Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

cetmaracks

Old 06-06-09, 12:36 PM
noreaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cetmaracks

Please be advised that you are taking a risk when ordering from Lane Cagey at cetmaracks. I placed an order for a front rack in February (he charged my card for $120 immediately) and I don't have it yet (June). I e-mailed him maybe five times, he responded once, saying "it's going out this week!" which it didn't.
I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, they investigated and emailed and called him, no response from him - check cetmaracks out at the BBB website.
In short, Lane stole my money.
With all the positive press cetmaracks has received I'm sure there are far more positive experiences out there than mine, but I thought I'd let others know about my experience.
Old 06-06-09, 04:25 PM
metaljim
Banned.

Bikes: 2009 Surly Steamroller, 19?? Fuji ?, 19?? Univega Viva Sport, Marin/Xtracycle combo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Handbuilt goods aren't like shopping at McDonalds dude. If you have to wait, you're gonna wait. Lane has been late on lots of orders lately (he's moved shop twice or something this year?), but always comes through. You're not even the first person to make a thread about this. Put aside your modern customer service mentality for a moment and accept that sometimes things don't work the way you want. And when the rack shows up, sell it locally if you want; I'm sure someone will cover your "stolen money" in a heartbeat. If you're near Austin, that someone may even be me.

Most people know by now that the wait time isn't accurate, but worth it. And no one cares about the BBB anymore.

In short: calm down, it's worth it.
Old 06-06-09, 04:36 PM
qmsdc15
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Above your front wheel is the worst place on a bicycle to put a load.
Old 06-06-09, 05:28 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metaljim
Put aside your modern customer service mentality for a moment and accept that sometimes things don't work the way you want.
+1. A few late orders is unfortunate. Forum posts trashing someone are forever.

Originally Posted by qmsdc15
Yes, but it's convenient. I use a handlebar bag on all three of my bikes for that reason.

My bands:
Old 06-06-09, 05:39 PM
bloompedal08

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What if you put a really beefy front wheel, like a 700 35 36 spoke double walled blah-blah doohickey, up front, and grew really strong arms?

I'm wondering if cetma can build a 24 rail rack? i know they can, but would it be practicable? on a fixie?

I will order one if all conditions are met.

/edit, and if it's affordable.
Old 06-06-09, 06:41 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There's "late" and there's "it's going out this week" and it's been three months.

The money should have been refunded.
Old 06-06-09, 07:52 PM
oldfolksmashers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noreaster
check cetmaracks out at the BBB website.
Checked it out, no records exist. AWESOME!

Old 06-07-09, 08:54 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I do custom work a lot and if I keep the customer up to date, they don't mind waiting. No one likes to be kept in limbo. If this story is true, it is an example of very poor customer relations. He should have refunded the money when he realized he was way behind schedule and then called the customer to see if he still wanted one when they were made.
Old 06-07-09, 12:05 PM
mdiluca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
am i the only one to think one should charge customers only at delivery time, cmon, we are not talking custom framing 700+ bucks tubesets
Old 06-07-09, 01:01 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by metaljim
Handbuilt goods aren't like shopping at McDonalds dude. If you have to wait, you're gonna wait. Lane has been late on lots of orders lately (he's moved shop twice or something this year?), but always comes through. You're not even the first person to make a thread about this. Put aside your modern customer service mentality for a moment and accept that sometimes things don't work the way you want. And when the rack shows up, sell it locally if you want; I'm sure someone will cover your "stolen money" in a heartbeat. If you're near Austin, that someone may even be me.

Most people know by now that the wait time isn't accurate, but worth it. And no one cares about the BBB anymore.

In short: calm down, it's worth it.

Why do you feel compelled to defend the guy again?

If your wait time is four months instead of four weeks, then it's time to update your website. Being known for not making delivery dates doesn't make it acceptable, it just makes you a ****up.
Old 06-07-09, 02:01 PM
Johnny Vagabond
Johnny Vagabond

Bikes: 2006 Surly Long Haul Trucker, 2005 Surly Pugsley, 2004 Surly Karate Monkey with an Xtracycle,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having the EXACT SAME ISSUE. I ordered a rack in November not expecting it until February, but I have yet to receive it. I understand how cottage industries work and I do not mind supporting them, but there is a definite difference between being mad that something takes longer and not having any responses to any e-mails. I have sent him several, all ignored. I spoke to him on the phone once, back in March, where he told me that he would be shipping my rack out in a week.

I know things get busy, and some customers hound you, but one e-mail every 6 weeks is not that at all. I'm sure he is a good guy, but this is not a very good customer relationship.
Old 06-08-09, 02:44 AM
metaljim
Banned.

