Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Ketogenic "Keto" Diet?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-18, 07:01 PM
KeithTrentonFL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This topic brought me here..

To be completely honest, as the title says, this topic (through a Google Search I'm not even sure what it was at this point) is what brought me to this website.
I weigh 396 lb and I am starting the keto diet ,as far as I can understand it,tomorrow and biking is going to be my main form of exercise until I lose enough fat to be able to do anything else. Even walking more than 10-15mins at a time causes my back to begin yelling at me. So I started scouring the web for info about The Keto Diet and bought a used bike from a local bike shop that the Bikeman days will be able to withstand my weight as long as I keep it cool ("No jumping and no off roading.") and bring it in for check ups and adjustments regularly. Which he said he'd do for free unless something needed replacing.
Very cool.
Okay, that being out on the table. Any bits of wisdom or learned knowledge you can pass on to the newbie will be greatly appreciated, about Keto and/or biking.
Seeing a topic come up in a Google search about someone who was once my size and has achieved such great progress says to me I'm on the right track.
Congratulations to you on your continued victory in health.
YOU are a great inspiration to me.
Thank you,
Keith
Old 04-08-18, 09:17 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
In this position diet is much more important than exercise. In fact, Lyle's book recommends just focusing on the diet. Keto is a great way to make big changes in a short span of time but it is tough, especially during the first week or so.

I recommend you have a clear and present realistic goal (i.,e., how much you expect to lose and in what period of time), and tell as many people as possible about your diet. Also, it helps to chart your progress if you before/during photos.

Despite popular opinion, I'd stay away from the scale everyday, and instead, just use the mirror. Its really is a much better judge of progress in the end. Good luck.
Originally Posted by Jarrett2
A huge intake of sugar will have weird effects once you break the addiction. The keto diet is a little different than other diets because cheat days aren't rewarding. When you decide to fall off the wagon and go crazy on the carbs, you usually have a less positive experience than you're hoping for. Seems to be different for everyone.
That's because you don't "go crazy". Rather, you anticipate the carbs as a reward (for all your hard work and willpower), but you still eat sensibly.

But the positives outweigh the negatives for me. I went on a road trip this past weekend and stayed on plan. I did a 46 mile ride with a lot of climbing, then came back in the afternoon and did a 6 mile hike with a ton of climbing. Got up the next morning and did 25 more miles on the bike, followed by another 3 mile walk. All on low carb intake.

When I was sugar burning, I would have needed to eat glucose gel packs to do that much activity over two days, but now that I'm fat adapted, I don't need excessive amounts of carbs to do that level of aerobic activity anymore. My energy stays consistent throughout. Much preferred the the ups and downs of the old sugar cycle.
No, you do not -- as you've already figured out. However, they are still the preferred fuel when engaged in aerobic activity due to their quick absorption and fast burning nature. They are simply more efficient. Which is why the keto diet is not really the best choice when you wish to engaged in aerobic exercise. Carbs are also a lot cheaper. A whole lot cheaper!

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-08-18 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 06:29 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithTrentonFL
To be completely honest, as the title says, this topic (through a Google Search I'm not even sure what it was at this point) is what brought me to this website.
I weigh 396 lb and I am starting the keto diet ,as far as I can understand it,tomorrow and biking is going to be my main form of exercise until I lose enough fat to be able to do anything else. Even walking more than 10-15mins at a time causes my back to begin yelling at me. So I started scouring the web for info about The Keto Diet and bought a used bike from a local bike shop that the Bikeman days will be able to withstand my weight as long as I keep it cool ("No jumping and no off roading.") and bring it in for check ups and adjustments regularly. Which he said he'd do for free unless something needed replacing.
Very cool.
Okay, that being out on the table. Any bits of wisdom or learned knowledge you can pass on to the newbie will be greatly appreciated, about Keto and/or biking.
Seeing a topic come up in a Google search about someone who was once my size and has achieved such great progress says to me I'm on the right track.
Congratulations to you on your continued victory in health.
YOU are a great inspiration to me.
Thank you,
Keith
Congrats on the decision to make a change.

