Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

winter is coming to an end

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

winter is coming to an end

Old 02-26-19, 10:07 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Oh yes...I remember the azaleas in full bloom this time of year when I lived on the Gulf Coast There was also summer, and then what I called Bonus Summer, which I found utterly traumatizing.
Bonus summer.

I moved from Long Island and the first year in the south I planted all the beautiful perennials I had up north.

It was gorgeous, until a thing called August happened. Scorched.

-Tim-
Old 02-26-19, 10:21 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Bonus summer.

I moved from Long Island and the first year in the south I planted all the beautiful perennials I had up north.

It was gorgeous, until a thing called August happened. Scorched.

-Tim-
I moved south after spending nearly a decade in parts of the West where nothing grows because it's too dry. So being a good Midwesterner, I went out and planted my vegetables over Memorial Day Weekend. Yep. No vegetables.

But the rosemary I left outside all winter got like three feet tall! That was cool.
Old 02-27-19, 01:25 PM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
I moved south after spending nearly a decade in parts of the West where nothing grows because it's too dry. So being a good Midwesterner, I went out and planted my vegetables over Memorial Day Weekend. Yep. No vegetables.

But the rosemary I left outside all winter got like three feet tall! That was cool.
If it's any encouragement some of the "bulbs" are already starting to spring up here in the northeast, but I don't know if that's ahead of spring, or not
Old 02-27-19, 01:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
did you ride as much as you intended? I did not.

I also didn't get a blizzard ride in. we have all of March so maybe I will get lucky, but so far this winter has been a snowy bust in our areaI would really enjoy some rock hard dirt with about 2" of fresh powdery snow during a dry storm. then get done in time to watch all the roads close, light a fire & have a wine on my 1 day off a week ... is that too much to ask?
Spoken like a true Winter Velominatus, @rumrunn6, and it’s not been too cold either.
Originally Posted by Velominati
Rule # 9: If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards.

Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face.

This is a rider who loves the work
and I can feel winter slipping away as we approach March.As I previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
what are your favorite conditions?

...Nice descriptions @rumrunn6. 2019 is for me a re-building year after a bad 2018 (link), so since January I've been trying to ride, on abbreviated commuter routes using Commuter Rail. As I have frequently posted:
I have previously posted to this thread, Why didn’t I ride
My job; either too much to do, so I stay (comfortably) overnight and resume very early in the AM, missing my commute; or have to travel afar for a meeting….

And to a lesser extent, family activities. …
You’re certainly right about this being a friendly winter for riding. During the single-digit, last week of January, I was (fortunately) stymied by attending a week-long conference in Boston.

At such conferences I usually offer to take visitors on an evening walking tour in downtown, but no takers.
This February though, I posted to this thread:
Getting serious about getting into shape

…Just prior to reading this thread, I posted to the Winter Cycling Forum: Fitness is my prime motivator for winter commuting, as my only tenable activity, though indeed just last week I looked at indoor trainers, to keep at work, but time and disinterest in indoor riding is still a limitation.

Sufficient outdoor riding prepares me for the Spring (link) and builds up tolerance for the cold in general.

Anyways, apropos of the title of this thread, one of the best motivators I experienced was in 2016:
What is your average miles per week (or hours) for us old guys...

…Just this week [in 2016], I was presented with a golden motivation to achieve my optimal mileage. The organization I work for is promoting an “Activity Challenge,” for teams of five members to track their physical activity: type, intensity and duration, from March 6 to June 6, and points are assigned.

Two of my co-workers are on an opposing team. Results will be posted weekly.
This February, another facility that I work at has set up a much less "stringent" Winter Challenge for February.

So far this February as of Feb 8, I have no miles due to work and family activites, but despite temperatures of about 32 °F. with a wind advisory, I’m planning a nine-mile ride from my workplace this Saturday to home (but I can drop out along the route and take a bus. )
So later this February, nearly totally inspired by the challenge, I did three, ten to 14 mile rides in the 30's
ͦ F, eschewing a confortable train ride directly home.

In particular though, I rode about 4 miles this morning (2/27) at 13 ͦ F without discomfort. On my ride, I noted these two seemingly February-specific phenomena that I might consider harbingers of Spring:
…this morning [2/5/18, and 7:30 AM, 2/27/19] at about 7:30 to 7:45 AM on my southbound commute, the bright, low-lying Winter morning sun was directly at the level of my left hand rearview mirror, and the sun glare made it difficult to get a fix on that mirror.
+10 to overcast, especially in the AM, or PM around sunrise / sunset with the sun directly at about eye level. It seems that sometime in early February though, I start to notice some welcome radiant heat from the sun.
These rides, though in the Winter, might seem trivial, but I am riding a heavy hybrid bike after a long (months) layoff from my usual riding schedule.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-28-19 at 06:46 AM.
Old 02-27-19, 03:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
In particular though, I rode about 4 miles this morning (2/27) at 13 ͦ F without discomfort
yikes! obviously well on the road to recovery!

there must be a formula for equating cold rides to warm rides, meaning 4 miles at 13 degrees is equivalent to 40 miles at 72 degrees ...
Old 02-27-19, 03:19 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

in VT they grow their own herbs inside

Old 02-27-19, 04:29 PM
Jim from Boston

…there must be a formula for equating cold rides to warm rides, meaning 4 miles at 13 degrees is equivalent to 40 miles at 72 degrees ...
I don’t know about any conversion factor, but I have suggested this definition of a cold ride:
Speaking of winter I have on a few posts repeated the suggestion of the definition of a cold ride as one where the water bottle freezes solid, as a function of temperature and time. For my 14 mile commute of slightly over an hour that occurs at about 15º F.

