Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New Embarrassed Rider

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-11, 11:15 AM
thestoutdog
Non sibi sed patriae

Bikes: 2012 Surly Ogre (Shrek), 1985 Raleigh Kodiak, 1995 Specialized Hard Rock, 2009 Citizen Miami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Historian
Stoutie left out the important point that you should ride with someone who looks worse than you do. That way they draw the stares, not you.

Oh yeah, there's that too.

Walk More
Bike More
Hike More
Move More
Eat Less.

https://thestoutdog.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/TheStoutdog
Old 05-05-11, 11:15 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Pub
3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear ...
I've got a friend who's been riding for years and years, and still makes this mistake. The guy has a triple, and mostly keeps it in the big chain ring, even going up hills. And he isn't even a Clyde!

So ... don't sweat it.
Old 05-05-11, 11:20 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I've been doing this for four years now, and I'm still getting embarrassed at times. I try not to let it get to me, and you shouldn't let it get to you either.
Since Tom's posted photos.....

I look like the letter "S." If I can go out and ride looking like that, no reason you can't.

Old 05-05-11, 11:50 AM
freighttraininguphill

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Who the f*ck says anything to anyone about how they're exercising?
People whose parents should have used birth control.

I have a friend who is morbidly obese, at well over 400 pounds. Last year he started a weight loss program. In addition to permanently modifying his eating habits, he bought a Cycle Genius recumbent with a high weight limit from Craigslist. We were riding one night and some punks leaving a party in his neighborhood yelled "Nice fat ass!" from a car. My friend started yelling back at them. I told him to just ignore them. By yelling back you're giving the lowlifes the attention they crave.

He has told me of other similar incidents that happened when he was riding solo. It's even happened to him while he was driving his convertible. People suck!
Old 05-05-11, 11:57 AM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by freighttraininguphill

He has told me of other similar incidents that happened when he was riding solo. It's even happened to him while he was driving his convertible. People suck!
Fat people get mocked all the time. No story there.

Old 05-05-11, 12:02 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
1st, I’m paranoid that people are watching me because to see a Clyde on a bike is not the norm here, at least I have never seen it.

Just get used to that, at least you're out riding, not sitting in a car or on a porch.

2nd, I’m not a fast rider, in fact I am anything but. I just like to take my time while others go at the speed of sound. And that makes me more paranoid because I keep thinking people are laughing at me going slower than them because I’m a Clyde.
I've seen lots of fast people, lots of slow people, i've ridden 8 miles an hour and passed people, I've ridden 20+ and been passed. Only ones laughing would be if they haven't done much riding, otherwise, they've seen it all, too.

3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear and by the time I have figured it out its too late and I can’t pedal so have to get off.
I tried to avoid walking up hills, but never minded stopping to rest when I needed to. (You can pick up the rear wheel and let it spin while you downshift if you need to.)

4th, I’m not confident that a bike will hold up to my weight (310) and the last thing I want is to have to get off because of a broken something or other and have to push it home.
If you ride a bike long enough, you're going to break things or have malfunctions, weight or not. Usually, that means calling someone, not pushing it home, unless you're awfully close. But be prepared. Be prepared to fix flat tires when you're out, that's a more common issue that bikes collapsing under the weight.
Old 05-05-11, 12:05 PM
freighttraininguphill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fat people get mocked all the time. No story there.
That may be true, but it still sucks, and it shows that grown men and women can act like children.
Old 05-05-11, 12:09 PM
Haff
Runaway Breadtruck

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8, Giant Defy Advanced 2, TT Cruiser, GT Zaskar, Diggler scooter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pub
4th, I’m not confident that a bike will hold up to my weight (310) and the last thing I want is to have to get off because of a broken something or other and have to push it home. More paranoia – Clyde pushing a bike because he broke it!!
I've only broken 1 bike. I was 290lbs or so at the time, and I was doing jumps off picnic tables and 4-foot brick walls. (I used to do a lot of trials riding). The bike i was on was a crappy old huffy. It took 3 months of that abuse before it finally gave up. If I hadnt been jumping like that it would have lasted forever.
Old 05-05-11, 12:15 PM
BHOFM

Bikes: Too many to count

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think someone needs to be laughing at the 600+lbs women riding in the electric
carts at Walmart! Maybe it would get the message across!

I think we need a "Prevention of Cruelty to Carts" organization.
Old 05-05-11, 12:17 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pub
Does anyone or did anyone feel embarrassed at first when riding around on a bike?
To be honest I am and that comes from a few reasons.

1st, I’m paranoid that people are watching me because to see a Clyde on a bike is not the norm here, at least I have never seen it.
People are stupid, you can't change that. Counterpoint, maybe you can be someone else's inspiration to get out and lose weight.

