Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Reliable patch brand? I have vulcanizing glue already.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Reliable patch brand? I have vulcanizing glue already.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-18, 02:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
a good seal won't break outside the tire and I want to make sure the seal is good before I reuse that tube. I do em in batches and leave them inflated all overnight to make sure they don't slow leak. Occasionally I'll get one that leaks or I find another hole in the tube
I avoid inflating the tube immediately after patching. Although the bond between the patch and the fluid is rapid, it's not instantaneous. Stressing the patch too soon can result in the patch pulling up from the tube and patch failure.

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
It's difficult to cut through all the noise (especially here) -- it takes some effort. First drill down into sources like MSDSs for the cement to find whether substances like cyclohexyl-n-ethylamine are present or not. Then research can reveal uses of those substances like "cross-linking accelerator." Ultimately you may find dissertations detailing the use and mechanism of cold vulcanization. More importantly you'll know which cements have accelerators (Rema) and which don't (Slime). [Note: MSDSs are not authoritative as they don't list all ingredients. Look for older versions.]

Those who have good filters learn to ignore unqualified voices extolling things like Crazy Glue and Elmer's, and rely more on qualified research and empiricism.
Good advice but I would add that Rema's patches and vulcanizing fluid are part of a whole. There is an accellerator in the fluid but that is only one part of the process. A chemical to be accelerated is needed as well. Most of the cheap patch kits don't have either and just rely on rubber cement to hold the patch in place. It works but not all the time.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-20-18, 02:06 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by bikebike3
made a thread about a patch leaking...
I was suggested to instead use cold vulcanizing glue instead of the $0.75 cents mini glue tubes from china ebay sellers.

I bought a $16 can of Rema vulcanizing specially made for tubes.

I needed to patch a tube the other day. I did everything 'to a t' from how patching is suggested. I clamped the patch and left it overnight. I might have put a tad bit too much glue but probably not. I didn't glob it on or anything.

Anyway, what seems to happen is the cheap patches I have are peeling. I inflated it and can see the edges of the orange rubbery layer of the patch starting to pull apart from both the tube and from the black top layer of the patch. I think it might have something to do with also that this was a hard puncture to patch - it was two close together and both were on two different seams of the tube. I sanded the seams down but they were still bumped out a little. I figured the better vulcanizing glue would help. But I also just think these cheap orange and black patches are to blame. It seems as though once inflated they pull apart.

These are the patches similar: Both the circle and rectangle ones I have:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Weldtite...from=R40&rt=nc

What's a good brand of just patches? I only need patches I have glue. I don't want to waste money on a kit. Can you please link from ebay a good deal on just quality patches? Thanks
You have one part of a good patch system now get the other part. The vulcanizing fluid only works as rubber cement on other brands of patches. Get Rema patches like these F1s or these F0. Or get both. The F1s are good for wide tubes while the F0 work much better for narrow road tires.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-20-18, 02:18 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I'm frequently surprised at the things other posters claim to do when patching inner tubes.

I'm just to the point of using up the last of the generic patch kits that I had left over when I closed my bike shop 18 years ago. All that I ever do is to follow the instructions on the package ("let the 'glue' dry for 5 minutes") except that I do use a wood clamp on the tube for a period of time.

I'm confident enough that I don't even QC my patching jobs. I just toss the patched tube back into my spares box. Never had a failure.
Old 07-20-18, 03:47 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
It's difficult to cut through all the noise (especially here) -- it takes some effort. First drill down into sources like MSDSs for the cement to find whether substances like cyclohexyl-n-ethylamine are present or not. Then research can reveal uses of those substances like "cross-linking accelerator." Ultimately you may find dissertations detailing the use and mechanism of cold vulcanization. More importantly you'll know which cements have accelerators (Rema) and which don't (Slime). [Note: MSDSs are not authoritative as they don't list all ingredients. Look for older versions.]

Those who have good filters learn to ignore unqualified voices extolling things like Crazy Glue and Elmer's, and rely more on qualified research and empiricism.
Weird thing is, last time I looked for the MSDS on bulk "vulcanizing fluid", cans of patch glue and patches, I couldn't even find it for most of the product! Very unexpected hard stop on the research ... I decided it's more efficient to just buy the 1 or 2-use patch kits that work.
Old 07-20-18, 04:07 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
How much pressure are you putting in them for these tests? If it's a very small/low amount, I guess I could see it, but it just seems like these patches were never intended to work on their own, out in the open, outside the tire. We all know what happens to tubes if you try to pump them up to a decent pressure outside of a tire...
The inflate? I put in enough pressure to slightly stretch the patch to make sure it doesn't pull up. At least with the tapered edge Rema patches this is never an issue on a good patch. It also makes it much easier to peel the clear plastic off the top
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I avoid inflating the tube immediately after patching. Although the bond between the patch and the fluid is rapid, it's not instantaneous. Stressing the patch too soon can result in the patch pulling up from the tube and patch failure.
Yea usually at least an hour or two passes, since I usually patch in batches of 8-12 and by the time I finish the last one and clean up and throw away all the foil etc they're dry.
Old 07-20-18, 07:57 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,377 Times in 7,205 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo

How much pressure are you putting in them for these tests? If it's a very small/low amount, I guess I could see it, but it just seems like these patches were never intended to work on their own, out in the open, outside the tire. We all know what happens to tubes if you try to pump them up to a decent pressure outside of a tire...
...one of the demonstrations the Rema reps used to do at trade shows is to patch a tube, give it some time to work, then inflate it to burst pressure.
Whenever I was there, the tube failed at some point other than the patch. This video is intended for the wider car tubes, but the same principles apply.