I started off at 405 lbs and have lost 140 lbs and have kept it off for 5 years. My experience and advice is sort of the opposite of the poster above. I eat very low carb and have no problem with aerobic activity, lots of it. Many competitive athletes do the keto diet to improve their performance. I also suggest weighing every day and tracking your caloric intake via an app like MyFitnessPal. You can also use that same app to track your carb intake to make sure you keep your carb grams low.

I would hold off on any exercise for a while and get let your body make the metabolic shift from sugar burner to fat burner. That process kinda sucks, no reason to beat yourself up with exercise during it. Then once you get settled in fat burning more and feel your energy levels start to rise, then start slowly introducing cycling into the mix. You don't have to go hard or fast on the bike, just ease into it. You don't want to ride so hard at first that you drastically increase your appetite. Then as you go, you'll find a balance between exercise and hunger that allows you to be healthy and continue weight loss. Good luck.
Old 04-09-18, 06:47 AM
CMBravo

Bikes: Fuji Altamira 1.3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was 277 lbs ,in Aug 2016 was diagnosed T2 diabetic.a very nice endocrinologist suggested I try KETO. Fast forward ,now at 65 am 204 lbs. I ride 2-3 times pr wk avg 30 mile. DIET Doctor and Dr Jason Fung websites helped a lot. can't say am a disciplined person,but I have managed to give up all sugar,bread,rice,potatoes,sodas,and got into a more vegie,protein fat diet. till have 2-3 glasses of wine just about every day. don't know if I can give that up! I gave up pizza
Old 04-10-18, 06:21 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
No, you do not -- as you've already figured out. However, they are still the preferred fuel when engaged in aerobic activity due to their quick absorption and fast burning nature. They are simply more efficient. Which is why the keto diet is not really the best choice when you wish to engaged in aerobic exercise. Carbs are also a lot cheaper. A whole lot cheaper!
https://realmealrevolution.com/real-...g-diet-sports/

TLDR: fueling from your fat reserves sometimes doesn't happen quickly enough to sustain performance, so sometimes on low carb diets/lifestyles it is necessary to supplement fueling for intense exercise with quickly metabolised carbs.

I became engaged in a fueling and low carb/keto discussion a couple of days ago and came across the above link. Now I concentrate most of my efforts towards track sprint cycling. When I do go on a road ride of 1.5-2hrs, the intensity is low and so low carb gives me no hassles with being fueled for the ride. Lately in the gym I have increasd my workload on my upper body. I superset upper and lower body exercises to sandwich a decent workout into my work lunch break. Since increasing the upper body work, I am getting smashed by the workout, and this seems to be the answer. I just need a carb top up to keep things happening how I want them to
Old 04-11-18, 12:45 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I'm going down the rabbit hole.

I have an appt. With my doctor tomorrow to discuss this diet. Taking my wife with me too. I've bought a couple books and read through them, been reading a few websites too. Some members here have pointed me to the right areas to get started.
I have to see the doctor because I am on heart/high blood pressure meds and meds for type 2 diabetes.
I've already started monkeying around with the life style change this week and have seen my blood Sugars dip below normal more so than not. So there is a sign already that this will be a better way for me and maybe I can throw away some of these damn pills.
From my reading, it has surprised me about our culture of low fat and too many carbs. And I can see the connection of that diet to my current state. Kinda pisses me off.

I may start a new thread about my progress when I really get the ball rolling. My wife and I are both going to follow this diet and by the end of the weekend, I'll have my starting stats.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this to light to me. I'd never heard of it until this thread showed up.
Old 04-22-18, 06:31 AM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I am now down 152 lbs, and officially can ride my Trek Domane that has a 275 lb weight limit. Starting from well over 400 lbs this has been a goal for a long time.

I am still lifting and doing Keto & IF and although my strength gains are very small lifting heavy is still possible. I do compound lifting and cardio is as good as it has ever been.

I can even do great rides and cardio on long fasts. I do believe your body can use fat for energy, no other way to explain it.

I do eat a cheeseburger and fries about once a month but this is very planned out. I do a 24 hour fast, end it with burger and fries and then another fast with lots of cardio in that 24 hours. I test my blood ketones and still in ketosis.

