Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How often do you ride your bike trainer?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How often do you ride your bike trainer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 08:37 PM
Alfster 
long time visiter

Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone watch a movie with headphones while using their trainer? That's what I've been doing to kill the boredom of the trainer. Just started using it again after many, many years.
Old 01-19-19, 09:39 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
I have a trainer gathering dust in the attic that I used for a couple of 3-4 week stretches while I was recovering from two separate rounds of arm surgery. I rigged a cheap set of aero bars on the bike so I could support myself on my elbows, and rigged a stand for my iPhone so I could watch Netflix while I rode. As soon as I could, I switched to the rower, starting at minimum resistance and working up over months. Riding the trainer is purgatorial and to be avoided if at all possible. These days, if I can’t ride outside, I’ll row or sofa surf.
Old 01-20-19, 05:27 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Alfster
Does anyone watch a movie with headphones while using their trainer? That's what I've been doing to kill the boredom of the trainer. Just started using it again after many, many years.
Yes, I do, have been for a couple of years. Though my trainer/bike are fairly quiet, they're not silent. The wireless head phones allow muting the TV itself to keep the volume down so as not to bother others.
Old 01-23-19, 04:33 AM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
I ride 6 days a week on the trainer this time of year, 3 sets of Intervals, 2 recovery days and 1 endurance ride of 2 hours. The interval rides are about and hour and 45 minutes generally, recovery is 30 minutes to an hour. Netflix helps the time pass.
Old 01-23-19, 12:30 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
surprised no one mentioned this: don't pay too much attention to "miles" on a trainer. friction/load effects don't match the real world - you're not actually cutting thru the air with resistance, nor do you have any forward momentum. not better/worse, just different. I can easily tweak the outcome of miles based on resistance and gearing. and my rollers versus my magne-trainer also have different characteristics. speed and distance are relative only to the specific device and bike.

instead, simply figure out how much time you want to budget for this and dedicate yourself to meeting that as a daily or weekly goal.

focus on your effort for a particular workout, or even better, use a heart-rate monitor. load your days differently - sometimes a steady-state, sometimes a tempo, sometimes a recovery, sometimes high intensity intervals (HIIT). this variety is important, and you'll learn to "know" what your workout should be for any given day. I tend to take the fifth or sixth day off as full rest.

and it pays to cross-train with other exercises that build both core and other muscle sets. swimming and rowing form the "triumvirate" IMO. This really does improve your capabilities on the bike. I have a rower set up next to the bike trainer. the too-damn-early alarm goes off every day and I've trained myself to say "don't think." put on the right shorts and go to the basement. bike one day, rower the next. my constraint is about spare time, so that's what I budget.
Old 01-23-19, 04:15 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Never.

I ride outdoors 52 weeks/year. If the weather is so crappy that it truly precludes riding a bicycle outdoors, that's the universe telling me "don't ride a bicycle today!"
And I always listen to the universe.

The trainer -- and the rollers -- are really my wife's, not mine. But even she only uses them maybe half a dozen, possibly a dozen, times a year.
Old 01-26-19, 07:31 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
I bought a trainer back in 2010. I think I need to clean it up some as I only ride it when in rehab for upper body injuries. Living in Florida has it's perks.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 01-26-19, 07:54 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Since I am a bent rider, and my retirement medical pays for it, I go to a health club and ride the recumbent trainer 3 times a week. I live in the snow belt, and absolutely do not ride when it is cold.

Compared to when I didnt go to the club, I now keep approx 10 pounds of fat off over the winter.
Old 01-26-19, 10:37 PM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
I've had a trainer for years, set up in my home theatre, but usually relegated to bad weather days or days when I knew the day job would make riding impractical. Last year I sprung for a smart trainer, hoping to do a structured routine with interval days, to try and regain some strength and speed I had lost. Unfortunately, some other issues cropped up, which made hard solo road riding, or too much red zone training a bad idea. So for now, I'm spending four or five days doing a 60 to 100 min maintenance program on the trainer (running or elliptical on off days), and I'm glad I have the option.
Old 01-27-19, 05:06 PM
Midway

Bikes: Colnago Master PIU 90's era, Cannondale Synapse Hi-MOD Disc 2018

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts
At this point in my rehab from a hip replacement is the only kind of riding I am doing. I have my Colnago on a Blackburn mag TRAKSTAND and am coming from a fitness level of zero and up to 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week and improving quickly. I have it in our bonus room where I have an older front projector and can watch TV while I spin.

