Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bianchi Ocelot

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 09:50 PM
jrbnm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bianchi Ocelot

Hello!
I bought this bianchi ocelot in a thrift store 2-3 years ago and have been riding it ever since. I realized recently that I have no idea how old it is or how much it is worth. Some basic google searching didn't yield much, and I didn't see a single bike with the same logo that mine has. I would love to know its exact year. I have of course added some things and changed out the tires, this is my daily commute bike and thus is customized for my practicality. The stickers are to make it less appealing to thieves. Photos are attached, but the bike is black and the logo is blue outlined block letters with pink zig-zag behind it plus some purple smokey looking stuff. On the post below the handle bars there's another logo that is an eagle or something in pink and purple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20170913_201819.jpg (97.3 KB, 272 views)
IMG_20170913_201811 (1).jpg (91.2 KB, 266 views)
IMG_20170913_201744.jpg (86.2 KB, 261 views)
Old 09-14-17, 05:42 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That decal style was used in 1990 and 1991. Your colour option isn't mentioned in my 1991 catalogue, so it should be the 1990 model. The serial number may provide more clues. The Ocelot was Bianchi's bottom of the line ATB and had an MSRP of $300 US. While the stickers may help to detract thieves, they also devalue the bicycle. I'd place the current value at $80-$100.
Old 09-14-17, 08:34 PM
jrbnm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
That decal style was used in 1990 and 1991. Your colour option isn't mentioned in my 1991 catalogue, so it should be the 1990 model. The serial number may provide more clues. The Ocelot was Bianchi's bottom of the line ATB and had an MSRP of $300 US. While the stickers may help to detract thieves, they also devalue the bicycle. I'd place the current value at $80-$100.
Thank you! Good thing I'm not really looking to sell it. Very interesting to know, I could only find Bianchi's as old as 1993.
Old 09-15-17, 05:19 AM
T-Mar

What is the serial number?
Old 09-15-17, 06:32 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by jrbnm
Thank you! Good thing I'm not really looking to sell it. Very interesting to know, I could only find Bianchi's as old as 1993.

Most bikes built before Al Gore invented the internet are only on the internet because of the passion and skill of someone who loves the brand.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-11-19, 02:55 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
1999 Bianchi Ocelot

Hello!
I bought this bianchi ocelot in a thrift store 2-3 years ago and have been riding it ever since. I realized recently that I have no idea how old it is or how much it is worth. Some basic google searching didn't yield much, and I didn't see a single bike with the same logo that mine has. I would love to know its exact year. I have of course added some things and changed out the tires, this is my daily commute bike and thus is customized for my practicality. The stickers are to make it less appealing to thieves. Photos are attached, but the bike is black and the logo is blue outlined block letters with pink zig-zag behind it plus some purple smokey looking stuff. On the post below the handle bars there's another logo that is an eagle or something in pink and purple.
Hey "JRBMN", Just curious how that Bianchi rides? I'm looking at getting a guys model for banging around the trails vice using my trainer road bike "converted" for cross riding. I'm looking at a 1999 that appears to have been garaged 19.75 years of the last 20 years as it is in excellent condition. The seller describes it as "a professionally built custom UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle)... high performance ATB... indestructible bottom bracket (until it breaks anyways)". I guess it's custom made for department stores, since that's about what my impression is, but if it'll take my abuse then that's fine. It's got a mix of Asian parts, Campy Rims, and what not. I only ride road bikes with the exception of my 3 speeds so no ATB/MTB experiences. Seller is asking $300; I'm not even close, offering $150, size may be an issue at 48.5cm (approx.).
Anyone with knowledge of this ride, and would better components help it out any? It has steel frame/fork, Nitto bars and stem (hate the stem, look and function), Sun Tour X1 triple cranks (2 alloy rings and one stainless?, I thinks it needs a bigger large ring?), mix of Shimano: Dura-Ace front hub, 105 rear hub, HG cassette (7 spd), Acera RD & FD and Canti brakes with 105 levers, BB, barcons (plus!), weird Shimano pedals (to me!) with platform on one side and SPD on the other, certainly versatile, but that makes me think of it more as a commuter than a trail bike. Not familiar with the Acera shifting system, nor most Shimano components. Bike listed on CL Florida as "Custom Bianchi Ocelot ATB"
Old 07-11-19, 06:52 AM
T-Mar