2nd, I’m not a fast rider, in fact I am anything but. I just like to take my time while others go at the speed of sound. And that makes me more paranoid because I keep thinking people are laughing at me going slower than them because I’m a Clyde.
No one is fast when they start, it comes with time. When I started commuting (2008), I was barely hitting 13-14 mph average a ride. Now I'm in the 15-20 range depending which way I go among other factors. I have no idea how fast I'll be on my Felt F75....I think I might scare myself. I'm heavily addicted to endorphins though...

3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear and by the time I have figured it out its too late and I can’t pedal so have to get off. Another reason for being paranoid and looking a fool.
Getting off and walking/changing the gear happens. I attack hills and end up regretting it and going to a shorter chainring - triples were created, and are still around, because there is a need.

4th, I’m not confident that a bike will hold up to my weight (310) and the last thing I want is to have to get off because of a broken something or other and have to push it home. More paranoia – Clyde pushing a bike because he broke it!!
Get a steel/aluminum bike and you won't have to worry about the frame breaking. Other stuff breaks, it happens.

Am I being totally stupid here?
No.
Old 05-05-11, 12:20 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd feel embarrassed by staying inside. You are doing the right thing dude! Congrats and stick to it!! We're here for ya.

Last edited by bigbadwullf; 05-05-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-05-11, 01:00 PM
ScottStr

Bikes: Windsor Wellington 3.0

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I weigh almost 320. People have gotten used to seeing me on the bike and I've gotten strong enough that people who look like they're in much better shape than me can't keep up. I still have LOTS of friends I can't keep up with, but they know that we're all capable of different things. The only way to get stronger on the bike is to ride it.

I wear spandex more of the time than most of my skinny friends. I wear other shorts over my bike shorts when I go on pub-crawls of pho rides. I know I'm in better shape now than I was 2 years ago when I weighed 270. I'll get back there and even lower, and I'll be in the best shape of my life.

Like others have said, keep riding. It's much more embarrassing to sit on the couch and think about what you could have done to make yourself better.
Old 05-05-11, 01:01 PM
Laguna Bum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Pub

Here are a couple of blogs you might find inspiring or interesting.

https://istanbultea.typepad.com/largefellaonabike/

https://theamazing39stonecyclist.wordpress.com/

I have found these guy's story amazing.

Keep riding!
Old 05-05-11, 07:07 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Pub,

I am not in your shoes weight wise just nothing interesting on some of the other posts. I've been into fitness and sports every since I can remember. I will probably be exercising in some way when I die. I am the other side of the coin.

So trust me when I say this to you and others. Do not be paranoid, embarrassed, or any other adjective you can think of. You have not given up and are taking control of your life! I would much rather see you out there riding, swimming, etc. as you are than doing nothing at all. Ignore all of the negativity. When I encounter a similar situation as you(in exercise mode) this is what goes through my mind. Great for him/her! They are doing something positive for their wife and their family! But mostly they are doing something for themselves!

Then I hope that I see them again, and again, and again doing whatever they are doing. So push all the negativity out of your mind and keep at it! It doesn't matter what others think don't worry about it.

By the way, nobody looks good in biking attire and I mean nobody.
Old 05-05-11, 07:34 PM
Neil_B

Originally Posted by seypat
By the way, nobody looks good in biking attire and I mean nobody.
Some of us look worse than others.

Old 05-05-11, 10:38 PM
bigbadwullf

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For a little encouragement go to you tube and search for: team hoyt
Old 05-05-11, 11:15 PM
mwchandler21

Bikes: T1K

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided I'd rather be embarrassed to be fat in lycra rather than being fat on the couch or dead at the funeral home.
Old 05-06-11, 03:55 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just one other thing I'd throw into the ring while it's fresh in my mind.

A friend of mine isn't overweight but was a regular smoker for many years. Recently he quit smoking and started cycling to work. His commute is only a couple of miles but does take in a fairly unforgiving hill. He and I normally go out for a ride every couple of weeks or so.

Not so very long ago the effects of his smoking were plainly visible. The slightest incline would leave him struggling, he could only manage 8-10mph even on the flats and after a few miles he'd be wheezing. Having stuck at it (and quit smoking) the results are equally visible. These days he'll hold 15mph or so on the flats, is significantly stronger on hills, and yesterday he and I covered slightly over 15 miles before he started to flag, and then the signs of flagging were that he slowed down a little rather than got off the bike to gulp air.

