Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

The other downside of losing that 3.5 mm audio jack...

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

The other downside of losing that 3.5 mm audio jack...

Old 05-10-19, 02:04 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6542 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 71 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
instead of lamenting it could be just that the xrb was one of the best viewing tv's you could have at that time.....and now in my viewing like an oled is today.....much like my liking an iphone and airpods for calls today rather than a cordless landline phone

i just looked up the weight of the xrb my family had and it was 222lbs vs 65lbs for my now oled….i do remember good bass too though…but then my oled is much easier to mount on my wall and with wonderful resolution and great sound.
Wow, 222 lbs... that was more than "2 men and a boy" lift... that required 3 guys. Those things were so front heavy it was almost dangerous to carry 'em. I don't think the one I had was that heavy... but it sure was awkward.
Old 06-12-19, 12:04 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 8236 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 203 Posts
It sounds like Samsung will drop the headphone jack from the Note 10.
Old 07-12-19, 10:56 AM
Seattle Forrest

FCC photos confirm Galaxy Note 10 won’t have a headphone jack

After years of resisting the trend, Samsung is ditching the 3.5mm jack
Old 07-12-19, 03:06 PM
genec
genec

Eh. Recently my 5 year old Samsung Galaxy S5 died.

Ordered a new one from Amazon. Moved my SIM and micro SD card in, restored my backup, from my laptop... and viola, good to go. 80 bucks.

So what is it these fancy new phones do... besides cost more, not fit in your pocket, and require you to buy lots of other gadgets, like headphones, that also need recharging?

I hear 5G is coming some day... but other than that???

Sorry folks, not impressed... and I worked in the industry for a number of years.
Old 07-12-19, 04:13 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Wife's new Pixel 3a has a jack
Old 07-12-19, 06:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2909 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 72 Posts
Solution simple: if it doesn't come with a 3.5 mm jack, don't buy it. For example, I'm not buying any new electronics e.g., drives, cameras, changers, mouse, keyboards, etc. that don't come with a USB C connector.

At this juncture, spending good money for anything below that would be like buying already obsolete tech.
Old 07-12-19, 06:38 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Solution simple: if it doesn't come with a 3.5 mm jack, don't buy it. For example, I'm not buying any new electronics e.g., drives, cameras, changers, mouse, keyboards, etc. that don't come with a USB C connector.

At this juncture, spending good money for anything below that would be like buying already obsolete tech.
Exactly!

Yet the lemmings believe they are getting some shiny new toy...
Old 07-12-19, 10:13 PM
Seattle Forrest

Why does it bother you so much that other people are making different choices than you are?
Old 07-13-19, 01:16 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Why does it bother you so much that other people are making different choices than you are?
Are they making choices? Or being limited by the lack of choice? Before the loss of the 3.5mm audio jack... one had the choice of wired or wireless headsets...
Old 07-13-19, 04:52 AM
KraneXL

Its not a question of being bothered, rather, of becoming a more informed consumer. Aren't you glad there are organizations and individuals that take the time to do the research to help you become a more educated consumer? I certainly am.
Old 07-13-19, 03:25 PM
noisebeam
Al

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 30 Posts
Unless at home best to keep BT off and use wired headphone only
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...g-privacy.html
Old 07-13-19, 07:13 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 68 Posts
I still have a nice radio with speaker membranes to listen to baseball games.

Marcia Brady rode a ROLLFAST!
Old 07-13-19, 10:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by genec View Post
Are they making choices? Or being limited by the lack of choice? Before the loss of the 3.5mm audio jack... one had the choice of wired or wireless headsets...
Yes. If you can't see that there are phones with and without CD ROMS I mean 3.5 mm jacks, and so many people are choosing ones without that it's not even cost effective to include them anymore ... then I'd better not take your advice in the future, at least about technology matters.
Old 07-13-19, 10:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
I'm about halfway through. How do these beacons work for positional accuracy (few mm claimed)? A phone can establish a BT connection with another device; it has a range of about 30 feet, and you can determine distance by signal strength. Are there many throughout the store, triangulating your position?