The Ocelot utilized the same geometry as all the other Bianchi ATB of the era. It's fairly typical of an ATB of the era but decidedly restrained compared to a road bicycle. Obviously, being an entry level model there are cost concessions. The big factor is weight, with a plain gauge main triangle and hi-tensile steel elsewhere. This one have been extensively frankenbiked. The wheels or at least the hubs are an upgrade, so that should eliminate some weight. The Shimano Acera derailleurs are entry level but give away nothing to higher end Shimano in terms of performance. It should make a good commuter, gravel bicycle or light trail bicycle. Regarding size, ATB frames typically have lower stand over heights. A 48.5cm ATB frame would typically be appropriate for somebody who normally rides a 56-59cm road frame.
Old 07-11-19, 09:12 AM
jrbnm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Hey "JRBMN", Just curious how that Bianchi rides? I'm looking at getting a guys model for banging around the trails vice using my trainer road bike "converted" for cross riding. I'm looking at a 1999 that appears to have been garaged 19.75 years of the last 20 years as it is in excellent condition. The seller describes it as "a professionally built custom UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle)... high performance ATB... indestructible bottom bracket (until it breaks anyways)". I guess it's custom made for department stores, since that's about what my impression is, but if it'll take my abuse then that's fine. It's got a mix of Asian parts, Campy Rims, and what not. I only ride road bikes with the exception of my 3 speeds so no ATB/MTB experiences. Seller is asking $300; I'm not even close, offering $150, size may be an issue at 48.5cm (approx.).
Anyone with knowledge of this ride, and would better components help it out any? It has steel frame/fork, Nitto bars and stem (hate the stem, look and function), Sun Tour X1 triple cranks (2 alloy rings and one stainless?, I thinks it needs a bigger large ring?), mix of Shimano: Dura-Ace front hub, 105 rear hub, HG cassette (7 spd), Acera RD & FD and Canti brakes with 105 levers, BB, barcons (plus!), weird Shimano pedals (to me!) with platform on one side and SPD on the other, certainly versatile, but that makes me think of it more as a commuter than a trail bike. Not familiar with the Acera shifting system, nor most Shimano components. Bike listed on CL Florida as "Custom Bianchi Ocelot ATB"
As for mine specifically I'd say it was perfect as a down and dirty commuter bike, but I wouldn't take it on a serious mountain biking trail. It served me really well on the streets of Seattle, and it was great that I could go over rough and broken pavement or into dirt. It's a lot slower than any of the street bikes with skinny wheels I saw other people with, but I was able to handle surprises and irregularities better. I certainly wouldn't pay $300 for that, I think you're right to bargain down. Good luck.
Old 07-12-19, 12:36 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bianchi Ocelot Review

As for mine specifically I'd say it was perfect as a down and dirty commuter bike, but I wouldn't take it on a serious mountain biking trail. It served me really well on the streets of Seattle, and it was great that I could go over rough and broken pavement or into dirt. It's a lot slower than any of the street bikes with skinny wheels I saw other people with, but I was able to handle surprises and irregularities better. I certainly wouldn't pay $300 for that, I think you're right to bargain down. Good luck.
Thanks for the personal review. It's probably perfect for what I want it for, and would keep me from beating up, and having to clean up my road trainer and put regular (for me) tires back on it. I won't be on any type of mountain terrain (Florida flatlands primarily), just grassy, packed dirt, semi-soft dirt trails with some minor roots; I dismount for the tree trunks, bridges, and what not. my only issue with it other than the price is the sizing, which T-Mar suggests is larger than what I'm normally riding for older road bikes measured at seat post C-C. I'm 5'7" and ride between 50cm to 57cm, but primarily 51cm to 54cm. I definitely want a smaller frame for cross riding, this frame described as 19" C-T. Not being familiar with the geometry of these frames (ATB/MTB) in general makes it hard to determine if it will be a fit for my purposes; I could fit it no problem for road use, but that's not it's intended use. I hate to say it, but if I get that frame it's going to get scratched up for the first time since I nearly almost wipe-out every time I hit the trails, probably from using an ill equipped bike for the task (Look road pedals, DT friction shifters, road gearing, tires, etc.); but I regularly do a bunch of road miles to get to the trail and back so wanted to keep a general road set-up except running 30mm tires for the off-road sections.
Old 07-12-19, 12:50 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Ocelot/ATB frame sizing

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The Ocelot utilized the same geometry as all the other Bianchi ATB of the era. It's fairly typical of an ATB of the era but decidedly restrained compared to a road bicycle. Obviously, being an entry level model there are cost concessions. The big factor is weight, with a plain gauge main triangle and hi-tensile steel elsewhere. This one have been extensively frankenbiked. The wheels or at least the hubs are an upgrade, so that should eliminate some weight. The Shimano Acera derailleurs are entry level but give away nothing to higher end Shimano in terms of performance. It should make a good commuter, gravel bicycle or light trail bicycle. Regarding size, ATB frames typically have lower stand over heights. A 48.5cm ATB frame would typically be appropriate for somebody who normally rides a 56-59cm road frame.
T-Mar, thanks for the sizing info; I'll get a test ride on it if I'm still interested, but it's sounding like, from your knowledge, this frame might be larger than what I would want if buying specifically for general off-road usage. I've only ridden one MTB (mid 80's Cannondale rigid frame), but it was outfitted differently and used on an actual "mountain" course in New England, and even then only once (lots of crashing!). I'm not concerned about the weight; I ride my Raleigh Sports through the trails so anything else feels like a super-light to me. I tend to use the trails as "fake hill" climbing training since my legs don't do too well when going from Florida to England topography without having gotten some "climbing" under my belt and the trail keeps me out of the saddle 50% of the time.
I'm assuming that the D-A and Campy component are upgrades with the Acera as stock. The rims are Campy Atek (28 hole front w/D-A hub) and Mirox (32 hole w/105 hub). Does this set-up/upgrade justify the price for a '99 frame of that ilk?
Old 07-14-19, 10:00 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,926 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
It is weird to compare the two since they are so different. The '90 has a steel frame while the '99 is an alloy from so the OP's ride quality will have little bearing on the ride of the bike your looking at.

