Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

only 6 rides on studded tires last winter

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-18, 02:42 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts

makes it hard to justify getting new BIGGER studded tires this year ...

if I did the same & got the tires I was just looking at, w/o tax that would be $37 pr ride (for one year) if I use them for two years it goes down to $18 pr ride ...

EDIT I have 40mm studded tires now which I used on a Trek FX the past cpl years, but now I have a 29 MTB w 2.25 tires. I know I can use my 40s on it but was thinking about getting wider (2.1") studded tires, just cuz I can ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-04-18 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 03:06 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 472 Posts
Oof, pricey. If I was a commuter I might spring for a set, but I never was in need of them last winter. It would be a blast out on our small lake though!
Old 10-03-18, 04:15 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6

makes it hard to justify getting new BIGGER studded tires this year ...

if I did the same & got the tires I was just looking at, w/o tax that would be $37 pr ride (for one year) if I use them for two years it goes down to $18 pr ride ...
Do you change onto studded tires each time as conditions change, or did you encounter icy conditions only six times last winter?

I posted just yesterday:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement.

My first pair lasted several seasons, and may be still useable…

I really like the Schwalbe tires because I don't seem to feel the increased rolling resistance many claim for more aggressively treaded studded tires.
...As a busy early morning commuter, it’s just too much trouble to change tires with the weather.
Originally Posted by mcours2006
… However, sometimes it's hard to tell what the conditions are the farther away from home you have to ride, and you don't know if you need studs until it's too late.

Also, living where we are there are many months when the temperature in the AM is below freezing but daytime temps are above, so moisture in the air sometimes forms slick patches on the road.

If I didn't have the security of studded tires I'd give up probably 30% of my commutes just because there's an odd chance that there's slick conditions somewhere.temps are above, so moisture in the air sometimes forms slick patches on the road
Originally Posted by tsl
…. Here in Rochester, at least along my commute, there's always ice that miraculously didn't get saltedBroken bones would keep me off the bike for weeks while they mend
Originally Posted by anx
I wish I had mine today for 5-10 minutes for the icy patches I hit (see above),but with the warmth they would have overkill for 90% of my ride…
Old 10-03-18, 04:21 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
If you don't get them, and crash because you didn't have them, a trip to the ER in an ambulance will likely be ~$500 out-of-pocket (dependent upon your insurance co-pay). Plus those studded tires will last for many more years, further amortizing the upstart cost. Just get 'em.
Old 10-03-18, 04:45 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
I see studded tires on CL all the time, 1/2 price or less.
I think folks get all excited & get set up for winter riding in the Fall.
When they finally go winter riding, reality hits them.
An indoor spin class or trainer might work better for them

I borrowed a set & did 2 rides. Burrrrrrrrr.
Needed: more layers, better gloves, face mask, goggles that don't fog up from my breathing, better shoes/boots.......

IMO
Better to spend $$$ on a plane ticket south

Last edited by bogydave; 10-03-18 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-03-18, 04:53 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Studded tires are worth the expense. Mine are 8 years old and still good. I only use them when I feel it's necessary, that's why they last for such a long time...It's worth it even if only needed few times during the winter season.
Old 10-03-18, 05:14 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Riveting
If you don't get them, and crash because you didn't have them, a trip to the ER in an ambulance will likely be ~$500 out-of-pocket (dependent upon your insurance co-pay). Plus those studded tires will last for many more years, further amortizing the upstart cost. Just get 'em.
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Studded tires are worth the expense. Mine are 8 years old and still good. I only use them when I feel it's necessary, that's why they last for such a long time...It's worth it even if only needed few times during the winter season.
Originally Posted by bogydave
IMO
I didn’t bother to comment on the cost-benefit of studded tires, but just a few hours earlier today I posted about the hassles of being injured and stranded one summer day under nearly ideal conditions; how much worse in the winter.
Originally Posted by jimmuller
... about commuting vs. risk, for the past two years I also commuted when the days are long enough and the weather warm enough. The possibility of an accident is something I, and I assume most of us, prefer to close our eyes to.

