Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Chainstays

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Chainstays

Old 06-06-19, 08:37 PM
Brian880

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Chainstays

Can I dimple Columbus Cromor chainstays in situ? Would be looking to p/u 5mm more clearence each. I was thinking constrain the oustside with a form and hammer or draw a disc wedge to widen. The disc would be tracked so no side to side deflection.
Old 06-06-19, 10:56 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts

Brain- can you do this? maybe. Have others? Yes. but 5mm of narrowing of the stay's width is a fair amount, about 25% of the common 22.2mm diameters or close to 33% of a typical ovalized section. Added to this is the placement of any stay bridge and it's access hindrance and stresses of initial joining. These reasons are why it's best to dimple before the build is completed.

Here's a couple of dimpling tools to draw ideas from. Andy
Old 06-07-19, 06:24 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I saw your other thread and I'd say getting 5mm per side from an oval chainstay is going to be a big dimple. My experience with dimpling chainstays has been that the stay also bends at the point of the dimple. In the case of an already assembled frame, this means the stays will likely pull closer together at the dropouts and need to be reset to the proper spacing.
Old 07-11-19, 07:59 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart

Brain- can you do this? maybe. Have others? Yes. but 5mm of narrowing of the stay's width is a fair amount, about 25% of the common 22.2mm diameters or close to 33% of a typical ovalized section. Added to this is the placement of any stay bridge and it's access hindrance and stresses of initial joining. These reasons are why it's best to dimple before the build is completed.

Here's a couple of dimpling tools to draw ideas from. Andy
Andy, no one responded to my ask on the CR list, but are you willing to perform this operation for others? I have a 1982 Raleigh Int'l MkII I'd like to add a few mm each side internal clearance on.
Thanks, Jim C
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Old 07-11-19, 10:14 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Jim- PM coming. Andy