Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giving up Ti and going back to carbon

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giving up Ti and going back to carbon

Old 07-15-19, 01:57 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
If titanium is good and carbon is also good, then titanium frame + carbon fork = double good, no?
Old 07-15-19, 03:33 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Correct.

And how do you know what I paid?

Well...are you going to elaborate on the Litespeed comment? Engin versus Litespeed...discuss.
Old 07-15-19, 05:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat

And I'm also wondering how many of those TdF entires are running Titanium frames.
-Matt
Not nearly the same margin available with Ti for the sponsor manufacturers... ie. low ROI = death
Old 07-15-19, 05:11 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Probably cost: it would probably be cost inefficient to design and make a Ti fork that would look right on a modern bike. Carbon fork would be much cheaper. Just look how expensive some Ti seatposts are as options.
It's cost effective to make a ti frame, but not a fork?
Old 07-15-19, 06:09 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi

So as much as I love Ti I am back to carbon.

But why? You're not a pro so it really doesn't matter, right? Haven't you said that a few times already?
Old 07-15-19, 06:09 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
when did you turn pro, and get sponsored?

Ahhhh. Beat me to it so badly.
Old 07-15-19, 07:10 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not nearly the same margin available with Ti for the sponsor manufacturers... ie. low ROI = death
It was a rhetorical question in response to the statement that titanium was clearly superior to carbon. If titanium was so superior, you’d think someone would have applied that superiority to a racing frame.

The OP probably did not mean clearly superior in a race setting. I probably assumed that from the statement about the carbon frame failures at the Tour.

Titanium may may well be superior in some applications. It’s pretty clean that for many, many people, carbon is clearly superior.

-Matt
Old 07-15-19, 08:01 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

It was a rhetorical question in response to the statement that titanium was clearly superior to carbon. If titanium was so superior, you’d think someone would have applied that superiority to a racing frame.

The OP probably did not mean clearly superior in a race setting. I probably assumed that from the statement about the carbon frame failures at the Tour.

Titanium may may well be superior in some applications. It’s pretty clean that for many, many people, carbon is clearly superior.

-Matt
I got nothing against carbon as I said earlier. If you are pro and sponsored and you fall over and the carbon shatters like glass, it’s a quick bike swap with the team car.

We all know titanium can be as light as carbon, and perfectly fine in a race situation. Litespeeds history in the tour is set in stone.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cyc...tex-311140/amp

But why does it matter if all the pros are using carbon you ain’t no pro.
Old 07-15-19, 08:12 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts

We all know titanium can be as light as carbon, and perfectly fine in a race situation. Litespeeds history in the tour is set in stone.
please show me one of the 850g titanium frames.
Old 07-15-19, 08:16 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Confirmation bias is fun.
Likes For seau grateau:
Old 07-15-19, 09:24 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
I got nothing against carbon as I said earlier. If you are pro and sponsored and you fall over and the carbon shatters like glass, it’s a quick bike swap with the team car.

But why does it matter if all the pros are using carbon you ain’t no pro.
I like carbon bikes because they’re light and comfortable. I literally could not care less what pros are riding.

I might also like titanium bikes if I were to ever try one. But I don’t think I can justify the extra cost. For me, that makes carbon clearly superior.

-Matt
Old 07-15-19, 10:49 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

I like carbon bikes because they’re light and comfortable. I literally could not care less what pros are riding.

I might also like titanium bikes if I were to ever try one. But I don’t think I can justify the extra cost. For me, that makes carbon clearly superior.

-Matt
Well then we see eye to eye because I can’t justify the cost of staying Ti when I can get a carbon road bike with full Ultegra disc for about $1500 cheaper than a titanium bike with the same specs.

Last edited by MyTi; 07-15-19 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 11:05 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Confirmation bias is fun.
+1

I'm just busting the OP's chops here. Titanium is a great material for bicycle frames, but it has it's drawbacks(just like all other frame materials).

#Beryllium

Last edited by noodle soup; 07-15-19 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 11:08 PM
SCTinkering

Bikes: 2020 T-Lab X-3 w/GRX Di2, 2018 Trek FX-5S with GRX/Xt 1x drive train

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 25 Posts
All frames will fail eventually, well except for that cast iron univega I had about 20 years ago. You have to get them inspected. In the case of Ti the correct way to do it is to strip the frame of all parts and send it out for Non-Destructive Inspection (NDI) aka get it x-ray'd. It's the only way to really inspect the welds. If the welds are good then you're good to go. Pain in the ass to do? Yes. Cheap? Nope, but do you want to end up like the person with the busted weld further up the thread? I'd go with no, but these days everyone has their own thing...
Old 07-16-19, 12:29 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
Just wait until the frame cracks (could well have already happened, have you checked you bottom bracket welds today?), and ask them for an upgrade.
Old 07-16-19, 01:34 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Originally Posted by znomit
Just wait until the frame cracks (could well have already happened, have you checked you bottom bracket welds today?), and ask them for an upgrade.

I've seen threads with cracked ti frames from poor welds. My bike has none of that thankfully. Any material can fail especially steel, aluminum, or Ti that wasn't welded right. Seeing that I got my votex second hand, if the welds were poor I would of thought it would of shown itself by now..I mean it is a 14 year old bike that I've ridden regularly for the past 2 years.

