Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

For those with concealed weapons permits....

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

For those with concealed weapons permits....

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 08:57 PM
Whiteknight

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should point out here that the video shown in the news report is not the actual place where the elderly rider was attacked. The section where he was attacked was behind the Palmer Candy property. He was knocked off his bike by the one young male with a single strong punch to the side of the head. He fell against a 6 foot fence topped with barb wire. The other side of the trail is dense shrubbery with a steep bank down into the Schuylkill River. The elderly man had no means of escape. When the one male jumped on top of him the second went at him from a side angle. He had no choice. Had he not shot the two of them he would most likely be in a managed care facility with brain damage. Two of these thugs lived in the govt. housing project mentioned in my previous post. The two surviving thugs are spending maybe a year in a juvvie facility where they will be taught to lead a useful life. According to the sentencing judge.
Old 07-11-13, 05:17 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
One reason I am NOT a fan of MUP's and try to choose the areas I ride in carefully. But even with those goals in mind, things still happen. In this case the man was well with in his rights and it saved his life.

There is an MUP in a large city about an hour from me that has been having assaults on an average of once a week. Unfortunately the laws prohibit carrying a loaded weapon on this MUP. I won't be using it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-11-13, 08:37 AM
Whiteknight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wahoonc
One reason I am NOT a fan of MUP's and try to choose the areas I ride in carefully. But even with those goals in mind, things still happen. In this case the man was well with in his rights and it saved his life.

There is an MUP in a large city about an hour from me that has been having assaults on an average of once a week. Unfortunately the laws prohibit carrying a loaded weapon on this MUP. I won't be using it.

Aaron
Check your state law. Here in Pennsylvania local government agencies cannot enact laws regarding firearms. The Thun Trail was constructed and is maintained by the Schuylkill Greenway Association. Then the state's DNR erects their park signs. One rule prohibits firearms on the trail. But they cannot enforce that rule in any form. They cannot preempt laws passed by the state legislature in regards to firearms. A new sign erected on a recently rebuilt section of the Thun Trail states that loaded firearms are prohibited. Given all of the attacks on trail users in the last two years in the Reading section of the trail I had to laugh at the rule. A few years ago I saw a state DNR ranger checking the Brentwood access area parking lot. Just to tick him off I got out of the car open carry. Which is perfectly legal in PA. All he could do was sit there in his truck and glare at me. Once he left I went back to concealed carry.
Old 07-11-13, 04:50 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Bikes: in my sig line

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cuzzinit
Totally useless against charging Kimono Dragons in the Galapagos
Belly bag or handlebar depending of size/weight
If I were a cartoonist, I'd draw a dragon wearing a kimono. However, KOMODO dragons are not among the animals of the Galapagos.
Old 07-11-13, 05:00 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PlanoFuji
Sorry MS spelling police, I meant cavalry...
Fixed that for you.
Old 07-11-13, 05:22 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Condorita
Fixed that for you.
The Spanish get it right with using the masculine gender for unknowns...

Maybe one day you may even be a Mrs...
Old 07-11-13, 06:46 PM
cuzzinit

Bikes: motorized cruiser,& Mtn bike & Folder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were a cartoonist, I'd draw a dragon wearing a kimono. However, KOMODO dragons are not among the animals of the Galapagos.
Remember to place it in the Gallupagoes, with a water resistant Kimono

Last edited by cuzzinit; 07-11-13 at 06:48 PM. Reason: caca pasa
Old 07-11-13, 09:23 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
I ALWAYS carry on the bicycle since I was attacked by pit bull dogs and broke my leg as a result and they continued their attack afterwards, three years ago now. I carry in a small fanny pack. I carry either a compact Glock 40S&W or a new Ruger LCR .357 revolver loaded for bear, a police type Mace holster on the bag and my wallet with license, change for a coke etc. I make no apologies and do not care what others think.

LC
Old 07-12-13, 12:47 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I do carry on the bike, it is a J-frame in one of these. Not the most breathable garment, but it works. Just have to wear a slightly baggy jersey.

https://www.511tactical.com/All-Produ...ter-Shirt.html

Fanny pack just didn't work for me.
Old 07-12-13, 03:28 PM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Spanish get it right with using the masculine gender for unknowns...

