Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Weight Loss Club

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Weight Loss Club

Old 01-19-03, 12:19 PM
ChipRGW
hehe...He said "member"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great Iowa!!

The only thing I'd think you might think a little more about is the scale. Weighing that often is gonna end up driving you nutz. Everyone's weight varies a lot during the day. You'll ALWAYS weigh less in the morning, even if you don't eat anything during the day. I don't know why, but in the 2 years I've been losing, I've seen it many many times. I'd suggest weighing yourself two or threeX/ week at most. You will be able to fine tune your diet and exersize more accurately that way.

Just my 0.02.

As of 1/13/03 -- 131-1/2# gone!!

ChipR
Old 01-19-03, 09:00 PM
ndbentrider

Bikes: 1971 Pugeot PX 10 - First real bike. Current ride is a new customized Bacchetta recumbent - Dura Ace/Ultegra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
started keeping track in a detailed fashion starting on my 50th birthday last Dec. - Started at 264 lbs.

Indoor trainer for 40-55 min. a day

cut out the Mochas

cut out the Caffeen

Drinking about 60+ oz. of water

As of today - weight is down to 254

Long way to go - decent start though
Old 01-20-03, 09:09 PM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahh, the scale thing.

It is immediate feedback on the day. I know that if I weigh 260 lbs at night that I will weigh 258 in the morning. Pretty simple, I know that I metabolize and dehydrate 2 lbs overnight. However, if I weigh 258 in the morning, but 259 at night, I will probably be 257 in the next morning.

That is why twice a day. I also know, if I go up 3 lbs during the day, I need to look at my log and figure out why.
Old 01-20-03, 10:16 PM
Sailguy
Bring It!

Bikes: Torelli - Trek 520 - GT - and some old Schwinn Thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great job I.P.!! Haven't seen you on the boards in awhile, at least you've been keeping busy. I have dropped spinning class over the holidays, but I was thinking about going on thursdays to try to get back some variation. Way to keep the rest of us motivated
Old 01-21-03, 09:39 AM
stewartp
put me back on my bike

Bikes: Airbourne Carpe Diem + own brand fixed gear

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Excellent job I.P.

Bloody hell 10lb per week! That's some drop. What was that as a %of total each week?

I struggle to drop 2 lb a week when I'm trying to get my weight down.

I've dropped 12lb since beginning of December, from 187 ish to 175. (5ft 10.5 inches height) I need to go another 7lb to get to a previous well-trained weight.

I run a lot, and my running performance correlates directly to weight. I'm running London marathon in April, and I expect the extra 7lb will go by then.

My problems come when I'm injured and have to cut back on training - I find I can't cut back on eating!!

Stew
Old 01-21-03, 08:52 PM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Stew!

You are doing pretty good dropping 2 lb (or 1 kg, right?) per week. They tell me that 1 lb per week is the most a person should lose, but I haven't found any reason why. I understand that dehydration could be a concern, but I am doing so much water per day, so that is not a factor.

I haven't accurately measured my body fat percentage, but some of the online calculators at 30%. That means I have at least 75 lbs of fat to lose still. (Ewww, that is an awful mental picture)
Old 01-22-03, 07:35 AM
ChipRGW
hehe...He said "member"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best reason to slow down the weight loss is, that your body tries hard to maintain "status-quo", meaning that if you weigh, 200 lbs, your body wants to stay at 200 lbs. If it detects too rapid a weight loss, it will begin to take measures to hold on to that weight, like rapidly turning ANY excess calories into fat stores. The body begins to think it is starving and will take any measures to prevent that. Your metabolism will slow down, and for long term weight loss, that is BAD. It does seem kind of silly that your own body wouldn't know that what you were doing was good for it. But alas, the higher thinking part of your brain has no control over this. Unless you are very lucky, weight loss higher than 1 or 2 lbs/week will eventually stop and it will be even MORE difficult to stay on track to weight loss. The most effective weight loss is to convince your body to increase it's metabolic rate, which IS possible, but it takes a long time.

At our WW meetings, when I say how much I've lost, some newbie invariably asks how long it's taken. I like to say something like "4 months" just to see thier reaction. In reality it's taken 2 years to lose 131 lbs. It comes out to a little over a pound a week. Fine by me. I figure it'll take a LOT less time to get it off, than it did to put it on.
Old 01-24-03, 02:01 PM
Phatman

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts
Originally posted by IowaParamedic

No finger food. Everything is on a plate eaten with untensils.
Thats a really good idea! Right now I'm not overweight, but I am trying to break into the 6-pack abs arena (5-8% body fat), also just to improve my fitness. However, its been hard. I snack like crazy. Finally a strategy.

Also, I don't have a whole lot of motevation. When I was more fat, all I had to do was look at myself and be like, I gotta lose some weight. Now, its like, "eh, I look alright, I can eat that ice cream". Result: no 6 pack abs for Phatman.

