Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Which bike? Luna or bikes direct

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 07-11-19, 09:05 AM
deerocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

bikes direct Motobecane hal e boost pro or Luna cycle lone wolf? Like them both.

also are these bikes still in their infancy meaning there will be issues or will it last for a long time w few problems?
Old 07-11-19, 12:12 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
These are totally different bikes, at totally different prices. First off, I have nothing against Luna Cycles, I have purchased from them in the past and expect to do so in the future. A strong point in favor of Luna Cycles is the quality of the service. There is no way you will get as great of service from Bikes Direct. Now to the bikes:

The Luna Cycle Lone Wolf is a conversion bike. In that, it is similar to a home built e-bike, except that you haven't built it. Next, it appears to be a hardtail MTB, nothing wrong with that, assuming that is what you want.

Focus on the bike, not the electrics. If it is exactly what you want, then great. If you feel that you are compromising on anything on the bike, then consider buying the bike you want, then add a motor and battery from Luna Cycle. When you are done, you will still have a conversion; but you will be better prepared to maintain it.

As far as the electronics, this bike will be better if you want to use the throttle. Of the two, I expect this bike to perform better in "pure motor mode," In fact, of the two, it is the only one that will function without pedaling at all.

The Bikes Direct
Motobecane
HAL eBoost PRO. This is not a conversion, it is a purpose built frame. The motor it uses is well regarded, but it is an assist motor, you will have to pedal. I would expect it to have weaker performance than the Luna Cycle. That said, I would expect the bikes direct bike to have better reliability due to its "purpose-built" design. Of course, it also costs quite a bit more.

The concern, as far as reliability goes, is that it may be harder to service if something does go wrong. I have a BBSO2 based ebike (well, to be more accurate, the motor is in my garage between project bikes). I used it for my Kansas-Utah "never plug in" tour. I had no trouble with the motor bar that I was doing it without a throttle, using only the cadence detector, and I had trouble getting moving on some hills (I was very overloaded).

On my current commuter, I am using a different mid-drive motor called a TSDZ2. However, I am about to add another ebike to the house for my daughter to use as a commuter. I am giving the Bikes Direct Motobecane Elite eAdventure a lot of thought. It is cheaper than the two you named and may be better suited for commuting. It comes down to what you want the bike to do.

Last edited by Robert C; 07-11-19 at 12:16 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-11-19, 03:01 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
Excellent analysis by RC. The Luna BBSHD will blow away the BD bike; probably it'll go 30 mph easily vs 20 mph for the constricted BD bike. However the BD bike (IMO) will be far superior off road, and in fact if you like to pedal, the $2700 model might be superior as some testers have opined. It's the one of the three that would appeal to me since almost all of my riding is off road. For commuting, the Luna will be faster and save you money.