Not sure how important the fasting is, but I do this to keep from falling out of ketosis. Like someone told me, get the fire hot enough 1 meal won't kick you out.
Old 04-22-18, 12:58 PM
KraneXL

Well the intermittent fasting (IF) is certainly a prudent direction with proven results which I wholeheartedly support. However, I woulnd't do any cardio (except low intensity) in a fasted state. Although the logic behind continued cardio may appear sounds, the final result is that it typically does more harm than good.
Old 04-22-18, 05:17 PM
Oneder
Banned.

Bikes: Wahoo of Theseus, others

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 46 Posts
Cutting carbs is always good for weight, even if you don't go onto this kind of diet.

Keto works best if you burn a lot of calories though, the whole point is that it will force your body to burn fat. So keto plus long endurance slogs is probably the way to go for weight loss.
Old 04-22-18, 08:47 PM
KeithTrentonFL

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In this position diet is much more important than exercise. In fact, Lyle's book recommends just focusing on the diet. Keto is a great way to make big changes in a short span of time but it is tough, especially during the first week or so.

I recommend you have a clear and present realistic goal (i.,e., how much you expect to lose and in what period of time), and tell as many people as possible about your diet. Also, it helps to chart your progress if you before/during photos.

Despite popular opinion, I'd stay away from the scale everyday, and instead, just use the mirror. Its really is a much better judge of progress in the end. Good luck.That's because you don't "go crazy". Rather, you anticipate the carbs as a reward (for all your hard work and willpower), but you still eat sensibly.No, you do not -- as you've already figured out. However, they are still the preferred fuel when engaged in aerobic activity due to their quick absorption and fast burning nature. They are simply more efficient. Which is why the keto diet is not really the best choice when you wish to engaged in aerobic exercise. Carbs are also a lot cheaper. A whole lot cheaper!
Hey Keane, I've looked but I can't figure out which "Lyle" book you are referring to.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Not doing to good so far, I keep popping tubes. 😡😡
Old 04-22-18, 10:06 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by KeithTrentonFL
Hey Keane, I've looked but I can't figure out which "Lyle" book you are referring to.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. Not doing to good so far, I keep popping tubes. 😡😡
Lyle McDonald Rapid Fat Loss

Old 04-23-18, 06:59 AM
CMBravo

Bikes: Fuji Altamira 1.3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keto routines

Originally Posted by dkyser
I am now down 152 lbs, and officially can ride my Trek Domane that has a 275 lb weight limit. Starting from well over 400 lbs this has been a goal for a long time.

I am still lifting and doing Keto & IF and although my strength gains are very small lifting heavy is still possible. I do compound lifting and cardio is as good as it has ever been.

I can even do great rides and cardio on long fasts. I do believe your body can use fat for energy, no other way to explain it.

I do eat a cheeseburger and fries about once a month but this is very planned out. I do a 24 hour fast, end it with burger and fries and then another fast with lots of cardio in that 24 hours. I test my blood ketones and still in ketosis.

Not sure how important the fasting is, but I do this to keep from falling out of ketosis. Like someone told me, get the fire hot enough 1 meal won't kick you out.
I wonder if you had some months in your weight loss where you where stock in a range? I loss 72 pounds since Aug of 2016. Now 205 but stuck there for 2-3 mths. I eat mostly once a day. no breakfast .A good meal around 2-3 in the afternoon. in the evening sometimes cheese ,nuts or soups. I ride 2-3 times a week 20-25 miles avg 15mph.Would like to reach 175 lbs but feel stuck .Reading your post ,I get impression I should be going to gym .
I have noticed lower abs are showing some sagging from weight loss. Must add ,I admire what you have done!
Old 04-23-18, 11:04 AM
deftone

Bikes: P.O.S

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been on Keto since the end of last year and so far have dropped 76lbs. Its tough at first but once you get into some kind of routine its pretty easy. I only eat once per day so I get to eat a decent sized meal which keeps me happy.

I have noticed many benefits such as sleeping waaay better and more energy when riding. My resting heart rate also dropped 20 BPM which I assume is a combination of the weight loss and lack of sugars.
Old 04-23-18, 03:35 PM
KraneXL

Just to be clear, its not how many meals you eat, rather, the total number of cal/day and the type of macro-nutrients you consume. It is easily possible to snack your way to obesity.

