Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Would you Camp with a Homeless Person if he or She have a good Stealth Camping Spot?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Would you Camp with a Homeless Person if he or She have a good Stealth Camping Spot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-15, 06:06 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Generally I am way more likely to wild camp without stealth, but I have shared a a wild camp with a homeless person. When I have actually stealth camped I have never seen anyone else while I was in camp.

BTW, there sometimes there is a fine line between bike tourist and homeless guy on a bike. I have met a fair number who straddle that line whose company I enjoyed.
Old 08-24-15, 06:19 AM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3394 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
First off I would never stealth camp. If I did it I certainly would not do it anywhere near a large city let alone homeless people. Cities have crime, crime gravitates to areas that would otherwise make an attractive stealth campsite.

In addition, lots of homeless people have mental and drug issues. Not saying they are all dangerous, it is just some can be.

If you can't afford a room while going through a city or can't afford a warmshowers host then keep moving or find another route.
Old 08-24-15, 07:56 AM
pamaguahiker 

Bikes: 2014 VeloOrange Campeur. late 90s Bianchi Cyclocross cro-mo frameset modified to touring, 1993 Bianchi Project 5, 80s Holdsworth Gemini Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I had a camera stolen from me once when camping near some deadhead followers and this was in the woods. From my early college days to now, i tend to shy away from cities and others unless it is a state park campground. I will ride 5 more miles up the road to duck into the woods and camp rather than be around others, homeless or otherwise.

Interesting stealth spots for me: If you are up for it and not disrespectful. I have bivy'd in the back of multiple cemetaries on the edge furthest from humans and almost always near the woods. No one bothers you there. I had a caretaker once offer me the inside of the church and I declined and asked him if he minded me catching the far back near the woods. He was fine with it.

A few pavilions on the edge of towns. No problems. But seriously, I would find a place anywhere away from mainstream and definitely not in cities for me.
Old 08-24-15, 08:23 AM
SurlyLHT26in08
Banned.

Bikes: Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I agree with MassiveD. I think the OPs intention is an open invitation to share a real nice looking campsite.

I am homeless by choice since 11/2008 I have 2 very good Stealth Camping and 1 spot in Pacific Beach, CA in
San Diego, California and 1 spot in Vista, CA and I would be open to let some camp with me
Old 08-24-15, 06:10 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbud
I agree with MassiveD. I think the OPs intention is an open invitation to share a real nice looking campsite.
It is a nice-looking campsite, but it is too small for 2 tents. Oh sure, there's room to put up 2 tents, I just don't like camping that close to anyone.
Old 08-24-15, 06:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by BigAura
I tend to wild-camp more than stealth but no matter what I always try a find a location where I'll cause as close to zero impact as possible. It looks like the OP's spot is one I'd choose but more than likely if stumbled upon while occupied I'd move on.

Here's my camp site from this spring:

Nicolet National Forest

Now this site looks like it might potentially have room for 2 tents.
Old 08-24-15, 07:51 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
On a car-camping trip thru Colorado I wound up in mountains near Aspen, at night, with only fumes in the gas tank. This was pre-GPS. Found a nice free camp area & next morning hitched a ride into town to get gas. Got a ride from an old hippie-type guy with a Toyota minivan. Turns out he lived in the vehicle & also worked at an Aspen gas station. Aspen & environs are notorious for workers not being able to afford housing; many stay in tents during the summer. Guy was very friendly, took me & buddy on a short tour of the local mtn areas, pointing out the old mining camps 'n stuff. His minivan was quite tidy, he had built a wooden sleep platform inside. Gave him a tip for the help.

Turns out that I could have just rolled downhill into town but was an interesting experience.
Old 08-24-15, 10:51 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-t-shirts.html

Aside from the fact that I would prefer not to camp near pretty much anyone ... this right here is why I would likely keep moving if I happened upon the OP's site. I don't need the drama.
Old 08-25-15, 06:08 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by Machka
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/10...-t-shirts.html

Aside from the fact that I would prefer not to camp near pretty much anyone ... this right here is why I would likely keep moving if I happened upon the OP's site. I don't need the drama.
I might actually stay if I knew it was him because I am kind of curious after reading his threads here and over on the Crazy Guy site (especially on cgoab). I guess that I am naturally curious about a homeless guy who buys $200+ platform pedals, expensive sunglasses, and the like. I'd at least stop and chat for a while if he was open to that.
Old 08-25-15, 07:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
And yet he has so much distain for Neil: "and I do not what to look like a rich yuppie and I don't talking to rich yuppies like Neil G at crazyguyonabike!!!!!"
Old 08-25-15, 10:00 AM
staehpj1

It looks like a bunch of the OPs posts and all of his sock puppet's posts are gone. Is he still around?
Old 08-26-15, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,543 Times in 7,329 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
It looks like a bunch of the OPs posts and all of his sock puppet's posts are gone. Is he still around?
I reported him after yesterday's nonsense. No mention of him being banned yet. Let's hope it happens. But even if it does, I have a feeling he will be back.
Old 08-26-15, 10:18 AM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I reported him after yesterday's nonsense. No mention of him being banned yet. Let's hope it happens. But even if it does, I have a feeling he will be back.
I am still here and I reported you for being a bloody troll to me and grow up and get a live!!! and leave me alone and I am no longer homeless and I rent a room in Riverside and I am bipolar with Schizophrenia and on meds and I am SurlyLHT26in08
Old 08-26-15, 11:44 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
MOD NOTE: The multiple account situation has been discussed and resolved. Please let that go. Also, please remember that forum guidelines will be enforced.
Old 08-26-15, 12:01 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Note the SurlyLHT26in08 is banned

And How i report trolls
Old 08-26-15, 12:34 PM
Biketouringhobo
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
MOD NOTE: The multiple account situation has been discussed and resolved. Please let that go. Also, please remember that forum guidelines will be enforced.
please lock this post for a troll Indyfabz and timdow! and you banned SurlyLHT26in08 on 9-25

and I did not join this from to troll or get trolled by members and I had that on crazyguyonabike!
and I am here to learn
Old 08-26-15, 12:53 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketouringhobo
please lock this post for a troll Indyfabz and timdow! and you banned SurlyLHT26in08 on 9-25

and I did not join this from to troll or get trolled by members and I had that on crazyguyonabike!
and I am here to learn
The most effective way to report a post is to click the triangle button with the exclamation point in the middle. That will sent a report to the mod team.

And with that, I think this whole thread has gone far enough. Closing.