Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stuck Rear Derailleur Adjuster

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-15-19, 11:19 AM
MitchW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The adjuster on my Shimano 9 speed 105 rear derailleur won't slide so that I can adjust the cable. Before I start prying with a screwdriver is there a way to free it up?

Mitch
Old 07-15-19, 11:52 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
What adjuster won't slide?
Old 07-15-19, 11:59 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
I assume you mean the barrel adjuster into which the cable housing is seated on the derailleur.

This is common on older bikes. It is either caused by corrosion of the threads (this is a steel adjuster threaded into an aluminum derailleur body, so galvanic corrosion is possible), or because it was screwed in all the way and is now tight against the derailleur. The only way I know to fix it, in both cases, is to grab the barrel adjuster with some stout pliers and twist it out. This usually works. It might help to put a few drops of penetrating oil into the bottom of the hole where the cable comes out so it can soak into the threads.

These parts are also pretty easy to find replacements if it gets badly damaged during removal. The threads in the derailleur are usually a common size so you could pull anew barrel adjuster off a BSO you find in the dumpster. Maybe put some grease on the threads when you put the new one in to prevent corrosion.

Finally, if it is stuck beyond retrieval, you can get 'inline cable adjusters' that do the same thing but you can decide what location on the cable to put it when you change cables.