Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Front end "suddenly" sways from right to left

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Front end "suddenly" sways from right to left

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 01:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6958 Post(s)
Liked 10,959 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
You align the fork best possible. Part of the process is to check splay (hub/axle not being on center WRT the steering axis) and blade lengths being the same (wheel sits fully up in slots and is centered between blades AFTER splay is corrected).
Okay, so you just eyeball it? Seems rather imprecise, but a starting point. Thanks for the response.
Old 02-01-19, 01:30 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Okay, so you just eyeball it? Seems rather imprecise, but a starting point. Thanks for the response.
Yes, seeing equal gaps on both sides of a rim, to the corresponding blade, is fairly easy if you have a somewhat practiced eye for these visual line ups. But when doing an "in my shop" alignment measurement tools are at hand and used as needed. (Added Edit) I use my fingers too. Slip a finger on both sides of the rim to feel the gaps to the blades.

While I have not established a form that I use for fork alignment steps I have done so for the frame. Here's an example of that for a frame I built my wife last year. Note that some of the dimensions are in thousandth's of an inch. No eye balling here! Andy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
#540 Alignment Sheet.pdf (212.3 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Andrew R Stewart; 02-01-19 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added content
Old 02-08-19, 11:23 AM
Luc_D

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end, I've swapped both wheels and the handling is acceptable, but still a bit squirrely.

I am under the impression that my handlebar have excessive swetpback and are putting too much weight on the back, So I will try a different one and report back if handling improves further.
Old 02-08-19, 11:35 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Luc_D
In the end, I've swapped both wheels and the handling is acceptable, but still a bit squirrely.

I am under the impression that my handlebar have excessive swetpback and are putting too much weight on the back, So I will try a different one and report back if handling improves further.
I thought I recalled you mentioning, at some point in this thread, that you had a recent issue with your back. It's possible that if you're riding with a tight back or your body in a different position to compensate, that might be having more effect than anything on the bike. The rider is the most significant force and weight in the whole system, so it's worth thinking about that possibility as you deal with the difficulties of pinpointing speed wobble.
Old 02-14-19, 07:08 AM
Luc_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljsense
I thought I recalled you mentioning, at some point in this thread, that you had a recent issue with your back. It's possible that if you're riding with a tight back or your body in a different position to compensate, that might be having more effect than anything on the bike. The rider is the most significant force and weight in the whole system, so it's worth thinking about that possibility as you deal with the difficulties of pinpointing speed wobble.
Thanks for chiming in, but I was saying that on the contrary, I am much more flexible and my backpain no longer bothers me.

Anyhow, the speed wobble is still present, albeit at a lesser degree...
Old 02-14-19, 03:24 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I mentioned the frame at BB joint because that is exactly where this same problem originated on one of my bikes. The down tube had broken at the BB. Not all the way off, but half way around the weld.

Had a customer with a Specialized Secteur that had a speed wobble that would not go away. Replaced both wheels with known good wheels, replaced handlebar, fork, stem and headset to no avail. Replaced the bike and the problem was solved. Something in that frame was causing the problem, but we were unable to determine what it was.
Old 04-08-19, 10:24 AM
Luc_D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the very end, I've managed to find the culprit: the saddle had slided back, pointing up — imagine 78 vs 90 degrees.
Old 04-08-19, 10:35 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
While everyone was figuring mechanical problems, doom & gloom of mystery goblins.

Post 23 had it right all along.
That guy is a genius.

Anyhow, it's good to see you got it sorted & are on your way to a summer full of miles.
Cheers