Maybe one day you may even be a Mrs...
One: my marital status is none of your business unless I choose to make it so. Two: I would most assuredly keep my current surname and the title.
Old 07-12-13, 04:21 PM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Bikes: 1982 Fuji Supreme, Specialized 2012 Roubaix Compact. 1981? Raleigh Reliant mixte, Velo Orange Campeur (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One: my marital status is none of your business unless I choose to make it so.
Shame you can't extend the same courtesy to others, such as making irrelevant comments about grammar and typos... Perhaps now you get the point of my post...
Old 07-12-13, 07:32 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there are paths that go through some questionable areas, but since access to guns is restricted here, there isn't much reason to carry one.
Old 07-12-13, 11:22 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Small gun If I had to carry , I would go ankle or fanny pac for a gun. I dont see why anyone needs to carry a gun while riding a bike, seems ultra paranoid to me. I have rode in and around Detroit most of my 60 years of life,,never had a problem. I ride cause it makes me feel young and playful , who needs a gun? Seems like asking for trouble. This comming from a guy that made a living for 5 years selling holsters, laser sights and night vision at gunshows.
Old 07-13-13, 07:09 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
Small gun If I had to carry , I would go ankle or fanny pac for a gun. I dont see why anyone needs to carry a gun while riding a bike, seems ultra paranoid to me. I have rode in and around Detroit most of my 60 years of life,,never had a problem. I ride cause it makes me feel young and playful , who needs a gun? Seems like asking for trouble. This comming from a guy that made a living for 5 years selling holsters, laser sights and night vision at gunshows.
Did you see the video above? I think in that case if the person had not been carrying the outcome would have been much worse... for him. I don't go looking for trouble either, but if it comes to me I am prepared for it.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 07-13-13, 07:39 AM
Condorita
Grammar Cop

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Shame you can't extend the same courtesy to others, such as making irrelevant comments about grammar and typos... Perhaps now you get the point of my post...
When the linguistic blunder--or is that utter incompetence?--is as egregious as misusing "calvary" when one means "cavalry," there is no courtesy deserved. You are beneath contempt.
Old 07-13-13, 07:52 AM
PlanoFuji
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When the linguistic blunder--or is that utter incompetence?--is as egregious as misusing "calvary" when one means "cavalry," there is no courtesy deserved. You are beneath contempt.
Miss Condorita:

It is my sincere hope that you someday find someone to bring some joy to your life, It seems clear from your behaviour that you are a very bitter person. In the interim maybe a bike ride would help?

P.S. Look up the auto complete feature and perhaps you might understand what you so eloquently describe as incompetence--but probably not...
Old 07-13-13, 07:18 PM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I open carry a 1911 in a Rosen OWB rig with a spare magazine on the weak side. It carries SURPRISINGLY well over my PI bibs and looks predictably stupid. It will conceal that way too depending on the size of the jersey but isn't as comfortable and is not particularly well concealed.

The reason I commented is because I was truly shocked to find out how comfortable it is. If you have a good belt rig give it a try before you do something different.
Old 07-14-13, 11:23 AM
Six jours

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by howeeee
I've never had a fire in my home. Guess I should remove the smoke detectors, eh? I don't want to be paranoid or asking for trouble...
Old 07-14-13, 12:05 PM
SpeshulEd 

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Six jours
I've never had a fire in my home. Guess I should remove the smoke detectors, eh? I don't want to be paranoid or asking for trouble...
This is a piss poor analogy. Smoke detectors help prevent you from burning in a fire, carrying a gun doesn't prevent violence.

I'm happy for the one guy that managed to escape death by pulling a gun on some hoodlums. What about all the other times where **** like this happened and the hoodlums pulled their own guns and shot the guy? I don't care if you want to carry a gun while you ride your bike, but don't pretend you're any safer because you have it and don't pretend you're some action hero going out to fight crime on your bike because you're not.

Old 07-14-13, 12:13 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I know lots of folks who carry concealed and they are not wannabe action heroes. They do it to protect themselves from **** that happens all around us. If given the choice between having a gun and not having a gun when the **** goes down, I would rather have a fighting chance. Not sure I understand why anyone would carry while riding, but I don't ride in "dangerous" areas.
Old 07-14-13, 12:25 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
This is a piss poor analogy. Smoke detectors help prevent you from burning in a fire, carrying a gun doesn't prevent violence.

I'm happy for the one guy that managed to escape death by pulling a gun on some hoodlums. What about all the other times where **** like this happened and the hoodlums pulled their own guns and shot the guy? I don't care if you want to carry a gun while you ride your bike, but don't pretend you're any safer because you have it and don't pretend you're some action hero going out to fight crime on your bike because you're not.
Well, if i have the chance, i would like to pull a zimmerman. The voices of the living always scream louder then the dead. I wouldn't want to beat some person so badly he loses 25% of his head, I would rather have him shot dead so I can spin my own explanation of what went down without interrruption.
Old 07-14-13, 12:27 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
It's ironic, I've lived on this earth for over 33 now and I've yet to need a gun to feel safe.

You guys must me paranoid.

Old 07-14-13, 12:32 PM
kenji666

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
It's ironic, I've lived on this earth for over 33 now and I've yet to need a gun to feel safe.

You guys must me paranoid.
Don't worry. We'll save you when you are peeing in your pants scared for your life.
Old 07-14-13, 12:34 PM
buffalowings

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What can I say, born a juggalo, die a juggalo. BTW, I've lived 67 years of my life with a .22 and a 9mm and a .45acp.
Old 07-14-13, 12:39 PM
SpeshulEd 

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
How can you be born a juggalo when ICP didn't even exist until the 90's? Honestly, bragging about being a juggalo is like bragging about your hemorrhoid. Not to mention, a true juggalo would carry a hatchet.

Anyway, this is silly, thanks for the offer to protect me, but I'm good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.