It's also not clear to me how the software and data exchange happen. There's spyware on every phone, that gives up data to grocery stores? Is it part of the O/S? Does it get covert installed somehow? By the phone maker? Through a Trojan horse? Can't we just disable it?
Old 07-13-19, 10:52 PM
Seattle Forrest

Ask and ye shall receive:
In order to track you or trigger an action like a coupon or message to your phone, companies need you to install an app on your phone that will recognize the beacon in the store. Retailers (like Target and Walmart) that use Bluetooth beacons typically build tracking into their own apps. But retailers want to make sure most of their customers can be tracked — not just the ones that download their own particular app.
So a hidden industry of third-party location-marketing firms has proliferated in response. These companies take their beacon tracking code and bundle it into a toolkit developers can use.
The makers of many popular apps, such as those for news or weather updates, insert these toolkits into their apps. They might be paid by the beacon companies or receive other benefits, like detailed reports on their users.
Location data companies often collect additional data provided by apps. A location company called Pulsate, for example, encourages app developers to pass them customer email addresses and names.
Companies like Reveal Mobile collect data from software development kits inside hundreds of frequently used apps. In the United States, another company, inMarket, covers 38 percent of millennial moms and about one-quarter of all smartphones, and tracks 50 million people each month. Other players have similar reach.

So this isn't universal, but you probably can't tell if this code is running on your phone or not.

I assume big, reputable companies with legitimate income streams don't do this. The Garmin app, for example.
Old 07-13-19, 10:58 PM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by noisebeam View Post
And last year, investigators at Quartz found that Google Android can track you using Bluetooth beacons even when you turn Bluetooth off in your phone.

Sounds like Apple is as bad, but they didn't get much into the details as they relate to this story.
Old 07-14-19, 12:39 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Boise Hawks won today! Of course the weather was threatening so I listened on my Pioneer.

Old 07-14-19, 01:40 AM
KraneXL

I'm about halfway through. How do these beacons work for positional accuracy (few mm claimed)? A phone can establish a BT connection with another device; it has a range of about 30 feet, and you can determine distance by signal strength. Are there many throughout the store, triangulating your position?

It's also not clear to me how the software and data exchange happen. There's spyware on every phone, that gives up data to grocery stores? Is it part of the O/S? Does it get covert installed somehow? By the phone maker? Through a Trojan horse? Can't we just disable it?
That's for them to know and you to never find out. Every time you go wireless you lose some of your privacy. That's why there's such a push to do so. But that convenience comes with a price...A HEAVY PRICE.

You know that automatic accident notification on your car? It also sends collision data back to the manufacture. They know how fast you were going before the crash. This intrusive surveillance is not rocket science SF. If they can, they will.
Old 07-14-19, 03:10 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Nobody knows that I'm listening to Hot Child In The City...

D'oh!

Old 07-15-19, 04:26 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
You know that automatic accident notification on your car? It also sends collision data back to the manufacture. They know how fast you were going before the crash.
???

The computers in the cars do record information but there’s no means to send it.
Old 07-15-19, 04:37 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by njkayaker View Post
???

The computers in the cars do record information but there’s no means to send it.

True, but those little insurance modules that some companies use to give you lower rates, are little cell phone transmitters.
As far as the automakers... when you bring your car in for repair, they download the data.

CAN bus is one of five protocols used in the on-board diagnostics (OBD)-II vehicle diagnostics standard. The OBD-II standard has been mandatory for all cars and light trucks sold in the United States since 1996.
Old 07-15-19, 05:19 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1720 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
True, but those little insurance modules that some companies use to give you lower rates, are little cell phone transmitters.
But people choose to use them voluntarily. Which isn’t what people were talking about.

As far as the automakers... when you bring your car in for repair, they download the data.
It should be obvious that, if data is recorded, it can be collected.

As I said, data is being recorded (I believe it’s a rather short time window).