Every time we take our tandem out I worry. I worry less so on a solo bike because it is more agile, but I still worry about some inattentive or drunk driver hitting me from behind in a most unlikely place.

Nevertheless we ride anyway. You can't run from life.
"Hit the pavement "

Well said and so true. I have had two other emergency room visits while cycling. The first was up in the exurban Hamilton-Wareham area of the North Shore in the mid-morning on a weekday.

I was able walk to nearby Gordon College, and call my wife for ride to Beverly Hospital, where I got some upper lip stitches...
BTW @wolfchild, see my counter-proposal (link) above.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-04-18 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-03-18, 05:20 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
I hate riding on studded tires, but the peace of mind they provide is priceless. A set of Marathon winter studs at CRC is actually quite reasonable at $30/tire for 35x700c. I have a few sets. I'll use them for most of the winter, though this year I might use them less as I promise myself that I'd not ride when conditions get too bad, like ice or snow. Still, they do their job on those mornings when there's moisture in the air, or frozen puddles from melted snow.
Old 10-03-18, 05:29 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by mcours2006
I hate riding on studded tires, but the peace of mind they provide is priceless. A set of Marathon winter studs at CRC is actually quite reasonable at $30/tire for 35x700c.

I have a few sets. I'll use them for most of the winter, though this year I might use them less as I promise myself that I'd not ride when conditions get too bad, like ice or snow.

Still, they do their job on those mornings when there's moisture in the air, or frozen puddles from melted snow.
I ride well-tended roads in Boston, and the Marathon Winters are great on hardpack snow, and usable to about 3 inches of fresh snowfall.

PS: I just now (10/4) noted this post on the Commuting Forum, from Serbia on 10/2:
Originally Posted by Slaninar
…Schwalbe Marathon Winters are great tyres for roads that are ploughed - no deep snow, but relatively shallow snow, hard packed snow and ice - for those conditions they are great.

For deep snow - some model with bigger knobs, wider tyres (2" + ) and studs in case you run into an icy patch.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-04-18 at 03:16 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 10-04-18, 06:59 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
I'm a commuter from the Boston area. I'm a little confused. I know a bunch of you have two bikes. I switch the winter tires on and off each winter because I have one bike. In fact, I'm actually heading to the mechanic's today or tomorrow to put them on ahead of this coming winter. Anyway, I find the peace of mind is a benefit, plus they do a good job on the black ice and white ice. If it gets too nuts then I wuss out and take Uber.
Old 10-04-18, 06:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by bogydave
I like the way you think!
Old 10-04-18, 07:06 AM
rumrunn6

Do you change onto studded tires each time as conditions change, or did you encounter icy conditions only six times last winter?
last cpl years I've had 3 bikes at my disposal, road bike which is OK in winter so long as the roads are clear & OK on dirt when it is frozen hard w/o ice, hybrid A with trail tires (great all year w/o ice) & hybrid B w studded tires (nicknamed ice bike) for when the winter sh*t hits the fan. I rode more than 6 times last winter, but just 6 times on the "ice bike". this year I have 4 bikes, ugh, but I'll sell at least 1 of them soon I think. still need to swap tires on it & take a pic for the ad. TMI?
Old 10-04-18, 07:48 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by parkbrav
I'm a commuter from the Boston area. I'm a little confused. I know a bunch of you have two bikes. I switch the winter tires on and off each winter because I have one bike.

In fact, I'm actually heading to the mechanic's today or tomorrow to put them on ahead of this coming winter. Anyway, I find the peace of mind is a benefit, plus they do a good job on the black ice and white ice. If it gets too nuts then I wuss out and take Uber.
Hi @parkbrav,

I’ve never encountered you on the Forums. If I may ask, where do you live and where do you ride?
If new to Boston, FYA:
For a nice, friendly Metro Boston hang out on BikeForums, see this thread on the Regional Discussion Forum, “Metro Boston: Good ride today? (link),” started in 2009, with over 7000 replies.

