Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Salsa Marrakesh

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Salsa Marrakesh

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 08:30 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Salsa Marrakesh

Looks like Salsa is discounting the Marrakesh. On the website they are marked down to $1199 from $1599, 25% off. I had hoped to win one of the ACA limited editions a couple years back, but unfortunately didn't. Might be time for me to make a Christmas gift purchase, ;-)
Old 12-13-17, 12:08 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Salsa has had half of the Marrakesh framesets (1 drop, 1 flat) marked down 30% for over a year. Call Salsa if you want a more definitive answer to your question, but treat that information with caution. A Salsa rep told me at least a year ago that Vaya was being discontinued.
Old 02-20-18, 12:30 AM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
Looks like Salsa is discounting the Marrakesh. On the website they are marked down to $1199 from $1599, 25% off. I had hoped to win one of the ACA limited editions a couple years back, but unfortunately didn't. Might be time for me to make a Christmas gift purchase, ;-)
Hmm... Looking on the Salsa site, I think you might be mistaken.

There are three different versions on the site: 2 drop bar versions and 1 flat bar version. The the two drop bar versions are $1199 and $1499. The more expensive version has a few nicer specs (brakes and tires), but otherwise they look very similar, so I would hazard to guess the more expensive one is the newer model.

I don't see anything indicating the Marrakesh has been discontinued.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/marrak...deore_drop_bar
Old 02-20-18, 05:12 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Hmm... Looking on the Salsa site, I think you might be mistaken.

There are three different versions on the site: 2 drop bar versions and 1 flat bar version. The the two drop bar versions are $1199 and $1499. The more expensive version has a few nicer specs (brakes and tires), but otherwise they look very similar, so I would hazard to guess the more expensive one is the newer model.

I don't see anything indicating the Marrakesh has been discontinued.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/marrak...deore_drop_bar
Website is now updated with this years model. $100 less than last years model, too! I was in my lbs last week and put my money down on this years model. I was hoping to grab a leftover ACA model but they wer sold out, as were the Vaya’s. So a new blue model will be doing my summer trip.
Old 02-21-18, 12:08 AM
AlanK

Website is now updated with this years model. $100 less than last years model, too! I was in my lbs last week and put my money down on this years model. I was hoping to grab a leftover ACA model but they wer sold out, as were the Vaya’s. So a new blue model will be doing my summer trip.
Yeah, it looks great. My only minor gripe are the monstrously wide tires: Imo, 42mm is just too wide for a combination of paved and dirt roads.

Fortunately tires are easy and fairly inexpensive to replace.
Old 02-21-18, 05:28 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Yeah, it looks great. My only minor gripe are the monstrously wide tires: Imo, 42mm is just too wide for a combination of paved and dirt roads.

Fortunately tires are easy and fairly inexpensive to replace.
Indeed they are. I am planning to use this bike to check out the gravel riding that so many around here are raving about, and the wide tires should perform well in that role. And when they wear out, I may size down to a 35 like I used on my last touring bike. Gonna sell the Brooks saddle and stay with my Fizik that I love so well. Can’t wait for the first ride on it!
Old 02-21-18, 06:00 PM
vlicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wonder why they decided to put on the 42mm tires. I got my Marrakesh on Thanksgiving of 2016. It came with 700x38s. I found them to be plenty wide for any gravel type riding I've done. Im thinking of getting 35s for general pavement touring. Good luck on your purchase. You won't regret it, and that new color looks pretty sweet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1364.JPG (1,008.7 KB, 453 views)
Old 02-21-18, 07:58 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vlicon
I wonder why they decided to put on the 42mm tires. I got my Marrakesh on Thanksgiving of 2016. It came with 700x38s. I found them to be plenty wide for any gravel type riding I've done. Im thinking of getting 35s for general pavement touring. Good luck on your purchase. You won't regret it, and that new color looks pretty sweet.
Last year it had 40mm tires. Going wider is all the rage I guess. Nice setup, btw!
Old 02-21-18, 11:49 PM
AlanK

A few years ago I was commuting on a cyclocross with stock 700x32 tires, which I actually found to be a bit narrow for anything but pavement. After they wore out I wanted to replace them with 35mm, but my lbs only had 38mm. The 38mm were OK, but a bit wide for commuting.

I agree with you: For a combination of pavement and gravel/dirt 38mm is about ideal. 42mm is getting into mtb width, which is overkill for most types touring.
Old 03-04-18, 08:42 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Pulled the trigger and bought the new Marrekesh drop bar. A hundred lass than last years model in a bright beautiful blue. Since I sold the panniers with the old LHT a couple years ago, I will be needing a set of those yet. Right now the plan is the west coast of Michigan in early June. Will be my first trip since the "Field of Dreams" trip of 3 or 4 years ago. Will be doing the ACA Bike Travel Weekend for a shakedown warmup the first weekend of June. This is my ride, anyone is free to join me: https://www.adventurecycling.org/res...Overnight=2028
Old 03-07-18, 09:28 AM
Mikarad

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a marrekesh with shwalbe marathon plus 700-40's and absolutely love them(very heavy though). also picked up a set of Clement MSO x'plor 700-40's for winter riding here in rural ontario. Road or pavement it doesn't matter, i can go as fast as i need/want to. The Clement tires are light and roll fast at high pressure. I have no issue riding with others to keep up. The shwalbe tires are very heavy but they are very robust, and also at high pressure they roll very well. i have even rode on wood chip paths with them. Will use the Shwalbe's when riding with the panniers. also depending on your physical size, bike loaded or not a larger tire at the right pressure will have a smaller contact patch than a small tire. Less prone to flatting as well. That's my two cents.
Old 03-22-18, 07:32 AM
capper66

Bikes: 2007 Trek 4500 ; 2015 Norco Sight C 7.3 ; 2016 Giant Escape 2 City ; 2017 Fuji Touring ; 2018 Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took delivery

Wife and I picked up our 2018 Marrakesh drop-bars last weekend. Wife likes the 42mm tires, I’m still undecided. Will likely swap the tires before the first pannier trip. Having a hard time finding fenders for them. Swapped the factory rear racks for Surly Rears, adding a Surly front to mine and will soon do the same for the wife’s.

