Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Vintage Tom Kellogg Spectrum help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 08:59 PM
FSU421

Bikes: A bunch of Cannondales, and a Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vintage Tom Kellogg Spectrum help?

I picked this sweet bike up today. I know of Tom Kellogg before today, just didn’t know a lot about him. The bike doesn’t have any thing resembling a model number that I can see, and I can’t find a picture online if anything just like this one, or any info at all really. It’s full Dura Ace, looks like 7400, which puts it mid 80s I believe. Everything is DA, seat post, pedals, chain, hubs, the only things not DA are the stem and bars which are Cinelli, and the saddle which is old and worn out. I paid $50.00 for it, I know I got a good deal, it’s a sweet bike. Once I get it cleaned up it’s going to be awesome, I haven’t gone over it thoroughly yet, but I’d say it’s around 9/10 condition wise. Needs new brake hoods, new saddle, new front tire and tube for sure, maybe more.... Anyone have any idea what this bike is worth? As of right now I plan on cleaning it up, getting it road worthy, and riding it for a while; but I always seem to sell bikes to buy more bikes.... Thanks in advance for any info you can share with me!

Old 06-13-19, 09:22 PM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Checking the calendar, not April 1.....

Old 06-13-19, 09:49 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What is that supposed to mean?

Old 06-13-19, 11:04 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
Originally Posted by FSU421
...it's quite surprising to find a Kellogg frame in good condition like that and more or less mechanically intact for 50 bucks. So it was a comment about April Fool's jokes. I have one of his titanium framed bikes, and at one of the NAHBS shows here, he was more or less in charge of the titanium frame builders workshop.

I think he just retired....https://www.bicycling.com/news/a2657...ycles-closing/
Old 06-14-19, 12:38 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,235 Times in 1,050 Posts
Tom and Jeff at Spectrum are retiring soon, not taking any more orders after July 31, 2019.

Anyway, based on the serial number (210 is the model, 61 is the size, I forget what the 19 means, the 03 81 is the date of manufacture, the 002 is the serial number for that month) what I suspect is that it is a Spectrum repainted and re-decaled Ross Tom Kellogg Signature, which is NOT a bad thing! I'd have had a heart attack if I found something like that for $50. What a score!

Here is what I would do: Find out what it is first. Call or send an email to Tom at Spectrum. His info can be found on his website: https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/
If you email him, send him a pic of the bike overall, and the serial number area on the bottom bracket. When I inquired about a frame of his that I have, it took him a couple days to get back to me, so be patient. Or just call him. He (or Jeff) can tell you exactly what it is, then go from there.

Last edited by hazetguy; 06-14-19 at 01:21 AM.
Old 06-14-19, 05:48 AM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
$50.00

Yep, $50.00 is what I paid. The guy I bought it from got it for FREE. He’s a contractor, did some work on a house, the homeowners were cleaning out the garage and said he could have it. It was filthy from sitting in the garage for 20 years or more. He wiped it down a little, put a new tire on the back, rode it and decided it was too big. He called me, because he knows I’m a bit of a bike nut, to see if I had any interest in it. I’d never seen a Spectrum before, never heard of them even, a quick search of eBay sold items showed nothing. I could see the titanium frames were worth a good bit, but no steel ones to be found anywhere for any reference. Being full DA I figured it was worth at least $200. He said he paid $30 for the rear tire and tube and he’d take $50 for the bike, so I bought it. I figured worst case scenario if I decided to sell it I could make $150 or so.
Old 06-14-19, 06:56 AM
hazetguy 

There was no Spectrum in 1981, so your bike isn't a Spectrum. https://www.spectrum-cycles.com/about.php At that time Tom was working at Ross, heading up the Signature department. The serial number stamping is "Ross Signature Series" -like in terms of numbering sequences and locations. Oh yeah, 19 would be the paint color code.
In the '82 Ross catalog, the only Signature Series bike shown measured in cm, and with braze on dt shifters is a Road Criterium Super Record. Doesn't mean that someone could have just bought the frame and added Dura Ace, or changed it over the years. The lugs on yours are awesome, love the fork crown.
Again, I'm thinking yours is an older Signature Ross, that has been repainted by Tom at Spectrum and new decals put on.
I'm both really happy (don't need another bike right now), and really sad it's not my size (because I'd love to own it)!

Anyway, as I mentioned before, get in touch with Tom at Spectrum (he's a really nice guy). He can tell you what it is.

I'm not a Ross or Tom Kellogg expert, but in recent months I've spent a lot of time researching and gathering info about my TK Signature frame. I even went to "The Barn" a few months ago, what a trip!