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-15-19 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-15-19, 06:29 AM
KraneXL

There are quite a number of electronics that still use and rely on 3.5. My computer, powered speakers, DSLR and my digital recorder all rely on 3.5 for audio connectivity. Without 3.5 all studio quality headphones would also become obsolete.
Old 07-18-19, 06:48 AM
Deal4Fuji
Friction Fan

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '84 Team Fuji, '83 Raleigh Olympian, '87 Lotus Excelle, '85 Centurion Ironman, '12 Trek Alpha 1.1, '77 Schwinn Speedster, Schwinn Trailway, Ross Central Park

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 69 Posts
Oh golly, a whopping 34 incher that had the weight of a boat anchor at nearly 200 pounds, and took up 2 feet of depth in your living room, and ate up a whopping 300 watts of power.

On the plus side, it kept the room warm, and probably had decent sound, with its 15 watt audio system, and plenty of room for real speakers.

Bet it was great displaying the Yule Log video as it looked and felt like a big ole fireplace.
Originally Posted by Deal4Fuji View Post
We have an old Sony 36" (not sure of model #) that sounds a lot like your description, and it just won't die. It has excellent audio and I wonder if some of that extreme weight is from a downward-firing woofer somewhere in the belly of the beast. The front speaker areas on either side of the CRT don't seem large enough for the kind of bass we get.

It's not our main TV, and as much as I'd kind of like to see it die because it does take up so much room depth-wise, I dread having to carry that thing out of the house
The weight is more likely the huge glass picture tube, and perhaps a counterweight to keep the thing from tumbling forward. Yeah, I had a huge Sony at one point... took up a whole corner of one room. Fit nicely into the corner due to the shape of the box. Took "two men and a boy" to move the thing... it was awkwardly heavy, with the weight very "front forward."

I was quite impressed by our first 54 inch "flat screen" which was huge by comparison, and weighed less than a third as much... it is now "old tech" and I use it more as a 3rd monitor in my office, than as a TV. It lost 4 of it's 6 HDMI inputs in a freak static shock accident. I have an external HDMI switch on it for now... Not sure how much longer I'll keep it before upgrading to a 4K much "smarter" display. (I hesitate to use the term "TV" for something like this... it is so much more than the old box I stared at as a kid)
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
instead of lamenting it could be just that the xrb was one of the best viewing tv's you could have at that time.....and now in my viewing like an oled is today.....much like my liking an iphone and airpods for calls today rather than a cordless landline phone

i just looked up the weight of the xrb my family had and it was 222lbs vs 65lbs for my now oled….i do remember good sound too though…but then my oled is much easier to mount on my wall and with wonderful resolution and great sound.
The huge Sony TV died this week and the much dreaded job of getting it out of the house and to the landfill has been done. Being the "speaker nerd" I am I had to dig into it and see what kind of speakers were used for such good sound coming from those narrow speaker grills on either side of the large picture tube and surprisingly there was no woofer, just a pair of 5" full range speakers. The secret seemed to be in the design of the large sealed enclosure that wrapped around the picture tube making an audio pathway from the drivers that were actually located in the middle of the TV.

Being the nerd, I salvaged the two drivers and put them into some small speaker boxes I had saved from a smaller audio system. The holes didn't line up exactly but close enough that they fit almost perfectly with 4 drilled holes. They don't have quite the bass they did from Sony's great design, but they sound good enough to use as center channel speakers on the new flat screen replacement. I can now attest all the weight is in that huge picture tube, there is no counter-weight or woofer.

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 07-18-19 at 07:02 AM.
Old 07-18-19, 03:12 PM
genec
genec

Ahhh. Yes. "Ported sound," no doubt there were "ports" in the cabinet that allowed air to move in relation to the moving speaker cone. Bose and others used such ports to give "depth" to sound... something sorely missing in a flat screen TV.

Thank you for your sacrifice... to verify the weight issue of those monsters, as being primarily the glass tube. I guessed a counterweight for safety reasons. Guessed wrong. So much for safety.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.