Note that the frozen bottle contains carbonated water, which probably depresses the freezing point, but I think the situation is still a good definition of a cold ride.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-27-19 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 06:33 AM
parkbrav

I had a great ride in this am, 17F, snow showers and a light coating of snow on the roads. A truck driver leaned out of a truck and, with a huge smile on his face, said, "hey, that's ANIMAL!" I suppose that was a compliment!
Old 02-28-19, 08:34 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by parkbrav
I had a great ride in this am, 17F, snow showers and a light coating of snow on the roads. A truck driver leaned out of a truck and, with a huge smile on his face, said, "hey, that's ANIMAL!" I suppose that was a compliment!
Rule #9 : If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.

-Tim-
Old 02-28-19, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

A truck driver leaned out of a truck and, with a huge smile on his face, said, "hey, that's ANIMAL!" I suppose that was a compliment!
yeah it was
Old 02-28-19, 10:26 AM
Jim from Boston

yeah it was
How far (long)? For
Speaking of winter I have on a few posts repeated the suggestion of the definition of a cold ride as one where the water bottle freezes solid, as a function of temperature and time. For my 14 mile commute of slightly over an hour that occurs at about 15º F…
Nonetheless, as I posted to @rumrunn6 ,
Spoken like a true Winter Velominatus,…and it’s not been too cold either, and I can feel winter slipping away as we approach March.
But to keep things in perspective, consider this post from Alberta in Canada:
Originally Posted by Alfster
Challenges, especially with friends and/or coworkers, is definitely a great motivation. However, in our area I doubt anyone would find the motivation to get me out in our -25 to -35 degree celcius temps (-13 to -31 deg F). I've tried it before, but it's simply not any fun...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-28-19 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added quote by Alfster
Old 02-28-19, 10:30 AM
parkbrav

How far (long)? For Nonetheless, as I posted to @rumrunn6 ,
I'm back down to 2.5 miles each way, and I took the short cut so it was even less than that. Still, I thought it was a good time to kick in the ole' snow tires and see what they can do.
Old 02-28-19, 10:38 AM
Jim from Boston

I'm back down to 2.5 miles each way, and I took the short cut so it was even less than that. Still, I thought it was a good time to kick in the ole' snow tires and see what they can do.
For some reason I think you post from Metro Boston.

My shortcuts are via the MBTA. My usual bike-only commute of a minimal 14 miles can be shortened to 5 or 4 miles by commuter rail; or any distance I choose by MBTA bus and subway.
Old 02-28-19, 10:47 AM
parkbrav

For some reason I think you post from Metro Boston.

My shortcuts are via the MBTA. My usual bike-only commute of a minimal 14 miles can be shortened to 5 or 4 miles by commuter rail; or any distance I choose by MBTA bus and subway.
Yeah, I'm in Metro North. Not to give an exact location but I live near the 93/95 interchange. I work near to where I live. I am a 365 day commuter (car-less) for the past 2.5 years!
Old 02-28-19, 11:13 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Snowiest February round these parts since 1936. I rode nowhere near as much as I wanted to. Now I'm just waiting for spring so I don't have to make that decision whether or not to ride due to some wintry condition.
Old 02-28-19, 12:19 PM
Jim from Boston

Yeah, I'm in Metro North. Not to give an exact location but I live near the 93/95 interchange. I work near to where I live. I am a 365 day commuter (car-less) for the past 2.5 years!
Now I do recall we corresponded last year, also about winter, and you gave the same vague coordinates
Hiya Jim, not to give my exact location away but I live near the 93/95 interchange, if that's any help. So NW Boston.

I pop in and out on this site.

Ah, ok, so December. Does it change your mind any that Channel 4 is predicting an early and cold winter this year, and that we'll see some early winter around Halloween?
Hi parkbrav,

Thanks for that reply. Nearly all my cycling is south of Boston in the vicinity of the Charles River and Neponset River watersheds. Being in Kenmore Square I do get up North, and Rte 62 is a favorite road.

A favorite route back home is via Washington St in Woburn to Winchester, then Rte 38 to Arlington, and Mass Ave to Boston, or through Meffed to Somerville to Boston.

In my Cycling Guide to Metro Boston I described your sector:...
BTW, how did your co-workers react to your "hardcore" ride? ("When does Hardcore become Stupid.")

