Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help with clipless pedals purchase

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 09-21-11, 07:35 PM
JHendrix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32...6437812&sr=8-2

I haven't received them yet, but I'm already regretting the purchase. It seems that they're more for commuting, and they're very heavy. I'm thinking about selling them when I get them and getting another pair of pedals.

These are the ones I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SPD-SL...pr_product_top

Do you think it'd be a wise choice to get the second pair of pedals instead? I usually ride for 10-15 miles.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-11, 07:49 PM
pbd

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Pedals for very different purposes. What kind of riding do you want to do?

The R540 is a road pedal: larger base, lighter, designed for riding long distances, a bit harder to get in and out of it, it uses road shoes (3-hole shoes) which are generally stiffer (good for riding) but not as walkable (bad if you want to walk around when you get where you're going).

The M324, as you said, is a "campus" or commuting pedal: it uses mountain shoes (2-hole shoes) which are much more walkable, and also gives you the option of riding the platform side with no cleats at all. It's great for a commuting bike, a bike that you want the option to ride regular shoes, routes where you have to stop frequently, etc.

You can use either pedal for either purpose, but each will excel in their own unique purposes.

Also, they require different kinds of shoes. The M324 uses the SPD cleat, which is a 2-hole cleat. The R540 uses the SPD-SL cleat, which is a 3-hole cleat. There are some shoes which have holes for both types, but either way your shoe needs to have the required holes to match your pedals.

So do you want walkable shoes? Want the option to ride regular shoes? Want the best/lightest solution possible for road riding? Do you have 2-hole or 3-hole shoes? These are the questions you need to be asking yourself.
Old 09-21-11, 08:04 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, now I realize even more that I shouldn't have bought the M324 pedals. I don't use my bike to commute or anything. It's just to ride around for fun.

I haven't bought road shoes yet. I was looking on Amazon. What would you recommend with those pedals?

Last edited by JHendrix; 09-21-11 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-21-11, 08:13 PM
Carloswithac
Certifiably crazy!

Bikes: Felt Z5, Edict 9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M52...6657589&sr=8-1
I have these and love them!

Amazon is pretty good about cancelling orders, as long as they haven't shipped yet.
Old 09-21-11, 08:29 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I submitted a request to cancel the order, but they said they couldn't. It's strange because the order hasn't even shipped yet.
Old 09-21-11, 08:36 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JHendrix
I put those on my mtb bike because it was also the bike I would do short hops on and didn't want to always have to put on cycling shoes. Also liked that I could clip out on a rough section in case I needed to put my foot down. Was a safety blanket thing when I wasn't very comfortable with clipless. However, I find I have more issues when I try to ride unclipped and they are a pain to clip into at times. If I rode that bike much anymore I'd get different pedals. On a road bike I would only use them if the bike was frequently ridden short distances and I wanted to be able to use regular shoes from time to time. If that's not your goal you will probably be happier with a doubled sided SPD or regular road pedal.
Old 09-21-11, 08:38 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I'll go ahead and buy https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SPD-SL...pr_product_top

I guess I'll just sell the other ones on Craigslist or something.
Old 09-21-11, 08:39 PM
bikerjp
Beer >> Sanity

Bikes: 2014 Evo DA2, 2010 Caad9-4, 2011 Synapse-4, 2013 CaadX-disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I submitted a request to cancel the order, but they said they couldn't. It's strange because the order hasn't even shipped yet.
You can always return stuff to Amazon - they are great. And you can often return stuff without paying shipping. I've never returned something just because I didn't like it, but have had numerous defective or not as described or not as expected items and they always paid return shipping.
Old 09-21-11, 08:41 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll probably have to pay the return shipping in this case because it was my mistake.
Old 09-21-11, 08:43 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazon is pretty quick with shipping. I imagine they have dedicated freight service with UPS. They give you about 30 minutes before the order is put through. It is then prepared for the next truck. It wouldn't make sense for them to pay employees to try to dig packages out for canceled orders.

Amazon does make returning items very easy, so I wouldn't worry about it.

As far as shoes go, I'd go try them on at the store. Cycling shoes don't break in, so if they're uncomfortable in the store they'll be uncomfortable riding. Get "SPD-SL" style shoes. I'd get a strictly road shoe, not one that is advertised as being compatible with both.
Old 09-21-11, 08:44 PM
robberry

Bikes: Trek 3900, Trek 2.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you only ride for 15 minutes, you really don't even need clipless pedals.

I have these dual sided pedals. They look a bit lighter than what you ordered. They are good for clipless, and also have a side to use with regular shoes for short trips.

