Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Aermer 100 tubing stickers?

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 06-16-19, 12:55 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 29 Posts

Would any of you custom framebuilders happened to know whether Aermet 100 tubing ever had a sticker? I bought a second-hand custom Aermet 100 track frame, and it saw some life as a street fixie, so the paint is a bit rough. In the next year, I'm planning on repainting it, getting rid of the threadless adapter, and turning it back into the track machine it wanted to be. I'd love to get a repro of the original tubing sticker, if that ever existed.
Old 06-16-19, 02:29 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 334 Posts
Crazy strong stuff; 285 ksi tensile strength. Found some good info here...The Bicycle Info Project :: Carpenter Technology Aer-Met 100 Steel Tubing

I'd make a decal like the Curve bike in that link. Very cool.
Old 06-16-19, 03:33 PM
cormacf

Bikes: 2017 Lynskey Sportive Disc, 2021 Lynskey Pro29, 1977 Schwinn Super LeTour 12.2

Originally Posted by Nessism
Crazy strong stuff; 285 ksi tensile strength. Found some good info here...The Bicycle Info Project :: Carpenter Technology Aer-Met 100 Steel Tubing

I'd make a decal like the Curve bike in that link. Very cool.
Thanks. I emailed Carpenter Technology to see if they have any photos of downtube stickers or a font file I could use for my own.

The other option is putting 1980s Peugeot red/yellow/orange rainbow decals on it and really confusing everyone.
Old 06-16-19, 07:45 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 841 Times in 475 Posts
Didn't Black Diamond stop using Aermet in their ice tools because it kept breaking? Strong but maybe brittle.

Hopefully it's a little more compliant as a tube.
Old 06-16-19, 08:29 PM
cormacf

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Didn't Black Diamond stop using Aermet in their ice tools because it kept breaking? Strong but maybe brittle.

Hopefully it's a little more compliant as a tube.
Apparently, it was very hard on tools, and you could destroy the tubes pretty easily during construction. Nothing you'd want to build touring bike with. For a track bike, though, it seems like a nice way to get a lugged frame that's still nice and stiff. Or that's my hope. If I can manage to snap it, I'll be very proud, and then I'll get to buy my NJS bike.
Old 06-17-19, 08:42 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by cormacf
Apparently, it was very hard on tools, and you could destroy the tubes pretty easily during construction. Nothing you'd want to build touring bike with. For a track bike, though, it seems like a nice way to get a lugged frame that's still nice and stiff. Or that's my hope. If I can manage to snap it, I'll be very proud, and then I'll get to buy my NJS bike.
Strength and stiffness are independent characteristics, and all steel alloys share the same modulus of elasticity so the materials stiffness is constant regardless of specific alloy. Stiffness of a tube will depend on the thickness and diameter; most Aermer tubes were quite thin so unless the diameter is upped, the tube will be pretty flexi.
Old 06-17-19, 08:14 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 2,272 Posts
I do remember when Aermet came "onto" the market. I don't remember decals, if any. But as a recent thread here has proven my memory isn't ironclad Andy
Old 07-16-19, 05:50 AM
ja6610

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an Aermet tandem custom made by Dennis Bushnell in Washington state around 1988 or so. As far as I know, he was the only builder who made tandems out of the stuff. He's now not building under that name anymore from what I understand. As you mentioned, the stuff was increadibly strong, but too brittle. I've also heard that it could destroy the hole saws typically used to miter tubes. I was told that Dennis used grinders of some sort instead. Mine developed 2 different cracks in the front seat tube, which were repaired by Dennis by replacing most of the seat tube. After the repair, I had it repainted.

I remember that the original paint job did say something about Aermet on the front of the TT, but there was no decal on the bottom of the ST as typical in the high end steel bikes. The TT decal, if I remember correctly, wasn't professionally designed, and when I had it repainted after the repair, I didn't have the painter replace it. If anyone would know about labels it would be Dennis Bushnell, since he was one of the custom builders who used it most frequently. But I really don't think that there was any type of professionally designed label for the tubing - I think that the framebuilders were just putting their own plain-type labels on them. I was told that Dennis now welds for a place called Rodriguez Custom Tandems (still on the web) and has patented his own expanding front BB eccentric for tightening front tandem timing chains that's used on many higher end tandems. I just checked and Bushnell Tandems and his eccentrics are still on the web.

My aermet tandem is about half-way down on a German tandem page with some high-end tandems, but it looks like since I'm new on the forum I can't post a URL to it. I only ride it occasionally anymore.

Best,

Jeff