Looking forward to getting on the road but I can’t afford to fall for a few months.
Old 01-27-19, 08:12 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I purchased a smart trainer at the beginning of January and have been using it 3 or 4 times per week since. Loving it so far. I hope to be in great shape when outdoor riding starts!
Old 01-27-19, 08:56 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I prefer to ride outside like everyone else. However, we've only had two weekend this month where I've been able to ride outside.

I've been riding 6 days a week this month.
Old 01-29-19, 06:27 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dannwilliams
I purchased a smart trainer at the beginning of January and have been using it 3 or 4 times per week since. Loving it so far. I hope to be in great shape when outdoor riding starts!
Do it 5 or 6 times a week with some structured training and you'll be in even better shape. I couldn't believe how fast and strong I was when I went outside on my regular routes last year. It never let up either since I was outside as much as I did inside.
Old 01-29-19, 08:04 PM
dannwilliams
Its only pain

Bikes: '18 Salsa Marrakesh, '14 Salsa Colossal, '89 GT Timberline

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
Do it 5 or 6 times a week with some structured training and you'll be in even better shape. I couldn't believe how fast and strong I was when I went outside on my regular routes last year. It never let up either since I was outside as much as I did inside.
I had an “off” year last year, actually last 2 years. I’d just like to get back to where I was before my crash.
Old 01-31-19, 11:21 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
I ride the trainer 6 days a week in the winter, about 30 hours a month. Mostly racing and training on Zwift. In Canada, you get out of shape in the winter without indoor training and the start of the outdoor season is tough.

​​​​​​
Old 02-01-19, 07:36 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
I don't own a trainer so, "Never".
Jon
Old 02-14-19, 01:25 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I'm trying to improve to 4 days a week. I set a goal of 90 minutes a week, as I am just getting started again. And have a long way to go before considering Zwift or any smart trainer (though I certainly see their appeal!!).
Old 02-14-19, 01:47 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
The group I ride with goes way too hard, straight out the barrel.
So three times a week, before my group rides, I hop on the trainer for a light ten minute spin, just to loosen the joints and get the blood flowing.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 02-15-19, 10:04 AM
Scootman

Bikes: 2007 Trek 2.1

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the smart trainer and Zwift app. Definitely makes indoor much more fun and therefore more likely to do. I'm still at 2-3 times a week but before it was 0.
Old 02-17-19, 07:36 PM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
I understand the benefits of a trainer. A lot of really strong riders I know use a trainer. I would rather have a colonoscopy and a root canal at the same time than ride a trainer, so it's outside or I ain't riding.
Old 02-18-19, 08:23 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselgoat
I understand the benefits of a trainer. A lot of really strong riders I know use a trainer. I would rather have a colonoscopy and a root canal at the same time than ride a trainer, so it's outside or I ain't riding.
Listen to some of the advice in this thread. Zwift with a smart trainer is a lot more interesting than just spinning the pedals and staring into space or even watching something on TV. There are hills, there are competitions, there are sprints, there are structured workouts. A good smart trainer even has decent "road feel". A dumb trainer creates disturbances in the space-time continuum, but a smart trainer with Zwift or some other training apps does not. Time advances linearly as it should. There is a road and you ride it, albeit virtually on a screen.

My first experience with training videos was Spinervals with coach Troy. I never made it past 25 minutes. You pedaled while watching a group of people on trainers pedaling. It was the most boring thing imaginable. That is unfortunately a lot of people's experience with a trainer and it doesn't have to be that way. Try Zwift with virtual worlds, try Rouvy with real world video climbs that you control, try the Sufferfest with great workouts. They'll keep you engaged. And you know what? You'll go outside and kick some ass too when you're done.