Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The VO fender install directions are HORRENDOUS! How do I get these things on?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The VO fender install directions are HORRENDOUS! How do I get these things on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-11, 11:18 AM
Amesja
Cottered Crank

Bikes: 1954 Raleigh Sports 1974 Raleigh Competition 1969 Raleigh Twenty 1964 Raleigh LTD-3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
You should be able to find plasti-dip at just about any home store. I'm surprised that Home Despot didn't have it. Maybe the person you talked to was incorrect. Look in the Electrical aisle. Sometimes they have it next to the liquid electrical tape or near the electrical hand tools.

Menards has it. I like Menards better than the Despot because they are cheaper by a good 25-30% on average and often even more. The problem with Menards is they are horrible about restocking and are always out of stuff.
Old 03-22-11, 01:24 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
Cool, Neal. So do you just brush some on the underside of the bracket? Do you let it harden before installing or do you use it like an adhesive?
I dipped the whole bracket in to coat the whole thing (I used clear PlastiDip), let it dry, and then proceeded with fender installation as usual. If I do it again, I probably would try to get a bit less of the coating on the bracket; it actually built up a bit too much on the tangs that fold under the fender.

Neal
Old 04-21-12, 07:45 PM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
awesome thread.

in san diego, it hardly even rains. we don't really need fenders, but i needed a new "rain" bike and VO had a nice sale on stainless fenders so i snapped some up. my experience installing fenders was pretty much nil.

it only took me 2 days, 2 drilled holes, and 1 trip to the hardware store

the fenders are 650b/26" and the stumpjumper has CRAZY room everywhere, so they didn't really work out of the box with a nice fender line. the front daruma didn't work with the "bi-plane" fork, so i opted for the L-bracket...which had to be slid all the way down (and there's still lots of room).

in the rear, i screwed up the first drilled hole because i lined it up with the bridge with the fender all the way up. when you drop it down to a better fender line, the hole moves more towards the rear. oh well. i just added a small bolt/nut to cover it and re-drilled. i used something i found at the hardware store as spacers (i forget what they were called). i also bought 2 of every M5 from 30mm to 60mm bolt to make sure i would get a good fit. lastly, i bought some rubber washers.

i can slide the rear wheel off without issue. i think that small gap in the front has been remedied as well.

Last edited by illwafer; 04-21-12 at 07:52 PM.
Old 04-21-12, 09:30 PM
ilikebikes
K2ProFlex baby!

Location: My response would have been something along the lines of: "Does your bike have computer controlled suspension? Then shut your piehole, this baby is from the future!"

Bikes: to many to list

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Randochap
Anyone who pays top dollar for Honjos, gets top quality and is likely to be very happy with the product.

Like maintaining bicycles themselves, fitting Honjo fenders requires a little mechanical know-how. Applying a little patience and forethought will be rewarded with your bike sporting the best fender known to bikedom.
Had this conversation more than once, but I'm still game. Honjos are for people who think top dollar means top notch products, when it comes to Honjos they are just to much trouble to install, thats all, my chrome Wald fenders went on easy, only took a few minutes, I used the VO hardware and they look ****ing fantastic and needed no adjustments after all this time.
You see, their morals, their code...it's a bad joke, dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these...These "civilized" people...they'll eat each other. See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve
Old 04-21-12, 10:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by illwafer
awesome thread.

in san diego, it hardly even rains. we don't really need fenders, but i needed a new "rain" bike and VO had a nice sale on stainless fenders so i snapped some up. my experience installing fenders was pretty much nil.

it only took me 2 days, 2 drilled holes, and 1 trip to the hardware store

the fenders are 650b/26" and the stumpjumper has CRAZY room everywhere, so they didn't really work out of the box with a nice fender line. the front daruma didn't work with the "bi-plane" fork, so i opted for the L-bracket...which had to be slid all the way down (and there's still lots of room).

in the rear, i screwed up the first drilled hole because i lined it up with the bridge with the fender all the way up. when you drop it down to a better fender line, the hole moves more towards the rear. oh well. i just added a small bolt/nut to cover it and re-drilled. i used something i found at the hardware store as spacers (i forget what they were called). i also bought 2 of every M5 from 30mm to 60mm bolt to make sure i would get a good fit. lastly, i bought some rubber washers.

i can slide the rear wheel off without issue. i think that small gap in the front has been remedied as well.

If you reference the old French bikes the Oops on the rear fender can be covered up really well, just takes effort to fabricate an extended diamond reinforcement... and all would be right with the world. The concentric fender to tire arc has to be applauded, so many are painfully off.
I have a set of fenders, but have almost it appears made it through the entire year no needing them, even the rain days have allowed dry rides to work, even if the streets were damp... only in Southern California.
Old 04-22-12, 08:08 AM
illwafer
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
If you reference the old French bikes the Oops on the rear fender can be covered up really well, just takes effort to fabricate an extended diamond reinforcement... and all would be right with the world.
ah. that's a good idea. boulder bikes sells this:
https://www.renehersestore.com/servle...diamond/Detail

it looks like you have to drill 2 more holes...