Another strategy taht I have come across is to write your weight goal on your hand, and whenever you think about snacking, you will see that number and stop reaching. I have seen some wrestlers do this, and while they might not be the ideal model for weight loss (dehydration, laxitives, etc.) , some of their dieting tips are useful. I have yet to try this one, but it sounds good to me.
Old 01-24-03, 03:58 PM
fietser_ivana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by ChipRGW
The best reason to slow down the weight loss is, that your body tries hard to maintain "status-quo", meaning that if you weigh, 200 lbs, your body wants to stay at 200 lbs. If it detects too rapid a weight loss, it will begin to take measures to hold on to that weight, like rapidly turning ANY excess calories into fat stores. The body begins to think it is starving and will take any measures to prevent that. Your metabolism will slow down, and for long term weight loss, that is BAD. It does seem kind of silly that your own body wouldn't know that what you were doing was good for it. But alas, the higher thinking part of your brain has no control over this. Unless you are very lucky, weight loss higher than 1 or 2 lbs/week will eventually stop and it will be even MORE difficult to stay on track to weight loss. The most effective weight loss is to convince your body to increase it's metabolic rate, which IS possible, but it takes a long time.
You are absolutely right. I was stalling since late November despite working out 5x/wk and attending 2 spinning classes as well as swimming once/wk .. I just didn't lose weight and I'm at 33% BF (72 kg and 1,58 m tall).
Anyway I was told to check www.caloriesperhour.com and I dutifully did so.. I was amazed at the variety of things they listed and just couldn't just pick a few things, I had to make an elaborate spreadsheet.But anyway, I calculated everything and guess what? I was spending on average 3000 kcal/day and eating 1800 kcal (sometimes a bit more sometimes (when sleeping in 2-3 times/week) less. It was suggested to me to increase food intake until 2500 kcal. I'm not exactly going to do this but instead of the avg 1200 kcal deficit, I will do a 750 kcal deficit from day to day.. eg. when it's 3000 kcal, I eat 2250 kcal and when I burn 3800 kcal (Sat) I'll eat 3000 kcal. I will keep track of exercises I add or skip and eat accordingly...

Yup a scientific mind.. no surprise that I'm eating 6 meals of approx 300 kcal each now?:thumbup:

Ivana
Old 01-24-03, 05:40 PM
ChipRGW
hehe...He said "member"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I've never worked it out scientifically, but I do know the effect. That is exactly what Weight Watchers does. They have all the nutritionists, doctors, physiologists and whatnot sit down and come up with a formula that works all that calorie business out. Then they assign the point values to the foods, using calories, fiber and fat content. I don't know the math but if I eat below my points... weight loss slows down drastically. I've found that while it's best to stay in my point range, if I DO stray its actually better to err on the high side rather than the low. Especially on weeks when I get in a lot of miles.
It will be interesting to see what effect the next few weeks is going to have on my weight loss progress. I signed up for the MS150 here in April. I've used the "century training" plan from "Bicycling" that's been modified slightly to prepare for the 2 day ride. I modified it a little more to extend out to the full 14 weeks left before the ride. This is the end of week 1, and it is a pretty rigorous training schedule. I'll keep the "club" posted on my results.

ChipR
Old 01-24-03, 08:56 PM
bpherson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chip....good for you!! I too have lost 130 lbs....over two years. About a pound or two a week. I've always read, and have been told that any more than that and what you were saying is exactly what will happen. Your body will begin to store fat.

I still have about 40 lbs to go to get to where I want to be, but at a pound a week or so, I'm in no hurry to get there....as long as I have fun (riding all the time....and some other forms of exercise a couple of times a week).

So far I have found, and fallen in love, with biking, and then running, and then just getting, staying and continueing to be fit.

Find what works for you, stick with it, and most important know that your not alone in this. We're all in this together and I'm pulling for you (as Red Green would say).

Be well!!
Old 01-27-03, 05:20 AM
greywolf
aka old dog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was on an Atkins type diet & it worked well for me(protien power : carbohydrades addicts handbook) were 2 books i used, even dr atkins recomends weight training type of exersise to go with the diet. i must admit that i didnt stick rigidly to the books (i never have been good at following instuctions ) but i think cutting back on carb rich food like bread & potatoes & repacing with other veges has got to be good ! eating more smaller protien rich meals is suppost to alter our metabulism to burn more fat . i still eat a lot of meat, i always have, but now i watch the carbs , my weight is still droping slowly tho , but if it starts too climb to much i go into atkins- mode for a few days!.i did weigh 117kgs now i hover around 87kgs.i cycle 60ks 6 days a week as a rule, i think this enables me to be less fussy about what i eat, but i think different things work better for some than others but i do believe diet with out exersise is a waste of time:thumbup:
Old 01-28-03, 10:31 PM
bpherson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been doing something similar to what you are. A hybred of atkins and a blend of my own "diet". Latly though, I've been loseing very slowly (about a pound a week) or staying the same.

I've been trying to find a happy medium, or at least a system where I lose on a consistant basis until I reach goal. I ride quite a bit ( 15-20 miles a week) and run (5 - 8 miles a weeks) among other activities (includeng Pilates). I'll guess I'll try a different method week by week.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old 01-30-03, 02:38 PM
akshobhyavajra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by bpherson
I've been doing something similar to what you are. A hybred of atkins and a blend of my own "diet". Latly though, I've been loseing very slowly (about a pound a week) or staying the same.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

Hello bpherson and hello everyone else,

I'd say everyone reacts different to certain regiments, but all things ought to be approached with balance and patience. I don't like the idea of diet - but I do like the idea of life change.

