Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I found my son's STOLEN bike!

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I found my son's STOLEN bike!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-18, 08:21 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Has the OP gone to the police yet?
Old 12-19-18, 02:33 PM
jaecult

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*UPDATE*
The police found my sons bike! I put a report in last week and they found it today. Unfortunately its in poor shape. I'm pretty sure they left it outside. The axles, chain and spokes are rusted. The handlebars were replaced with some cheap ones. The stem is Merritt's Oil Rubbed Bronze Inaugural Stem, only a limited amount were made...that thing looks like it went thru hell now The frame looks in good shape. Just a tons of scuffs and scratches. The cop said it wasn't hard to find it. The "thieves" story is that they found the bike abandoned (near the area it was stolen). Proving that they were the ones that broke in and took the bike would be difficult. The cop said that her story doesnt match up. I know she knows who did it. I'm not even gonna waste my time on these people. I literally stalked the girl on Facebook, putting all the peices together. I got names, addresses, relatives.... the funny thing is the "ex" that she claimed gave her son the bike as a present lives/lived just walking distance from where the bike was stolen (my inlaws property). To make things more interesting, he recently got locked up for sexual acts with a minor. I started to feel sorry for the girl, he cheated on her with a child....but she posted on Facebook that she misses him and still loves him...sooo yeah, these people are some kind of stupid. Anyways, the bike is back. I was gonna surprise my boy with it but i'm sure he's gonna be bummed out to see his (once) dialed bmx bike is no longer that murdered out, shiny copper and brown themed bike that the local high school bmx shredders used to give him props for. For now, im gonna hide it and see if i can pull something off before xmas.

I'll be attaching some of the photos i gave the investigators. They kept giving me a hard time... I can't tell you how many times a cop would ask me over the phone "well how do you know its your bike?" lol trust me, i know.

Last edited by jaecult; 12-19-18 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 02:43 PM
jaecult

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't attach photos until ive posted 10 times on the forum.
Old 12-19-18, 04:01 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Glad to hear it has a more happy than sad ending.

Originally Posted by jaecult
"thieves" story is that they found the bike abandoned (near the area it was stolen). Proving that they were the ones that broke in and took the bike would be difficult.
And not to be insensitive, but a waste of police resources unless they believed there was something much larger going on. Not that police haven't wasted more on less, but proving this likely wouldn't be worth the effort to them when the prosecution is all but assured of an acquittal on shaky grounds.

I can't tell you how many times a cop would ask me over the phone "well how do you know its your bike?" lol trust me, i know.
They're doing their job. You may feel that you should be trusted, but to them you can be any number of individuals they have to deal with who don't have it all together. You could easily be someone who is unstable who saw the bike on CL and KNOW it is yours. You could be someone simply mistaken, You could be someone trying to use the police to obtain a bike that was never yours. Asking the same questions a few different ways over a matter of time is one incredibly easy way to get a good idea if a person is telling the truth and credible.
Old 12-19-18, 07:16 PM
SCD53

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you got it back. I need to post some pic but I don't have enough
posts yet. Then I will have a lot of questions and input on this forum.
Old 12-20-18, 09:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
*UPDATE*
The police found my sons bike! I put a report in last week and they found it today. Unfortunately its in poor shape. I'm pretty sure they left it outside. The axles, chain and spokes are rusted. The handlebars were replaced with some cheap ones. The stem is Merritt's Oil Rubbed Bronze Inaugural Stem, only a limited amount were made...that thing looks like it went thru hell now The frame looks in good shape. Just a tons of scuffs and scratches. The cop said it wasn't hard to find it. The "thieves" story is that they found the bike abandoned (near the area it was stolen). Proving that they were the ones that broke in and took the bike would be difficult. The cop said that her story doesnt match up. I know she knows who did it. I'm not even gonna waste my time on these people. I literally stalked the girl on Facebook, putting all the peices together. I got names, addresses, relatives.... the funny thing is the "ex" that she claimed gave her son the bike as a present lives/lived just walking distance from where the bike was stolen (my inlaws property). To make things more interesting, he recently got locked up for sexual acts with a minor. I started to feel sorry for the girl, he cheated on her with a child....but she posted on Facebook that she misses him and still loves him...sooo yeah, these people are some kind of stupid. Anyways, the bike is back. I was gonna surprise my boy with it but i'm sure he's gonna be bummed out to see his (once) dialed bmx bike is no longer that murdered out, shiny copper and brown themed bike that the local high school bmx shredders used to give him props for. For now, im gonna hide it and see if i can pull something off before xmas.

I'll be attaching some of the photos i gave the investigators. They kept giving me a hard time... I can't tell you how many times a cop would ask me over the phone "well how do you know its your bike?" lol trust me, i know.
Asked as a parent whose now adult son is on the spectrum--could working on restoring it with your son turn this cruddy situation into a positive? Having a project with Dad might be a really cool thing for him and a learning experience.
Old 12-20-18, 04:33 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I'll bet he'd like to help get it back together. Duo jobs are better
Old 12-20-18, 09:49 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11971 Post(s)
Liked 6,650 Times in 3,485 Posts
I can't attach photos until ive posted 10 times on the forum.
Originally Posted by SCD53
Glad you got it back. I need to post some pic but I don't have enough
posts yet. Then I will have a lot of questions and input on this forum.
One good way to increase your post count is to go to the Introductions forum and greet some newcomers.