Also, I have posted a Cyclists Guide to Metro Boston (link), with information about road cycling, bikepaths, and taking your bike on the (T) (subway) and Commuter Rail.

By way of introduction, I’'m a decades long lifestyle cyclist…year-round commuting, road cycling and touring.
BTW, I don’t list my location under my avatar, but it is “D’uh” [in Kenmore Square].

Jim from Boston
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Whenever I see a series of nested quotes, I think "it's Jim from 'Duh' again."
Regarding studded tires,I too ride them all winter long, starting in December.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-04-18 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-04-18, 08:01 AM
Jim from Boston

Do you change onto studded tires each time as conditions change, or did you encounter icy conditions only six times last winter?...
last cpl years I've had 3 bikes at my disposal, road bike which is OK in winter so long as the roads are clear & OK on dirt when it is frozen hard w/o ice, hybrid A with trail tires (great all year w/o ice) & hybrid B w studded tires (nicknamed ice bike) for when the winter sh*t hits the fan.

I rode more than 6 times last winter, but just 6 times on the "ice bike". this year I have 4 bikes, ugh, but I'll sell at least 1 of them soon I think. still need to swap tires on it & take a pic for the ad. TMI?
So you essentially change tires each time as the conditions change. FWIW:
I didn’t bother to comment on the cost-benefit of studded tires, but just a few hours earlier today I posted about the hassles of being injured and stranded one summer day under nearly ideal conditions; how much worse in the winter.

see my counter-proposal (link) above.
Old 10-04-18, 08:43 AM
parkbrav

Hiya Jim, not to give my exact location away but I live near the 93/95 interchange, if that's any help. So NW Boston.

I pop in and out on this site.

Ah, ok, so December. Does it change your mind any that Channel 4 is predicting an early and cold winter this year, and that we'll see some early winter around Halloween?
Old 10-04-18, 09:03 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
EDIT I have 40mm studded tires now which I used on a Trek FX the past cpl years, but now I have a 29 MTB w 2.25 tires. I know I can use my 40s on it but was thinking about getting wider (2.1") studded tires, just cuz I can ...
Well if you're going to spend that much have you considered going whole hog and just buying a fatbike? You could get that rate up to like $400/trip. ;-)

I've tried 2" tires and personally found them lacking.

30c-40c tires are a width where if the snow isn't to deep they cut through the snow to the road surface and give you solid grip on the pavement. At 1"-6" of freshly fallen snow they cut through the snow to the pavement and are great. When the snow gets to deep to cut through they go from being great to absolutely sucking though...

I thought a 2" tire would provide improvements but I found them to be worse. At 1"-6" of snow they're to fat to cut through it and they wander around on top of the snow and it's a lot of work to keep control of the bike and uncomfortable. When you get more snow they're to skinny to float on top of it and they couldn't handle extra snow any better than my skinnier tires could. I tried them back to back after a snowstorm and my 35c tires would get jammed up at the same depth of snow my 2" tires would. 2" tires were also much slower and much noisier.

I tried a fat bike at a demo and while it's slower and noisier than the skinnier tires, the tire is finally so fat it will float on top of a fair amount of snow. I never cuts through to the road but the tire is so wide it stays stable and the handling is predictable. I even road it on a lake with patches of sheer ice, the non-studded fat bike tire would not stay upright on sheer ice but when it would start to go over it was very slow and I had the chance to get a foot down and prevent myself from falling over.

From reading other posters here, it sounds like 2" tires might be better at handling the icy ruts that can build up on city streets, but so would fat bike tires, and the 2" still handle poorly with small amounts of new snow.