You should be able to cancel the order if they haven't shipped yet. If you have Prime, the return should be free.
Old 09-21-11, 08:45 PM
ErichM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerjp
You can always return stuff to Amazon - they are great. And you can often return stuff without paying shipping. I've never returned something just because I didn't like it, but have had numerous defective or not as described or not as expected items and they always paid return shipping.
+1. I often joke with my wife that we should just have our income go directly to Amazon and they could give us what's left. I love Amazon, I'll usually buy from them without price shopping other sources (they are often cheapest anyway). I love their customer service and prime shipping is a god send.
Old 09-21-11, 09:42 PM
Biscayne05

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought these https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M32...6437812&sr=8-2

I haven't received them yet, but I'm already regretting the purchase. It seems that they're more for commuting, and they're very heavy. I'm thinking about selling them when I get them and getting another pair of pedals.

These are the ones I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Shimano-SPD-SL...pr_product_top

Do you think it'd be a wise choice to get the second pair of pedals instead? I usually ride for 10-15 miles.

Thanks.
you only ride 10-15 miles and you already complained that the 1st ones heavy? wow.

I do have the R540s right now and they're easy to use once you learn how to use em. They're comfortable even without cycling shoes.
Old 09-21-11, 09:48 PM
JHendrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biscayne05
you only ride 10-15 miles and you already complained that the 1st ones heavy? wow.

I do have the R540s right now and they're easy to use once you learn how to use em. They're comfortable even without cycling shoes.
As stated before, I haven't even received them. After comparing them to other products, I realized that they're pretty heavy. Also, they aren't even compatible with road bike shoes.
Old 09-21-11, 10:25 PM
DGozinya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The difference is 190g. "Pretty heavy" is pretty relative. Yes, pretty heavy for a sub-16 pound bike. Not pretty heavy for a 25-30 pound urban commuter. It all adds up, but maybe not so much in the grand scheme of things.
Old 09-21-11, 10:52 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
as far as shoes check out this page. https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Categor...egoryId=202527
nashbar can outfit you for $40-50. these will work w/ the road pedals you linked.they also have their own brand of pedals that will save you some cash. https://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...9_10000_202531
Old 09-21-11, 11:27 PM
waynesworld
Papaya King

Bikes: 2009 Felt X City D, 1985 (?) Trek 400, 1995 (?) Specialized Rockhopper, 1995 Trek 850

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have the M-324's, and I like them. I wanted to be able to ride with or without special shoes, and I wanted cycling shoes that were walkable. They are my first clipless pedals, and they've been very nice.
Old 09-22-11, 07:05 AM
baj32161
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 29 Posts
What kind of bike are you riding and what kind of riding are you doing where you are worrying about the weight of your pedals?

These weight concerns are SO misguided. I would worry about what type of riding I am going to be doing LONG before I would even be the least bit concerned with the weight of the pedals. I would like anyone to tel me that they can feel a few grams difference between a set of pedals, all else being equal. Matching to my riding style, durability, comfort of pedal along with matching the shoes and cleat are my concerns LONG before weight.

― Bruce Lee
Old 09-22-11, 10:56 AM
gw280

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if it's within your budget, but I thoroughly recommend Speedplay pedals. I used to ride Look Keo pedals which are very similar to the SPD-SL road pedals by Shimano, but found that I'd get a bit of knee trouble, and that all went away when I switched to Speedplays. Plus, they're double sided

If you're only doing it for recreational that's what I'd recommend anyway. Weight savings really shouldn't be a factor when choosing pedals. Choose the ones that are comfortable and right for you.
Old 09-22-11, 11:14 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Skip lunch. That will make up the difference in the pedal weight.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 09-22-11, 11:32 AM
tanguy frame

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just understand that the type of cleats you buy now will probably be with you for a LONG LONG time. Once you get used to a cleat, you invest in shoes, pedals, cleats, and you'll find that switching costs are high and you'll be riding them for 20 years. So pick carefully. I ride SPD's. My friend wants me to use Time. Switching would cost >250 for pedals, shoes, cleats, and new socks, plus that new set of tires, and a replacement front derraileur.
Old 09-22-11, 12:15 PM
generalkdi

Bikes: Argon18 Gallium 2016, Trek Emonda SL6 Pro 2018, Salsa Beargrease

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gw280
I don't know if it's within your budget, but I thoroughly recommend Speedplay pedals. I used to ride Look Keo pedals which are very similar to the SPD-SL road pedals by Shimano, but found that I'd get a bit of knee trouble, and that all went away when I switched to Speedplays. Plus, they're double sided

If you're only doing it for recreational that's what I'd recommend anyway. Weight savings really shouldn't be a factor when choosing pedals. Choose the ones that are comfortable and right for you.
+1 for speedplay, if you don't want any knee problem.