Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Software update: 4/18/19

Old 04-23-19, 01:29 PM
IBobi
***RETIRED*** Do Not Contact

Bikes: 2010 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
Perhaps as a moderator you can do this, but I do not see this option in the one post where I was "liked" (oooh warm puppy feeling inside!!! oh wait, no that was actually the dog peeing on my leg.)
Yep that's just for mods.
Old 04-23-19, 01:31 PM
IBobi

We have also removed the "like" date and the username rank from the Likes field; we've also reduced the height of the "likes" box.

Old 04-24-19, 08:28 AM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
big grey box is still at the top, both on my desktop and iphony.
We are currently working on this issue!
Old 04-24-19, 11:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
@Siu Blue Wind, it hurts to receive criticism, but if you read it carefully, @carleton has given you information that the site could use and, in my view, should use. You don't have to pay him to take his advice. It's good advice. You've lost track of issues because you seem to be using just this thread for collecting feedback, and it seems you have no incident tracking or bug tracking system. He's spoken on some basics of user interface design which may not be obvious until you read it and consider it, so we can excuse you for not knowing. Well, maybe. But now you've read it, and I find it to be irrefutable. And you're acting as if he's insulted you? Come on. If you're not going to take his advice, at least thank him for it and consider using it later. As I said, I believe he is right in all of his points, and you're going off in wild directions without evidence of knowing any industry best practices. You don't have to act embarrassed, but I think you should start following industry practices as soon as you can rather than dismissing them as exotic or whatever.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-24-19, 12:18 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Still fighting the good fight...

This screenshot illustrates what I mean about problems running waaaaay to many 3rd party scripts.

See the message at the top?

This webpage is using significant memory. Closing it may improve the responsiveness of your Mac.
I have a fully updated, damn-near server class MacBook Pro (with 16GB of RAM), and Safari (version 12.1) is telling me that this text-only website is too taxing. The only time I have ever seen that message is when I've been watching live streaming video in 1080P...rarely.

This is a problem.
Old 04-24-19, 12:30 PM
carleton
Elitist

Here is proof:

The only websites I have open are this page and a YouTube video playing at 1080P (highest resolution):

This page is taking up 2 GIGABYTES of RAM while the YouTube video only 358MB. I've seen BF take 3GB of ram, but I didn't screenshot it.

Ask your devs why it takes 6x as much memory to render this text and image website than it takes to run 1080P videos

Last edited by carleton; 04-24-19 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-24-19, 12:37 PM
IBRyan
Retired -- Do not PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
holy cow, how do I (or anyone else for that matter) turn OFF the 'likes notifications' like the one that just showed up in my private message box. I do not see an option to do this in the "User Tagging - General Settings" page.

this 'like' feature is EXTREMELY ANNOYING TO ME, and the last thing I want is to be notified via my PM box every [expletives deleted] time someone 'likes' my post.

Edit: I looked in the "Edit Options" and there is a checkbox for "Notification for new "Thanks" on your posts?" and it was checked (probably by default). I have unchecked it. Is this "Thanks" the same as "likes"? I have unchecked the box.
@hazetguy thanks and likes are the same thing on settings, yes.
Old 04-24-19, 01:11 PM
carleton
Elitist

Here is a screenshot from the developer console in Safari:

I left the page open for maybe 5-10 minutes and it accumulated 4,500 javascript errors...and counting. The error count just grew and grew and grew.

This happens in every user's browser. Authenticated or not.

This is why I use script blockers on this website. It filters out the javascript drama and keeps this website from using 3GB of RAM.
Old 04-24-19, 01:20 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11950 Post(s)
Liked 6,595 Times in 3,463 Posts
Carleton . . . .

There's something wrong with your Mac, sir. I have a much older Mac, with a slower processor and half the Ram you have . . . and I have NEVER seen the message you have seen. And I view live streaming too, just this morning in fact. Not only that, I process huge 5+ Mb photos routinely on my machine using Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC opened simultaneously. And yes, I run Safari 12.1 also. Might run a little slow with the big files, but it never chokes.

