Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Platform or clipless, help me

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Platform or clipless, help me

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-18, 06:59 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I purchased these as I like options...
Attached Images
Old 03-21-18, 08:07 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
As for the bunny hopping, I don't notice a difference in the two but don't doubt clipless might be easier. I can do various obstructions logs/curbs etc either way and I assume I am using the same technique for both.
Bunny hopping...even giant ones... can be done without clipless but it requires a very different technique and much more finesse. Rather than pull up with your feet like you do with clipless, you need to bounce the bike and twist your hands forward on the handlebars to get the rear wheel off the ground. It helps to do the same with clipless but it's a lot less necessary to do so.

Without clipless, you are also just getting your feet out of the way so that the bike can bounce upward while with clipless you are drawing the bike up with you.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-21-18, 08:32 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Lol, I don't think I could bunny-hop even if I tried.
Old 03-21-18, 09:26 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Bunny hopping...even giant ones... can be done without clipless but it requires a very different technique and much more finesse. Rather than pull up with your feet like you do with clipless, you need to bounce the bike and twist your hands forward on the handlebars to get the rear wheel off the ground. It helps to do the same with clipless but it's a lot less necessary to do so.

Without clipless, you are also just getting your feet out of the way so that the bike can bounce upward while with clipless you are drawing the bike up with you.
I have never had an issue bunny hopping, and I have never had clipless pedals. In fact, I began bunny hopping with crappy smooth pedals when I was a kid. It is a non-issue.
Old 03-21-18, 09:26 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by NoControl
Lol, I don't think I could bunny-hop even if I tried.
You certainly can't if you don't try. On the other hand, it's a nice skill to have for lots of applications. You don't need to get massive air but it's handy for riding up a curb (lofting the rear wheel saves wear and tear) as well as riding down a curb (where lofting the wheel also saves wear and tear).

It also comes in handy if a pothole suddenly appears in front of you because you weren't watching where you were going. It's also extremely handy if you are "adventure" biking or off-road touring.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-21-18, 10:03 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got PD-T8000 pedals on most of my bikes. I really like em. There's a cheaper version without pins too, but those get pretty slick when wet.
Old 03-21-18, 12:03 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
You certainly can't if you don't try. On the other hand, it's a nice skill to have for lots of applications. You don't need to get massive air but it's handy for riding up a curb (lofting the rear wheel saves wear and tear) as well as riding down a curb (where lofting the wheel also saves wear and tear).

It also comes in handy if a pothole suddenly appears in front of you because you weren't watching where you were going. It's also extremely handy if you are "adventure" biking or off-road touring.
Looks like I need to start practicing. I'll bunny-hop while I'm bar-hopping!
Old 03-21-18, 11:12 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts

You can bunny hop with fully loaded front and rear panniers? Sir, I tip my hat to you
Old 03-22-18, 05:26 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 755 Times in 561 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
You can bunny hop with fully loaded front and rear panniers? Sir, I tip my hat to you
It really isn't that big of a deal unless we are talking about hopping real high. It helps to even just unweight the bike and even a tiny hop can make a huge difference in getting over a pot hole or other road hazard without damage.

IMO it is a skill that anyone who rides could learn.
Old 03-22-18, 08:00 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by staehpj1
It really isn't that big of a deal unless we are talking about hopping real high. It helps to even just unweight the bike and even a tiny hop can make a huge difference in getting over a pot hole or other road hazard without damage.

IMO it is a skill that anyone who rides could learn.
What he said

Watch a bunny hop some time. They really don't get much air. Now "hopping" like a American pronghorn or gazelle, that's an achievement!

Old 03-22-18, 12:23 PM
MiE

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I haven't don't my first tour yet, but I commute everyday about 16-17 miles and I use a pair of flats with plastic toe cages. You do miss some of the efficiency of clipless but still feel like your foot is secured to the peddle and can get a little pull up. I have seen some use material straps of some kind as well instead of the cages.
Old 03-22-18, 03:55 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
I congratulate you guys that can do your bunny hops to lift the bike, but when I ride on difficult terrain, I switch to the platform side of my M324 pedals and if I am going to be on difficult terrain all day I switch to my hiking shoes so that I do not accidentally clip in. There have been tooooooooo many times when I had close calls and had to get my feet on the ground really fast.