Bikes: 2009 Surly Steamroller, 19?? Fuji ?, 19?? Univega Viva Sport, Marin/Xtracycle combo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
Why do you feel compelled to defend the guy again?
This is the only time I've defended the guy that makes CETMA racks.
Old 06-08-09, 07:15 AM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is unfortunate but I've seen this before with small custom builders. Took almost 2 years to get a custom frame from a builder who initially told me it would be a couple of months. Worked out fine in the end but I really got angry about a year into the ordeal. I will not go through that process again. I feel for ya, probably the guy is really backed up and feels like time talking to angry customers is time he should be spending building racks.
Old 06-08-09, 09:00 AM
crackerdog

Bikes: xtracycle, electric recumbent, downtube folder and more

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If someone is that backed up, hire someone. These are racks, not frames, so it should be pretty easy to get some quality help in this economy.
Old 06-09-09, 05:01 PM
CMC SanDiego

Bikes: Too many to list, all titanium or steel.

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
It sounds like Lane should take a clue from the Acorn Bag people. When they get more orders than they can reasonably fulfill in a logical time frame they put a note on their website saying "We won't be taking orders again until...". This not only keeps customers from getting aggravated, it makes their products seem like they are highly desireable and available to only the select few that get their orders in when the brief windows open up.

Even if these are the best racks in the world communication with the customers (especially something like email that can be responded to at any time of the day or night) has to happen or it will kill his business.
Old 06-10-09, 09:39 AM
cman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is the rack a custom or just one of his normal designs? He should have offered you a deal on something comparable or better already in stock.
Old 06-10-09, 11:11 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's not true. If your bike's geometry is designed for a front load it can work really well - like the Kogswell Porteur bikes. OTOH if your bike is designed for a rear load or a balanced front to rear load - like the Surly LHT than it's not a great idea putting a heavy load high up front.
Old 06-10-09, 03:35 PM
Kimmitt 

Bikes: RadRunner Plus, Kona Dew Deluxe

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, I agree; the Acorn Bag people are fine. It's okay if you don't have the capacity to sell to me; just let me know and that's that.
Old 06-10-09, 05:07 PM
superjohnny

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck fixed & 1 geared, & a DeSalvo Ti roadie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you paid by credit card have them reverse the charge. It's too bad they can't follow through on your order, I'm sure they are not intending to rip you off, but clearly it feels that way.
Old 06-13-09, 10:12 AM
fit24hrs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I almost ordered a CETMA. I just want to add that if you want other options for a stout rack, look up "The Rack Lady" on flickr. Prices are comparable but as far as crafts(wo)manship, there is no compare. Every rack is full custom and a work of art. She even finished it early. I've been VERY happy with my porteur.
Old 06-14-09, 12:10 AM
Researcher
Northern CA

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To help out other people interested in "The Rack Lady" that fit24hrs mentioned above, here is the info I found:

Leah Stargardter, The Rack Lady
The builder is out of Milwaukee and doesn't have a site yet, but her business e-mail is 12packrack@gmail.com

Some photos/albums of her work

12 pack rack
https://www.flickr.com/photos/twwilli...7601089565440/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16266982@N00/3533700367/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2kings/2922788715/

* I've been wanting a front rack similar to cetma/civia, but can't justify the $$ for my regular commuter bike (used Trek from craigslist, $150). So I'm hoping to either find a cheaper product, or possibly make my own. But I have no experience with welding or even brazing, so...
Old 06-15-09, 12:13 PM
mdiluca

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how cool is she has no website, fitting steps are hand written and tubing looks stainless
Old 06-15-09, 02:46 PM
bergermeister

Bikes: soma smoothie es, '80's bridgestone mb-2, '86 stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Researcher
To help out other people interested in "The Rack Lady" that fit24hrs mentioned above, here is the info I found:

Leah Stargardter, The Rack Lady
The builder is out of Milwaukee and doesn't have a site yet, but her business e-mail is 12packrack@gmail.com

Some photos/albums of her work

12 pack rack
https://www.flickr.com/photos/twwilli...7601089565440/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16266982@N00/3533700367/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/2kings/2922788715/

* I've been wanting a front rack similar to cetma/civia, but can't justify the $$ for my regular commuter bike (used Trek from craigslist, $150). So I'm hoping to either find a cheaper product, or possibly make my own. But I have no experience with welding or even brazing, so...
You could make one pretty inexpensively. I just flipped an extra rear rack that I had laying around, and bent some flat bar into a bracket to the fork crown, with a vinyl c-clamp on the rack. For aesthetics and a larger footprint for cargo, I attached planks of wood perpendicular across the top, but not covering the front and rear of the rack so as to still have areas to attach bungees. With the wood on top, it doesn't look like a backwards rear rack.
Old 06-15-09, 02:57 PM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Researcher
...Leah Stargardter, The Rack Lady
The builder is out of Milwaukee and doesn't have a site yet...
Those racks are hawt. Thanks for the heads up; I'm about to go car-lite boarderline car-free and I may get one of these.

Old 06-26-09, 07:14 PM
bellweatherman

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yikes. Sorry to hear your negative experience from Cetma Racks. It'll make me think twice before ordering from them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.