Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a dumb trainer?

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 03-02-20, 08:25 PM
BassManNate

Bikes: Motobecane Strada Ltd. 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

So, last year, I was really starting to make some progress outside. Better endurance, faster riding, etc. Then it got cold and wet and life got busy. Now, I feel like I'm going to be starting from square one come spring.

I just want something to keep in shape during the winter that I can put my bike on in the basement and ride a few times per week. What route would you go? Magnetic? Fluid? I would like to find something under $100 if possible. Not super urgent as it's starting to warm up here and I'll be able to get out in the next month. Probably something to look into next fall.
Old 03-03-20, 09:01 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
craigslist or ebay, you should find something for $100. For your budget probably magnetic. If I lived near you I'd sell you mine for 50
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 03-03-20, 09:24 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Another suggestion for a decent magnetic trainer. They work fine, and with a wheel speed sensor, cadence sensor and heart rate monitor and a few good GCN training videos you can get some serious work done.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-03-20, 10:35 PM
BassManNate

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good idea on used. Any particular reason to go magnetic over fluid? I've read that the fan based ones are the most realistic in resistance but NOISY. I took a quick look on Facebook marketplace and there's a few in my area. Might try Craigslist too but find it tends to be filled with flaky people.

While looking at used, anything I should be looking for in particular?
Old 03-03-20, 11:27 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by BassManNate
While looking at used, anything I should be looking for in particular?
CycleOps or Saris make good trainers. Mag is quieter than a fan, and usually cheaper than a fluid trainer, even used. Mag trainers typically have a straight linear power curve vs fluid trainers, which have increasing resistance as speed increases. They’re all good for indoor training, whether wind, fluid or magnetic. Trainers provide the earth, wind or water... you provide the fire.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 03-05-20, 12:48 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by BassManNate
So, last year, I was really starting to make some progress outside. Better endurance, faster riding, etc. Then it got cold and wet and life got busy. Now, I feel like I'm going to be starting from square one come spring.

I just want something to keep in shape during the winter that I can put my bike on in the basement and ride a few times per week. What route would you go? Magnetic? Fluid? I would like to find something under $100 if possible. Not super urgent as it's starting to warm up here and I'll be able to get out in the next month. Probably something to look into next fall.
Kurt Kinetic. Buy a used one on Craigslist for $50-$100.

The increased inertia feels better, and may make indoor power numbers closer to outdoor. The resistance is more stable with temperature, leakage is less likely with a magnetic coupling to the fluid resistance unit not a shaft with a seal that can leak, and it's more stable.

Kurt Kinetic Pro on left with 18 pounds (6 standard +12 pro upgrade) of flywheel, 3000W maximum resistance, 5.2 cm roller to limit slippage.
Performance Travel Trac right with 3 pounds and 1000W maximum, 3 cm roller.

Likes For Drew Eckhardt:
Old 03-05-20, 02:24 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Watch the local ads, craigslist and such. You can get a great deal on a trainer. Kurt are really nice or any name brand will be good too.
Old 07-04-20, 07:03 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Kurt Kinetic. Buy a used one on Craigslist for $50-$100.

The increased inertia feels better, and may make indoor power numbers closer to outdoor. The resistance is more stable with temperature, leakage is less likely with a magnetic coupling to the fluid resistance unit not a shaft with a seal that can leak, and it's more stable.

Kurt Kinetic Pro on left with 18 pounds (6 standard +12 pro upgrade) of flywheel, 3000W maximum resistance, 5.2 cm roller to limit slippage.
Performance Travel Trac right with 3 pounds and 1000W maximum, 3 cm roller.

I have one of these. Bought it new in 2013 and used it to rehab after an ankle break. Still works fine. If you don't mind a dumb trainer, their fluid trainer is in many ways ideal. As an additional merit, it doesn't leak. I've also seen them listed used for $50.
Old 07-13-20, 06:35 PM
BassManNate

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Figured I would give an update. Found a used CycleOps magnetic trainer for $50 on Facebook last week. Thought about getting the proper skewer but it looks like the one on the bike fits on the trainer fine. Any thoughts on whether this might become a problem later?
Old 07-14-20, 07:03 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
I used an old steel skewer so the clamps wouldn't chew up my nicer skewer.
Likes For clasher:
Old 07-24-20, 10:04 PM
Madmonk1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What I've been using

Have an old Performance fluid trainer with adjustable tension. Mounted a fixed gear ride I built up from an old Schwinn sports tourer. Trainer at least 20 years old and frame easily fifty. Have a long wire cateye set up and wear a heart rate monitor. This works for me and I didn't have to get a reverse mortgage to pay for it.
Old 07-24-20, 10:07 PM
Madmonk1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=Madmonk1;21605757]Have an old Performance fluid trainer with adjustable tension. Mounted a fixed gear ride I built up from an old Schwinn sports tourer. Trainer at least 20 years old and frame easily fifty. Have a long wire cateye set up and wear a heart rate monitor. This works for me and I didn't have to get a reverse mortgage to pay for it. I keep a logbook the old school way. Pen and notebook.
Old 07-29-20, 06:52 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
I have an older Cyclops Magneto trainer that I started using to see if I liked indoor training. I started watching the GCN spin videos which were great and then bought a couple of sensors and an ANT USB dongle and started Zwifting Was hooked and went out and bought a smart trainer and have been Zwifting for nearly 3 years and love it.
Any relatively new (as in 2000 and up) bike will mount with no problems. I did find an older 10 speed style bike was a bit more tricky as the widths of the rear forks are very different.