So stick with it... at first you'll almost certainly be like my friend was (and like I was earlier, and like most of us in here have probably been at some point), but over time you'll get stronger. None of us got to weigh ~300 overnight, and it won't come off overnight either.
Old 05-06-11, 10:33 AM
psalm
A square going nowhere

Bikes: CAAD 8 & CAAD 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pub
I used to worry people were watching me, I would think don't look at me. Now as I ride I want to shout, LOOK AT ME!!!

Originally Posted by Pub
I am the fastest rider on my bike. Whether it's going 3MPH up hill, or 41MPH downhill. I'm going the fastest I possible can, at the time.

Originally Posted by Pub
3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear and by the time I have figured it out its too late and I can’t pedal so have to get off. Another reason for being paranoid and looking a fool.
I got off in the middle of a hill, actually I fell off. I laid on my back, I laughed, I looked around, no one saw me. I walked up the rest of the hill.

Originally Posted by Pub
Started at 315 on a mountain bike, got a CAAD8 at 295. Didn't break either one. I have carried my road bike about a mile home. I didn't feel like changing a flat so close to home so I walked it.

Originally Posted by Pub
No, not right now, but give it some time. After a while you will think you were stupid for thinking all of it. At least I did.
Old 05-06-11, 12:44 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by psalm
No, not right now, but give it some time. After a while you will think you were stupid for thinking all of it.
That's it in a nutshell, right there. A Universal Truth if there ever was one.
Old 05-06-11, 06:20 PM
root11

Bikes: Trek 2300, Cannondale ??, Univega Hyrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my usual ride takes me past a bar that has a nice front porch not far from the road. at the beginning of last summer it was a hecklefest. After going past on a regular basis they regulars started cheering me on.
Old 05-06-11, 07:02 PM
RuggerJoe

Bikes: '23 Marin Muirwods, '90 Specialized Hardrock (gone)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll startoff by sayiong I was 350 at the begining of the year and before I decided to do something about it. now after a few months of adjusting my diet and biking to and from work I'm over 1/3rd of the way to my goal of 220.

.1st, I’m paranoid that people are watching me because to see a Clyde on a bike is not the norm here, at least I have never seen it.

I've watched bug guys and gals on bikes. you know what I was thinking? "There's someone doing something to improve their health. Being passed by a guy bigger than me while being stuck in traffic every night on the way home was my inspiration to start riding.

I am by no means a fast rider. Some times I take it quicker, somtimes I take a nice ride home and enjoy the scenery. the only time i had anyone laugh at me was when I fell over at a red light because I forgot to unclip from my pedal. Frankly I was laughing too.

Just like speed, finding the right gear to take a hill with will come with time. I generally try to get into the highest gear I can when aproaching a hill to build up a little speed. Then as I loose steam I down shift as I needed in order the keep going. Sometimes I end up unclipping and walk the last bit. No shame in that.

I don't know what your riding but I wouldn't sweat it. I'm riding a 20 year old bike and started riding at about 20 lbs heavier than you are now. If you take care of it and don't do anything crazy you should be fine.

Maybe just a little. But don't sweat it. Ultimately it doesn't matter what anyone else out there thinks. Just get out there and ride. You might just inspire someone to take the leap.

Last edited by RuggerJoe; 05-06-11 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-07-11, 02:29 AM
Pub

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. I can tell you it has really changed my attitude and I am looking at this from a very positive angle now, rather than looking at things from the negative side.
Another plus note is that yesterday I was out in the car and saw ( I am more observant when I see a cyclist now to see what type of bike they have) no less than 3 people I would class as clydes, all in full gear – shorts, shirts, helmet, etc. And there is me thinking I am the only one around here......
Once again thanks for the support and above all encouragement...
Old 05-07-11, 09:17 AM
jrawk1120

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding about 2 months ago. I had the same idea. After a few rides, I just stopped caring what other riders thought, and just focused on the task at hand. I weighed 320-325 2 months ago (and could only do 3-4 miles at a time), and am now down to 285 and doing 30+ miles a day. If you're in it for fun, have fun. If people want to have fun by looking at you, let them have it. You'll feel better once the ride is over, and the results will start to show quickly. I'm still figuring out my gearing, it takes time. It's a fun way to get your exercise, and fresh air. And you'd be surprised what bikes can handle for weight. I went from a trek mountain bike, to a road bike quickly, and nothing is the least bit shaky about it.
Old 05-07-11, 10:17 AM
JohnA42

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by goldfinch
I have wonderfully violent fantasies in response to rude drivers, no matter why they were rude. I have this vision of a band of fat and old and middle-aged ladies carrying automatic weapons and dealing out justice wherever we go. Think Kathy Bates as batman and goldfinch as robin.
Where's the "Like" button when you need it?
Likes For JohnA42:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.