Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stuff you tell your partner

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Stuff you tell your partner

Old 09-07-18, 01:57 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
My bike stuff is all in the basement or the garage, so Ellen knows what I have. She has, at times, enabled the addiction, not always in typical ways.
  • She'll send me a picture of a bike at an estate sale and ask me if it's worth buying
  • She stumbled on a bunch of bike-themed fabric and made me a bunch of mouse pads:
  • She spiffed up my workshop peg board with a bike silhouette:
These don't begin to scratch the surface. There's the workbench hauled home from one of her coworkers' house. There's the bike-themed curtains for the basement shop window and the parts cabinet we found at an estate sale and somehow managed to carry out and cram into the back of our car. I'm sure there's more I've forgotten. So, yeah, Ellen gets to see all the bike/parts buying/selling/horse trading nonsense. Heck, she just PayPal'd some $$ to Wayne Bingham at Velo Classique yesterday for a Simplex retrofriction downtube clamp.

What I don't share for the most part are all the near misses and scary stories. Sometimes that's unavoidable though:

but for the most part I'm mum about what goes on out there, and just try to keep the rubber side down and let her know where I'm at.
Old 09-07-18, 02:11 PM
abellanti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 15 Posts
your kinda screwed at 3 bikes...with twenty bikes it's hard to tell what's new...once you get to a set number you can sell one to buy one. Now it's for financial reasons why not to buy a bike, best listen to the wife.
Old 09-07-18, 03:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,362 Times in 1,381 Posts
Like @smontanaro's wife, my wife encouraged me, too. Wrenching on bikes became a hobby when my daughter's bike got stolen and I went to the police auction to get her a replacement. I came home with three bikes. My wife's birthday gift to me was to clear out an area of our basement to be my bike workshop.

Now we have two homes. I once told her I didn't have a particular tool on hand because it was at the weekend home. She said I ought to have one of each tool in each home. I like the way she thinks. But there's no room for a workbench in the city apartment, and I'm not going to buy a second truing stand or derailleur hanger alignment tool or pair dropout straightening tools. I get by shuttling those between the homes.

She's the home improvement person and the general contractor over the renovations in the weekend home. She has amassed quite a lot of tools and supplies for that work, including a floorboard planer and an air compressor.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-07-18, 04:56 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I'm confused by the "weekend home". Does the normal house stop working then?
Old 09-08-18, 11:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
I'm confused by the "weekend home". Does the normal house stop working then?
The city is a difficult place to live. Nature is a long way away. The city is noisy and dirty. We basically move twice a week. It's common in some urban areas, among lucky people. We don't have high incomes, but family inheritances affords us two homes. Our weekend home is in a rural area near the Catskill mountain range.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 09-09-18, 02:58 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Since moving in with my girlfriend 6 months ago, I've convinced her to buy a Schwinn World sport, a Raleigh Professional, a Miyata 312, and a Tommaso all for herself. We no longer have 2 of those, and I also sold 2 other bikes for her, and supplied parts and build the Tommaso. I just recently bought a 2nd bike here for myself, so... I dunno, I guess we're pretty equal? lol. She commutes most days on her Tommaso and loves it.
Old 09-09-18, 08:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Right, and my wife owns three of her own.

Old 09-09-18, 12:56 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 175 Posts
Originally Posted by abellanti
your kinda screwed at 3 bikes...with twenty bikes it's hard to tell what's new...once you get to a set number you can sell one to buy one. Now it's for financial reasons why not to buy a bike, best listen to the wife.
AH the bicycle passion .This thread is getting some traction . No not financial reasons , we live comfortable . You could even say we have disposable income . Mswesti and I have a mutual hobby , more a life style (google Westsail) but that is more a second home to us as we do live on it in the summer time .

Last edited by markwesti; 09-09-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-09-18, 02:52 PM
Essthreetee

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Nevada City, ‘92 Merlin Titanium, '84 Torpado Super Strada, ‘84 Schwinn Tempo, '81 Bianchi Limites, '73 Raleigh Supercourse

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 41 Posts
My wife and I are honest with each other about our desires. I recently just acquired a Merlin...and all I had to do was talk to her about it. She said...you obviously want it and know what you are doing. You work hard and deserve it. Have fun.

I buy her things. She buys herself stuff. She buys me stuff. We don’t go crazy about anything, but love it when the other is happy.

I prefer being honest and find it makes for good sleep.
Old 09-10-18, 01:08 PM
lesiz
Flat Ire

Bikes: Trek 1100, DeRosa Idol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The formula

At the onset one needs to reveal the cyclists' formula to the S.O.
X=Y+1
X= The number of bikes one needs.
Y= The number of bikes on currently owns.
Old 09-10-18, 01:42 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
...My wife knows this hobby has a lot of value for me, and I strive to keep things thrifty. Cost neutral is the goal. (Not that I’ve ever hit the goal!)
This is me exactly. I'm also a bike commuter, so our car insurance and gas expenses have gone down due to reduced annual mileage.

