Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

700c Tan walls

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 07:34 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
700c Tan walls

I would love to have tan walls on my bike. They look great and that's a fact I think we can all agree on... but I hate flats. Does anyone know of a tan wall tire 700c X 25c max size that holds up well against flats? I run conti grand prix 4000s with tire liners right now size 700c X 23c.
Old 04-14-19, 08:03 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Pasela PT
Old 04-15-19, 12:50 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Pasela PT
Seconded
Old 04-15-19, 04:29 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 35 Posts
Well I would say that a set of paselas would feel noticeably slower than what you’re riding now, but if you’re using tire liners, that likely won’t be the case. So the paselas would be a good and affordable choice. Just for clarification, when you say ‘flats’, what type of flat are you trying to prevent? I know what tire liners are for, but do you get a lot of punctures, or are pinch flats your biggest issue? A lot of people confuse these as being something that can be solved the same way, and I want to avoid giving useless advice. The paselas are decent tires, but won’t stop pinch flats any better than anything else.
Old 04-15-19, 07:28 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Bikes: 1991 Diamondback Master TG 1990 Trek 850 Antelope

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 106 Posts
Jack Brown Mile Munchers

They ride smooth and feel fast. They also have a 40% more rubber in the tread than the "race" version. Only 280 grams each also.
Old 04-15-19, 08:01 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by seamuis
Well I would say that a set of paselas would feel noticeably slower than what you’re riding now, but if you’re using tire liners, that likely won’t be the case. So the paselas would be a good and affordable choice. Just for clarification, when you say ‘flats’, what type of flat are you trying to prevent? I know what tire liners are for, but do you get a lot of punctures, or are pinch flats your biggest issue? A lot of people confuse these as being something that can be solved the same way, and I want to avoid giving useless advice. The paselas are decent tires, but won’t stop pinch flats any better than anything else.
Also, where are you getting your flats? Sidewall cuts? Punctures from riding over sharp objects?
Old 04-15-19, 09:30 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Bikes: Raleigh Competition, Pashley Roadster Sovereign, Mercian Vincitore Speciale

Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
Jack Brown Mile Munchers

They ride smooth and feel fast. They also have a 40% more rubber in the tread than the "race" version. Only 280 grams each also.
Honest question, for the cost of jack browns, why did you choose them over say compass? Also, for useless FYI, my 32mm gravelkings only weigh 10g more than these.
Old 04-15-19, 10:12 AM
BoozyMcliverRot

Honest question, for the cost of jack browns, why did you choose them over say compass? Also, for useless FYI, my 32mm gravelkings only weigh 10g more than these.

​​​​​​My chainstays won't fit a 28 and I originally wanted the Passellas but I didn't think with the tread they have I would have enough clearance with the 25c. I was basically just window shopping for tires untill I could figure out what I wanted to do when I saw these on On-Ones website for $18. I did a little research and found out they are made by Panaracer,I'm not sure but I think they are rebranded Soma/VeloOrange tires also.
Old 04-15-19, 11:12 AM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by BoozyMcliverRot
​​​​​​My chainstays won't fit a 28 and I originally wanted the Passellas but I didn't think with the tread they have I would have enough clearance with the 25c. I was basically just window shopping for tires untill I could figure out what I wanted to do when I saw these on On-Ones website for $18. I did a little research and found out they are made by Panaracer,I'm not sure but I think they are rebranded Soma/VeloOrange tires also.
well for that price, it’s hard to argue. That’s considerably less than the normal price. I don’t know if they are rebranded, I thought they were designed by Rivendell. I don’t think you would have had an issue with the paselas tread, unless you’re dealing with literally mm clearences, but maybe that’s the case. You can never go wrong with anything Panaracer, regardless of who’s name is on them. Anyway, thanks for the explenation.
Old 04-15-19, 12:05 PM
BoozyMcliverRot

well for that price, it’s hard to argue. That’s considerably less than the normal price. I don’t know if they are rebranded, I thought they were designed by Rivendell. I don’t think you would have had an issue with the paselas tread, unless you’re dealing with literally mm clearences, but maybe that’s the case. You can never go wrong with anything Panaracer, regardless of who’s name is on them. Anyway, thanks for the explenation.

Just an FYI,that was the price 3 weeks ago,it has gone up since then. I've noticed a lot of sites,especially CRC and On-One/Planet X,that the prices jump around a lot. I'm sure they will be back down in price again at some point.
Old 04-16-19, 10:57 AM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
but if you’re using tire liners, that likely won’t be the case.
I would have put VeloFlex Masters in my post if it weren't for the tire liners. no point in getting nice light tires if you're adding that kind of bulk.
Old 04-24-19, 12:57 PM
nightfly

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
This thread made me revisit my desire for a set of 28's with tan sidewalls. Looks like VeloFlex makes the masters in 28 but no one seems to sell them, domestically at least:

https://www.veloflex.it/en/open-tubular-master28
Old 04-24-19, 01:09 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

The Clément strada lgg, so far hasn’t been mentioned. It’s actually a very good performing tire for the price. I’ve owned both the 28 and the 32 in tanwall. It isn’t a veloflex or even a challenge tire, but it’s performs really good for the money. Figured that would be worth a mention.
Old 04-24-19, 01:22 PM
nightfly

I've ridden those tires and like them as well. What's strange in that you can only get the tan sidewall in the 60 tpi version. The 120 tpi version only comes in black. Also the company name changed recently, so they are now called Donnelly Strada LGG.
Old 04-24-19, 01:34 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
A pair of Clement Strada LGG in 28 popped up on Bike Recyclery a while ago. I was thinking of grabbing them, but went with Gravel Kings instead. They also have a new/takeoff pair of Pasela Tourguard in 23 -- good deal, too skinny for my liking though.

