Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Wheel Build Question:

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Wheel Build Question:

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-18, 03:05 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
No! You absolutely do not want rim breaks! Now, I have no issues with caliper brakes, also known as rim brakes, but stay away from those breaks! They can lead to real pain. (You break a twig; you brake a train.) Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Ben
I am actually very embarrassed to have made that mistake. I was so worked up about the build I lost my head I guess

Do'h! lol
Old 10-18-18, 03:06 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Before you rule out Phil Wood on the weight issue, call them. There may be a specific piece of the hub that is the limiting factor. Perhaps they could build you one with that modified to work for you. All of their stuff is machined by them and built like it is custom. True custom may not cost any more than the weight.

If you call them, you will talk to the engineer. Challenges are what they do, Now, what you are asking osn't far off the ordinary and I bet they have a quick answer and a good solution for you. They have been building hubs for 'round the world tourists for 1/2 a century. (I contacted them for a bottom bracket with a spindle as narrow as possible so I could set up my crankset to have the chainring just miss the right chainstay paint and have the overall width as narrow as possible to keep the Q-factor down for my knees. They told me they could run a custom BB with any spindle I wanted, I sent them the asymmetry and overall width I wanted. Engineer came back telling me what I asked for could be done within the adjustibility of their narrow stock symmetrical BB and that they had one in stock. Worked out perfect.

Another real plus for Phil Wood - if your needs (or the current standards) change, the odds are very good that Phil can supply you with parts to refit the hub to the new use. If the hub is in a wheel you like - the update is likely a lot cheaper than a new hub (and spokes? and rim?) Also probably far quicker and easier. I have a front hub I got as a standard quick-release hub. Later I put the very stiff Jahndd (sp) LowRider rack on the bike. The rack was so stiff it was a real fight to get a QR wheel out unless I unscrewed and removed the quick-release. (Not QR.) Phil sold me a new axle with bolts. Much, much better!

I only have 3 Phil hubs and that BB. I wish I had more and that I had started acquiring them 40 years ago, Would have saved me money and hassle. They'd all still be running.

Ben
I planned on calling on the potential makers. Nice to talk to a human instead of reading internet specs.
Old 10-18-18, 03:22 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
a dishless rear wheel , your 11 a Shimano Alfine IGH has advantages over a cassette wheel

because you crank the drive side spokes tighter, to force the hubshell to the left,
to make room for that stack of 11 cogs ..
a dishless cassette hub is achieved with a wider hub-axle , 145 or more..

which is a reason why tandems have really wide rear hubs..

Co Motion Went that way for some of their single touring bikes..

Old 10-18-18, 03:51 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
25mm tires!?! I wouldn't worry about exceeding the hub's weight limit by seven percent.
Old 10-18-18, 09:27 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Use whatever for the front. But as you're aware, the rear is critical, mostly because of dish.

So, the best place to start is minimising dish. An off-centre rim helps a lot. And using an 8/9/10 hub instead of 11s will help a lot too. There are a few ways to get eleven cogs on a 10s hub; I even have 10 cogs on a 7s hub (and 11 would just fit mine too, although YMMV).

I'd also advise a Shimano hub, from the standpoint of axle and bearing durability. Most other hubs have the DS axle bearing inboard of a floating cassette body, which is just dumb compared to Shimano's arrangement of using the cassette body as a stressed member with the axle bearing outside it. Using a Shimano hub also gives you plenty of scope to further minimise dish by messing around with various cones and locknuts to minimise the distance between the dropout and chain; this sort of fettling is usually difficult or not possible with other setups.

+1 for 13/15/14 spokes (pretty much just DT Alpines AFAIK).

And at your weight, I wouldn't go smaller than 28r, 25f.
Old 10-18-18, 09:56 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Middleweight rim....something in the 700 x 15 to 700 x 17. 525 - 600g range.
Preferably with eyelets or double eyelets.
32 Hole will be fine...
2.34/1.8/2.0 spokes (13/15/14)

Don't worry about 11 speed hubs.