Old 06-14-19, 08:39 AM
Paletti

Bikes: 1985 DeRosa SLX, 1994 DeRosa Primato, 2009 DeRosa x-light, 1993 Paletti, 1983 Colnago aero cx, 1984 Colnago Mexico, 1983 Colner strato professional, 2016 Colnago V1-R

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, $50.00 is what I paid. The guy I bought it from got it for FREE. He’s a contractor, did some work on a house, the homeowners were cleaning out the garage and said he could have it. It was filthy from sitting in the garage for 20 years or more. He wiped it down a little, put a new tire on the back, rode it and decided it was too big. He called me, because he knows I’m a bit of a bike nut, to see if I had any interest in it. I’d never seen a Spectrum before, never heard of them even, a quick search of eBay sold items showed nothing. I could see the titanium frames were worth a good bit, but no steel ones to be found anywhere for any reference. Being full DA I figured it was worth at least $200. He said he paid $30 for the rear tire and tube and he’d take $50 for the bike, so I bought it. I figured worst case scenario if I decided to sell it I could make $150 or so.
Very very nice pick up. I've seen Dura Ace groups in worse shape than this one sell for 400 bucks on ebay. I don't know about the value of his frames but this one is in very nice shape, so overall this is a great find.
Old 06-14-19, 08:50 AM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I sent an email to Tom with some pictures, hopefully he can help with some more info! When I get the bike all cleaned up I’ll post some more pics!
Old 06-14-19, 07:59 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Black Rustines brake hoods meant for Campagnolo Record lever bodies are a perfect fit for those DA7400 levers.
Old 06-14-19, 08:11 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tom Kellogg replied !

Old 06-14-19, 08:35 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 634 Posts
I'm usually on the cheap side when pricing bikes but this one is kinda special with great cosmetics. I would put the value at $1500 or so rare to see a nice hand built top end US built frame with nice full DA pop up at any price much less $80.
Old 06-15-19, 08:22 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Cool reply from Tom. Based on interviews I've read, he seems like a very down-to-earth guy.
Old 06-15-19, 09:19 AM
hazetguy 

Indeed he is, and so is Jeff Duser. When I went to The Barn, I was very nervous about meeting them. They were incredibly gracious, talkative, helpful, etc. I wound up spending almost three hours there getting the grand tour. It was amazing.

Steve, did he give you any indication what a Model 210 is? Perhaps what the tubing is? (maybe send a follow up 'thank you' email asking those questions, would be helpful for future documentation of the bike). I'd be very curious if he knew who the original owner was.
The lugs are awesome, again, the fork crown is super slick.
What do the black w/ world chanpion stickers on the seat tube say?
It's a really great bike, and an unbelievable score.

Last edited by hazetguy; 06-15-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-15-19, 10:19 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Let the arguments and attacks begin, but most likely stolen at some point. People who buy spectrums don’t give them away, and I’ve heard that contractor story several times on bikes that smelled stolen.

Tom Kellogg/spectrum is one of the most important builders/designers in US bike history, his paint is probably the best in the industry, and his frames define beauty. As far as value, at least 1,000 on the bay. On cl, who knows.

kellogg started spectrum after leaving Ross, where he headed in their attempt at doing something like what paramount did with schwinn.
Old 06-15-19, 11:20 AM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Let the arguments and attacks begin, but most likely stolen at some point. People who buy spectrums don’t give them away, and I’ve heard that contractor story several times on bikes that smelled stolen..
Again, this is why this "used" bike hobby is tricky at times.

I certainly agree that Spectrums do not grow on trees.

I would do my very best to contact Tom and ask him about this particular bike.

BTW I purchased a very nice Chris Kvale a few years ago at a garage sale in Duluth.

I paid very little for the bike. I was having some work done on the bike when the correct, original owner id'd the bike at a local shop.

I gave it back to the original owner right away and he was nice enough to reimburse me the $95 I paid the fellow in Duluth.

However, I did ask him to give me a shot at it if it ever became available.
Old 06-15-19, 11:35 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by gomango
Again, this is why this "used" bike hobby is tricky at times.

I certainly agree that Spectrums do not grow on trees.

I would do my very best to contact Tom and ask him about this particular bike.

BTW I purchased a very nice Chris Kvale a few years ago at a garage sale in Duluth.

I paid very little for the bike. I was having some work done on the bike when the correct, original owner id'd the bike at a local shop.

I gave it back to the original owner right away and he was nice enough to reimburse me the $95 I paid the fellow in Duluth.

However, I did ask him to give me a shot at it if it ever became available.
You are a class act mi amigo!

It’s also possible that it was left by a relative and just not appreciated.
Old 06-15-19, 11:44 AM
gomango

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
You are a class act mi amigo!

It’s also possible that it was left by a relative and just not appreciated.
Thanks. Right back at you.

Yes, sometimes crazy things happen with these bikes we love so much.

I would personally feel cruddy if it were my bike and it met a sad conclusion.

That's why it would be right for the op to do an exhaustive search/owner's history on this one.

