Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 10-13-16, 10:15 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
there are plenty of good wheelbuilders in Canada and in the US as well. Companies like sta-true would fix him up within a week ... just saying
"Within a week" means he would have to start producing bicycles for people. That's not gonna happen.
Old 10-13-16, 01:56 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ThorUSA
there are plenty of good wheelbuilders in Canada and in the US as well. Companies like sta-true would fix him up within a week ... just saying
Ah, OK, I am ignorant about what exists over there... Perhaps the hubs that are already here would be dealt in that way. The front wheels are built in Asia due to custom lefty hubs built by Formula. Not sure about the rears. Formula also supply the 10-sp rear hubs so it makes sense that these also will be built at the same time. Maybe just the Alfine wheels will be built in Canads.
Old 10-13-16, 02:43 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yeah but its real cheap to sent hubs over here.... rims and spokes are plentiful here in the US
shipping complete wheels is expensive from Taiwan... but he does have enough money I assume ..

Its relatively easy ... purchase the hubs from Formula, have them send to Sta True ( as an example ) or somebody like them in Canada ( like Cycle Lambert, or procycle ) tell them what spokes and what rims and they built the wheels ...

:-)
Old 10-14-16, 04:23 AM
Rick Imby

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I wonder what the Burn rate for the company is...

It does not take long to run through a lot of money running a company when it is not producing anything.

Big Money upfront for starting a business can often cause a higher burn rate.

Major changes in direction from Welded to Glued back to Welded scare me also.

It would not be all that expensive to ship wheels from Asia. You could easily get 1000 to 1500 wheels in a 40 foot container---my guess---and that is about $4k to $10k for shipping. I don't know about Duty however.

You can get right at 300 Mountain bicycles in a 40 foot container---that is my baseline for size.
Old 10-14-16, 12:04 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
My last 40' container costed $3500 including truck delivery ( in NC ).

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 10-14-16, 09:50 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Costed??
Old 10-15-16, 08:25 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I have gotten a few containers through the port of Seattle. It seems like there are so many added fees. I don't remember exactly what the total was but I am also 400 miles from the port and shipping to here was included. $3500 seems pretty good.
Old 10-15-16, 11:41 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick Imby
$3500 seems pretty good.
In 13 years I don't recall ever paying under $4500. $3500 including fees and trucking is a bargain!

Thanks
Yan
Old 10-15-16, 11:51 AM
harlond

Bikes: Torelli Titanio; Serotta Atlanta Concept; Specialized Rockhopper, Raleigh Twenty, Velo Orange Polyvalent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm not a backer, but if I was, I think I'd be angry because it seems like he delayed delivery for a very long time while using the backers' money to fund development of intellectual property and pay lawyers for patent applications. Was any of that in the Kickstarter presentation?

Seems like he could have built and delivered the bikes sooner simply by foregoing his IP goals and not turning his backers into unwitting and unrewarded venture capitalists.
Old 10-15-16, 03:48 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Costed??
I'm sorry but,... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 10-15-16, 04:46 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Originally Posted by harlond
I'm not a backer, but if I was, I think I'd be angry because it seems like he delayed delivery for a very long time while using the backers' money to fund development of intellectual property and pay lawyers for patent applications. Was any of that in the Kickstarter presentation?

Seems like he could have built and delivered the bikes sooner simply by foregoing his IP goals and not turning his backers into unwitting and unrewarded venture capitalists.
That dude's talent is taking peoples' money and buying a girlfriend with it. I'm kinda pissed I never thought of trying that!
Old 10-15-16, 09:17 PM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
joe
i hear you ..lol but the good thing is we can sleep at night
that is worth maybe more than just being rich

:-)
Old 10-17-16, 08:30 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by harlond
I'm not a backer, but if I was,...
...and I did not eventually end up with a functional and amazing Ti bike, I would shrug it off as a bad investment and move on with my life. Kickstarter is not ebay, amazon, alibaba, or online shopping, it's taking a risk with some promised investment payout.

If I wanted a Ti folder, I'd get one currently in production. If I wanted THAT design, I would certainly be disappointed, but at this stage, I'd be hopeful that the intellectual property would be sold and that someone would make it a reality.