I sold my 2" tires as I couldn't see a situation where I'd use them. My personal opinion is that I'd either go 30c-40c, or full on fat bike, and tire sizes in the middle (around 2") aren't very useful for winter riding.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 10-04-18 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-04-18, 09:46 AM
Jim from Boston

Hiya Jim, not to give my exact location away but I live near the 93/95 interchange, if that's any help. So NW Boston.

I pop in and out on this site.

Ah, ok, so December. Does it change your mind any that Channel 4 is predicting an early and cold winter this year, and that we'll see some early winter around Halloween?
Hi parkbrav,

Thanks for that reply. Nearly all my cycling is south of Boston in the vicinity of the Charles River and Neponset River watersheds. Being in Kenmore Square I do get up North, and Rte 62 is a favorite road.

A favorite route back home is via Washington St in Woburn to Winchester, then Rte 38 to Arlington, and Mass Ave to Boston, or through Meffed to Somerville to Boston.

In my Cycling Guide to Metro Boston I described your sector:
Northern Suburbs: Lynnfield, Reading, Wilmington, Woburn, down through Winchester, etc: Pleasant suburban to rural inland roads.
I use Weather.com to plan my cycling.
On our Comcast cable service we [used to] have a channel (245) called Weatherscan that shows the current temp, wind speed and direction, and Doppler over about a fifty mile radius. So I can pretty precisely decide whether to take the beater bike or the pristine carbon fiber.

For more extended forecasts I use Weather.com for hourly forecasts over about two days, and five-day and 10-day forecasts.

I find them to be pretty accurate when predicting good weather, but can be variable for rain. As noted, the immediate Doppler of Weatherscan or Weather.com will make the final decision, but at least I’m forewarned
Accuracy diminishes the farther into the future, and IMO such long-range forecasts to Halloween are jibber-jabber. My initial decision to take the bike to the shop to put on the studs (can only do on weekends) is the first snowfall, and over the several years I have had studs, did not occur until December.

I usually keep them on until April 1, but hopefully I'm riding the carbon fiber bike by then. As I posted:
I ride studded tires all winter from December to March, nearly entirely on bare, wet, and/or salted pavement.

My first pair lasted several seasons, and may be still useable…

I really like the Schwalbe tires because I don't seem to feel the increased rolling resistance many claim for more aggressively treaded studded tires.
Old 10-04-18, 10:18 AM
parkbrav

yeah, I'm lucky in the sense that I live and work in the same municipality, so my commutes are relatively short.

I do know of, and have used, the Bedford/Lexington bike trail, which I can usually get to after a lengthy ride.

My first post on this site, ever, was back in April, wondering when it made sense to take my pair of studded 45 North's off. I kept them on a bit longer than expected - a bit after the Master's - because I got slammed at work.

In the spring do the studs make the tires slip more if the roads are slick due to rain?
Old 10-04-18, 11:38 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
2" tires
I got an old MTB to expand the range of unpaved trails I've been riding with standard hybrids. been pushing the limits on those. the 2" tires are now much more comfortable over the rough stuff without having to air down as much & w/o those pesky slow leaking pinches ... in the winter, on those same trails, hikers leave frozen, hard, jarring footsteps. the bike has an entry level "shock" fork so that will help with my current 40mm studded tires. we'll see. the 2" studded tires would just offer that much more comfort I think. hard to justify the cost tho

Old 10-04-18, 12:04 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I got an old MTB to expand the range of unpaved trails I've been riding with standard hybrids. been pushing the limits on those. the 2" tires are now much more comfortable over the rough stuff without having to air down as much & w/o those pesky slow leaking pinches ... in the winter, on those same trails, hikers leave frozen, hard, jarring footsteps. the bike has an entry level "shock" fork so that will help with my current 40mm studded tires. we'll see. the 2" studded tires would just offer that much more comfort I think. hard to justify the cost tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYjABmAguW0
Oohhhhhhhh...gotcha...I'm thinking about paved streets because that's where I ride, or the kind of snow covered mountain biking trails we have here which really require a fat bike. In the Minnesota metro area there's not a ton of in between.