As for me - I have to count and document everything I do and everything I eat. It helps me keep track. I mix carbs and proteins until 1400 hrs - eating small meals every three hours. At 1700 hrs it's protein and extremely low / no carbs. No food after 2000 hrs. I combine this with 100 plus crunches / 100 plus pushups each day; light weight training 3 x per week and minimum of 30 minutes cardio 4 x per week. My bike rides vary from 160 - 300 miles per month depending on weather. One day off and one "cheat" day - usually on the off day. Note - cheating does not mean binging - just eating what you like within reason. This has been a very good life change for me had has had good results on reduction of body fat and increase in strength / endurance.

Best regards,

~Michael~
Old 01-30-03, 02:42 PM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, the doc also said I had EXCELLENT circulation in my legs and feet. He said he could tell because I was growing hair on my feet, and you can't do that with poor circulation.
WOW! I gota start peddaling the bike with my head!
Old 01-30-03, 03:02 PM
deliriou5
It tastes like burning!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol.... hilariou5
Old 01-30-03, 04:36 PM
akshobhyavajra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by MikeR
WOW! I gota start peddaling the bike with my head!
Very funny - could be painful - though!
Old 01-31-03, 01:27 PM
Mockpo
Its happy hour somewhere,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alot of great & inspiring stories here...
I used cycling to drop 20+lbs 3 years ago and riding has continued to keep it off. Im a true beliver that if you can visualize it, you can make it happen. My doc still wants me to drop a final 10 (family heart history, asthma) and this year is my year to shut him up.
Quality ale is still my weakness...
What a great way to workout the body, going places and being outside.

Keep working on you health goals, you are worth it.
Old 02-03-03, 10:08 AM
killerasp
Syracuse Orangeman 4 Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive been in a bulking schedule for the last 2 months. ive seen quite a bit of improvement in my upperbody. im trying to bulk up for now and when the weather gets much warmer ill hit bike and start cutting it up.
Old 02-04-03, 08:39 AM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought I would throw out an update here. My weight loss rate has slowed. I am only losing 3-4 lbs per week. My first 50 lbs is off, which I predicted was the easiest. My goal is 230 lbs by 3/1/03 - 3/15/03 (giving myself plenty of padding around the date).

Here are the cool things:
My wedding ring barely fits.
The muscular definition in my legs is finally showing through.
I bought a leather punch for my belts.
When I hit 240 lbs, I will get new clothes (10 lbs is 1 waist inch).
Friends stare at me and smile.
People are always complimenting me.
I have only ridden once this year, but the hills are easier.
I am starting to fit into those &*#! European size jerseys.

I am going to have to set a new goal soon. I want to have a Body Mass index under 30. Most of all, I want to look good on a bike.
Old 02-04-03, 12:04 PM
Andy Dreisch

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IowaParamedic, that is awesome progress. Wow, 3-4 pounds a week!!!

I'm down to 211 now (from 225 a few months' back). I've been taking it slow and steady. My goal is 210. I'm 6'4", so that's about right for me.

I've noticed a lot of changes, too. I've had to buy a new wardrobe because my pants especially were dangling off me. I can easily ride in a more aerodynamic manner now for the entire commute because my knees no longer hit my gut.
Old 02-04-03, 12:10 PM
Sailguy
Bring It!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All very inspiring. I have had very slow weight loss myself, (~10 lbs) but inches have been dissapearing. Hills are easier, and now fun. I have not needed to buy a new wardrobe yet, but then again, I have plenty to fit into from before.

I am about 205 right now, trying to get down to 160. (5'7").

Thanks to you all for helping to keep motivation levels high.
Old 02-04-03, 12:11 PM
Sailguy
Bring It!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by IowaParamedic

Here are the cool things:
My wedding ring barely fits.
Get out on the town and party.
Old 02-04-03, 12:27 PM
fietser_ivana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, weight loss has been dramatically slow. I decided to give up the scientific approach (keto diet) and just go low on carbs on non-exercise days (think 50-75 g of carbs) and a lot higher on exercise days (200 g or so to have maximum benefit during anaerobic exercise).

I haven't lost a single kg since late November despite working my a$$ off in the last 4 months (exercising up to 6 times/week) and eating 1800 kcal/day (weighed my food etc.. etc ).
Now I just will eat when I'm hungry (though still 5-6 times/day)/

Fietser
Old 02-04-03, 01:22 PM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You know you have heard this elsewhere, but I also drink a lot of water.

I try for 8 - 17 oz bottles per day. I have to get up in the middle of the night once or twice, but I really think it helps. I stagnated a little with losing weight, and I looked into what I wasn't doing. I stopped keeping track of my water intake, because I thought I had the hang of it. When I stop writing stuff down, I don't do it right.

I upped my water intake and began losing again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.