When I do try to describe the latest bike project to my wife, she listens initially, which only encourages me to elaborate...then her eyes just glaze over.
Old 09-10-18, 02:25 PM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 64 Posts
Although A is not a cyclist, she has been known to enjoy a bike ride, and even organise one or two. I have too many frames that don't fit me that are on the way out but I'm happy with the rest and I can make the case for the occasional extra. Also, sometimes it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
Old 09-10-18, 02:33 PM
TheLibrarian

Bikes: 2014 Giant Roam

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What I've always had that bike you just never pay attention to me! and then I accuse her of liking that guy from Americas got dance and storm out.
Old 09-10-18, 03:17 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by katsup
However, she does wish I'd stop talking to her about bikes, I am still working on that.
I use *Code names for my bikes like Louis Vuitton, Gucci sylvie and Fruit of the loom. Keeps them guessing...and curious.
Old 09-10-18, 05:11 PM
cnicholls

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I realised my wife doesn't know when I buy/swap out wheels. So that's my little dirty secret. Depending on the bike, a new set of hoops can definitely make the bike feel a lot different and/or capable of going off-road, if that's your thing.
Old 09-10-18, 07:43 PM
Maitreya

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You both are the captain!

Marriage is like a ship that the wife and husband are captains. What is good for the ship is good for the marriage. All things should be discussed, and both sides should be fair to the other capitan. If any one dominates, that is not a good arrangement. Get off the ship!
Old 09-10-18, 08:03 PM
markwesti

The ship

Originally Posted by Maitreya
Marriage is like a ship that the wife and husband are captains. What is good for the ship is good for the marriage. All things should be discussed, and both sides should be fair to the other capitan. If any one dominates, that is not a good arrangement. Get off the ship!
Getting off the boat is not a option . Plus the boat is not sinking , the bilge pumps are working .
Old 09-10-18, 08:08 PM
markwesti

The all seeing eye

Originally Posted by cnicholls
I realised my wife doesn't know when I buy/swap out wheels. So that's my little dirty secret. Depending on the bike, a new set of hoops can definitely make the bike feel a lot different and/or capable of going off-road, if that's your thing.
My wife knows everything ,well not really . She does take notice when the EBay packet shows up .
Old 09-10-18, 08:39 PM
Gdfbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have over 100 bicycles and 80 some motorcyles so she (and sometimes I) only notice a new car. This is the Easy way.
Old 09-10-18, 09:42 PM
Maitreya

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by markwesti
Getting off the boat is not a option . Plus the boat is not sinking , the bilge pumps are working .
Then do what is the best for the boat. Become a true partner, equal and concern to sail to the end with Oneness! Sacrifice, by both, is the foundation of a good relationship and lasting marriage!
Old 09-11-18, 08:37 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
We each have hobbies. My interests and acquisitions vary, but don't cost any more than her cigarettes and extensive moving violation collection......

Last edited by bark_eater; 09-11-18 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-11-18, 08:50 AM
Drinian

Bikes: 1964 Sherwood Flyer, 2017 Raleigh Superbe iE

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which came first?

I've been married now for 21 years, but bought my bike in 1964 when I needed a way to get to work and my Dad wouldn't let me buy a $50 Ford for sale up the street. As you might have guessed, it's still my first bike, but my second wife. On the other hand, I like keeping my antique running. The proof that she loves me, however, is that soon after we were married she bought me a second old bike at a rummage sale. My "return payment" is to keep her 10-speed in bearings and tuned. Now that I'm over the hill, I tested our marriage by buying a new bike, a Raleigh Superbe iE. As electric assists go, it's on the less expensive side, but mine cost double. Yes, my enthusiasm meant I had to buy her one a few weeks later. She won't ride it much, but it's a great equalizer.
Old 09-11-18, 11:11 AM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 253 Posts
Most of my life, one bike met my needs. I always had a work space and tools for wood working and car repair. But, by late middle age my work hours reduced enough to allow the luxury of multiple bicycles, i.e. a collection.. I think it requires a mature relationship to work. Here's my insight:

Male/Female relationships are complex. Some couples have much in common, others little. My wife and I are extreme opposites, but it worked these 58 years because both of us are disciplined and frugal. It took time to know each other and discover our strengths and weaknesses along with what we mutually enjoy. Opposites attract because together we make a whole. Over time, we came to enjoy the things we have in common and appreciate the differences that attracted us so strongly to each other. I know one thing, she is truly "my better half". Don

Last edited by ollo_ollo; 09-11-18 at 11:13 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar
Old 09-11-18, 11:29 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
I get a pass because I fix her friends, and their kids bikes. The other day she asked what happened to one of the bikes I had hanging in the garage, "You mean the Follis? I'm letting someone try it out". She says "I don't know, the blue one that hung by the dryer. I use it to hang my clothes" Ha, she now has a Trek 2300 to use for a clothes line...
Old 09-11-18, 11:31 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Half the time it's me telling her "Yeah, let's check it out", after she spots a C&V deal on CL, or spies something at the thrift store bike sale that I overlooked. Other half the time, it's vice-versa. IOW, we're about balanced in our obsession.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.