The bikes are only available in 2018 in a deep blue. In fact the entire bike is blue. The wraps are blue and the B17 is blue.

Still a fantastic bike.
Old 03-23-18, 08:39 AM
capper66

Bikes: 2007 Trek 4500 ; 2015 Norco Sight C 7.3 ; 2016 Giant Escape 2 City ; 2017 Fuji Touring ; 2018 Salsa Marrakesh

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
PVC for tent poles?

Vlicon,
Notice the PVC 'pipe' on the rear rack. Is that for your tent poles? Sketched out the same thing earlier this week to build over the next couple of weeks. Any tips?
I notice you glued the ends on and used a male threaded plug for access. I was thinking about loose ends and a safely cotter pin mechanism. How do you keep the contents from rattling or are things tight enough in the pipe? I was thinking 'no pole sack' ... do you still keep the poles in their bag?
Old 03-23-18, 08:57 AM
vlicon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The tent poles fit inside the Panniers. The black tube is holding my fly rod. I've been looking all over for an aluminum tube, which wold be much lighter. But can't find one anywhere.
Old 03-24-18, 05:57 PM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I've been looking all over for an aluminum tube, which wold be much lighter. But can't find one anywhere.
Have you tried The Metal Supermarket?
Old 03-30-18, 09:20 AM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
A drawing telescoping tube made out of plastic will surely be lighter. Once you pick the length, you can weatherproof the telescoping connection.

This one from Office Depot, I am sure you can find cheaper ones.

https://www.officedepot.com/a/produc...opic-Art-Tube/
Old 04-02-18, 01:58 PM
rpg5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question for all of you Marrakesh owners, I want to buy a touring style bike to use as an all around bike with an upright riding position (for a drop bar bike) that will be used in a hilly area (White Mountains). My question is, would this bike be overkill for 2-3 hour rides with the occasional tour thrown in the mix? I love the wide gear range due to the hills and upright riding position due to back injury. The price isn't bad either.

I don't want a full on road bike and my rides are not going to be super sprints. I was also thinking of the Sutra and Space Horse (can't demo either one of these).

Thanks!
Old 04-02-18, 03:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Vaya another Salsa model to look at ... comes from same source as Surly..
Old 04-02-18, 04:37 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Marin 4 Corners
https://www.marinbikes.com/bikes/four-corners
[/URL]

Last edited by pakeboi; 04-02-18 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 07:58 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Vaya another Salsa model to look at ... comes from same source as Surly..
I think the Vaya has been replaced by the Journeyman. I was actually in the shop, planning on getting the Vaya, and it was completely out of stock. Then the Journeyman came out a couple weeks later. I might be wrong.
Old 04-02-18, 08:02 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rpg5
Question for all of you Marrakesh owners, I want to buy a touring style bike to use as an all around bike with an upright riding position (for a drop bar bike) that will be used in a hilly area (White Mountains). My question is, would this bike be overkill for 2-3 hour rides with the occasional tour thrown in the mix? I love the wide gear range due to the hills and upright riding position due to back injury. The price isn't bad either.

I don't want a full on road bike and my rides are not going to be super sprints. I was also thinking of the Sutra and Space Horse (can't demo either one of these).

Thanks!
The Marrakesh is a stout, heavy bike. It is made for carrying a load. BUT, the alternator dropouts on the rear makes it versatile, with the wheel forward, it will handle quite well, with it all the way back, it will be very stable and sure footed, great for fully loaded. The wheels are also very robust, perhaps a second set that is lighter and running a smaller (700x32?) tire would make it a fun bike to ride unloaded.
Old 04-03-18, 09:39 AM
rpg5

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Not really a fan of the low slung Vaya or Marin. I like the All City Space Horse, just don't have a shop in NH that has any for fitting. I teeter between a 52 and 55. I can try out the Marrakesh which is a bonus.
Old 04-10-18, 06:34 PM
Mikarad

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got the marrakesh. Looked at the Vaya as well as the Kona Sutra. The Sutra stand over height for my shortish legs was too high. I didn't like the fit or ride of the vaya. The Marrakesh is not a light bike but it is a very solid bike and it climbs very well. i currently commute on it but i'm planning a 7 day tour in june. I got a 57cm which id=s a touch big but it allowed me to lower the seat a bit and raise the stem with an adjustable stem to give me a bit more upright position. I really like this bike
Old 04-10-18, 09:39 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think the Vaya has been replaced by the Journeyman. I was actually in the shop, planning on getting the Vaya, and it was completely out of stock. Then the Journeyman came out a couple weeks later. I might be wrong.
I believe this is just a coincidence. The Vaya is one of their best sellers. I really doubt they would discontinue it for an aluminum bike.
Old 04-11-18, 04:15 AM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
I believe this is just a coincidence. The Vaya is one of their best sellers. I really doubt they would discontinue it for an aluminum bike.
El Mariachi-Timberjack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.