A couple years ago I busted my GPS mount when I could not get unclipped fast enough when the front wheel hit a soft spot and dug in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP3370.JPG (345.1 KB, 121 views)
20IMGP2758.JPG (283.3 KB, 122 views)
Old 03-22-18, 04:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
That's some scenery! Where is that?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-22-18, 04:47 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I congratulate you guys that can do your bunny hops to lift the bike, but when I ride on difficult terrain, I switch to the platform side of my M324 pedals and if I am going to be on difficult terrain all day I switch to my hiking shoes so that I do not accidentally clip in. There have been tooooooooo many times when I had close calls and had to get my feet on the ground really fast.

A couple years ago I busted my GPS mount when I could not get unclipped fast enough when the front wheel hit a soft spot and dug in.
I mountain bike in clipless and have for most of 30 years. I've never been in a situation off-road where my feet didn't come out of the pedals quickly enough to make me crash. That includes abrupt stops on uphills when the wheel catches a rock or root.

On the other hand, I'd rather fall while clipped in than try to stick my leg out to "catch" myself in the middle of a crash. I've tried to catch myself in the past and only ended up with worse injuries than if I'd just stayed clipped and let the bike take the fall.

Front suspension goes a long way towards keeping your wheel from digging into soft spots. My primary use of front suspension isn't for comfort but for the enhanced control it offers. Rather than just digging in and having the wheel bog down, front suspension allows the wheel to grab the edges of the soft spots and climb out. I've done my time on rigid bikes and I'm way past that. If I'm going to tour on roads like the ones in your pictures (and I've ridden many of them), I'm doing it on either my Dean or my Moots. I've done some on my Moots but, due to ill tempered fairy, I've not been able to take too many pictures of off-road touring. I either forget batteries or I lose my camera

Old 03-22-18, 06:47 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
That's some scenery! Where is that?
Interior roads of Iceland.

Road was much more passable for this photo.
Attached Images
20IMGP2845.JPG (294.2 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 03-22-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-23-18, 02:32 AM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN

These roads might be a “trigger” starting another I love kick stands I don’t thread.
Old 03-23-18, 11:14 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy
For years I was a platform-only guy on my road bike mostly due to knee surgeries and fear of being clipped in and retearing something. For the past 7-8 years my knees have been great so I tried clipless ... and would never go back. Platforms are comfy when out cruising (I still wear them when out with the kids) but between foot fatigue from soft soles (when grinding up hills or going hard) and the lack of really being able pull down through and back up the back side of the pedal stroke, I really felt a big difference in efficiency.

If it were me, I’d look into modern platform / clipless combo pedals. Some of them have rally big wide platforms.
I won't argue that I 'feel' more efficient with SPD's....but it's a common myth that clipless helps people "pull up" resulting in better performance/efficiency/etc.

It can help at the top to kick over and bottom to scrape and to hold your foot in a proper position through the pedal stroke...thats about it. In reality, flat pedals offer 98% of the performance of clips once you are used to them.
Old 03-23-18, 11:33 AM
nickw

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think what most people miss on that video is the bit at the end (around 7:15). The test they ran was one test at a steady state. Simon states that he's not going to give up his clipless because he does pull up on the pedals during hard efforts. This is something that I have noticed as well. Even on a touring bike, there are times when I have to pull up on the pedals to get a little more boost. Out of saddle efforts if nothing other than to stretch out muscles is much easier if your feet are attached to the pedals.

Off-road, clipless offer more security because your feet are attached to the pedals and are less likely to slip off. Additionally, as Simon said in the video, it's much easier to bunny hop while clipped in. Even if you are just lofting the rear wheel over a rock, clipless makes it much, much easier.
Careful.

Sam Hill still uses flat pedals, granted he's on of the few, but rides the most technical gnarly terrain out there and is the top rider in the WORLD:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/sam-hi...-ews-2017.html

Using clips for bunnyhoping is a crutch, absolutely not needed. I can clean the same obstacles just as easy with flats without question. No top trials riders, or 'street' BMX guys use clips, they are the bunnyhop kings...

This is coming from a guy who races XC MTB and Cyclocross with clips and wouldn't have it any other way, I still feel more efficient with them for racing.
Old 03-23-18, 12:25 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Speedplay Frog pedals are excellent, I've used them almost exclusively on all my bikes since ~2003.

In 2010 I tried some Power Grips pedal straps for a short time - basically a soft version of the toe clip. These would probably work well for a lot of bicyclists (combined with a similar Wellgo pedal). They are harder to get in to, but easier to get out of, compared to toe clips.

In 2016 I tried some Wellgo MG-1 pedals. Compared to Frogs there was only one advantage to this platform pedal (semi-universal shoe compatibility), and a few disadvantages - 100g heavier per pair, plus foot locked into position by combination of pedal tread pins and shoe sole, whereas Frogs allowed effortless lateral rotation. I changed back to Frog pedals after a few short trials. I may try these again when I'm more willing to experiment with pin placement and compatibility with various shoe soles.