If I was just some piker looking for a deal on Ti folding bike, meh, I might get angry, or I might shrug and think to myself, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is..."
Old 10-18-16, 09:23 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Here's a few pics of the pre-production bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
unnamed (4).jpg (45.0 KB, 619 views)
File Type: jpg
unnamed (5).jpg (45.1 KB, 612 views)
Old 10-18-16, 11:11 PM
Double0757

Bikes: 1984 Cannodale full touring bike, Giant full carbon dura ace, Belinsky frame Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I believe he is going to pull it off. As a backer I would rather wait to have a better riding and more durable folder than the prototype. If he doesn't then, it will be lesson learned. $1300 would hurt, but it doesn't going to make you poor. It would be foolish not to bring it to market. If it rides as good as it looks, then he has a money making folder.

Double O
Old 10-18-16, 11:56 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Double0757
I believe he is going to pull it off. As a backer I would rather wait to have a better riding and more durable folder than the prototype. If he doesn't then, it will be lesson learned. $1300 would hurt, but it doesn't going to make you poor. It would be foolish not to bring it to market. If it rides as good as it looks, then he has a money making folder.

Double O
I believe that too. The design is locked down, the bike works extremely well, "all" that is now needed is to produce it. I expect there to be many production-related hiccups, and if he can solve those, then he should be able to produce at least 219 bikes.

(I am backer 219 )
Old 10-19-16, 08:01 AM
HGR3inOK

Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Here's a few pics of the pre-production bike:
I still can't see how the folded bike measures 23"x26"x9.5" as claimed.

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
Old 10-19-16, 02:41 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
The pedals are removed in the folded pic.
Old 10-19-16, 05:05 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
The pedals are removed in the folded pic.
The Helix will be delivered with those type of removable pedals plus a set of folding pedals.
Old 10-21-16, 04:51 AM
Taco Cat

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also a kickstarter backer for the bike. I don't have a problem with the delays, per se, but I do have a problem with the company's wildly unsubstantiated issuing of updated delivery dates. The "delays" exist because the company fails to meet it's own absurd completion schedule. This undermines confidence. It would have been entirely reasonable to have stated design and production will take 36 months, or whatever. Of course, if the reason for being overly optimistic about the release date was to dupe investors, I'd be thinking about, one way or the other, getting my money back.
Old 10-21-16, 05:36 AM
Rick Imby

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There is just something about a Titanium frame---Those are great pictures.
Old 10-21-16, 08:04 PM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by Rick Imby
There is just something about a Titanium frame---Those are great pictures.
Those great pictures are all that exists of Helix Bicycles. That dude is a crook.
Old 10-23-16, 12:57 AM
hub-bub

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry for being a bit of a "lurker" here, but I haven't had much to add or ask until now. Although I didn't jump in during the Kickstarter campaign, I am very interested to pre-order a helix when that option comes.

Jur, would you please post the rest of the new photos you had access to as one of the Kickstarter backers? I would love to see more images of how the front end design was resolved.

Regarding Joe Remi's comment, "That dude is a crook", that's a very strong accusation. I have not seen any evidence here or elsewhere that would make that a true statement. Yes, there have been numerous delays and it seems he should have made managed expectations better with more realistic delivery date projections, (it sounds like he's had his share of challenges along the way) but the time spent developing/resolving/patenting the design seems to have been in the interest of putting out a better/stronger/safer bike. How many of us have ever tried to start a bike company from scratch, let alone one that has a truly unique folding frame/fork design?
Old 10-23-16, 03:52 AM
Joe Remi

Originally Posted by hub-bub
Sorry for being a bit of a "lurker" here, but I haven't had much to add or ask until now. Although I didn't jump in during the Kickstarter campaign, I am very interested to pre-order a helix when that option comes.

Jur, would you please post the rest of the new photos you had access to as one of the Kickstarter backers? I would love to see more images of how the front end design was resolved.

Regarding Joe Remi's comment, "That dude is a crook", that's a very strong accusation. I have not seen any evidence here or elsewhere that would make that a true statement. Yes, there have been numerous delays and it seems he should have made managed expectations better with more realistic delivery date projections, (it sounds like he's had his share of challenges along the way) but the time spent developing/resolving/patenting the design seems to have been in the interest of putting out a better/stronger/safer bike. How many of us have ever tried to start a bike company from scratch, let alone one that has a truly unique folding frame/fork design?
That's nice. He's a crook.
Old 10-23-16, 05:03 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hub-bub

yep will do in about 12hours from now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.