Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Open Letter To Campagnolo

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Open Letter To Campagnolo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 08:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
So are any products received as gifts (birthdays, christmas, etc), not covered by warranty.. or are we expected to go after the giver of the gift for the receipts?
Old 08-24-18, 09:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So are any products received as gifts (birthdays, christmas, etc), not covered by warranty.. or are we expected to go after the giver of the gift for the receipts?
Yes you would need a receipt or gift receipt. It is pretty common these days to include one with the gift no matter what type of gift you receive.

John
Old 08-25-18, 08:28 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Very amusing thread.

I imagine if my second, almost new derailleur went 'sproing', my riding buddies might rag on me for riding such $%&@ while they helped me jackleg a SS to get home, but it wouldn't occur to any to say, "You shoulda bought that at our LBS."
Old 08-26-18, 05:20 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Lol. No product is under warranty if you can't proof you acquired it legally. They don't want to warranty the groupset that "fell off a truck". And since a warranty has a time limit, you need to proof a date of purchase.
there are many bad things here to say about Campy, but requiring a receipt is not one of them.
Old 08-27-18, 02:44 PM
gfk_velo

Bikes: Too many!

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 44 Posts
I've no wish to stamp on the toes of my good friends and colleagues at Campagnolo NA but I've just read this thread in it's entirety and it's left me wanting to make a few comments ...

I don't know what consumer law says in America but in Europe, your contract of purchase is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. We had a recent case of a retailer selling equipment that should never have been in the market, sold to him on the grey market at a stunningly good price. Not being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, he bought it and sold it on. When it did not perform to specification, the retailer replaced the product and sent us the unit concerned. It was not possible to grant warranty on it (in the normal way) because it was product that should never have been re-sold but in that instance, because the customer sent it to the retailer, the retailer sent it to us, we could act - we were able to not only replace the goods as a matter of goodwill (with the full acquiesence of Campagnolo Italy) but it also allowed us to remove a link in the non-authorised supply chain. So, in the case of any failure that doesn't look as if it was occasioned by an accident, fitting, adjustment or (lack of) maintenance, return the item to the retailer with a copy of the proof of purchase.

If return to the retailer is not a possibility, in Campagnolo's case, the warranty is worldwide, so we would recommend return to Campagnolo NA in the USA. They will deal with it according to the terms of the warranty.

As a Service Centre, Campagnolo NA have exactly the same procedures that we do as a Service Centre in the UK ... when we get a product back that we replace as warranty, goodwill, or where we make a significant discount on a new part in replacement (this is sometimes a route we need to use on legacy product where no direct equivalent is available any more but it is felt that it's reasonable and sensible to offer the customer a dig-out), we have to submit a claim online within a fixed (short) time period, and where needed, support that claim with images of the product that has failed. If the failure shows characteristics we have not seen before, we will write a short report and in many cases, in the event that there are novel characteristics that the factory have not seen before, the product will be requested back in Vicenza for analysis.

Every single warranty claim is checked and approved - there is no blanket authority, Campagnolo simply trust the SC to make a good assessment, take the correct action and then support the decision with correct reporting follow-up. At the factory, warranty is constantly assessed and if a type of failure exceeds a very low ceiling (any manufacturing process will always produce a small number of failures) then a process is operated inside the factory to isolate the cause, remove possibly affected production from the supply chain and change the production so that it does not occur again. I have known that process to be kicked off with a single case, in the past.

None of that, though, can happen if the company don't have the actual product to look at - either by proxy at the SCs or if it is requested back from the SCs by Campagnolo Italy.

To have two RDs fail is extremely uncommon, if all of the assembly parameters have been correctly followed. I'd "never say never" but I have run the UK SC as head technician for 10 years and have worked indirectly with Campagnolo for 37 years - and the only instances I have ever seen of repeat failure for one customer were in cases where the failure mode had not been identified by the factory as a problem area and addressed. I don't think I have ever seen two different failures in the same type of unit for one customer. It's a matter of regret that both of these RDs are not available for examination to isolate what went wrong and why.