There is no pic but non of the components seem to match on bikepedia, or the catalog. So if the bike was garaged for 19.75 of 20 years whats with all the changes? Any pics of the bike in question?

https://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/...spx?item=83726

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 07-15-19, 01:47 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Ocelot

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
It is weird to compare the two since they are so different. The '90 has a steel frame while the '99 is an alloy from so the OP's ride quality will have little bearing on the ride of the bike your looking at.

There is no pic but non of the components seem to match on bikepedia, or the catalog. So if the bike was garaged for 19.75 of 20 years whats with all the changes? Any pics of the bike in question?

I have yet to check out this bike. I do realize that it is different from the OP's ride; mostly trying to get a general idea since this would not be a primary or long distance ride for me; and size for my usage will be a priority. It states that it's a Cro-Mo frame and fork (I can see the fork decal, not the frame), 1999 model; that's based on the sellers knowledge, not mine. Do you think the year is wrong for the model build. I have no prior knowledge of these bikes.
Ad follows:
"A professionally custom built UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle); a mountain bike in cyclo-cross form. An extremely versatile, able, durable, hi-performance ATB in NEW condition. This is a True go-anywhere, ride all day bike. Just throw a set of knobbie tires on it for off-road use. Though bike was built in '99, it's seen almost no use. Not a scratch. Zero sunburn. 99% preserved. A fine, capable steed that will faithfully serve your transportation needs at a high level while standing up to hard use. Fresh marine grease in hubs & headset." Frame: Tig welded Chromoly butted.
Fork: Unicrown Cromo
Size: 19" center to top
Stand Over Height: 30"
Bottom Bracket Height: 11.5"
Wheelbase: 41.5"
Seat: Bianchi Comfort
Stem: Nitto raised 10cm
Bars: Nitto 18" width w/ Cinelli cork tape.
Headset: Ritchey Logic
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN72 sealed 115 width (Indestructible)
Cranks: Suntour X1 110/74 bolt pattern, 26 (stainless steel Ninja)/36/46t alloy chainrings
Cassette: Shimano Hyper Glide 7 - 12-14-16-18-21-24-28
Chain: Sachs Sedis
Shifters: Shimano Indexed Bar-Cons
Derailleurs: Shimano AceraX
Pedals: Shimano platform/SPD
Wheels: Front; 28 hole Shimano Dura-Ace hub, 15g DT Swiss Spokes w/brass nipples, 3x pattern, Campy Atek aero rim.
Rear; 32 hole Shimano 105 hub with 135 axle kit, 14g DT Swiss spokes w/ brass nipples, 3x pattern, Campy Mirox rim
Tires: Cheng Shin 917 26x1.5 hi-pressure road
Brakes: Shimano Acera Cantilever
Levers: Shimano 105 Aero road
2-alloy WB cages
Frame Pump: Zefal 3
Weight; 27 pounds
Attached Images
1999 Ocelot.jpg (1.3 KB, 147 views)
Old 07-15-19, 09:51 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bianchi Ocelot

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll

Thanks Bianchigirl; you're making me take a closer look at this bike and the stock version. I've not been able to find a similar frame per the catalogue based on the components, frame, color, and/or year; but 1999 would be a close match if an alloy frame, 1999 color was "blinding blue". the only other "blue" models I found were in '95-"bright blue", and '97-"pearl blue". If it's a '99, then they must had had an extra CroMo frame hanging around (or seller assumes fork decal applies to entire frame); like you stated, the catalogue specs an alloy frame, but Cro-Mo fork. 1999 was the first year spec'd as a butted alloy frame. This bike would never have had the drop bars w/barcons from what I can tell, but as you mentioned why all the changing of the parts if it was never really ridden with, it would appear, the original or refit components. By the photo I can see no frame damage or marks to any degree that would show anything but light usage (bar wrap has a little fade, some minor chafing of the saddle on the visible side). The cassette sprockets appear new, I can't see a spec of grit/grease/dirt on them. What is original to this bike!? I guess all the new parts is the "professionally custom built" part of the description, and the reason for the pricing; retail on these when new was $300-350. I probably thought of this as a road/cross "cross-over" when I saw the cockpit set-up, which would work for me since I'd be doing a fair amount of road mileage and the trails are easy enough with drops since I've been riding the road trainer on them (but with DT shifters, not barcons); only did a tire change to keep from sinking into the softer turf. Guess I'll have to take the trip and see if the thing fits me, and see if I can get the price down; it's been listed for a couple months and I'm in no rush for it at the asking $. Any knowledge with those Campy rims? Curious as to why 2 different models were used, other than the spoke count. I notice that the front rim has no reinforcement eyelets, I guess better for a front than rear in that case, but I'd have gone with the rear style on the front also; still I have no experience with these rim models. Thanks for your time and feedback.

With respect,