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 02-28-19 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 03:51 PM
parkbrav

Now I do recall we corresponded last year, also about winter, and you gave the same vague coordinatesBTW, how did your co-workers react to your "hardcore" ride? ("When does Hardcore become Stupid.")
It ranges from "oh, man, that's awesome that you do that much riding!" to coming up with bizarre theories about why I do it ("I'm doing it for the attention" ) and just garden variety immaturity. I had a tube mysteriously burst right after work at work one August day last summer, but the mechanic said it might have caught some glass and it was an old tube anyway

I usually only bike 5 miles round trip. I've been lucky that the winters have been pretty mild lately. If it gets crazy, I "wuss out" with Uber.

Last edited by parkbrav; 02-28-19 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-28-19, 05:54 PM
Jim from Boston

It ranges from "oh, man, that's awesome that you do that much riding!" to coming up with bizarre theories about why I do it ("I'm doing it for the attention" ) and just garden variety immaturity.

I had a tube mysteriously burst right after work at work one August day last summer, but the mechanic said it might have caught some glass and it was an old tube anyway

I usually only bike 5 miles round trip. I've been lucky that the winters have been pretty mild lately. If it gets crazy, I "wuss out" with Uber.
There have been many threads about co-workers reactions to cycle-commuters:
Originally Posted by coffinjewel
I find the biggest negative view people have that gets to me is the idea that you're some how stunted or immature for not bothering with a car and license. It boils down to the fact that any deviation from the norm is going to be looked down on really, doesn't matter what it is.

I think my favorite thing as a commuter cyclist is the look on peoples faces when you tell them you rode your bike 15 or 20 Kms to work or a function (and enjoyed it!). A sublte mix of "I didn't know bikes were good for more than riding around the block" and some "you poor thing".
A few yeara ago I posted similar sentiments:
Originally Posted by JanMM
...Bicycling keeps me immature......in a good way.
My cycling lifestyle in many ways makes me feel somewhat alienated” (“immature”) in a good way from the usual American car-focused lifestyle, and I’m grateful for that.

My cycling reputation, mundane as my cycling might be to the hard-core cyclists, is always a source of amusement and conversation with my friends and acquaintances; e.g. in bad weather, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?,” or at fancy social events, “Did you ride your bike here?.”

Always asked with amusement and respect.
or,
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago.

The most hostile remarks
, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.
Do you suspect sabotage of your tire by a co-worker? That kind of hostility is rare.
Old 03-01-19, 06:57 AM
parkbrav

I got "oh you poor thing" for having to bike 11 miles in snow showers. I just brushed it off and said, "I've found that if it's not 11 miles, it's not worth doing." She didn't have a retort ready for that one.

Ahh, well, if the mechanic said it caught glass, then I suppose it caught glass. I suppose another theory is that it was a hot day and an old tube. I won't go through all the office politics on this forum.
Old 03-01-19, 10:06 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by noglider
Owey Cramsie Jr posted this in the Facebook group called The Hudson Valley in Pictures.
that's a crazy amazing photo. it's so hard to capture birds in flight, never mind so sharply!
Old 03-01-19, 12:40 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Winter is definitely coming to a middle here in Iowa. Temps are heading back into negative territory, with more snow predicted next week.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-01-19, 12:43 PM
parkbrav

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Winter is definitely coming to a middle here in Iowa. Temps are heading back into negative territory, with more snow predicted next week.
So what you're saying is, a la Pat Metheny, "Spring Ain't Here"?
Old 03-01-19, 11:44 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
So what you're saying is, a la Pat Metheny, "Spring Ain't Here"?
Y'know, I've been aware of Pat Metheny forever, but I haven't spent a lot of time listening. I should fix that.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-02-19, 08:51 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Technically, Winter ends on March 20th. But a lot of people know, we still get snowfall in April.
Old 03-02-19, 09:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Daniel4
Technically, Winter ends on March 20th. But a lot of people know, we still get snowfall in April.
I have previously posted to this Fifty- Plus Forum thread: “Your end of season report.....”
Originally Posted by bruce19
Well...end of season if you're in New England for sure....

But, I created this post to ask, "What's your story?" Just wondering how everyone has viewed their season thus far
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I have an unending cycling season.

A little short on miles this summer, but still rolling quite a bit. About time to start thinking of getting bikes tuned for the winter.
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I ride 12 months/year in Minnesota, so I'm not sure how one defines the end of the season.
I don't think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons. I posted to this thread, “Does a near-perfect weather place exist?.”
Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain would be a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter.

So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here.

Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
Not to sound religious, but I I like to think of Ash Wednesday as my “New Cycling Year’s Day.” It occurs usually still well into the Winter and I use that forty-day period of Lent as a marker to define a tolerable length of time to go into a rigorous dietary and training mode to shake off the winter blahs, even though I ride during the Winter anyways.

By Easter, Spring is making itself known and I’m particularly ready for it.
This year, Ash Wednesday is this week, March 6.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-02-19 at 09:18 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.