Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

C.P. Rear hub, is it flip-flop like newer ones?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-19, 02:29 PM
Jantaras

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Hello,

I plant to build a wheelset for ss/fixed gear bike.
I have this C.P. old rear hub, looks like it's a C. P. Moyeu De Course made by Pelissier hub.

Can you educate me about its vintage? I thought it could be from 40's-50's? Also, are the threads standart or some weird ones (to make it simple, can I use new ss sprockets, fixed sprockets and a lock ring, will they fit?)
Also, why did they need the fixed side? It is for bike that can be used on track and road races just by flipping the wheel?
The OLD is 117mm. I think some of the locknuts/spacers are not original. What could be it's original OLD?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Image001.jpg (138.6 KB, 28 views)
Image002.jpg (143.1 KB, 27 views)
Image003.jpg (135.0 KB, 28 views)
Image004.jpg (132.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-15-19, 02:38 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Lots of British club-style bikes used to have a fixed/free rear hub. Not everything was for racing.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-15-19, 02:40 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
I would suspect it is an older hub; it looks spaced for a 4 or 5 speed block on the freewheel side and a normal fixed cog with lockring on the other. I have seen less expensive versions of this hub on bikes built in the early 70s, especially during the era when distributors were scouring Europe for bikes to sell in the U.S.

It would indeed have been used in both fixed and freewheel modes - but not on the same ride. One would remove the derailleurs and shorten the chain to train during the winter months on the fixed cog per the old C.O.N.I. manual and other classical cycling literature and tradition, then flip the wheel back around and re-install the shifty bits with the longer chain for racing season. In a much less affluent time, having one wheel that could perform both functions made a lot of sense.

I think it's a cool hub and would be great for an all-out vintage restoration, but personally if I was going to build a single-speed/fixed-gear wheelset that I was planning on actually riding a lot, I would acquire something modern in a 120 mm spacing, preferably with sealed bearings. The difference between the Maillard track hub I had years ago vs. Formula/IRO/Origin8 hubs is astounding. For that matter, I've been very pleased with Surly New Track (as opposed to the NEW new track) and Kogswell fixed-gear hubs I've used.
Old 07-15-19, 03:10 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

Thank you for posting.

Pelissier products were done by Etablissements Perrin of St. Etienne.

My guess is that it may be very slightly later than you suggest.

One common trade term for this pattern of hub is "training hub."

Perhaps member @amirinisrael will have something to contribute...

-----