This just feels like a "too good to be true."
Old 06-15-19, 01:04 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's not stolen!

Good grief..... I should have said I paid $500.00 for it to keep the crazies at bay. There are always those people who think if you didn't pay full retail, or full value for something either you stole it or bought if from someone who did....

I too am a contractor, like my friend I got this bike from. Customers give us things all the time. They see you with a big truck or a trailer and figure you're an easy way to get rid of their unwanted stuff. Sometimes it junk, and sometimes it's valuable.

I did a job last year for an elderly woman who needed some work done to her house so she could sell it and move to a condo. As she was directing me through here garage to locate some siding I needed I spotted a bike. I could see it was a Raleigh and just commented "cool old bike". She said I could have it. She said her son bought it from our LBS in the 80's, rode it for a year or so and it's sat in the garage collecting dirt and grime ever since. Being a bike lover I loaded it up and took it home. After a quick cleaning I realized it was in very good shape. It needed a lot of detailing, tires, tubes, bar tape, brake hoods, etc.... I knew it was worth more than $0.00 so I knocked $100.00 off her invoice, told her the materials were less than expected. She was happy thinking she found a home for the bike, and I felt like I secretly gave her a good deal. After many hours of cleaning, tuning, sourcing parts, and restoring the bike, it turned out beautiful. I sold that bike for $600.00. After all the time and money I spent on it I figured I netted around $375.00. I didn't feel bad about any of it.

When my friend called me and said he got a free bike from a house he was working on I assumed it was just that. Something like what I got with the Raleigh, or some similar story. Then after everyone started crying "it's stolen" I decided to call him and get the full story.

He did get it from a customer who's house he was working on. The customer was his Aunt, his Mom's sister. She had married a guy in the 80's who was an avid cyclist. He always had a stable of 5-6 bikes. At some point he came down with Parkinsons and eventually passed away a few years ago. His aunt is cleaning out the house to sell. There were still 4 bikes collecting dust in the garage. She gave one bike to my friends brother, one to the other brother, and two to my friend. The other bike he got is a Gary Fisher Wahoo that he decided to keep since it fits him better than this one. He said he was going to put the Spectrum of Facebook swap for $50.00 so I gave him $50.00. I also agreed to sell him my 1999 full Dura Ace Cannondale R4000 for $425.00, which is considerably less than I wanted for it. Also if I do sell this bike for a considerable profit I will inevitably kick him back some money.

I know I didn't have to explain all this, but it pisses me off when people assume something is stolen or that you're a piece of crap for taking advantage of someone, when neither are true. However that's the internet world we live in now..... full of snowflakes, sissies, and finger pointers....

Sorry, not sorry, rant over.

I attached a pic of the Raleigh I got for FREE, and the Cannondale I'm giving my friend a deal on, just for fun.....

Now if we could get back to the Spectrum that would be great, thanks!
Old 06-15-19, 01:31 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

You’re defensive for a reason...and you know damn well there’s a strong chance it was stolen. You’re rationalizing it, like most do. There’s no need - we’ve all bought bikes that may have been stolen...it’s a risk in the hobby. Sometimes the risk is higher, sometimes lower. Yours is high. The right thing to do is to proceed as gmg suggested, but I’m sure you’d rather deny the risk and instead call people far more experienced than you, who have had these deals, crazy.

ps - usually contractor reps are well deserved in my experience. Sorry, not sorry

Enjoy the possibly stolen bike, it’s a beauty.
Old 06-15-19, 01:32 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26401 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I stole something from the 5 &10 when I was a little kid, but my mom made me take it back.
Old 06-15-19, 01:47 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LMAO, you can both **** off, I came here for help and got a bunch of bull **** attitude from haters. You all think it's stolen, I gave you the serial number, do your due diligence. I will continue to talk to Tom Kellogg about this bike, but I'm done with this forum. Unfortunately I can't delete this post.
Old 06-15-19, 01:50 PM
gomango

\

Sorry, not sorry, rant over.
........... So, I take it it you didn't like our advice.

No one ever said you stole the bike.

I would still investigate this if I were you.

It's a blast doing the research. Have at it.
Old 06-15-19, 01:58 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did investigate it. You may not have said I stole it, but you all believe it's stolen. I know the truth, and don't care if you believe me or not. I have just decided not share any more of this journey with a bunch of people that believe there is some sort of foul play a foot. You all sure can go trash someone else's bike story. It's too bad a few [ edit by mod to delete offensive language] ruined an interesting bike find for everyone else.
Old 06-15-19, 02:03 PM
FSU421

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One last thing.... the dude that was having the stolen bike worked on at his LBS, he stole it or knew it was stolen. He got busted at the LBS by it's rightful owner. He then tried to spin it to look like a saint for returning to it's rightful owner, after he got busted. He didn't research it.
Likes For FSU421:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.