Good clipless pedal systems are hard to beat. Bike shoes designed for use with clipless pedals have stiffer soles than "street" shoes, so less energy expended flexing a shoe sole, instead going towards pedaling effort. Street shoes and platform pedals are more likely to result in pressure "hot spots" on soles of feet.

https://www.bikeforums.net/19906961-post11.html
Old 03-23-18, 12:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
I won't argue that I 'feel' more efficient with SPD's....but it's a common myth that clipless helps people "pull up" resulting in better performance/efficiency/etc.

That myth will be exploded soon when pro racers start winning races in flats. Just you wait and see.

(I'm sitting back and watching. This will happen in my lifetime, won't it? I'm only 64.)

Today's race, the E3 Harelbeke in Belgium was a race where the advantages of flats would have proved huge. The winner spent the last 70 km in the wind with one other rider. He won by seconds. With flats and the gain of efficiency, that would have been minutes.

Ben
Old 03-23-18, 12:55 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw

It can help at the top to kick over and bottom to scrape and to hold your foot in a proper position through the pedal stroke...thats about it. In reality, flat pedals offer 98% of the performance of clips once you are used to them.
Sorry I have to disagree. With clipless there is the option of switching to pulling instead of pushing the pedal, and this engages some different muscle groups, while offering a bit of rest to others. For me, it also changes forces against the foot which gives a bit of rest to areas of the foot being stressed. Heck, you can even unclip one foot, let it hang down off the pedal and pedal with the other if you wish!
Engaging some muscle groups while allowing rest in others by changing how you push or pull the pedal can indeed increase efficiency IMO. There is a reason toe clips came about in the first place and advent of "clipless" pedals.
But I suppose we would have to define "efficient" as it applies to touring. Does it mean faster? Longer distance? Less fatigue? Just easier? Seems easier at least, to me.
I do NOT believe "efficiency" means bunny hopping! nor do I believe that was the intent of the OP's question.

At the end of the day, for touring where one is typically riding moderate to long distances at relatively slow pace, I doubt there's much difference between the two, all things being equal. But regardless, everyone has to decide what they want, like, and what works best for them.
Old 03-23-18, 12:59 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotGuy

I tried clipless ... and would never go back.
This
Old 03-23-18, 01:04 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Sorry I have to disagree. With clipless there is the option of switching to pulling instead of pushing the pedal, and this engages some different muscle groups, while offering a bit of rest to others. For me, it also changes forces against the foot which gives a bit of rest to areas of the foot being stressed. Heck, you can even unclip one foot, let it hang down off the pedal and pedal with the other if you wish!

Engaging some muscle groups while allowing rest in others by changing how you push or pull the pedal can indeed increase efficiency IMO. There is a reason toe clips came about in the first place and advent of "clipless" pedals.

+1! Something I have been doing both conciously and unconciously for more than 40 years. I've nursed my knees (lifelong chrondromalicia) many times "deleting" the dwonstroke for miles at a time. Made a point of doing more pullng than neccessary in the early, easier miles of races to have more of the big muscles at crunch-time.

Ben
Old 03-23-18, 01:17 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is something that I have noticed as well. Even on a touring bike, there are times when I have to pull up on the pedals to get a little more boost.
More than that, I've noticed sometimes that my average pushing vector varies based on certain factors. Usually, when just starting up a steep hill but not getting out of the saddle, I'm pedaling a bit more forward than down. I've been playing with it as a way to vary the load between muscle groups, and it seems to work, but I haven't had the good weather and time off to play with it on a loaded, most-of-the-day ride lately.

For my primary pedals, I like these: https://blueskycycling.com/products/...bearing-pedals
I can feel the mechanism when riding them in thin/soft soled shoes, but at least for a few miles around town, it doesn't bother me a bit.
Old 03-23-18, 02:33 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
I do NOT believe "efficiency" means bunny hopping! nor do I believe that was the intent of the OP's question.
Dontcha love how a topic can go so far off on a tangent? Bunny hopping on a loaded touring bike!

I've been using clipless for almost 15 years now, but just wondering how flats work for folks day in-day out on a loaded touring bike. And if using flats, do you wear "regular" shoes or cycling specific shoes. I am considering getting flats just for the ability to wear whatever shoe I want. Thanks for all the comments so far, tho!

Last edited by dannwilliams; 03-23-18 at 02:43 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.