Clement Strada LGG 700 x 28C Tires: Tan Skinwall - PAIR (NEW) - Bike Recyclery
Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700 x 23c Tires: Tan Skinwall - Kevlar Folding (1 NEW, 1 Take-Off) - Bike Recyclery
Old 04-24-19, 02:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
tan sidewalls seem to be trendy in the road racing world these days, and you can get some very fast, supple tires with tan walls if that's your thing. check out Specialized Turbo Cotton or Vittoria Corsa. they will flat more than though.
Old 04-24-19, 05:05 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by seau grateau
A pair of Clement Strada LGG in 28 popped up on Bike Recyclery a while ago. I was thinking of grabbing them, but went with Gravel Kings instead. They also have a new/takeoff pair of Pasela Tourguard in 23 -- good deal, too skinny for my liking though.

Clement Strada LGG 700 x 28C Tires: Tan Skinwall - PAIR (NEW) - Bike Recyclery
Panaracer Pasela Tourguard 700 x 23c Tires: Tan Skinwall - Kevlar Folding (1 NEW, 1 Take-Off) - Bike Recyclery
For whatever it’s may be worth, I think the gravelkings are a better tire.
Old 04-24-19, 05:35 PM
ryan_rides

Bikes: 2018 Aventon Cordoba 2021 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
tan sidewalls seem to be trendy in the road racing world these days, and you can get some very fast, supple tires with tan walls if that's your thing. check out Specialized Turbo Cotton or Vittoria Corsa. they will flat more than though.
Yeah my LBS is mainly a Specialized dealer. They carry those tires but they would never last for me. Maybe one day in the future when I have a "weekend speeder" bike ill throw those on it. I'm just looking for tan walls that aren't so prone to flats. My Aventon Cordoba only fits 25c tires so "supple" isn't really a thing for me unfortunately. Even though I'm riding 23c tires right now and 25c compared is a big difference. (Waiting for my current tires to wear down to get new 25c tires. My LBS had a bogo deal on the conti grand prix 4000s II when the 5000s came out.
Old 04-24-19, 05:42 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2611 Post(s)
Liked 3,128 Times in 1,645 Posts
Yeah I ride the turbos (24c only) on my road race bike so it's a total "weekend speeder" situation haha. Coupled with latex tubes they are nice and soft and supple... I thought I had a flat constantly the first couple of rides. So smooth and so fast. I've yet to flat on them but I've only put about 400 miles on them, about 90% of that racing on mostly debris free roads.

Of course now I just jynxed myself with the flat comment...

Last edited by TMonk; 04-24-19 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-24-19, 05:44 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
Yeah my LBS is mainly a Specialized dealer. They carry those tires but they would never last for me. Maybe one day in the future when I have a "weekend speeder" bike ill throw those on it. I'm just looking for tan walls that aren't so prone to flats. My Aventon Cordoba only fits 25c tires so "supple" isn't really a thing for me unfortunately. Even though I'm riding 23c tires right now and 25c compared is a big difference. (Waiting for my current tires to wear down to get new 25c tires. My LBS had a bogo deal on the conti grand prix 4000s II when the 5000s came out.
Fortunately, for you, the Panaracer Paselas in 28mm measure something like 26 mm on most rims. Panaracer Gravel Kings in 28 also run narrow, though I'm not sure if they offer a tan wall. These Panaracer 28's are really designed for bikes that normally won't take a 28.

I think Conti did everyone a huge disservice by making their GP 4000II's in 28 mm so wide (30 mm?). After trying them on several of my road bikes, I was sure I'd never be able to run any 28's, but the Panaracers fit all of my 80's and 90's road bikes just fine.
Old 04-24-19, 06:08 PM
seamuis
aire díthrub

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Fortunately, for you, the Panaracer Paselas in 28mm measure something like 26 mm on most rims. Panaracer Gravel Kings in 28 also run narrow, though I'm not sure if they offer a tan wall. These Panaracer 28's are really designed for bikes that normally won't take a 28.

I think Conti did everyone a huge disservice by making their GP 4000II's in 28 mm so wide (30 mm?). After trying them on several of my road bikes, I was sure I'd never be able to run any 28's, but the Panaracers fit all of my 80's and 90's road bikes just fine.
Not my experience, but I run the 32’s. My gravelkings after about half a year still measure near true to size. And I run the rear at near the maximum psi.
Old 04-24-19, 08:34 PM
nightfly

Ordered a pair of those Stradas. For $50/pair can't really go wrong. Thanks for the tip.

I've got the VeloFlex's Masters (black sidewall) in 25 on my road bike and they are really nice feeling but my fixed gear I ride more often and am less careful.