Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Do you install new ball bearings every time you service your hubs?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-18, 03:32 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts

I did do a Google search first, but info on this exact question was kinda sparse. Some advice recommended installing brand new bearings at every service, while others said the original bearings could be re-used several times, if not indefinitely, assuming regular servicing.
I'm talking specifically about XT and 105 hubs.
BTW, I'm not agonizing, fixating, or obsessing on stretching out a whole $3 worth of bearings as long as humanly possible, especially not at the expense of the entire hub, I'm simply looking for some general info, and curious what the consensus is.
Thanks.......

Last edited by Brocephus; 08-25-18 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 03:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
yes
Old 08-25-18, 03:46 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Yes every time. Balls are about a penny a piece. I can easily clean and visually inspect cups and cones, but greasy little bearings cleaning and inspecting, not so much. YMMV of course.

Last edited by FBOATSB; 08-25-18 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 04:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Normally, yes I do because even Grade 25 balls are so inexpensive it's a matter of "why not". However, a couple of times when my parts inventory was low, I have reused the balls in hubs and the old ones worked just fine. So, is it necessary? No.
Old 08-25-18, 05:09 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Seems wasteful if they are in good condition. Think about the pollution generated to make and deliver the balls.
Old 08-25-18, 05:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I use new every time.
I don't have the best vision, so examining 18-20 balls gets pretty tedious. besides, I'm old and lazy.
It does keep the job much cleaner. Use your dirtiest rag to wipe out the excess grease & toss. Repeat, don't toss.. I finish off with 2-4 Q Tips around the races & other nooks & crannies.
I don't touch the old, dirty grease.
Clean grease washes off with "girly" soap, so no problem applying it with fingers.
Old 08-25-18, 05:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
MY bike replace.
Others - inspect and replace as needed
Old 08-25-18, 06:58 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
I simply clean, re-install, grease, and then re-adjust. If they were on hand when the mood strikes to service it, I would probably replace just as a matter of course. But seriously, why?
Old 08-25-18, 07:34 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
No to the OP. Give how bearing adjustment is such a variable thing what with QR tightness becoming the final aspect... Andy

Assuming everything is otherwise in good condition and no pits. Andy
Old 08-26-18, 09:44 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
In a perfect (communist ) world, I'd always just clean and inspect them. Filtering the degreaser used for cleaning so it too can be reused. However, when the time is tight, I just put new ones in. In terms of time/money, it makes more sense. But it is wasteful and less eco-friendly.
Old 08-26-18, 10:08 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
Depends. If i know the history of the bearing, the grease is still bright, there is no signs of wear anywhere and i don’t drop/loose any i reuse them. Otherwise i take new ones.
Old 08-26-18, 10:27 AM
le mans
Steel is real

Bikes: Custom - Record Vortex 8 spd Nexus & Mistral Le Mans 3 spd Shimano. Giant Kronos. Raliegh Single Speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
No not really, most of the time it's just the old grease that needs to be changed
Old 08-26-18, 10:42 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I am surprised at the forum mechanics' inclination to just replace them. I thought that hub bearing balls are pretty much grease and forget, until there is obvious wear and flat spots, and I've serviced mine dozens of times without replacing them. Is this more of a "first do no harm" type of advice, or do you really replace the balls that often?
Old 08-26-18, 11:16 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
No

If the bearings are bright and shiny, then I reuse.

If the bearings show significant signs of wear, they get replaced.
Old 08-26-18, 11:18 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I am surprised at the forum mechanics' inclination to just replace them. I thought that hub bearing balls are pretty much grease and forget, until there is obvious wear and flat spots, and I've serviced mine dozens of times without replacing them. Is this more of a "first do no harm" type of advice, or do you really replace the balls that often?
The way I look at it is at about $1/wheel, it's cheap insurance. I buy in bulk so they're always "in stock" anyway. They're easy to purchase unlike cones which can be sometimes unavailable.
Old 08-26-18, 11:28 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
As long as the balls have their original finish they can be reused indefinitely. https://www.yarchive.net/bike/ball_bearings.html
Old 08-26-18, 11:31 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

How much do you charge per hour?
How long does it take to clean and inspect the bearings?
It takes some solvent, at least on a rug, then dry rug to remove the solvent, then looking at each ball, just to be sure it's fine.
While replacing them all with new ones costs about 1$ per wheel. With 0% risk of reusing a worn ball.

Which is better for you, and/or for the customer?
I often even don't bother to lift a dropped ball, not for being lazy, but I think that picking it up and cleaning it "costs" more.

In a world more centered on saving the planet and making things more durable (with less polution), it would make a lot more sense to re-use all that can be reused.
Old 08-26-18, 11:35 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Slaninar
How much do you charge per hour?
How long does it take to clean and inspect the bearings?
It takes some solvent, at least on a rug, then dry rug to remove the solvent, then looking at each ball, just to be sure it's fine.
While replacing them all with new ones costs about 1$ per wheel. With 0% risk of reusing a worn ball.

Which is better for you, and/or for the customer?
I often even don't bother to lift a dropped ball, not for being lazy, but I think that picking it up and cleaning it "costs" more.

In a world more centered on saving the planet and making things more durable (with less polution), it would make a lot more sense to re-use all that can be reused.
From your rhetorical questions, I infer that your answer is "Yes, I do replace the balls" even when you don't think it's necessary?
Old 08-26-18, 11:37 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

From your rhetorical questions, I infer that your answer is "Yes, I do replace the balls" even when you don't think it's necessary?
I had already answered that in my previous post. When I have the time, I try to save all I can - but during spring - no way.
Old 08-26-18, 11:43 AM
wphamilton

Originally Posted by Slaninar
I had already answered that in my previous post. When I have the time, I try to save all I can - but during spring - no way.
Ah, ok thanks. You were just justifying it then (which I didn't really intend to demand). I was curious whether you all actually do replace them, or just telling people to replace them because it's cheap and won't hurt anything.
Old 08-26-18, 11:47 AM
FBOATSB

"First do no harm". If I can buy bearings so cheap retail, I know the pros can buy them in bulk for far less wholsale. I don't have the eyesight to clean and inspect however many dozens of different size balls per overhaul either. I'm just not comfortable reusing something so cheap that if pitted, rusty, cracked, could potentially trash an expensive, difficult, or impossible to replace vintage cup/cone.
Old 08-26-18, 11:55 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Ah, ok thanks. You were just justifying it then (which I didn't really intend to demand). I was curious whether you all actually do replace them, or just telling people to replace them because it's cheap and won't hurt anything.
Could be a language thing, but the meaning of "justify", the way I understand it is not appropriate. It's a matter of cost. It's cheaper to use new balls, plus it is safer - no worrying about missing a damaged spot.
Old 08-26-18, 12:54 PM
FBOATSB

As an aside, for anyone with environmental issues, ball bearings are both recyclable and biodegradable. Win win.
Old 08-26-18, 01:07 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by FBOATSB
As an aside, for anyone with environmental issues, ball bearings are both recyclable and biodegradable. Win win.
Virtue signalling is not virtuous. Recycling uses energy and produces emissions. The hard pollution from mining and metal refining is not biodegradable.

Which of the three is better -- reduce, reuse, recycle?

Reduce is cleanest, second best is reuse, recycle is worst. Reusing ball bearings also reduces the need to produce new ones.
Old 08-26-18, 01:18 PM
FBOATSB

Funny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.