Both Shimano and Campy actually countered what would have been an increased asymmetrical dish problem with a shift in the freehub body. Diagrams available in Google Images show this.

I'm surprised so many people here are unaware of this.

Most important thing of all, is, who is building your wheels?

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-18-18, 10:01 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
25mm tires!?! I wouldn't worry about exceeding the hub's weight limit by seven percent.
Yeah, I weigh 245 and found 26s and 28s and 32s mm tires (on an old Schwinn actually 27x1-1/4) much more comfortable. 28 is going to be my standards road ride going forward.

Good luck and have fun! Report back!

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-18-18 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-18-18, 10:19 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1528 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Don't worry about 11 speed hubs.

Both Shimano and Campy actually countered what would have been an increased asymmetrical dish problem with a shift in the freehub body.
Eh? Shimano's 11s hubs have pretty bad flange offset compared to 8/9/10.

What's this shift you're talking about...?
Old 10-18-18, 11:32 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by fietsbob
a dishless rear wheel , your 11 a Shimano Alfine IGH has advantages over a cassette wheel

because you crank the drive side spokes tighter, to force the hubshell to the left,
to make room for that stack of 11 cogs ..
a dishless cassette hub is achieved with a wider hub-axle , 145 or more..

which is a reason why tandems have really wide rear hubs..

Co Motion Went that way for some of their single touring bikes..

As I have explained here many times over . . . there is no such thing as a "dishless" wheel for the 99.99% symmetrical bicycle frames we ride on.

ALL bicycle wheels have dish.

What you mean to say is a wheels with LESS asymmetrical dish of the appearance kind of dish.

Poison for those who don't know what they're doing.

=8-(

Disclaimer:

4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 10-18-18, 11:35 PM
mrrabbit 

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Eh? Shimano's 11s hubs have pretty bad flange offset compared to 8/9/10.

What's this shift you're talking about...?
They shaved the inside spline stop...and slid the freehub body outward .9 to1.2mm to cancel what would have been an increase in asymmetry.

In other words, tension, balanced tension, trueness and proper stress relieving are your most important concerns - assuming a decent rim and spokes for this particular build.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 10-18-18, 11:39 PM
mrrabbit 

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1680&bih=953&ei=eG3JW9eaJe-I_Qax0aewBg&q=10+speed+v.+11+speed+campy&oq=10+speed+v.+11+speed+campy&gs_l=img.3...1623.6215..6447. ..0.0..0.126.3001.0j26......0....1..gws-wiz-img.......0j0i5i30j0i8i30.R0wOiI4cJrM#imgrc=v50DtTQfcwX6MM:

Note the difference is less than 1mm.

16.8mm v. 16.2mm for drive offset - freehub push outward by extending OLD from 130 to 131.

Not something to lose sleep over.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

Old 10-19-18, 06:12 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
I probably will not get cheap on the rims and just buy those new as well.
Good decision. MUCH easier for a first wheel build to start with a rim that is flat and round.
Old 10-19-18, 07:31 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
Yeah, I weigh 245 and found 26s and 28s and 32s mm tires (on an old Schwinn actually 27x1-1/4) much more comfortable. 28 is going to be my standards road ride going forward.

Good luck and have fun! Report back!
FYI my bike won't hold anything bigger than 25 on the front, no room.
I will keep you all posted on this build.
Old 10-19-18, 07:53 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Rear is a different animal I know. All my bikes have 36 spoke wheels on the rear. When I go to start looking at rims if I can go down to a 32 drillings the rim options are endless, but if I stick with 36 I am really limited to just a slim few. Can I build a 32 rear rim that will not cause havoc? I ride pavement 95% of the time and roads around here are not too bad.
The rims, whatever drilling they have, aren't going to make that much difference. Rims aren't the structural component that you need to worry about. What you should consider is the spokes...not necessarily the number but the type. This article details why you should consider triple butted spokes rather than double butted spokes. Spokes like the DT Swiss Alpine III will build into a much stronger wheel with the same rim with only a minimal weight penalty. What rim you use is unimportant with one caveat.

