Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your bike with fenders!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your bike with fenders!

Old 01-23-18, 03:19 PM
CampioneDItalia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Do fenders affect the ride of a bike?

I want to build a "high performance" commuter. Will I feel "drag" from the fenders?
Old 01-23-18, 03:21 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CampioneDItalia

I want to build a "high performance" commuter. Will I feel "drag" from the fenders?
Funny you should ask. Read this: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...slow-you-down/
Old 01-23-18, 03:26 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,459 Times in 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by palincss
Funny thing; he goes into detail about the front fender but doesn't mention the back fender at all! The same moto GP bike he gives as an example has no rear fender.
Brent
Old 01-23-18, 03:54 PM
gomango

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
Funny thing; he goes into detail about the front fender but doesn't mention the back fender at all! The same moto GP bike he gives as an example has no rear fender.
Brent
I was curious about that as well.

The Honda Africa Twin I am considering has a substantial front fender, yet just an integrated rear.

I intend to ride extensively off-road on a multi-month trip after I retire, so these are good things to ponder in advance.

Old 01-23-18, 05:38 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by CampioneDItalia
It's an extra pound or two, so the fenders will make the bike slightly heavier to carry, and feel a little bit weightier when tossing it back and forth out of the saddle.

Will I feel "drag" from the fenders?
Fenders are inline with the wheels, frame, drivetrain, etc. Everything is drafting everything else. It's likely that fenders usually increase the air drag of a bike, but it's a small enough effect that it's not easy to measure either way.

I have fenders on a few bikes that I use for go-fast road riding, and they still perform well.
Old 01-23-18, 06:04 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by HTupolev
I have fenders on a few bikes that I use for go-fast road riding, and they still perform well.
Agreed.

I have fenders on my Croll, which is my "rain" bike.

I don't notice the fenders until it rains or is slushy.

Then they are a godsend.

Wish I could fit a little more tire in there though.
Old 01-23-18, 06:10 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
I don't notice the fenders until it rains or is slushy.
In sunny weather, silver fenders serve the critical function of blinding your enemies.
Old 01-23-18, 06:20 PM
gomango

Originally Posted by HTupolev
In sunny weather, silver fenders serve the critical function of blinding your enemies.

Hah, it's overcast here constantly in the fall/winter......

Probably blind myself and hit a parked car.
Old 03-13-18, 11:29 AM
HEH3RD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Thanks! This bike popped up here one or two owners ago, supposedly one of only three factory canti Paramounts from '77. Being a '70s bike, it was built for 27" wheels, 1-1/4" tires, and the canti boss spacing is very narrow. Getting 700c wheels, fatter tires and fenders to fit was all a bit of a chore. Shimano CX70 cantis had enough shoe height adjustability to hit the rims square at the bottom of the slot, and low-profile shoes made the spacing OK. The Honjos are one of the longer models (forgot the model #), and these are actually 650b fenders, which I find fit 700cx32mm tires better than 700c Honjos, much less reprofiling needed. Tire/fender clearance is OK, a bit on the tight side---30mm tires might be ideal.

I like the Arkel Tailrider bag. It's got enough compartments to be useful, the top is expandable so it's easy to jam more stuff in, mounting straps work fine. My only complaint is that the rear flap, which has a blinkie tab, sits at a 45-deg angle to the ground i/o 90-deg, so the blinkie points towards the ground i/o straight back. I have a blinkie mounted on the rack, so it's not a problem, but it is a weird design choice. It's also got no C&V cred whatsoever, but my bikes are always a mashup, so that doesn't bother me. That said, I might find a smaller rack trunk for the front rack and move the Sackville to the rear.

Took me a while to get the silver Tubus rack, which is kinda close to a paint match, but it's way overkill for just holding a rack trunk. Since this bike will never see panniers, I have a VO Constructeur rear rack waiting to get installed. It won't save much wait, but it'll get the bag lower, give me some additional fender mounting points, and won't look nearly as massive.

I am building up a Waterford restored/mod 75 Paramount (touring model) with 700c wheels. I purchased Soma Vitesse 33mm on 17.5 (internal) rims. Wonderful volume. However, they fit with about 4mm space to the fork crown - doable w/o fenders. However, I REALLY want to run with fenders. I am wondering if 28's will work for fender clearance . What tires are you running on your absolutely wonderful Paramount? I don't see how 32's would work with what I have. Thanks!
Old 03-16-18, 07:04 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Glad you like the Paramount.

Fender clearance can get tricky. It's partly physics, partly what kind of clearance you're comfortable with. And whether you want to do some hacking or not.

Simple math, the only kind I know how to do, says that if you've got 4mm clearance with 33s, you ought get around 7mm with 30s, and 9mm with 28s. As long as the overall tire height changes consistently with width. Which may or may not be the case.

Best thing is to just try a couple different tires and see how it looks.

Possible hacks at the fork crown:
1. Cut/split the fenders, attaching the rear part to the rear of the crown, front to front. So no fender section underneath. You'd need an extra strut up front to support the front fender section, or attach it directly to a front rack, if you're using one. Gives up full coverage, and doesn't protect the bottom headset bearings, but lets you keep that nice volume. This is a not-uncommon hack at the rear of racier frames, but I can't see any reason you couldn't do it up front, with extra support for the front chunk, as noted.
2. Don't know how you're setting this up, but if you're planning to use a daruma, cutting the threads shorter and using a recessed brake mounting nut from the inside of the fender gives you less protrusion than having the daruma threads protrude into the fender, anchored with a nut.