The burst test is done at about 4 minutes into the video.

Old 07-21-18, 08:23 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
peeling at the sides? Mine did this. Now I apply the glue, let it dry. Inflate the tube just till it’s round and Touch the center of the patch on to the puncture. Then inflate a little more and press the sides down. Putting a patch on the round tube like that works better for me than putting in on flat and then inflating.
The problem with your method is that the patch will pucker when you release the pressure. The patch will work better if it is flat on the tube.

Old 07-21-18, 11:40 AM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

The problem with your method is that the patch will pucker when you release the pressure. The patch will work better if it is flat on the tube.
What size tires do you ride?
Old 07-21-18, 10:06 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly

What size tires do you ride?
23mm to 2.125” (55mm)

Old 07-22-18, 01:21 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
Have y'all heard bout the patch that use heat to vulcanize. Supposed to be 100% effective.

Like 4 semi truck tires.
More trouble than it's worth. They invented cold vulcanization as an improvement over hot patches. And that was many decades ago.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-22-18, 02:47 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
I was hoping not to indicate my old age by mentioning that when I was a kid, hot patches were all we used. Came with a little tin dealie that sat on top of the patch, and you lit it with a match.
Old 07-23-18, 12:00 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
I once fixed 14 flat tires in two weeks on our car when we lived in India. Got really good at fixing flats. Often used the hot patches in that time period too.

My experience with both Park and Performance patches is dismal. Rema is the only solution that works for me.
Old 07-24-18, 08:56 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Does anyone sprinkle chaulk dust on the patch to neutralize excessive glue? Like this...
It's not a bad idea, though I generally don't. I might have sprinkled some baking soda on a time or two. I have that in the household but not chalk.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 07-24-18, 08:59 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
No chalk dust, but I do dust the tubes with talc (or is it cornstarch?) before I roll them up for storage after patching. Of course, the glue is usually pretty dry by the time I get around to that step (I do my patching in batches).
Old 07-24-18, 09:04 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

talc is a (soft) mineral, not a plant product.

Old 07-25-18, 06:45 AM
SBinNYC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by catgita
I especially hate trying to get the clear layer off of some patches.
One important difference between Rema patches and its imitators is that the Rema's clear layer is cellophane not plastic.

If you look very carefully at a Rema patch, you will notice there's a score mark going in one direction. I'll locate the score mark, while waiting for the vulcanizing fluid to dry. I'll then fold the patch along the score line. This will cause the cellophane to partially split open.

When the vulcanizing fluid is completely dry, I'll remove the foil and apply the patch - holding the patch by the corner of the cellophane layer. I'll also orient the partially open slit to be perpendicular with the long circumference of the tube. I'll burnish the patch from inside out with the rounded edge of a Rema patch kit box.

Once the patch is firmly adhered, I'll grip the patch with both hands between my thumbs and index fingers on either side of the slit. When I pull my hands apart, the slit opens further splits apart. This leaves the patch on the tube with 2 pieces of cellophane on top of the patch. I can then "roll" each cellophane piece off from the center to the edge. The cellophane removal from center to edge never tries to lift off the new patch.
Old 07-25-18, 07:09 AM
Colnago Mixte

Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
I was hoping not to indicate my old age by mentioning that when I was a kid, hot patches were all we used. Came with a little tin dealie that sat on top of the patch, and you lit it with a match.
Those were fun! Smelled great, and the patches always stuck EXTREMELY well.

I have never found any brand of cold patches that worked as well. I even suspect that the ingredients of the patching fluid has changed over the years, these days I can't get cold patches to stick for crap. My memory is that they stuck much better 15-20 years ago.
Old 07-25-18, 08:19 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@Colnago Mixte, you're doing something wrong. Today's patches work just fine.

Old 07-25-18, 08:27 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks.
Old 07-25-18, 09:03 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
My research shows the hot patch smell is considered toxic...and it is banned by the UN.

I also struggled with cold patches in the past, when I used generic multipurpose patches.
But recent bicycle patch kit from Walmart is working pretty well.

People in poor parts of the world seems to prefer hot patch...no doubt it is cheaper, simpler and more effective...just not healthy.

Cold patches are a hit-or-miss. There's also different type of rubber...that might have something to do with why some of my cold patches didn't stick.
I honestly think the chemicals have changed in some patch glues.