I would suggest trying to find off-center drilled rims. Velocity A23 OC rims have an offset to them that allows for more even tension between the two sides of the wheel. That goes a long way towards a more durable wheel. Combined with a triple butted spoke, a wheel built around an OC rim is approaching as bomb proof as you can get.

fair question:
36 wheel options are well UGLY...there are some really nice looking 32H options. Durability is always on the forefront I guess. My current wheels look terrible to be fair and hubs are just not great quality I don't think. I don't care much about the actual weight of the wheels because I am the heavy part of the bike.

So really its just to a point of vanity and better quality hubs.
Honestly, I doubt you could tell from across the room if a wheel is a 32 or 36. I suspect that most people couldn't tell the difference, at a glance, between a 28 and a 40 spoke wheel. If, however, you use a triple butted spoke, you could easily go to a 32 and have just as durable wheel as a 36 spoke wheel with straight gauge or double butted spokes.

So I just got back from my bike shop. I have a great shop and talking to them and they had a pretty good idea actually. Being I have 36 spoke rims, why not just disassemble what I have, purchase new "pretty" better hubs and re-build. They suggested I strip the rims and just re-decal them with something else or leave plain black. rims now are black with some ugly decals that I could remove. Nothing wrong with the rims in reality.

I do run 11 speed and budged would be let say under $600? If that seems reasonable for some "blingy" hubs...…

I need to think this over a bit more maybe, this does seem like a good idea maybe
If you were only replacing the rim, I would say you could use the spokes and hub without problem as long as the rim has the same ERD. But replacing the hub is a different animal and you probably shouldn't reuse the spokes. Even the rim is a bit iffy. Since you want to replace the hub, just keep the other wheel as a back up and build a new wheel.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-19-18, 01:35 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
No! You absolutely do not want rim breaks! Now, I have no issues with caliper brakes, also known as rim brakes, but stay away from those breaks! They can lead to real pain. (You break a twig; you brake a train.) Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.

Ben
There is also a poster with a SIG that has LOSE spelled LOOSE. My pet peeve too.
Old 10-19-18, 02:15 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by jack002
There is also a poster with a SIG that has LOSE spelled LOOSE. My pet peeve too.
LMAO, I bet......
Old 10-19-18, 02:19 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

@cyccommute

Here is where I am at:

Velocity 36h rims, I think the model is the v or deep v or something like that. 36h, rear 32h front. I a going with Hope hubs because I can get red, I want red and I can get the drillings I like. I will take your spoke recommendation and use the dt alpine III spokes.

Only thing I have not decided on is the spoke nipples, going for black. Should I use brass or alloy version?
Old 10-19-18, 02:41 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
@cyccommute

Here is where I am at:

Velocity 36h rims, I think the model is the v or deep v or something like that. 36h, rear 32h front. I a going with Hope hubs because I can get red, I want red and I can get the drillings I like. I will take your spoke recommendation and use the dt alpine III spokes.

Only thing I have not decided on is the spoke nipples, going for black. Should I use brass or alloy version?
Brass.
Old 10-19-18, 03:03 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
@cyccommute

Here is where I am at:

‘Are you sure you want the “Deep V” rims. Sure these were recommended for “Clyde” riders for many years as the go-to choice. The thing is, current designs have moved on. The Deep V’s I believe still only have an internal width of, say -17mm which is going to limit your future tire choices. Why not go with a semi-aero rim with an inner width of 19 to 20mm and an outer width of 23 to 25mm? Also a rim that is “tubeless ready” would be a better choice as well. I love my A23’s, and am stoked about the Quill rim from Velocity that is rim brake, wider profile and tubeless compatible. I believe the Quill would be a bit lighter than the Deep V’s.

