Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Bike travel case

Old 11-29-17, 10:29 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by tetonrider

the reason i did not choose the biknd is that a few friends had them and they each had problems with the bladder losing air; they reached their destination and several times the wheels were totally exposed. neither suffered damage, but it is troubling.

each to his own.
I flew the Biknd case Internationally a couple times and DID have bladder issues. I replaced the bags with 4" foam and it works great. What I didn't think of at the time was the through axle need.

Now I'm shopping again.

New/same old thing issue now is vagueness of when to pay and what exemptions.

Frontier has a Military bags free, but nothing in writing.
United has it in writing, then has a section on service charges for bikes.
Thanksgiving junior had to pay - then I got a refund. Christmas I think there will be no bikes flown, only wheels.

To make it more complicated the United policy is different if traveling on official business or personal business.

So take cx nats in Reno. That is likely official business (likely not tax payer money - not going there right now) and purchased through the USAF.

If United is going to charge the $150 for bikes it is better to have 2 bikes in one box (we have the Tri-All-3) and then attempt to get another refund.

OR I can use the written policy to fly with 2-3 free "bags" under 70lbs each.

All this seems kinda petty, but as I did with the LUX team, getting the combo right is its own sport when it involves several riders, more bikes and several trips a year. It can mean $10K here or there.

Last edited by Doge; 12-03-17 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-01-17, 01:38 PM
dz_nuzz
Rides too much bike

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you will love this story of "Airlines messing with you". My girlfriend goes with her team to collegiate Nats and they are flying some airline that charges 150 for bikes (I believe it was United). So they decide to get a bunch of 2 bike Pika bags and they load the bikes in. They go to the counter and check it as "bikes" the agent asks "How many are in there?" My girlfriend answers "Two". He charges them $300.
Old 12-01-17, 03:18 PM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's serious BS.

All the more reason to use BikeFlights if you can.
Old 12-01-17, 05:15 PM
Doge

Originally Posted by dz_nuzz
So you will love this story of "Airlines messing with you". My girlfriend goes with her team to collegiate Nats and they are flying some airline that charges 150 for bikes (I believe it was United). So they decide to get a bunch of 2 bike Pika bags and they load the bikes in. They go to the counter and check it as "bikes" the agent asks "How many are in there?" My girlfriend answers "Two". He charges them $300.
Sounds like United @$150, but I think $150 is the price at others too.

Go to the United Refunds https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ds/refund.aspx

It works sometimes but a PIA.
Puppy traveled with 2 bikes in one case and paid for one.

I would argue on this basis:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con....aspx#Bicycles
A bicycle is free "62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge" but for the size. As this is oversized, it gets the bike price for $150 vs the over-sized price of $200.

I believe someplace they say you can't combine charges. So Not $200 for overweight + $200 for oversize.

The below refund was for vague Military wording. Military is free of service charges, then they charged for bikes.

November 28, 2017
We've processed the refund today.
Refund Amount/Currency: 150.00 USD
Sincerely,
United Refunds

Last edited by Doge; 12-03-17 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-03-17, 09:14 AM
Doge

Something else to consider that just came up.

Can an empty case travel as regular baggage? Hard cases can't. The Biknd can - barely.

With bikes split between CA and CO sometimes junior is needing to fly a bike case one way, empty to get a bike back. Normal sized bags are normally without charges, while oversize/bike bags (they are different) - it depends.

Last edited by Doge; 12-03-17 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-05-17, 03:49 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
Something else to consider that just came up.

Can an empty case travel as regular baggage? Hard cases can't. The Biknd can - barely.

With bikes split between CA and CO sometimes junior is needing to fly a bike case one way, empty to get a bike back. Normal sized bags are normally without charges, while oversize/bike bags (they are different) - it depends.
My wife just brought 2 Orucases [empty, and one within the other] from Philly to India. Lufthansa. No charge.

Now, I have to see what happens with bikes in them.
Old 12-05-17, 08:38 AM
Doge

Originally Posted by deepakvrao
My wife just brought 2 Orucases [empty, and one within the other] from Philly to India. Lufthansa. No charge.

Now, I have to see what happens with bikes in them.
What is the L+H+W on those? I could not find it on the site.
Old 12-05-17, 11:29 PM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by Doge
What is the L+H+W on those? I could not find it on the site.

69, but squeeze them a bit and you could get away claiming 65 - 66.
Old 01-18-18, 02:09 PM
airforce1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought this and will be arriving shortly. i will post on how well it holds up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X85FIEDK&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
9184W68Es-L._SL1500_.jpg (198.9 KB, 404 views)
81av5SRF7FL._SL1500_.jpg (272.5 KB, 397 views)
81I3yZVvRYL._SL1500_.jpg (202.1 KB, 401 views)
Old 01-19-18, 02:47 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by airforce1
I just bought this and will be arriving shortly. i will post on how well it holds up:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...X85FIEDK&psc=1

Looks solid and the price is good.
Old 06-11-18, 09:36 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
So I use the "BikND Jetpack" and I like it, but.. it only has wheels in the back. So you have to lift the front and then drag it around (on wheels, but still, I'm weak).