Mind you, I live in California, home of the mandatory cancer warning on every product sold. Where most paint sold at stores is now useless and won't stick to anything. Where the entire cleaning aisle at the supermarket is full of useless cleaning products after all of the effective chemicals used in them have been banned in the state.

It would not surprise me in the least to find that effective patch glue chemicals have been banned here too.
Old 07-25-18, 11:57 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte

Mind you, I live in California, home of the mandatory cancer warning on every product sold. Where most paint sold at stores is now useless and won't stick to anything. Where the entire cleaning aisle at the supermarket is full of useless cleaning products after all of the effective chemicals used in them have been banned in the state.

It would not surprise me in the least to find that effective patch glue chemicals have been banned here too.
Much of what you say about paints and cleansers is true, for varying reasons. But the dominant cross-linking accelerators are neither on the prop 65 list, nor banned by USOSHA because they are deemed non-toxic. Thus they also don't appear on recent MSDSs which makes it difficult to confirm which cements use them. Any cement that claims, on the container label, to have cross-linking accelerators almost certainly does.
Old 07-26-18, 08:14 AM
cyccommute 

My research shows the hot patch smell is considered toxic...and it is banned by the UN.

I also struggled with cold patches in the past, when I used generic multipurpose patches.
But recent bicycle patch kit from Walmart is working pretty well.

People in poor parts of the world seems to prefer hot patch...no doubt it is cheaper, simpler and more effective...just not healthy.

Cold patches are a hit-or-miss. There's also different type of rubber...that might have something to do with why some of my cold patches didn't stick.
Generic multipurpose patches almost invariably use rubber cement. The rubber cement sticks to the patch but it isn't really a bond. The way to ensure that cold patches work is to use Rema. As far as I've seen they are the only company using a vulcanizing fluid instead of rubber cement. And that means using their fluid and their patches...they are part of a whole.

As for hot patches, I think people use them because that's what their daddy used. A hot patch isn't "better", it's just that they don't know of a different method.

Originally Posted by Colnago Mixte

I doubt that the chemicals used have changed. People have been complaining about how poorly patches work for decades...at least 40 years in my experience...because they don't understand the chemistry nor have any idea what is in the glue they are using. Most people buy just any old patch kit and then are disappointed with the results. There may be other patch systems around but I've not seen them. Rema's patch system consists of the vulcanizing fluid which contains an accelerator and a patch that contains the chemical being accelerated. Without one or the other, the patch is just sticking to the tube.

Another mistake that people make is to be too stingy with the vulcanizing fluid. As far as I can determine, the accelerator isn't a catalyst, it is an active participant in the reaction and, as such, is consumed. If you have too little vulcanizing fluid on the tube, the reaction is starved and doesn't form enough bonds to be permanent.

Still another mistake that I see all the time, is that people aren't careful about handling the patch. Don't touch the orange bit on a Rema patch! Oils from your fingers interfere with the reaction and the bond isn't as strong. When you peel the foil, hold the patch by the plastic covering the patch.

Much of what you say about paints and cleansers is true, for varying reasons. But the dominant cross-linking accelerators are neither on the prop 65 list, nor banned by USOSHA because they are deemed non-toxic. Thus they also don't appear on recent MSDSs which makes it difficult to confirm which cements use them. Any cement that claims, on the container label, to have cross-linking accelerators almost certainly does.
I agree. And would add that most of the generic patch kits I've seen...which is 99.9% of all patch kits...contain tubes of cement that are clearly labeled "rubber cement". If they say that, they aren't using cold vulcanizing to do the job of patching.

I also tell people to not inflate the tire after patching to "check" their work. This pulls at the edges of the patch before it has had time to cure and weakens the bond.

Old 07-26-18, 06:30 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by SBinNYC
One important difference between Rema patches and its imitators is that the Rema's clear layer is cellophane not plastic.

If you look very carefully at a Rema patch, you will notice there's a score mark going in one direction. I'll locate the score mark, while waiting for the vulcanizing fluid to dry. I'll then fold the patch along the score line. This will cause the cellophane to partially split open.
That's a good tip! I always found it annoying to remove the clear layer, that will be helpful next time
Old 07-26-18, 06:31 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,427 Times in 2,534 Posts
Originally Posted by GAJett
I'm just a single data point, so for what it's worth, I I had about a 75% failure rate with the Park kits vs. a 0% failure rate for the Rema kits. Same prep procedure for both.
Cheers!
What Park kit is giving you trouble? I get good success from Park VP-1 (VP=Vulcanizing Patches) -- I won't touch those glueless patches (aka stickers)
Old 07-28-18, 12:45 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I've used all kinds of patches over the last few years but I always seem to come back to Rema. They seem to last the longest. I used their brand of vulcanizing fluid also. I think it's a good idea to use the same brand fluid as patch. On the road though I carry both Park self-sticky patches and Rema. I have a small Rema patch kit that I throw two Park patches in as well as the Park self-sticky tire boot patch. The later came in handy a few years ago when I blew out a tire.

Last edited by drlogik; 07-28-18 at 01:17 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.