a small rivet would probably work well too.
Old 04-08-19, 01:44 PM
edouble8

Bikes: '87 De Rosa Professional, Late '70s/Early '80s De Rosa Professional, '82 Rossin Record, '81 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo 12V, '87 3Rensho SR, '87 Marinoni, '75 Witcomb USA Touring, '91 Cannondale ST1000, '84 Shogun 600

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I'm trying to install Honjo fenders for the first time. I've installed SKS & Planet Bike plastic fenders before, which were involved, but at least they were pre-drilled. They all came out pretty descent. But these Honjo's are taking a while to get it right, especially the rears where the frame at the chainstays are narrower than the fender itself. So I'm trying the JP Weigle trick that southpawboston posted. I've hammered in the dimples, but the tire (28mm width) is rubbing, so I have to massage the fender for tire clearance. I'm trying not to cut the fenders, so I hope I can get it to work. I'll post photos when I can, so wish me luck...or any other advise from you fender installers out there.
Old 04-09-19, 03:01 PM
edouble8

Bikes: '87 De Rosa Professional, Late '70s/Early '80s De Rosa Professional, '82 Rossin Record, '81 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo 12V, '87 3Rensho SR, '87 Marinoni, '75 Witcomb USA Touring, '91 Cannondale ST1000, '84 Shogun 600

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry it's not the "right" side to take a photo of the bike, but this is just for rear fender mock-up

Looks good from this view...

...however, once the tire is installed.
Old 04-09-19, 05:47 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by edouble8
I'm trying to install Honjo fenders for the first time. I've installed SKS & Planet Bike plastic fenders before, which were involved, but at least they were pre-drilled. They all came out pretty descent. But these Honjo's are taking a while to get it right, especially the rears where the frame at the chainstays are narrower than the fender itself. So I'm trying the JP Weigle trick that southpawboston posted. I've hammered in the dimples, but the tire (28mm width) is rubbing, so I have to massage the fender for tire clearance. I'm trying not to cut the fenders, so I hope I can get it to work. I'll post photos when I can, so wish me luck...or any other advise from you fender installers out there.
Can your wheel go back any farther in the dropout?
Old 04-09-19, 06:28 PM
edouble8

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Can your wheel go back any farther in the dropout?
Yeah, that's one option I didn't try yet. I'll give it a go when I get back on it. Mahalo for your suggestion!
Old 04-10-19, 11:43 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by edouble8
Yeah, that's one option I didn't try yet. I'll give it a go when I get back on it. Mahalo for your suggestion!
Another thing to try is to use a wine cork as a spacer to push the fender farther away from the chainstay bridge, which places the mounting area in a wider spot between the chainstays. This would allow you to make a less severe pinch, or even to forego pinching the fender altogether.
Old 04-10-19, 12:42 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I find that beer and patience are essential for metal fender installs. Good luck @edouble8 have you checked out this
from Riv? you even get tunes
Old 04-10-19, 01:10 PM
edouble8

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
Another thing to try is to use a wine cork as a spacer to push the fender farther away from the chainstay bridge, which places the mounting area in a wider spot between the chainstays. This would allow you to make a less severe pinch, or even to forego pinching the fender altogether.
Yeah, I've seen photos of others using cork here. I'll definitely try out your suggestions. I can only visualize at this point, so I can't wait to get back on it. Mahalo!

Originally Posted by ryansu
I find that beer and patience are essential for metal fender installs. Good luck @edouble8 have you checked out this video from Riv? you even get tunes
Haha! Agree with beers and bikes in general! Yeah, I've seen that video years ago when I first tackled SKS fenders for my commuter, which was very helpful. I also found a
video on YouTube, which helped as well. Mahalo for your encouragements!
Old 04-11-19, 10:40 AM
Slowride79

Bikes: 50s, 60s, 70s Nottingham/Worksop bikes, becanes, Gitane, Bertin, Lion of Sochaux

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
i have the VO 37mm pre-drilled fenders as well, stein. i had no problems installing them on my raleigh comp, although i did have to DIY some of the mounting hardware. that was due to no fault of the fender hardware, but of the bike itself.

rear fender:

front fender:

r-clip:

front fork crown daruma bolt (needed two rubber washers for proper fender line):

seatstay bridge bracket:

chainstay bridge (this is where i had to use a P-clamp since there was no mounting hole; i also used an aluminum spacer to achieve a proper fender line):

hope this helps!
Might we see full picture of Comp with fenders ? I’m working on putting together ‘73 right now. Please tell that’s been repainted.
Old 04-15-19, 01:38 AM
GeoffroyFromLux

Bikes: Motobecane CT2 1984

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 9 Posts
This Raleigh seems to be gorgeous!

is there some pics elsewhere
Old 07-15-19, 01:47 PM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowride79

Might we see full picture of Comp with fenders ? I’m working on putting together ‘73 right now. Please tell that’s been repainted.
Originally Posted by GeoffroyFromLux
This Raleigh seems to be gorgeous!

is there some pics elsewhere
Thanks! I sold that Competition years ago. Here's a link to a flickr set, with lots of detail shots. The bike was one of my first complete restorations, and I had it powder coated (not something I would do today).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/751621...57622877327944
Old 07-15-19, 02:13 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Never tried their fenders but Honjo hardware is really classy. Better than what VO and Gilles Berthoud supply. Last bike I built was made using GB stainless fenders and their daruma front and the Honjo rear fender clip.