Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Australia - New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Aussie thread. . . part cinq.

Notices
Australia - New Zealand Australia - New Zealand

The Aussie thread. . . part cinq.

Old 10-11-20, 03:56 AM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,890 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by AUPedla
Stage 4 lockdown here too, I'm onto my 2nd COVID retro resto build. I just got back from picking up a great condition complete Shimano 600 Tricolour groupset. It is going on a Paconi Columbus frame. Paconi (Kevin Wigham) was a local MEL frame builder in the 80s/90s.
Nice, show us a photo! I spotted a yellow Paconi earlier today, looked tidy. Still kicking myself for not getting one that popped up on Gumtree a few years back for $400 complete with 600 Tricolour, but at the time I just didn't have the cash.

My mate recently got a Cecil Walker which I suspect is Kev Wigham built - SLX I think, really nice looking bike, sparkly purple.

I've got a fair bit of Tricolour stuff in the parts bin if you're ever looking for spare parts.
Old 10-11-20, 04:01 AM
sixty2strat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
I've been a bit lazy to be honest - only getting out once or twice a week doing a lap of Brunswick and up via Essendon to Airport West and back via Mascoma St.

Saturday morning somehow I managed to lose a quick link on my chain, so I had to walk home...luckily I observed the 5k limit!
Damn have you lost a quick link before? that sounds pretty dangerous! Ive been riding brunswick vel only, haven't bothered with street riding with 5k limit. Looking forward to a beach ride soon..
Old 10-11-20, 04:18 AM
P!N20

Originally Posted by sixty2strat
Damn have you lost a quick link before?
Nah, I didn't even think it was possible! Thankfully I was stationary when it happened - at an intersection when I realised I was in a fairly high gear, so I did the old shift down to the small ring while leaning on the front brake to get the rear wheel off the ground to spin it into gear. Trouble was I was kind of half way through that process when the lights went green and I decided to take off...ker-chunk! I thought the chain had just dropped off the rings or cogs, but I looked down and there was my chain on the ground. (Wippermann Connex chain that doesn't snap together like KMC chains.)

It wasn't until I got to the side of the road that I realised one side of the quick link was missing. I spent a good ten minutes looking for it, but no luck - a car may have flicked it away. I wasn't too worried as it was probably time for a new chain anyway, it was only that I didn't get to my ride that I was annoyed about!
Old 10-11-20, 02:41 PM
AUPedla

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
Nice, show us a photo! I spotted a yellow Paconi earlier today, looked tidy. Still kicking myself for not getting one that popped up on Gumtree a few years back for $400 complete with 600 Tricolour, but at the time I just didn't have the cash.

My mate recently got a Cecil Walker which I suspect is Kev Wigham built - SLX I think, really nice looking bike, sparkly purple.

I've got a fair bit of Tricolour stuff in the parts bin if you're ever looking for spare parts.
Here's the Paconi, I have an XA stem for it, building it as a 90s era.

My first road bike back in the late 80's was a Wigham built Cecil Walker with 600. I kick myself now for selling it.

Likes For AUPedla:
Old 10-11-20, 04:02 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by AUPedla
Here's the Paconi, I have an XA stem for it, building it as a 90s era.
Yes! Love it. Any cutouts under the BB shell? I've seen a few Paconis with 5 holes in the shape of the Southern Cross. Throw another pic up when it's finished.
Old 10-11-20, 05:22 PM
sixty2strat

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nah, I didn't even think it was possible! Thankfully I was stationary when it happened - at an intersection when I realised I was in a fairly high gear, so I did the old shift down to the small ring while leaning on the front brake to get the rear wheel off the ground to spin it into gear. Trouble was I was kind of half way through that process when the lights went green and I decided to take off...ker-chunk! I thought the chain had just dropped off the rings or cogs, but I looked down and there was my chain on the ground. (Wippermann Connex chain that doesn't snap together like KMC chains.)

It wasn't until I got to the side of the road that I realised one side of the quick link was missing. I spent a good ten minutes looking for it, but no luck - a car may have flicked it away. I wasn't too worried as it was probably time for a new chain anyway, it was only that I didn't get to my ride that I was annoyed about!
arr right.. for some reason I assumed fixie, but still potentially dangerous on the roads!.. sounds like a cheap warning to get a new chain
Likes For sixty2strat:
Old 10-11-20, 05:28 PM
AUPedla

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
Yes! Love it. Any cutouts under the BB shell? I've seen a few Paconis with 5 holes in the shape of the Southern Cross. Throw another pic up when it's finished.
Here you go.

Likes For AUPedla:
Old 10-11-20, 05:53 PM
P!N20

Ah yeah. This is one I've seen with the Southern Cross cutout (sorry for the Photobucket image):

Of course, it's easier to do on track bikes without any bothersome cable guides to get in the way!
Old 11-01-20, 08:50 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Ahhhhhh there's an Aussie side thread on this forum. Always good to know you guys are there. Have been a member for about a week with a thread currently running in C&V. If you haven't seen take a look, i need some Australian 1980's frame knowledge.
Old 11-25-20, 02:47 AM
sixty2strat

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can you guys recommend a half-decent chainring bag / track sack with a purchase link?.. Cant seem to find these in AU.. overseas is like 120+ to get it shipped here.
Old 11-30-20, 08:14 PM
P!N20

Originally Posted by sixty2strat
Can you guys recommend a half-decent chainring bag / track sack with a purchase link?.. Cant seem to find these in AU.. overseas is like 120+ to get it shipped here.
It won't save you any money, but SkinGrowsBack do chainring bags - top notch quality and an Aussie company: https://skingrowsback.com/collections/chainring-bag
Old 11-30-20, 08:18 PM
sixty2strat

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It won't save you any money, but SkinGrowsBack do chainring bags - top notch quality and an Aussie company: https://skingrowsback.com/collections/chainring-bag
woww $124 really?.. Thanks but not quite there yet. Anyone using some cheap alternatives? have heard of electrician bags etc.. I need one of those old Tazo folders haha

Maybe this is not a bad option...
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Jack-O-T...EAAOSwax5YwJje

Last edited by sixty2strat; 11-30-20 at 08:29 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.