My Paramount is running Compass Stampede Pass tires, so 700x32. It's a little too early/cold to run around the garage with calipers, but I'm likely looking at 30-32mm width, and I've got maybe 8mm clearance under the front fender. Using a daruma at the crown, setup like in #2 above.

I'm sorry to say that good ol' trial-and-error is what you're looking at if you want to maximize tire width. Or just use 28s.

Originally Posted by HEH3RD
I am building up a Waterford restored/mod 75 Paramount (touring model) with 700c wheels. I purchased Soma Vitesse 33mm on 17.5 (internal) rims. Wonderful volume. However, they fit with about 4mm space to the fork crown - doable w/o fenders. However, I REALLY want to run with fenders. I am wondering if 28's will work for fender clearance . What tires are you running on your absolutely wonderful Paramount? I don't see how 32's would work with what I have. Thanks!

Last edited by pcb; 03-16-18 at 07:18 AM.
Old 03-16-18, 07:14 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Updates....no new fendered machines in the herd. I just sold the Boulder (sniff), got the VO Constructeur rack on the back of the Paramount and went 1x, and 1x on the Kirk Terraplane. And though I'd sworn myself to black saddles forever, I did get a white saddle for the Kirk not long after I took this photo.

Old 03-16-18, 08:23 AM
tiredhands 
Sempiternal Newb

Bikes: '92 Trek 750, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '95 Stumpjumper,

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
Updates....no new fendered machines in the herd. I just sold the Boulder (sniff), got the VO Constructeur rack on the back of the Paramount and went 1x, and 1x on the Kirk Terraplane. And though I'd sworn myself to black saddles forever, I did get a white saddle for the Kirk not long after I took this photo.
Wow, that Paramount is pure class! I always find your builds to be very inspirational - taking the best parts of the old world and new to make very rideable and elegant machines. Chapeau!
Old 03-16-18, 01:08 PM
HEH3RD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PCP - Thanks for the response! I think my Paramount was built for 700c to begin with as it has the top tube cable guides on the non-drive side which suggest it was designed for the Campy calipers (as opposed to the standard center-pulls). As I understand, 700c was the size of choice for those calipers. I just ordered some 28mm tires along with some Handsome Cycles copper fenders. I throw a picture out once the build is complete. I'll hold on to those nice 33mm tires for a bit as I really like the volume but I may sell them at a later time.
Old 03-16-18, 01:21 PM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
1981 18-speed Fuji S-12-S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
006.jpg (50.5 KB, 339 views)
Old 03-16-18, 04:29 PM
AustinFitz

Bikes: 1984 Centurion Elite GT 15, 1985 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott, 1983 Diamond Back Ridge Runner, 1985 Mongoose ATB, 1987 Ross Centaur, 1986 Raleigh Marathon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb

Beautiful! I'm in love with the bags on your Paramount. They're pretty much exactly what I hope to be able to afford one day for my Centurion. Only difference would be I want them in tan.
Old 07-13-19, 12:52 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Thought I'd resurrect this thread and add my Peugeot.
Steel is real. Bring on the slop.

Old 07-13-19, 02:48 PM
GeoffroyFromLux

Bikes: Motobecane CT2 1984

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Thought I'd resurrect this thread and add my Peugeot.
Steel is real. Bring on the slop.

That's a really nice randonneur

What kind of decaleur did you use for your handlebar bag?
have you some detailed pics?
Old 07-13-19, 03:28 PM
BFisher

@GeoffroyFromLux,
Why thank you!

Here is my bag support in all its homemade glory:

It was a shower caddie hanger in its past life. Works great. I haul two half gallon glass bottles of milk in that bag, plus ice pack, with no problems.

Old 07-13-19, 04:48 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,237 Times in 686 Posts
My Gazelle Lausanne. It is not yet being ridden by its new owner but then again, she won't be seeing it for another week.

Old 07-13-19, 05:39 PM
GeoffroyFromLux

Bikes: Motobecane CT2 1984

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 9 Posts
Wow that's a great Homemade decaleur, thx for sharing

here is mine without handlebar bag for the moment
but I think I will try your clever idea

Last edited by GeoffroyFromLux; 07-13-19 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-13-19, 05:55 PM
BFisher

Nice Motobecane!

I have one with that same paint job, although no fenders.
Old 07-15-19, 06:43 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
A few of my bikes with fenders.

My Miele MTB converted to drop bar and bar-end shifters.

My Miele Uno SL converted to cantilever brakes and used for touring on roads.

Miele Uno SL used as a pick-up truck to bring home a dehumidifier.

My Giant Butte converted to drop bar and bar-end shifters.

Another Giant MTB converted to drop bar and bar-end shifters.

Cheers
Old 07-15-19, 07:21 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Cannondale M500 I built up from a co-op frame as a weight loss bike. Now it'll be an all weather town beater. I still need to adjust the handlebar.

Old 07-15-19, 07:59 PM
Velognome 
Get off my lawn!

Bikes: 1917 Loomis, 1923 Rudge, 1930 Hercules Renown, 1947 Mclean, 1948 JA Holland, 1955 Hetchins, 1957 Carlton Flyer, 1962 Raleigh Sport, 1978&81 Raleigh Gomp GS', 2010 Raliegh Clubman

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 48 Posts
Look carefully...there is a front fender, period Bluemel's

Some contemporary fenders on a vintage Road/Path

And who luvs Shorties....this guy
Old 07-15-19, 09:53 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Always looking for an excuse to post pictures of my bike, a 1983 Schwinn Voyageur that is my daily commuter/everything bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.