I was thinking some kind of spare wheels I could put on the front would be rad, like shopping cart wheels. Something like these, but how the F can I attach them is the next question.. anyone got ideas?

my race videos
Old 06-12-18, 06:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
So I use the "BikND Jetpack" and I like it, but.. it only has wheels in the back. So you have to lift the front and then drag it around (on wheels, but still, I'm weak).

I was thinking some kind of spare wheels I could put on the front would be rad, like shopping cart wheels. Something like these, but how the F can I attach them is the next question.. anyone got ideas?
Cut a hole in the bag. Insert the screws from those wheels through that hole. Put a washer and nut on it to lock it down. Done.
Old 06-12-18, 06:47 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
speaking of travel cases, I've kind of been looking at options for a trip later this summer (I'm traveling overseas in a couple of weeks but am renting). I'm leaning toward doing bikeflights, but still would consider a good quality case versus a cardboard box. Anyhow, I realize there are lots of pros and cons to flying vs shipping and types of cases, personally would love one which didn't require too much disassembly/reassembly.
Old 06-12-18, 09:04 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Cut a hole in the bag. Insert the screws from those wheels through that hole. Put a washer and nut on it to lock it down. Done.
This case has a hard/plastic bottom, so it's not quite that simple.. but yeah maybe that would work. I was thinking a detachable solution would be ideal; I'd just be afraid the wheels would break off during shipment.

my race videos
Old 06-12-18, 09:10 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
We just bought an Orucase for our trip to Tahiti next year, and maybe for Spain this year but that is only 7 days so getting in saddle time is probably going to be a no go. It takes roughly 20-30 minutes assembly time, but for me portability while traveling is hands down the most important. There's nothing worse than being rushed in a train station or taxi stand and not being able to manage all your luggage.

I ride a 50cm SuperSix, so it can hopefully slip past the fees.
Old 06-16-18, 09:13 PM
Cosmic Hawk

Bikes: BMC Time Machine TMR01

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didn't really read through much, but I rate the Bike Box Alan. It's ungainly, and you might get charged oversize fees, but I was greeted with this yesterday at the airport and after cussing everyone out within 100 feet of me, I discovered that nothing inside the box had sustained damage. Delta Airlines, direct flight from Atlanta to Hawaii. thats either oil or hydraulic fluid all over it by the way.

Old 06-26-18, 01:24 AM
Maaku

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am sharing my bike case because it is truly a different experience of traveling around with your bike compared to others I've used (cardboard box, hard case, soft cases.) Of course, I am biased, because I'm the designer and I'm starting to produce/sell it, but i'm curious to know what people's reactions are: Post Carry Co. Transfer Case. It might be some work to pack/unpack the bike but personally, I don't mind it. I'm able to build my road bike in 15 minutes, including pumping the tires. This will turn off some cyclists but i'm sure there are others that enjoy working on the bike, use it as a chance to clean/service the bike, and to get the footprint of the case as small as possible. I love taking the train or transit systems at any city I visit, and there just wasn't a bike case that made it easy to go around town before you actually unpacked the bike. I know there's several posts here concerning broken bikes or preventing damage. In my Case, the bike is sandwiched between foam layers instead of it being constrained to a rigid frame within the case. This gives the bike some wiggle room to move if it gets impacted, and the rigid side panels take most of the impact. Any thoughts?

Old 06-27-18, 01:44 AM
mattm
**** that

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I actually did end up screwing some tiny shopping-cart-style wheels to the bottom of my BikND bag, worked like a charm!! Total game-changer for the bag, not having to drag it around.

I'll have to post some pics, but it wasn't very complicated - just screwed the wheels directly in to the cardboard on the bottom, made it to ATL and back at least.

my race videos
Old 06-27-18, 07:06 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Maaku
I am sharing my bike case because it is truly a different experience of traveling around with your bike compared to others I've used (cardboard box, hard case, soft cases.) Of course, I am biased, because I'm the designer and I'm starting to produce/sell it, but i'm curious to know what people's reactions are: Post Carry Co. Transfer Case. It might be some work to pack/unpack the bike but personally, I don't mind it. I'm able to build my road bike in 15 minutes, including pumping the tires. This will turn off some cyclists but i'm sure there are others that enjoy working on the bike, use it as a chance to clean/service the bike, and to get the footprint of the case as small as possible. I love taking the train or transit systems at any city I visit, and there just wasn't a bike case that made it easy to go around town before you actually unpacked the bike. I know there's several posts here concerning broken bikes or preventing damage. In my Case, the bike is sandwiched between foam layers instead of it being constrained to a rigid frame within the case. This gives the bike some wiggle room to move if it gets impacted, and the rigid side panels take most of the impact. Any thoughts?

