Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Seeking info on Bianchi Milano

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 10-13-14, 05:34 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

I've always liked the looks of this bike and one is being advertised on my local CL. Unfortunately, it is blue rather than Celeste, and it appears to have some surface rust and a few scrapes. Probably in rideable condition and worth fixing up.

Bianchi Milano Uno Cafe Racer

Anyone know what these sold for new, or have a guesstimate on what one might actually be worth? According to Bikepedia, this should be a 2010 model. That's the only year I could find that looks like this. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
milano.JPG (68.7 KB, 429 views)
Likes For Yo Spiff:
Old 05-13-19, 12:10 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Bianchi Milano

Originally Posted by Yo Spiff
I've always liked the looks of this bike and one is being advertised on my local CL. Unfortunately, it is blue rather than Celeste, and it appears to have some surface rust and a few scrapes. Probably in rideable condition and worth fixing up.

Bianchi Milano Uno Cafe Racer

Anyone know what these sold for new, or have a guesstimate on what one might actually be worth? According to Bikepedia, this should be a 2010 model. That's the only year I could find that looks like this. Thanks.
Old thread, but figured I'd chime in. I have a Bianchi "Milano"; actually the "Auto-Milano". The bike seems to be of the same frame design as yours. Touted as a "Café Racer" (a "made-up" cycling term; actually for motorcycles) and made in Taiwan, China, or somewhere in the Far East. Unfortunately, it seems to be of standard mass-produced quality, and although it probably sold for a "pretty penny" ($200-300 or so), I don't think there's much value in a used one except for the value you place in it depending on your needs. Mine cost $30, someone getting rid of it, barely ridden in "like new" condition, tires and all! I believe that it is worth in the $50-$75 range if in good rideable shape. Mine happened to come with the Shimano Nexus "automatic transmission" which itself sells for about $400 to replace it, thus my model actually listed around $500-600 new. I've never ridden it because it's really not my type of ride; just got it so others visiting would have something easy to get around in. Brakes seem really cheap, pedals are really cheap, and steel handle bars add a fair amount of weight. Mine has a digital "push-button" control for going to "auto or manual" shifting on a 3 speed hub. Personally, if I owned Bianchi, I'd never put my name on it. It's a high priced Murray, or Huffy, and probably doesn't have much better (if any at all) frame build quality. I say ride it until something brakes off, then determine if it's worth fixing.
Old 05-16-19, 01:52 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
It is an interesting Cruiser. Kind of weird with the skinny tires, however, you can't create something new without bending rules. I have to agree on the value. Whatever it is worth to you. I don't think there is a following for this bike.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a cruiser that is a little different, this does it. Is the frame Aluminum? It looks like it. It would make a good rider.
Old 05-17-19, 11:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wink yea but not Italian,

To be price competitive, Bianchi USA has a Pac rim factory making them ..
Old 05-27-19, 07:23 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Bianchi Milano/ Auto-Milano

Originally Posted by Velo Mule
It is an interesting Cruiser. Kind of weird with the skinny tires, however, you can't create something new without bending rules. I have to agree on the value. Whatever it is worth to you. I don't think there is a following for this bike.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a cruiser that is a little different, this does it. Is the frame Aluminum? It looks like it. It would make a good rider.
I checked mine and it is an aluminum frame. I don't know what a good beach cruiser "feels" like since I spent the last nearly 40 years on road racing/light touring frames. Cruisers just feel slow and heavy to me, with no handling; I'd rather pull out the 55 lb Raleigh and really cruise. Maybe with non cruiser seat I'd be happier (I use a Brooks Flyer on the Raleigh). At this point I've decided to give it better brakes and pedals; the pedals look like they just want to break off! (I hate plastic pedals on adult bikes!, well on any bikes!)) so I don't get my friends killed on it. I'm putting a thread out for the Auto-Milano specifically to see if I can get some feedback on the automatic tranny hub.
Old 05-29-19, 07:29 PM
wedgeSG

Bikes: '13 Trek Madone 5.2 '14 Giant Thrive - (wife's)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Many here may realize that I’m a bit of a Bianchi fanatic, (5 so far and counting). When I needed the occasional greenway bike for outings with the not so serious I started looking for a Milano. I’d always liked the curved top tube, and I knew if the bike just got a shave and haircut that there was a nice looking bike hidden under the far too contrasting additions. I found this one with nearly no miles from the original owner, for $200. I spent far more than that on upgrades but I love the thing. It weighs 26lbs 2oz as seen here, with the tires and 46T it’s pretty quick on the locations it’s ridden on. Rundown of some components are as follows, Fizik Antares VSX on a Bianchi Componenti post. Kenda Kwest 100psi tires. Truvative bar on a Thomson stem in a Ritchie headset. The All City crank runs a KMC chain all spun by vintage Lyotard pedals. Nexus hub is original and cables are Jagwire. The Made in Italy decal is of course wishful thinking. Possibly one of the most pristine examples ever of Lipstick on a Pig.
Still, I love the thing, ride it about as often as anything in the stable, and knew going in that I was about to have far more money in parts than the recipient was worth on its best day. No plans to sell it, so I really just wanted to see if the potential I thought it had could be realized. What do you think?
Likes For wedgeSG:
Old 01-12-21, 09:45 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Just in case any Milano fans come looking at this, I bought the Milano Uno mentioned in the original post. It was physically in good shape but weather worn in places, especially the red coating on the wheels. I eventually got a Bianchi Boardwalk for my Tweed ride bike, and sold this one to a friend for her granddaughter for $100. If it had been the 3 speed in Celeste, I might have kept it.
Likes For Yo Spiff:
Old 01-17-21, 01:15 PM
MajorC

