that makes them inherently dangerous.
I'd argue that's more an issue with failure to avoid high overtaking speeds, failure to take into account possibilities with folks one is passing.

Same basic risk on a roadway or a bike path, really.

Going 15mph on a bike path isn't inherently risky, so long as it's not unduly risking the overtaking of others when they're all too likely to make a strange move before knowing you're there. Going 50mph on a roadway in a car isn't inherently risky, so long as avoiding the same basic risks ... passing someone pulled over on the shoulder, passing someone in the next lane, etc.

Sure, there are neophytes on bike paths. But I'd argue bike paths are for all bikes such that they have an option for keeping away from cars, not merely as a spot for newbies to hang out. I've seen all sorts, on the proper paths, 'round here. And so long as folks are respecting the risks of overtaking speeds and of coming too close to folks from behind, there's generally little to no risk.
Old 06-09-14, 08:32 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
The old school path Paul Dudley White bike path has it's share of problems.

Years ago, my closest call was here. Before they installed the rail at the base of the footbridge, runners would pop out into the path out of the blind spot of the stairs. I was very nearly stopped when the runner grabbed my handlebars and brake levers and locked my front wheel. I hugged him.

These series of blind corners are now the problem. It's not the walkers, or the runners that's the problem. This is the spot where too many cyclists are blind passing. It's getting worse. I just don't get King of the Mup "hidden" segments.

New school.
Separated pedestrian/bicycle/auto. Anyone prefer cycling on West Street? Anyone?

BTW, unpredictable pedestrians and cyclists? They only are on mups where you cycle? I find them on roads all the time too.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 06-09-14 at 09:06 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 08:55 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Originally Posted by Zinger
This is why I've come to just saying "Hello".
"On your left" confuses people who've never heard that before. I've had the very same reaction happen to me and more than once.
"Passing through." ....then as I pass: "Good morning!"

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
Funny, I'm planning a century next week on the Little Miami River trail. I know to creep through areas like Loveland and Morrow, so I doubt it will be an issue. Many of the road crossings are not well designed, and I worry about being blind sided near the end. Gotta be careful, even on the wonderful rails to trails.
On the way to Morrow, there's a series of road crossings with very little traffic; you almost never see a car. So a rider was killed a couple of years ago when he didn't slow for one of those roads. I can see how it happens.

After a mile or so from the Little Miami Trail rest stops, it mostly looks like this, even on a weekend:

Last edited by rm -rf; 06-09-14 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 09:07 AM
NOS88

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
I'd like to add something else to the discussion. I accept the premise that danger exists on MUPs and the road. However, for me danger is not the only variable that enters into where I chose to ride. On Sunday morning I was riding both roads and MUPs. On the MUP I passed a woman running with her infant daughter in a three-wheeled stroller for runners. As I passed, I noticed the woman was working hard and had a grimace on her face. Her infant daughter, however, was discovering her toes and was delighted with being able to put them in her mouth. It's something I'm not likely to see while on the road. I confess to picking an MUP sometimes because it provides just such an experience.
Old 06-09-14, 09:16 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
If the design is done properly both roads and MUPs are very safe. Many cities are including bicycles in their transportation funds and are building very safe protected bike lanes. Rail to Trail and canal towpaths are inherently safe but us bikers need to keep in mind that these are multi use paths and are for meandering not speeding.
Old 06-09-14, 09:31 AM
Mvcrash

Bikes: Trek 4900, Cannondale Cx-4

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know a fact: If you drive/ride/walk/jog or run like an ass, you increase your chances of injury significantly. There is a little know violation that most States have on the books but used very little. "Speed to fast for conditions", take it for what its worth (which could be nothing) Basically, Speed kills, Slow down, you may live longer.
Old 06-09-14, 09:50 AM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Once a year I take my life into my hands and ride the trails around Madison, Wi.. The most danger I've found, comes primarily in the shape of "roadies" (and I mean that in a pejorative sense). They seem to think that the ownership of a more expensive bike and team kit, gives them extraordinary rights. High speed, close passing without warning, blowing through crossings, and trail hogging are not terribly unusual. That being said, most of the people on the trails are pretty good about watching out for other walkers, bikers, etc.

Locally, I feel equally safe on on the roads, which I prefer, or the trail. Heck, I'm probably more of a threat on the trail as I tend to drift a bit when not feeling the need to pay attention and the local trail is lightly used.
Old 06-09-14, 10:06 AM
modelmartin

Bikes: 89 Raleigh Technium PRE, 92 SP 1000 ti, '09 Team Pro, 72 International, 63 Hercules 3-spd, '81 Vitus 979, 2 Kabuki Submariners, 2 C. Itoh Submariners, Gary Fisher Big Sur, Skyway 3-spd, Robin Hood w/ S-A IGH 5 speed.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On paths the peds, kids, pets, etc are a known quantity and easy to deal with. What I can't stand are some of the cyclists! People riding side by side who refuse to go single file when others are approaching or passing. Wannabe racers time trialing on the paths, etc are a true hazard to all.