Originally Posted by deftone
I have noticed many benefits such as sleeping waaay better and more energy when riding. My resting heart rate also dropped 20 BPM which I assume is a combination of the weight loss and lack of sugars.
Now that would be a direct result of your cycling.
Old 04-23-18, 08:42 PM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CMBravo
I wonder if you had some months in your weight loss where you where stock in a range? I loss 72 pounds since Aug of 2016. Now 205 but stuck there for 2-3 mths. I eat mostly once a day. no breakfast .A good meal around 2-3 in the afternoon. in the evening sometimes cheese ,nuts or soups. I ride 2-3 times a week 20-25 miles avg 15mph.Would like to reach 175 lbs but feel stuck .Reading your post ,I get impression I should be going to gym .
I have noticed lower abs are showing some sagging from weight loss. Must add ,I admire what you have done!
I have had many stalls, and actually, go through periods where I gain. When lifting heavy I get very hungry and make sure I hit my protein macros. I will often gain 5 lbs in a week and then lose it over the weekend. This may go on all month long and eventually drop a few lbs and keep it there. I have to look at a month in review and see I did lose.

I feel so much better and can feel a difference in my body composition and know I am gaining muscle and losing fat.
Once I got to the 275 weight limit of my dream bike, I decided to be OK with that weight as I increase my lifting. Right now I am fluctuating between 269 and 275. After a week or two if I stay here will make adjustments to drop some weight then repeat the process.
Old 04-26-18, 09:20 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm not doing Keto, but am doing low-carb and closely monitoring my caloric intake. It's working for me and so far I've lost the 10 lbs. I put on over the holidays when I stopped watching what I eat. I'm back down to where I was before (50 lbs. down from my heaviest) when I started going low carb but plateaued. But I wasn't closely watching calories then, which I am now. So I hope to get from 230 down to 200 or so.

I've heard some people say that they still eat anything they want, but just limit their calories. That may work for them but it seems like every time I eat sugar, my weight either stalls or goes up. Plus more protein and fat calories and less sugar calories means I get less hungry as the day goes on.
Old 04-26-18, 05:33 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm not doing Keto, but am doing low-carb and closely monitoring my caloric intake. It's working for me and so far I've lost the 10 lbs. I put on over the holidays when I stopped watching what I eat. I'm back down to where I was before (50 lbs. down from my heaviest) when I started going low carb but plateaued. But I wasn't closely watching calories then, which I am now. So I hope to get from 230 down to 200 or so.
Well we don't know what your height is so that could be a little or a lot. I've managed to get rid of my gut but I still have that stubborn layer of subcutaneous fat holding on that won't let go. Just cut my carb in half again and we'll see how it goes in 8 weeks.

I've heard some people say that they still eat anything they want, but just limit their calories. That may work for them but it seems like every time I eat sugar, my weight either stalls or goes up. Plus more protein and fat calories and less sugar calories means I get less hungry as the day goes on.
That's because hormones is key. So despite the popular phrase, "a calorie is a calorie." Its not just a matter of how much you eat, but also what you eat as well.
Old 04-27-18, 09:07 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Well we don't know what your height is so that could be a little or a lot. .
I'm 6 ft. At my heaviest I was 280, now down to 231 as of this morning. I can see my weight loss in the mirror from just a couple months ago when I was up to 240-245 or so. Like I said, 230 was where I stalled out before, but I'm working hard to get down into the 220's. Even if I don't make it to 200, I'll be happy if I can get rid of most of what's left of my gut and my moobs.

According to BMI, I would have to get down to 184 in order to be classified as normal weight and not overweight. I don't foresee that ever happening because I have a big frame. I don't think I've been 184 since I was 19 or so.
Old 04-27-18, 11:50 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Well the intermittent fasting (IF) is certainly a prudent direction with proven results which I wholeheartedly support. However, I woulnd't do any cardio (except low intensity) in a fasted state. Although the logic behind continued cardio may appear sounds, the final result is that it typically does more harm than good.
??? I run 4-5 times a week in a fasted state, typically 1 hour minimums, all year long. Just what 'more harm' are you referring too?
Old 04-27-18, 04:06 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
??? I run 4-5 times a week in a fasted state, typically 1 hour minimums, all year long. Just what 'more harm' are you referring too?
Just because you can do something doesn't mean its always a good thing. Despite the seeming logic behind the process, aerobic exercise is more efficient performed in a non-fasted state.
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm 6 ft. At my heaviest I was 280, now down to 231 as of this morning. I can see my weight loss in the mirror from just a couple months ago when I was up to 240-245 or so. Like I said, 230 was where I stalled out before, but I'm working hard to get down into the 220's. Even if I don't make it to 200, I'll be happy if I can get rid of most of what's left of my gut and my moobs.