Any way same can be said for carbon. That little scratch you got on your carbonframe when you fell, could be a serious stress fracture/crack, and the only way you would know is if you got some kind of X-ray. In fact if your carbon bike is painted those micro fractures could be hidden by the paint.
Likes For MyTi:
Old 07-16-19, 03:53 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
How long has the OP been riding in the fog/moisture around SF/NorCal?
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-16-19, 04:31 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Does your Vortex have a 1” fork steerer or a 1-1/8” fork steerer? If it is the 1-1/8” one you may well be able to get a disc fork and convert it to a mongrel front disc caliper, rear rim brake setup.

For a budget conversion of your rear triangle to disc, they do make inexpensive adapter plates that permit mounting of disc calipers to rear triangles of bikes not designed for disc. There is an “RJ The Bike Guy” YouTube video where he does this conversion on an inexpensive mountain bike. Crude but effective.

Your Vortex rear stays being shaped as they are and made from difficult to drill titanium would be best left to a shop/builder that works in titanium. There have been threads dealing with cold setting titanium rear triangles to handle wider rear hubs on the framebuilder’s forum - again (from what I have read) working with titanium to predictably bend it requires an expert.

Have you checked with Litespeed? AFAIK they are still building titanium bikes in the USA (separate from Lynskey). They may have a solution for you. A couple of our club members here in Dayton have titanium bikes from the “new” Litespeed and they are stunning.

The snarky remarks that that folks seem to make on the road forum compared to the more rigorous discussions I’m used to on the classic & vintage forum does a disservice to your original query. I wish folks would stay on topic a little better...
Old 07-16-19, 04:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
The snarky remarks that that folks seem to make on the road forum compared to the more rigorous discussions I’m used to on the classic & vintage forum does a disservice to your original query. I wish folks would stay on topic a little better...
Sounds good... but re-read the OP thread starter. I don't think there was any query whatsoever. In turn, this will typically always lead to thread going wherever it wants to go.
Old 07-16-19, 05:22 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Well...are you going to elaborate on the Litespeed comment? Engin versus Litespeed...discuss.
If you need an explanation you won't understand.
Old 07-16-19, 06:05 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Sounds good... but re-read the OP thread starter. I don't think there was any query whatsoever. In turn, this will typically always lead to thread going wherever it wants to go.
Agree. It wasn't a query at all. More of an announcement like "I'm switching to a different brand of cat food for my cat." There was really no need for the thread.

Last edited by seypat; 07-16-19 at 06:22 AM.
Likes For seypat:
Old 07-16-19, 06:20 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
I really like my Litespeed titanium road bike but to properly convert it to disc brakes it would cost a fortune. Basically $1100 to get the disc tabs welded in the rear, remove the original brake studs, and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. Then it would cost me probably around $300 for shipping, and probably another $600 for an Enve carbon road bike disc brake fork. Then on top of that I'd still need to change my group to a disc brake group...and to keep things budget I'd probably settle on a 105 disc brake group which is another $600.

So total cost to convert an old Litespeed Ti road bike to disc...$2600...lol and who knows how good those welds are gonna be. I'm sure it'll be fine but who knows a lot can go wrong I guess.

I can easily get a carbon bike with a full Ultegra disc groupset, thru axles, all the bells and whistles, etc. easily for less than the cost of that modification/upgrade.

Unfortunately a new disc brake ti bike equivalent to my current Litespeed is going to cost around $6k with a good group. Just can't justify spending over $3k and up on a bike however.

So as much as I love Ti I am back to carbon.
Did you ever really love Ti?
Or did you just love the fact that it was something other than carbon fiber
And if you loved Ti what would you call your newfound(and as yet unexplained)attraction to disc brakes?
Infatuation? Idolatry?
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-16-19, 06:25 AM
seypat

https://litespeed.com/collections/closeouts

There might be a deal there somewhere.
Old 07-16-19, 07:04 AM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Soo... Carbon is nice but expensive, Titanium is nice but expensive, what about aluminum? I went down the same route, really wanting a disc brake road bike with nice carbon rims. I ended up building a full bike out of this Emonda ALR Disc frameset:

Here's a link to it

It's one grand and weighs 1131g for a medium.

My other bike is a rim brake 2016 Specialized Tarmac (full carbon frame) and I find them indistinguishable.

I actually find it a bit crazy to pay 5grand+ JUST FOR A FRAMESET from Litespeed like their T1sl (literally their top model) that weighs in at 1169g for their medium disc variant.

Last edited by firebird854; 07-16-19 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-16-19, 07:22 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by firebird854
Soo... Carbon is nice but expensive, Titanium is nice but expensive, what about aluminum? I went down the same route, really wanting a disc brake road bike with nice carbon rims. I ended up building a full bike out of this Emonda ALR Disc frameset:

Here's a link to it

It's one grand and weighs 1131g for a medium.

My other bike is a rim brake 2016 Specialized Tarmac (full carbon frame) and I find them indistinguishable.

I actually find it a bit crazy to pay 5grand+ JUST FOR A FRAMESET from Litespeed like their T1sl (literally their top model) that weighs in at 1169g for their medium disc variant.
That looks good.........But Aluminum bikes aren't as cool as CF or Ti. You can't brag about them at the office watercooler. That's the real issue with Al. Maybe if you pronounce aluminum like the Europeans do, people will listen to you. Otherwise, people will tune you out.

Last edited by seypat; 07-16-19 at 07:25 AM.
Likes For seypat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.