I’ve heard mediocre reviews on the ride of the Deep V’s other than their durability. If you want more grip, handling, road feel but still durable - there are certainly more fun (and only slightly less safe) choices out there. Another option would be the HED Belgium Plus - it has fantastic quality control and checks all the boxes.
Old 10-19-18, 03:19 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Brass.
thanks
Old 10-19-18, 03:20 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by masi61

‘Are you sure you want the “Deep V” rims. Sure these were recommended for “Clyde” riders for many years as the go-to choice. The thing is, current designs have moved on. The Deep V’s I believe still only have an internal width of, say -17mm which is going to limit your future tire choices. Why not go with a semi-aero rim with an inner width of 19 to 20mm and an outer width of 23 to 25mm? Also a rim that is “tubeless ready” would be a better choice as well. I love my A23’s, and am stoked about the Quill rim from Velocity that is rim brake, wider profile and tubeless compatible. I believe the Quill would be a bit lighter than the Deep V’s.

I’ve heard mediocre reviews on the ride of the Deep V’s other than their durability. If you want more grip, handling, road feel but still durable - there are certainly more fun (and only slightly less safe) choices out there. Another option would be the HED Belgium Plus - it has fantastic quality control and checks all the boxes.

thanks for the insight. I actually love those HED rims but only 32 drillings scared me away. I will go back and check out the rims again. Really thank you. This thread has been very informative
Old 10-19-18, 05:13 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

@cyccommute

Here is where I am at:

Alluminum but only if they are in splined versions. Wheel Fanatyk has them. I’ve used them for about a dozen wheels and they work quite well. I wouldn’t use square aluminum for much of anything anymore. I’m not that big of a fan of brass either...kind of boring and they will still round off.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-19-18, 05:28 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by masi61

The Deep-V has an internal width of 14mm. The A23 has an external width of 23mm and an internal width of 18mm.

But there is too much made of tire width and rim width. The chart in this article from Mavic offers a much wider range of tire sizes then the chart that is often linked to. It’s much more in line with what I have experienced with tires on narrow rims. I run 55mm tires on 17mm rims with regularity and with no downside that I’ve experienced.

Finally, I think that the A23, especially with an off-centered rear, would be an excellent choice but I also have Deep-Vs on my touring bike. I haven’t experienced any handling issue with those rims.

Old 10-20-18, 07:45 AM
masi61

thanks for the insight. I actually love those HED rims but only 32 drillings scared me away. I will go back and check out the rims again. Really thank you. This thread has been very informative
No problem, good luck with whatever one you choose. I was not aware that HED Belgium + did not come in 36 spoke.

I ride Dura Ace 7700 nine speed hubs 36 rear and 32 front with the lighter weight DT Swiss butted spokes on A23 polished rims. I get a lot of compliments on the wheels - mainly how shiny and “old school cool” they are. They roll plenty fast and work great with 700x25 tires with Vittoria latex tubes....
Old 10-20-18, 07:51 AM
masi61

Originally Posted by cyccommute

The Deep-V has an internal width of 14mm. The A23 has an external width of 23mm and an internal width of 18mm.

But there is too much made of tire width and rim width. The chart in this article from Mavic offers a much wider range of tire sizes then the chart that is often linked to. It’s much more in line with what I have experienced with tires on narrow rims. I run 55mm tires on 17mm rims with regularity and with no downside that I’ve experienced.

Finally, I think that the A23, especially with an off-centered rear, would be an excellent choice but I also have Deep-Vs on my touring bike. I haven’t experienced any handling issue with those rims.
Just because you can mount these wider tires on 17mm width rims without issues does not make them optimal. When building fresh, I would think starting with the current crop of wider rims is going to have a potential for higher performance down the line as your sport riding advances more to quasi-racing level performance approaching that of tubular tires. I will check the Mavic article on compatibility though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.