If you're currently handling stuff like that now with a 40c tire I definitely think a 2" or 2.2" studded tire would be a noteable improvement.

A fat bike...would probably handle it even better though...
Old 10-04-18, 12:25 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by paulrivers
:d
:d
Old 10-05-18, 03:12 AM
Jim from Boston

yeah, I'm lucky in the sense that I live and work in the same municipality, so my commutes are relatively short.

I do know of, and have used, the Bedford/Lexington bike trail, which I can usually get to after a lengthy ride.

My first post on this site, ever, was back in April, wondering when it made sense to take my pair of studded 45 North's off. I kept them on a bit longer than expected - a bit after the Master's - because I got slammed at work.

In the spring do the studs make the tires slip more if the roads are slick due to rain?
Not to be contrarian, but for me since I cycle-commute for fitness, a longer commute is beneficial; mine is 14 miles at least.

I don't think studded tires are more slippery on wet streets, but I have read that some subscribers do. In fact I think they might be more secure on wet metal, such as railroad tracks, or painted street lines, but I would avoid those in any situation.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-05-18 at 04:57 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 08:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
last cpl years I've had 3 bikes at my disposal, road bike which is OK in winter so long as the roads are clear & OK on dirt when it is frozen hard w/o ice, hybrid A with trail tires (great all year w/o ice) & hybrid B w studded tires (nicknamed ice bike) for when the winter sh*t hits the fan. I rode more than 6 times last winter, but just 6 times on the "ice bike". this year I have 4 bikes, ugh, but I'll sell at least 1 of them soon I think. still need to swap tires on it & take a pic for the ad. TMI?
That is similar to the way I approach winter except that I have mountain bikes. And I don't find myself using the studded tires all that much during the winter...probably about the same 6 times you do. A knobbed mountain bike tire will do the job quite well for most of the season.

That said, would going from a 40mm (1.5" tire) to a 55mm (2.125" tire) really make that much of a difference? I would say no. The studs are doing the heavy lifting and adding a bit more width isn't going to make that much of a difference, especially given the cost of the tires.

Just to be clear, I have 55mm tires on the front of my "ice bike" and 48mm tires on the back but I bought them that way. I probably wouldn't buy new ones just because the width is a little off.

One final point, a suspended mountain bike...front and/or rear...handles far better in ice and packed snow than a rigid bike. My "ice bike" is a Moots YBB which has just a little suspension (1.5" or 40mm) in the back and a 100mm lockable fork in the front. The little bit of give in the rear helps with grip while the front suspension rides up and over ridges and soft spots instead of just plowing into them. The bike tracks straighter and I can move faster.

This is the YBB in winter dress (but without the studs)

image by Stuart Black, on Flickr
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-05-18, 09:12 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by cyccommute
the YBB
thanks, I remember seeing that in another thread. interesting what you did there for a mud deflector for the seat tube. I DIY'd my own solution similar to yours with 1/2 a fender then another thing against the seat tube, but your's looks more refined
Old 10-05-18, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
thanks, I remember seeing that in another thread. interesting what you did there for a mud deflector for the seat tube. I DIY'd my own solution similar to yours with 1/2 a fender then another thing against the seat tube, but your's looks more refined
That's a commercial product. I don't recall which brand that one is as I've had it for a very long time. Generally, they are call "grunge" guards. I run them even in the summer to keep rocks from hitting me under the chin while riding off-road. I have a Mucky Nutz Gut Fender on this bike.

DSCN0934 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

If you look closely, you can see that it is bolted to the frame using a down tube water bottle cage mount. I actually had them added to the bike by the builder (local shop) along with other fittings for racks and fenders. The Mucky Nutz is fairly large but it's lighter than the other guard. It can also be mounted with velcro straps.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!