How does this do with passing through airports without the bike fee? Looks like a cool product.
Old 06-27-18, 08:54 PM
Maaku

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
How does this do with passing through airports without the bike fee? Looks like a cool product.
It does pretty well, but no guarantees on passing without a fee. In close to 40 flights between myself and various testers, to and from US, Asia, Europe, we have only been charged some sort of extra fee twice, and no damaged bikes whatsoever. This is with lightweight road bikes, and disc rotor gravel bikes. But your experience may vary depending on the airline and how friendly they are when you check-in, and for this reason, I won't guarantee or make the main selling point about avoiding fees. But the Case could pay for itself in savings over time. Thanks!
Old 06-27-18, 11:08 PM
furiousferret

Looks like a sweet case; basically an Airport Ninja with wheels.
Old 07-12-18, 10:03 AM
ozziewizzard

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have recently came across EVOC bike travel bags on Amazon. Read most of the reviews and questions. Seems like most of the customers are very happy with this company. They have different models. They are not cheap. but for seems like they definitely get the job done. They even have an XL model for fat bikes and large size bikes, which is really hard to find. To be fair, this XL model does not have a lot of reviews, I believe only one at the moment and it is a very generic "this bag is awesome" 5 star review.

The other models. EVOC original, EVOC pro has over 70 reviews and almost 95% off them are very positive.

Anyway ,hope that was helpful, you can check out my blog post for these bags if you want more details.

recrostorage.com

Happy biking!
Old 08-12-18, 08:02 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
We just bought an Orucase for our trip to Tahiti next year, and maybe for Spain this year but that is only 7 days so getting in saddle time is probably going to be a no go. It takes roughly 20-30 minutes assembly time, but for me portability while traveling is hands down the most important. There's nothing worse than being rushed in a train station or taxi stand and not being able to manage all your luggage.

I ride a 50cm SuperSix, so it can hopefully slip past the fees.
FWIW, we bought Orucases for both my wife and I for a tour in Europe we just completed. Never having used them before, we sort of took a flyer on seeing if we could get past the airlines. Bottom line on these -they worked fantastically. We dropped them off with Delta curbside checkin at MSP with a $20 tip to the baggage handler. They sent them right through. Our flight was Minneapolis to Amsterdam to Bergen Norway and back two weeks later. Delta didn’t even blink. KLM at the check in at Bergen asked us what we had in the cases and we replied “Sports equipment”. They took the bags without comment and without charge and even helped us haul them over to the special baggage x-ray machine for security. Our bike bags weighed under 40 lbs each. My wife’s bike is a 54cm frame. Mine is a 58cm frame. I don’t think a 62cm frame would have been a problem since the way the Orucase is designed, it would have been marginally larger.

All told, it took us about an hour to put two bikes together the first time and 45 minutes the second. We made arrangments to leave our cases at our hotel where we stayed the first and last nights. I also rigged up straps that threaded through the backpack straps and was able to then carry them on our wheelie luggage (which we also left at the hotel). That made them super portable and quick through the airport and trains. Do note - our wheelie luggage is the metal frame bags by Luggage Works that pilots use which is pretty beefy. Make sure you check the strength of your bag frame before you do this.

Some things we did do that we would recommend are to get the plastic hub protectors for the wheels and the dropout protectors that fit in the fork and the rear droupouts. You LBS will give these to you since they throw them away otherwise. If you have a removable RD hanger, I’d take that off too just to be safe. Our bike were set up with SRAM eTap (no wires to the drivetrain) and the chains have quick links. So we just took the RD and chain off and packed them in the pocket of the Orucase inside where they were nice and safe. I have a custom geometry frame that made it a little tighter fit so I took my cranks off (super easy). You will have to experiment a bit with fork placement in your particular case. The longer the steerer tube the more that you will probably need to reposition the cushion that surrounds the bike and also holds the fork so it lays more along the top of the frame instead of in the front as shown in their videos.

Based on the fees from Delta/KLM ($150 per bike each way or $600 for the two of us), we almost paid for the bags in our first trip (at $399 each before the price increase). We’re going to use them again this fall and again next summer. Having our own bikes was so worth it since we both suffer from neck issues and fit is critical for us.

Last edited by JohnJ80; 08-12-18 at 08:15 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 11:41 AM
furiousferret

@JohnJ80 thanks for the report, they're almost all like yours (very positive).
Old 08-13-18, 01:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 243 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
@JohnJ80 thanks for the report, they're almost all like yours (very positive).
Yeah, I was skeptical until I tried it. I have a lot of airline time in (elite status, Million Miler etc...) and I thought I could probably get some concessions anyhow. I was surprised at how simple it really was. No hassle, straight through. I really do think they worry a lot more about weight than size. With size, if you're close, it's good enough for them.

J.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.