Just yesterday some chick tried to pass a friend of hers while entering a very narrow section of a path that has a concrete wall on one side and a 4x4 wood barrier on the other. She locked up her front tire on the dry pavement and missed front-ending me by about a foot. I saw her coming and slowed down and was actually stopped before she was. I just told her that it was not a good place to ride fast. I only ride the path in that area because the street is very narrow and potholed. 95% of the time I will take the roads!

Last edited by modelmartin; 06-09-14 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-09-14, 10:41 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Which one, where ?

The Sacramento River Trail:

Yes, I sent some organization a letter with just that request.
Old 06-09-14, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Any Reply? Action taken?
Old 06-09-14, 06:05 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Generally I find bike paths safer, but at times more frustrating. I try to avoid them at peak times. I rarely ride fast unless I have clear open space. I ride extra cautious around kids and elderly. Always at least do rolling stop at crossings. I usually find motorists approaching the crossings to be very accomodating. I mostly use the paths as connectors on a longer route. I like the road for riding faster, but have had a handful of malicious run-ins with motorists; and one case of motorist missing stop sign while I was riding fast with right of way.
Old 06-09-14, 08:13 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,434 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you ride them in the early AM they're OK. But they are too crowded in the afternoon and you have a good chance of having a collision with a walkers, cyclists, kids, dogs, wagons, skaters, skateboaders and so no.
Old 06-09-14, 08:46 PM
walta1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last weekend I was walking in the Creve Coeur lake trail after this jack wagon on a bike passes me from behind unannounced, after the third time at 18 MPH with less than 3 inches of clearance. My thoughts are about how to knock him off the bike without injuring myself.

Is there a safe way to get my message across?

Walta
Old 06-09-14, 08:49 PM
NoviceJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Safety on MUP depends. MUP in my area is pretty safe. People (joggers, dog walkers, walkers, other cyclists) are pretty compliant to the rules of the trail. Of course, there are still a few who thinks they own the MUP. I'm fortunate to have MUP where it does not cross many busy roads. Most roads to cross are not busy at all and do not need to slow down. On roads, I can't say because I try to avoid the roads as much as I can since I live in Florida
Old 06-09-14, 09:08 PM
ChargerDawg

Bikes: Madone 5.9, Sequoia, World Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a broken elbow right now as a result of a head on collision on a MUP.

The small kids are the most challenging. They are just all over the road. He went for a drink of water while riding his bike, veered into my lane, and a hit him. I did not have a chance to avoid him.

Actually bikers in packs can be a pain as well.

But in the grand scheme of things, a MUP is probably safer than the streets.
Old 06-09-14, 10:40 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2905 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 308 Posts
Originally Posted by walta1
Last weekend I was walking in the Creve Coeur lake trail after this jack wagon on a bike passes me from behind unannounced, after the third time at 18 MPH with less than 3 inches of clearance. My thoughts are about how to knock him off the bike without injuring myself.

Is there a safe way to get my message across?

Walta

I suppose you could Cinzano him (at 1:20)

Just kidding....just kidding
Old 06-10-14, 09:25 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't think paths are more dangerous, they are just different.

I ride the roads much differently than I ride a path. On a path, I assume that near trail heads I will need to slow down for pedestrians, and have no issue with slowing way down to wait for a gap if there is two way activity. On long trails where I am more than 3 miles from the nearest trail head or crossing, I am able to ride a little more steadily.

I do regularly see one person on a local levee that is obviously into beating his personal best time, because he doesn't seem to slow down for anything, or give any alert that he is passing, or even look up to adapt to the situation... he focuses about 10' in front of his wheel. That dude doesn't belong on a shared trail... but someone who rides differently to accommodate the trail can be perfectly safe on a MUP.

I have encountered people having mini-reunions, walkers, cyclists of all ages, runners, people oblivious to their surroundings, dog walkers, even a group of reservists running in formation... I even had one person intentionally blocking most of the trail to slow people down, and one 10 year old kid that was standing on the trail, then suddenly took off on his scooter directly into my path while still looking at the friend he was talking to... he actually got snotty when I told him to watch where he was going, but still not dangerous to me, because I am always willing to slow down or stop.

I figure that the slowing and accelerating adds a little to the variety of the workout, and adjust my riding style to be as safe as possible. The short distances that I do ride the road, the number of "opponents" increase, and they tend to be more predictable, but they are much bigger and harder than I am, so I ride differently.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.