Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Difference in gear ratios?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Difference in gear ratios?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-19, 02:23 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
No such thing as concerns about "extreme combos" when one only has a single chain-ring and cog, although getting chain-line correct is quite important on a fixed gear as is chain tension.

-Bandera
Likes For Bandera:
Old 07-01-19, 08:37 AM
estudiante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey85
Hey all,

I have kind of an academic question...

Let's assume you have a bike with a given set of wheels, cranks, and tires. Is there any difference in gear ratios, if the gear inches stay close to the same? So, for instance, 40x15 and 48x18 are both 72 gear inches (or a gain ratio of 5.4). Is there any functional difference between the two setups as far as acceleration and braking ability?
Sheldon brown says bigger chainrings have slightlyless friction, less chain tension and longer chain/sprocket life but they are slightly heavier and chainstay clearance may be a problem on some frames. On the other hand Smaller chainrings are slightly lighter and have more chainstay clearance, with the downside of Rapid chain/sprocket wear and greater chain tension (increased likelihood of the axle's slipping in the frame)

I think if chain tension increases acceleration may be negatively affected “slightly” I feel like that when i am adjusting the chain tension during tyre change. I may be wrong of course.