So I don't know where your problems lie but it isn't in the BF software. And if it WAS there would be lots more complaints here about it, and there just aren't.

But here's the other issue, Carleton. Instead of trying to prove everybody else wrong and incompetent and unworthy, why don't you apply for an IT position at IB and see what you guys can work out together. Otherwise you're just bad-mouthing the Tech team and the staff here and hell, that's not the way to get what you want.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-24-19, 01:24 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by carleton
This happens in every user's browser. Authenticated or not.
Incorrect. If so, scores maybe hundreds of users would be complaining, including moi.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-24-19, 01:38 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by noglider
@Siu Blue Wind, it hurts to receive criticism, but if you read it carefully, @carleton has given you information that the site could use and, in my view, should use. You don't have to pay him to take his advice. It's good advice. You've lost track of issues because you seem to be using just this thread for collecting feedback, and it seems you have no incident tracking or bug tracking system. He's spoken on some basics of user interface design which may not be obvious until you read it and consider it, so we can excuse you for not knowing. Well, maybe. But now you've read it, and I find it to be irrefutable. And you're acting as if he's insulted you? Come on. If you're not going to take his advice, at least thank him for it and consider using it later. As I said, I believe he is right in all of his points, and you're going off in wild directions without evidence of knowing any industry best practices. You don't have to act embarrassed, but I think you should start following industry practices as soon as you can rather than dismissing them as exotic or whatever.
I think you're out of line, my friend. You're jumping in at the tail end of a conversation slinging a lot of accusations and assumptions based, I BELIEVE, on a request from someone to come here and back him up. You have no idea of what she's knowledgeable about. And if you find his information irrefutable then, I'm sorry to say, it's you who is lacking in knowledge, because the only way to find something irrefutable is through rigorous testing. It's just someone's assumptions based on what appears to be a malfunctioning machine. But please cease with the personal negative remarks, they're totally unnecessary.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 04-24-19, 01:47 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 894 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Thank you for commenting and I do appreciate your points... but theres a few things that you were not privvy to and that entailed the long conversations that he and I had regarding this over the course of time, starting from last year. He knows that I am grateful for what he's tried to help us with. As for the details about what I bolded up above, I'll keep that between him and I.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 04-24-19, 01:48 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

wow.

Are you asking me to leave?
Of course not. I just feel like you are not liking it here any more.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 04-24-19, 02:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by BillyD
Carleton . . . .

There's something wrong with your Mac, sir. I have a much older Mac, with a slower processor and half the Ram you have . . . and I have NEVER seen the message you have seen. And I view live streaming too, just this morning in fact. Not only that, I process huge 5+ Mb photos routinely on my machine using Photoshop CC and Lightroom CC opened simultaneously. And yes, I run Safari 12.1 also. Might run a little slow with the big files, but it never chokes.

So I don't know where your problems lie but it isn't in the BF software. And if it WAS there would be lots more complaints here about it, and there just aren't.

Ah...the old, "It works for me (an Admin), so you (the customer) must be wrong." line. So, after all of that proof above about what I'm experiencing, it doesn't matter. It's my fault.

Got it.

Did you test when you logged out and didn't use your ad-free admin credentials?

But here's the other issue, Carleton. Instead of trying to prove everybody else wrong and incompetent and unworthy, why don't you apply for an IT position at IB and see what you guys can work out together. Otherwise you're just bad-mouthing the Tech team and the staff here and hell, that's not the way to get what you want.
Ask Siu or @IBobi if I've done that

Siu? @IBobi?
Old 04-24-19, 02:21 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Ah...the old, "It works for me (an Admin), so you (the customer) must be wrong." line. So, after all of that proof above about what I'm experiencing, it doesn't matter. It's my fault.

Got it.
Carlton, where are the scores of other BF users complaining about the problems you describe? Even a dozen users. I'll take five.

C'mon man, you're ignoring the obvious for some reason that is beyond *me*.
Old 04-24-19, 02:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Carlton, where are the scores of other BF users complaining about the problems you describe? Even a dozen users. I'll take five.

C'mon man, you're ignoring the obvious for some reason that is beyond *me*.
Bally, while I gather 5, will you ask your QA lead to chime in on this thread and see if (s)he can recreate this?

