Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Surly Long Haul Trucker conversion to "comfort" bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Surly Long Haul Trucker conversion to "comfort" bike

Old 07-13-17, 06:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
That really looks nice. Once you get the bar style you like, you could try to trade it out for a polished bar if you like the polished look. You can also sometimes find tan/brown comfort saddles -- to keep a color motif going. Ergon make a "biocork" grip similar to what you have now, but it's brown instead of black and grey. Just some other ideas if you want to get back to the blue-and-tan look.

You're right -- ultimately, if the bike isn't comfortable, it's really not of much use to you!
Old 07-13-17, 07:45 PM
Cyclist759

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Some interesting changes for sure, but I like what you have been doing.

With your Brooks saddle there, did you try riding it with the nose not quite so upright?
Thanks, Col. Sanders! Interesting is the right word! And yeah, I did try...those pix were taken before my LBS corrected my ill attempt at moving the saddle forward. My current saddle is much more forgiving. I wish I knew why so many folks find B17's so comfortable and yet others of us don't get it at all. Someone told me at my weight (112), it'd take decades to break it in. I don't have that long (or the patience to wait)!

As for the look, I'm not thrilled with 70mm of spacers, but maybe if I got black ones and a black stem, it might look better. My Velo Orange stem definitely goes with my previous arrangement. Just hoping she evolves into a bike I love to look at as well as ride. One out of two won't cut it anymore!
Old 07-13-17, 08:09 PM
Cyclist759

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
That really looks nice. Once you get the bar style you like, you could try to trade it out for a polished bar if you like the polished look. You can also sometimes find tan/brown comfort saddles -- to keep a color motif going. Ergon make a "biocork" grip similar to what you have now, but it's brown instead of black and grey. Just some other ideas if you want to get back to the blue-and-tan look.

You're right -- ultimately, if the bike isn't comfortable, it's really not of much use to you!
Hi, and thanks, hokiefyd! I appreciate your ideas. My stock bike had black bar tape, a black saddle, and black tires. I'll post a pic. I kinda liked the blue/black/silver combo, but then fell in love with the tan/honey once I saw it. It's been harder to find a tan or brown gel saddle, but I haven't done a thorough search. And I almost bought that silver Mary bar, but wanted to wait till I tried out the Space Bar. By the time I got home, it had sold.

What a difference to feel in control of the bars again...they're wider and I feel much more stable. And the shifters are so smooth. That part is great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
crop.jpg (106.0 KB, 311 views)
Old 07-14-17, 03:24 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by velocipedia
I wish I knew why so many folks find B17's so comfortable and yet others of us don't get it at all. Someone told me at my weight (112), it'd take decades to break it in. I don't have that long (or the patience to wait)!
The standard (stiff) B17 isn't the only one in the line-up. If the essential shape fits you perfectly but you find it a bit stiff, you might consider one of the "aged" models, or the newer Cambium:

There are also several narrower and shorter options, both in the Cambium and the "B" family of saddles.
Old 07-14-17, 04:08 PM
Cyclist759

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
The standard (stiff) B17 isn't the only one in the line-up. If the essential shape fits you perfectly but you find it a bit stiff, you might consider one of the "aged" models, or the newer Cambium:

There are also several narrower and shorter options, both in the Cambium and the "B" family of saddles.
Thank you for this info, Clyde1820...these are some beautiful saddles. Spendy, too...but the quality is superb. I'll keep these in mind if I ever feel ready to try leather again.
Old 07-16-17, 11:09 AM
Cyclist759

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So I switched out the O8 Space Bar with the O8 Citi Classic, which I think is a North Road type bar (I got numb fingers with the Space Bar after only 2 miles and still felt too hunched over), and what a difference. Much more upright and comfortable, and no numbness. I took two rides today and it felt the best it ever has. May need a wider saddle and V-brakes, since the canti's are horrible.

So my tally is up to $2000 on this bike over the years. I now have her as comfortable as she can be. Maybe not as comfortable as a $500 hybrid...but that was the risk I took with the conversion, and the jury's still out on whether it was worth it!

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to my process...we'll see how it goes!!
Attached Images
IMG_0380.jpg (60.1 KB, 301 views)
IMG_0382.jpg (71.9 KB, 302 views)
IMG_0379.jpg (96.9 KB, 298 views)

Last edited by Cyclist759; 07-16-17 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Better photos and updated text.
Likes For Cyclist759:
Old 07-16-17, 05:58 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by velocipedia
So I switched out the O8 Space Bar with the O8 Citi Classic, which I think is a North Road type bar (I got numb fingers with the Space Bar after only 2 miles and still felt too hunched over), and what a difference. Much more upright and comfortable, and no numbness. I took two rides today and it felt the best it ever has. May need a wider saddle and V-brakes, since the canti's are horrible.

So my tally is up to $2000 on this bike over the years. I now have her as comfortable as she can be. Maybe not as comfortable as a $500 hybrid...but that was the risk I took with the conversion, and the jury's still out on whether it was worth it!

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to my process...we'll see how it goes!!

Looking good.

I can't wait till I get the chance to build up my own Surly LHT frame later on this year.
Old 07-16-17, 08:01 PM
Cyclist759

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Looking good.

I can't wait till I get the chance to build up my own Surly LHT frame later on this year.
Thanks so much, Colonel! I'll be keeping an eye out for your new LHT...what a fun project that will be, and the chance to do it yourself is awesome!
Old 07-17-17, 08:26 AM
corwin1968

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 18 Posts
That's a great looking bike! I don't think what you've done has resulted in a bike that is any less comfortable than a $500 hybrid. I would guess your bike is more comfortable due to the longer wheelbase and fatter tires.
Old 07-18-17, 04:31 PM
Cyclist759

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by corwin1968
That's a great looking bike! I don't think what you've done has resulted in a bike that is any less comfortable than a $500 hybrid. I would guess your bike is more comfortable due to the longer wheelbase and fatter tires.
Thanks so much for the kind words, corwin1968! Perfect timing, too...I just spent a couple hours switching out a few similar North Road type bars, with slightly different sweeps and rises, both silver and black. So I'm almost there; just cosmetic and fit tweaks now. A couple days' time has settled me down, and I think I've decided to stick with my new and improved Surly. I'll post a pic (or five!) when she's all dialed in!
Old 05-30-18, 08:47 PM
ragesincemdxvi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibbygoo
I switched to Surly Open Bar and replaced the brake levers, shifters, and derailleurs. The problem I have now is I have too much weight on my butt and knee over pedal seems off. I'm going to try a flat bar on it soon.

Hello there, good looking LHT. I have one question, did you have to use a fork/stem extender or just spacers?

best regards
Old 07-05-19, 08:55 AM
Gibbygoo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ragesincemdxvi
Hello there, good looking LHT. I have one question, did you have to use a fork/stem extender or just spacers?

best regards
Sorry for the late reply. I did not have my steer tube cut, so it is pretty high. I have since changed bars to the Jones H-bar and am feeling more comfortable. I was just considering an all arounder bike and doing research. My disc trucker is working out fine for my short fitness rides. Losing a bunch of weight has sorted out my other comfort issues.
Old 07-06-19, 04:50 AM
YankeeRider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
These Velo Orange "Tourist" bars are a close cousin to the Nitto "North Road" style handlebar. Classic looking and comfortable, swept back and with 70mm of rise.
https://velo-orange.com/collections/...lebar-22-2-dia

Old 06-25-20, 02:45 PM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Here are some ideas: https://www.clevercycles.com/blogs/n...mp-your-surly/
Old 06-26-20, 09:29 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
(Psssst, this is a zombie thread, three years old.)