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Just got mine last night, I was so excited to take it home that I didn't even bother to measure the frame (owner didn't know the size). I found out at home it's a small frame, and I am 5'9". curiously though, my crotch has less than 2" clearance from the top tube near the handlebar. Will try riding tomorrow, hope I won't have issues with it being small.

unfortunately I'm not allowed to allowed to post photos yet. The color is celeste and it came with matching fenders and chain guard.
Old 01-17-21, 01:44 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Originally Posted by MajorC
unfortunately I'm not allowed to allowed to post photos yet.
Pic Assist

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 01-17-21, 10:10 PM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
wow thanks! It's been comfortable enough, I think the top tube on this bike is relatively long. the handlebars feel low already for a hybrid though given my seatpost is already at the minimum line. I have no idea too if those handlebars ang angled right.
Old 01-18-21, 09:54 AM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I was looking for a Milano for a few years. I considered the Milano to be a good attempt to make a relativity fast beach cruiser. I can't think of any other bike quite like it.
Old 01-20-21, 08:16 AM
BAM Egypt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good, Thanks
Old 02-02-21, 08:32 AM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Too bad I still can't post pics. I've sort of personalized the bike in the 2 odd weeks I had it. Had minimal issues w/ the bike being a small frame since I changed the handlebars to move them up a bit. It has a rather long reach to begin with anyway. Can't wait to get me one of those pizzettas. I have to commend the other celeste milano posed @wedgeSG 's bike, all metal parts in stainless finish. I don't have what it takes right now for such an effort. Stunning bicycle. looks like a pretty big frame too.
Old 02-02-21, 05:38 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
MajorC only 7 more post to go for pictures. Roger
Old 02-27-21, 02:10 PM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
wedgeSG would like to confirm if 46t chainring fits OK in that chain guard as I plan to get an oval 44t on mine

Last edited by MajorC; 02-28-21 at 08:16 AM.
Old 03-01-21, 02:28 AM
wedgeSG

Ok, went out and checked it is 46t. Not sure about the chainring you are planning, but I’m going to try and put up some photos that may help you in your attempt.
wedgeSG

You can kinda get an idea of space available here. I can’t remember if they were already that way or if I Dremeled them, but my chain guard holes are slotted to gain about a 1/4” rise upward.

New Brooks grips just installed.
Old 03-01-21, 02:53 AM
wedgeSG

MajorC a note about bars and stem. Your bars look stock, the stem may have been changed. Usually they will both be black finishes. The “beach” bars are normally run pretty close to flat/parallel to ground. I don’t care much for them as, (for me anyway), they arc into the body in turns. Going with something more flat bar or mountain bike like may yield more comfort and control. Both components are crazy stupid heavy. Amazingly so. There is a decent platform there, but the components hung on it are not much to write home about. First mods I’d do is work on the touch points and get some decent, light, Conti or Kenda tires on it. These are Kenda Kwests at 100psi and I’m pretty sure there are also some Continental Ultras in this size as well maybe even GPs?
wedgeSG
Old 03-01-21, 10:24 AM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
wedgeSG first of all I'd like to express how grateful I am for the effort you put in this, thank you so much! On the handlebars, I realized, are stock, but the previous owner put them in such a crazy angle presumably because of the lack of rise (the photo was taken the night I got the bike). So far I've changed the handlebars to "postino" style handlebars to increase the reach and they feel great. I've also put back the fenders because it can get pretty wet here, and replaced the saddle and grips to brown leather which I think suit the overall look better. I'll post pics when I already can. Meantime I'll study your pics which I think can really help on the chainring decision. Also looking at doing a service on the 8 speed hub soon.

Cheers!
Old 03-01-21, 10:36 AM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
By the way, I measured only 6.7mm of clearance between the bolt/rivet on the chainguard to the highest point of the chain in my current setup (44t round). I wonder if it's possible that the chainguard in my model year is slightly smaller. I guess I'll have to measure the chainring itself and ask the oval chainring manufacturer for precise dimensions. It's a bit pricey that's why I'm hesitant to pull the trigger.
Old 03-02-21, 01:13 AM
wedgeSG

Think I probably did Dremel these a bit. Here’s a couple of close ups of the chain guard attachment areas.
wedgeSG

Rear

Front
Old 03-02-21, 10:29 AM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ahh so this is how it's done! Was so afraid to buy the chainring for it to only end up hitting the chainguard, it but seems there is a way around it after all. Thanks again!
Old 03-02-21, 10:32 AM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh, finally able to post pics. my bike in its latest iteration:
Likes For MajorC:
Old 03-02-21, 10:33 AM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Also, had a bit of fun creating a version of the 1912 italian military Bianchi today:
Likes For MajorC:
Old 03-04-21, 08:46 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Nice comparison. It looks like the older bike might have some suspension in the rear. Could that be? The old bike, aside from the riffle and the helmet style, looks the way a modern bike camper would. I would think that the riffle would get in the way mounted along the top tube. I've seen other military bikes where the riffle mounts along the fork.

Is it possible that the 1912 bike was made by Bianchi? They were around back then.
Old 03-04-21, 09:13 AM
MajorC

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice comparison. It looks like the older bike might have some suspension in the rear. Could that be? The old bike, aside from the riffle and the helmet style, looks the way a modern bike camper would. I would think that the riffle would get in the way mounted along the top tube. I've seen other military bikes where the riffle mounts along the fork.

Is it possible that the 1912 bike was made by Bianchi? They were around back then.
It is in fact a bianchi, and apparently they did suspension bikes in 2012

I think my frame is too small (small frame and nobody to swap with here), might have been a closer match in terms of geometry if I had a higher top tube. Should have removed my headlight too..

Last edited by MajorC; 03-04-21 at 09:35 AM. Reason: additional info

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.