According to BMI, I would have to get down to 184 in order to be classified as normal weight and not overweight. I don't foresee that ever happening because I have a big frame. I don't think I've been 184 since I was 19 or so.
Well if it means anything to you, I'm 6'4 and I've been as high as 250, and presently 190 so anythings possible if that's really what you want. Good luck.
Old 04-27-18, 04:21 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Just because you can do something doesn't mean its always a good thing. Despite the seeming logic behind the process, aerobic exercise is more efficient performed in a non-fasted state. .
Who says? My running has always been more efficient on an empty stomach, same for cross-fit & HIIT. It seems similar for other runners I've seen post on ******. Just where is your information coming from?

Before doing a really tough work-out, or one I am just mentally hesitant to do, I may need some sugar, (Stinger gummies) -- but food in the digestive system? Never.
Old 04-27-18, 04:43 PM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Ok, so far I have been able to drop one med altogether, Cut back on a couple others. And have lost 22lbs since starting the Keto Diet about 3 weeks ago. At my worst, I was 338 in October, now I'm at 276 this morning and I feel freaking great! Blood sugars are staying in normal range. Highest fasting AM was 123. But hanging in the 100 to 110 morning fasting. My during the day has been around 80 to 100. And that's with dropping Glipozide from my med list. (Was 10mg twice a day) My last 2 A1C test were 5.4. 6 months apart, so the last year. That is my pre-keto sugar. I also had a bunch of labs drawn before I jumped in. In 6 weeks, I get it all done again. Blood pressure has decreased some as well, I'm only slightly higher than what a normal pressure should be.

Unfortunately I had to have a surgery on my leg this morning, so I may be sidelined from saddle time for a bit....

Bonus, my Fasting Sugar pre-op this morning was 88. Another patient was 260. And I overheard another at 442! I think they postponed his surgery... Overheard someone else post op was 160, mine was 75.
Old 04-27-18, 05:11 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Who says?
First, the most recent research:

However, research has demonstrated that fasted cardio does not increase fat burning over a 24-hour period. While your muscles adapt to using more fat when you exercise, you don’t actually lose more fat overall on the days that you exercise versus days that you don’t. Another study suggests that ingesting carbs before working out increases the post-exercise “afterburn” effect more than the fasted state. That means more calories burned throughout the day, not just during your sweat session.

Does fasted cardio really burn more fat? - Life by Daily Burn
3/11/2017

Its always being updated but for the moment, data indicates that you burn less calories overall running non-fasted, than you would burning some store of carbs.
My running has always been more efficient on an empty stomach, same for cross-fit & HIIT. It seems similar for other runners I've seen post on ******. Just where is your information coming from?
HIIT is just the opposite. That form of exercise would most definitely profit from fasted training.

Before doing a really tough work-out, or one I am just mentally hesitant to do, I may need some sugar, (Stinger gummies) -- but food in the digestive system? Never.
OK, but there are more natural forms of simple carbs, if I had to.
Old 04-27-18, 05:37 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

First, the most recent research:

Really, you are basing this on a Blog post published originally some four year ago by a Yoga instructor, who seems to have mis-interpreted the research studies? Of course if you consume GM prior to a work-out you'll burn more afterwards, ....you have to burn off those calories somehow and you will burn hotter with all that glucose in your system....jeez, it's common sense. The studies don't comment on what happens the second and third day, and whether there are net gains or losses.

I applaud you for enthusiasm in advocating Keto and IF'ing, but I think you ought to be a little more discriminating in making judgments about right and wrong practices. My observation is athletes have been doing fasted work-outs for decades, power and cardio, and moving more into endurance sports more recently. Dismissing it as a wrong practice seems a little...premature.
Old 04-27-18, 05:41 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

First, the most recent research:.
You should read Scott Jurek's posts, interviews. He's as thin as a rail, an elite endurance runner, record holder in the Badwater, eats nothing in the morning unless his runs go longer than SIX HOURS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.