How many unique users ever reply to these "Update" threads. 5 total? 10? Out of thousands of users. Most just suffer in silence.

If this is how you guys run things, cool.

I come with "receipts" proving issues, and you call me a liar because others don't log into their developer console and take screenshots. Nice.
Old 04-24-19, 02:57 PM
carleton
Elitist

You can call me an a$$. But what you can't call me is wrong.

I know what the hell I'm doing and I've been doing it professionally at a high level for decades.

I love this site. I want it to be either the way it used to be or better. The past 2 years it's simply gotten worse with each update.

Not sure if you folks know, but I used to be a mod on this site and I quit because of other obligations. Would this feedback be better received if I had a blue star by my name again? If so, why? Do my words (and screenshots) not have strength enough to stand on their own?

Get it together, Admin crew.

Ban me if you like, that won't make you right.
Old 04-24-19, 04:47 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Okay Carleton. Thank you for your input.
Old 04-25-19, 01:23 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
OK sorry for referring to stuff I didn't know about. I still see a closed-mindedness to carleton's suggestions, an attitude of denial. One of the most annoying administrative responses is, "We've never heard that complaint before" as if that means it must not be a problem. The problem with this response is that you'll never believe a complaint the first time you hear it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 04-25-19, 04:35 PM
IBobi

What we try to do is determine if it's widespread. Generally if only one person is reporting something, unless that thing is a very seldom-used feature, it means the issue is on the user's side (browser).

Some of what Carleton mentioned is (or was, before we had a chance to fix it) an issue. We do not ignore issues. We try to reproduce them, and if we are unable to, and nobody else is reporting them, there's literally nothing else to be done. We always help members to try to debug their browsers and fix the issue.

The issue with Carleton's posts was that right in the midst of a significant 3-part software upgrade on the site, he constantly brought up issues not related to the update, as well as blanket criticism of how technical issues are handled. Sorry, but while we are in the middle of a software update, we don't need that, and we won't respond to it. We have limited resources, and need to stay on the ball.

With regard to ongoing technical issues, I don't believe there are any we have not acknowledged and responded to. If some things are still glitchy, we're working on them. Or we have made a response that they just work differently now. If there's something specific that's not working, anyone is welcome to mention it in this Support forum, and we'll reply to that too.

Thank you
Likes For IBobi:
Old 04-25-19, 05:11 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by IBRyan
The "Like" feature is now live! Please reply on this thread if you experience any issues!
I tried to peruse the thread for a report....but this feature is not present on the BikeForums Mobile theme of the forum. Intentional? Bug? Tested on mobile theme on Android Kiwi Browser (fork of Chrome IIRC) on Android Pie, also tested on Firefox v66.0.3 64-bit on Linux. There simply is no "like" button present.

I do like the new mobile theme otherwise tho.
Old 04-26-19, 12:12 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Did you try using "full site"? on mobile?
Old 04-26-19, 05:46 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
If that's the question, then the answer is "no, we didn't put that in the mobile version."

Why not just say that? Why not be precise in your update messaging to make it clear that not all features will be available on mobile? Or, if likes are suddenly so important, why not wait until you get it done in mobile too, since I'm guessing phones must be a decent sized chunk of your traffic, and if they're not, it's probably not a good thing, it's an indictment of your previous or current mobile platforms.

I remember back when I paid for the worst app I've ever purchased and got the BF phone app. It was essentially unusable, and as far as I know was abandoned eventually instead of being fixed.
Old 04-26-19, 09:22 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
The button is there on full site on mobile
Old 04-28-19, 08:44 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Still fighting the good fight...

This screenshot illustrates what I mean about problems running waaaaay to many 3rd party scripts.

See the message at the top?

I have a fully updated, damn-near server class MacBook Pro (with 16GB of RAM), and Safari (version 12.1) is telling me that this text-only website is too taxing. The only time I have ever seen that message is when I've been watching live streaming video in 1080P...rarely.

This is a problem.
I had a similar problem with Firefox crashing a lot but it was a virus my malware app finally caught, not here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.